• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wintec Woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wintec Woes

    I have always been an English rider, and as I've grown older, I've developed some fear-issues. I like the occasional trail ride, and want more security than my dressage saddle offers, so went out and bought a new Wintec western saddle. I'm finding that this thing, with its stiff fenders and immovable stirrups, really hurts and fatigues my knees and ankles, and am wondering if anyone can suggest anything that would make this more comfortable? I emailed Wintec to see if they offer any accessories, but they didn't reply. I'm not interested in aesthetics and how "proper" they look -- I just want my poor knees and ankles to be comfortable.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks!!

    -- Danelle in MA

  • #2
    Cashel stirrup turners, thick cushioned endurance stirrups and a sheepskin seat saver should all help!

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure how comfortable they are, but I have seen these stirrup-rotator/ in catalogs.
      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks so much for the great suggestions; I'll check them out!

        Comment


        • #5
          AND stick a broom handle thru the stirrups to turn the fenders so that the stirrups are in the correct position for your feet....keep saddle stored like this always!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wylde sage View Post
            AND stick a broom handle thru the stirrups to turn the fenders so that the stirrups are in the correct position for your feet....keep saddle stored like this always!
            Does this work with the (synthetic) Wintecs?

            Many thanks,

            -- Danelle

            Comment


            • #7
              Sell the Wintec and get an Abetta Brushpopper... double memory foam seat, extra high cantle, easy to turn fenders with no break-in, comes with thick endurance stirrups!

              http://www.buytack.com/products-saddles/act/20555.htm

              Two of my clients who have previously broken their backs ride in the saddle in great comfort.

              I always tell my clients that Wintec does English synthetic well and Abetta does western!
              Big Idea Eventing

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, it needs to stay like that all the time to get the material to bend but it Will help. I have had a Wintec western and the fenders were fairly well turned. I also thought it was a pretty comfy saddle, narrow twist and decent seat. Good Luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I rode in a western-style endurance saddle, the fenders drove me crazy. I replaced them with Wintec webbers put on "upside down"...I unscrewed the bolt on my EZ ride stirrups and put the part that normally goes on the stirrup bar through there, and then threaded the rest through the western tree. MUCH more comfortable than the fenders for someone used to riding English.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                    When I rode in a western-style endurance saddle, the fenders drove me crazy. I replaced them with Wintec webbers put on "upside down"...I unscrewed the bolt on my EZ ride stirrups and put the part that normally goes on the stirrup bar through there, and then threaded the rest through the western tree. MUCH more comfortable than the fenders for someone used to riding English.
                    Karen, this sounds like a great idea -- I tend to need to visualize something ... would you, by chance, have a photo of this set-up?

                    Also, how hard is it to remove the fenders on a Wintec western?

                    Thanks so much, everyone!

                    -- Danelle

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Try an Arabian Saddle Company Solstice. Deep, very secure, and COMFY soft to ride in.

                      I have never found a Wintec comfortable. Sold mine early on. Such a good idea, great price, great look, but doesn't ride well and horses hated it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        can't you just take the icky western fenders off and replace with good stirrup straps?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I always tell my clients that Wintec does English synthetic well and Abetta does western!
                          Thorowgood does English synthetic well, I think you mean, not Wintec. Really only the Wintec Isabell works imho, and only then on the narrower settings. For A/P or jumping, you usually want to go with Thorowgood.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My riding buddy swears the Wintec western saddles are like riding a cinder block. The one I had didnt feel QUITE that bad to me, but nowhere near as comfy as my Abetta special trail saddle. Synthetic Big Horns are also comfortable, and I have heard good things about Fabtrons. And speaking of which, you can buy replacement Abetta or Fabtron fenders, which are cordura and a lot more flexible (and lighter) than the Wintec fenders and put them on the wintec. Or regular or webber stirrup leathers will go just fine through the fender slot as previously noted. Or you can put Aussie fenders on a western saddle.

                            If you are using regular leathers and endurance stirrups you can take velcro tie strips and take a couple wraps around the bottom loop of the leathers to keep things from flopping around.

                            There are plenty of stirrup turning options less pricey than the cashels. The problem with any EZ knees turner is it adds two inches or so to the effective length of the leather. On my abetta I had to put extra holes in the leathers in order to get them short enough with turners, and I am 5'7" and ride with long stirrups anyway. Nylon dog collars are a cheap alternative to fancier turners and dont add nearly as much length. You loop them through the bottom of the fender and the stirrup bar and buckle em up tight. Be sure to snug your stirrup hobbles up and you are good to go. You can probably get the collars for a couple bucks at a dollar store--get good stout 1" wide collars about 16 to 18 inches long.

                            Taking fenders off is easier than putting fenders on. When you go to put new fenders on, thread a piece of baling twine through the stirrup slot first, tie it on to the new fender, and haul 'er through. You might need a miner's headlamp and a spare hand, especially on a new synthetic, but the slot IS there and the fenders WILL come out and go back in.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You can slid the fenders off and use English leathers. Very simple to do. And you will be happier.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Danelle View Post
                                Karen, this sounds like a great idea -- I tend to need to visualize something ... would you, by chance, have a photo of this set-up?

                                Also, how hard is it to remove the fenders on a Wintec western?

                                Thanks so much, everyone!

                                -- Danelle
                                Very easy to remove. A good trick is before removing tace a piece of twine and tie your English leathers to your western using the holes on the leathers. As you pull the western one off the English one should follow since they are tied together.

                                It can be a little tricky getting the English leathers in the right spot if not done being tied. Hope you can figure that out not good at explaining how I do it.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Not only do I like this comment I agree! I will also say any of the newer Abettas ride like a two by four and from what I have seen the horses all agree!

                                  Originally posted by jeano View Post
                                  My riding buddy swears the Wintec western saddles are like riding a cinder block. The one I had didnt feel QUITE that bad to me, but nowhere near as comfy as my Abetta special trail saddle. Synthetic Big Horns are also comfortable, and I have heard good things about Fabtrons. And speaking of which, you can buy replacement Abetta or Fabtron fenders, which are cordura and a lot more flexible (and lighter) than the Wintec fenders and put them on the wintec. Or regular or webber stirrup leathers will go just fine through the fender slot as previously noted. Or you can put Aussie fenders on a western saddle.

                                  If you are using regular leathers and endurance stirrups you can take velcro tie strips and take a couple wraps around the bottom loop of the leathers to keep things from flopping around.

                                  There are plenty of stirrup turning options less pricey than the cashels. The problem with any EZ knees turner is it adds two inches or so to the effective length of the leather. On my abetta I had to put extra holes in the leathers in order to get them short enough with turners, and I am 5'7" and ride with long stirrups anyway. Nylon dog collars are a cheap alternative to fancier turners and dont add nearly as much length. You loop them through the bottom of the fender and the stirrup bar and buckle em up tight. Be sure to snug your stirrup hobbles up and you are good to go. You can probably get the collars for a couple bucks at a dollar store--get good stout 1" wide collars about 16 to 18 inches long.

                                  Taking fenders off is easier than putting fenders on. When you go to put new fenders on, thread a piece of baling twine through the stirrup slot first, tie it on to the new fender, and haul 'er through. You might need a miner's headlamp and a spare hand, especially on a new synthetic, but the slot IS there and the fenders WILL come out and go back in.

                                  Comment

                                  Working...
                                  X