• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anybody use Thorogood saddles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use Thorogood saddles?

I've been curious about them and the 'fish' fitting system. I've used an older thorogood, and it's comfy and fits a wider backed horse, they are very affordable. Apparently they have gel in the seat. Would like to hear from anybody who has experience with them.

Sorry, mine is pre-fish. But I love it! I actually had a bit of a bronco ride today in it (maresie is in heat... and quite ornery ), and the fake suede seat has once again saved my ass from hitting the dirt.

It also fits my tank-like bulldog QH well.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

My husband has two Thorowgood dressage saddles. The older one doesn't have fish, but does have a gel seat. The newer one didn't advertise as having a gel seat. It does have fish, but not the changeable gullets they now offer. The quality is really nice in a synthetic and they look more like leather saddles. We have the high wither saddkes for our TB's and the fish are really easy to use. You insert a pair of red shims, the "fish" into pockets located on the front panel under the flap, choose the thick or thin pair, or leave them out for the widest position. It's an interesting idea, especially since it changes the width at a lower position than if you were to just change the gullet.

Comment

Well I personally hated the Thorowgood I had (pre-fish), but that's not to say that other people don't like them. Everything about the saddle was awful from look to feel to fit. The saddle fitter told me the Fish system is awful because it's a hard plastic shim that creates pressure in one tiny spot against the horse's back. She quit selling the saddles in her shop and recommends people to steer clear. But I have no personal experience with the Fish. I only know what she told me.

Comment

I love Thorowgood saddles. I actually have 3 now! A dressage for my Tb., and an AP and dressage for my Arab mare.

One has the Fish system, but honestly, I've never changed the fish out or done anything with them, because the saddle fits so well that I dont have to. The other saddles are pre-fish.

I love them because they fit so well and are so comfortable, correct, and CHEAP! I am going the dressage/jumping/eventing route with my mare instead of endurance for now, and it was so great to be able to pick up a dressage saddle that I love for $200. When you have 3 horses all different sizes that cant wear the same tack, and you do different disciplines with them all, its hard to buy expensive saddles.

I also think they are fabulous for wide horses.

I only had one bad experience with them. About 5 years ago, I bought a Jill Thomas endurance model for my gelding. It appeared to fit him but his back was super sore after the first 50 we did in it so I sold it and bought a DeSoto, which I love.

Comment

I had the Jill Thomas model. Probably one of the first saddles I bought for my mutton -withered Morab. I used it with a Skito pad and LOVED it.

It really ended up being to small for my keester, so I sold it to my dear friend and riding buddy, and she LOVES it. Does not do endurance in anything else, and uses it on multiple horses.

I wish I could have gotten another one, but they do not make them (the Jill Thomas one) in 18". Most say I do not need an 18", but I like the comfort they offer.

Dover distributes them in the U.S, and they are on ebay from time to time. Dover says you can order the Jill Thomas ones if you prefer. I got the one in an x wide tree.

Oh, all pre-FISH. Was not real keen on that new system, anyway.

Comment

• Original Poster

That is interesting about the 18", because that is usually what I buy, not because my a$$ is huge, but because i have a fairly long thigh, and the smaller saddles usually put my knee over the roll at jumping length. It was a dressage model I sat in in the store, and it felt pretty comfy. I have to buy on the sly though, and hide it from my snobby daughter.

Comment

My daughter has a Thorowgood Maxam that she loves. Bought it cheap on ebay and it's held up pretty well.

Comment

Used Thorogood Saddle

I have a Thorogood and LOVE IT. Its a Lucinda Green, great shape. I dont think you are allowed to post items for sale, but this is just in response to your email, and it happens to be for sale, cheap. The Thorogoods just always seem to fit so well, and fit a variety of horses.

Kim
                  www.GallopingGrape.com

The Galloping Grape
                  65 East Franklin Street
                  Warrenton, VA 20186
                  540-428-1002
                  Kim
                  The Galloping Grape
                  Warrenton, VA
                  http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Comment

I have the Jill Thomas and love it. My friend has an all purpose and just loves hers. We call them our sticky saddles. More than once we have been saved from the ground after a big spinning spook.

Comment

Sonata,
                      Where did you buy yours?

Comment

I have a very ancient Thorogood saddle which I love, one of the very early synthetic saddles
                        made in the mid-1980s. Model is a Coventry, the model being bought and made by another
                        company later, I gather. This saddle was bought for a short backed and wide arab whose
                        owner was then doing endurance in a dressage saddle. The saddle is still in very good
                        condition today after carrying many a beginning riding student around. I'd love to get
                        another, epecially an all purpose or jumping model but have never seen one for sale.
                        Saddle has simulated pigskin seat made of something like neoprene and easily replaceable
                        long billets. Cutback. Wool flocked. Wish I could find another.
                        Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
                        Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

Diamond Jake. I got mine at Jupiter Tack in FL. Don't know if they still carry. My friend got her All Purpose at Dover Saddlery. Her saddle has longer flaps than some and they seem to be straighter. She says it is very comfortable. Took her a few rides to get used to it because she always rode in a close contact forward knee rolled saddle.

Comment

Careful! I had a used one I bought on Ebay. It was very noisy! I have a Wintec and I prefer the Wintec seat. I felt like I was on top of the Thorowgood, as opposed to seated in the Wintec. For the price I could have gotten used to that, but the noise was awful! Very squeeky! When the saddle was used on a lesson horse the kids couldn't hear the trainer most of the time!

Comment

Very interesting replies. I would love nothing more than to have my very own Thorowgood T4 High Wither Dressage saddle, but Dover has been telling me for almost 5 months now that the 18" seat is on back order. They said, wait "until April". So, April arrives, I send Dover my order for the saddle, they email me back with great news! The saddle is IN STOCK and will arrive in 2-3 business days. Whooppeeee!!!

Then 3 days later, I get another email from Dover, saying the saddles are STILL on back order and won't be shipped until MAYBE July!!! The problem is that I want the 18" seat. They have plenty of smaller sizes in stock. Why, oh why does NO RETAILER realize that we are not all little teenee, tiny petite riders with no butts???!!!

I guess Dover didn't want my Economic Stimulus Package Rebate Check, which I was totally willing to spend on a beautiful new Thorowgood dressage saddle. I got so mad I just cancelled the order and bought something else.

But I LOVE a nice, cushy, sticky Thorowgood over a Wintec any day! Too bad they are so hard to find (in larger sizes).
                              Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

Comment

I have a Thorogood Griffin saddle that I found on eBay about 2 years ago now. I absolutely LOVE it!!! I used to jump in it all the time, it went for many gallops with my pony and I (and sometimes just the pony ). It doesn't fit my horse that great right now unless I have just the right pads (it was bought for a super wide pony), and it probably won't fit the new horse I'm looking at at all, which has me sad already. But, I refuse to sell the saddle, because I am so in love with it. Everyone that has sat in it has loved it, and we are all different builds/have different preferences, so I was surprised that everyone liked it. It is very comfortable, has those removable blocks (that I removed last fall and now I can't find...a problem because I want to jump and refuse to without those!). I got it lightly used, it was a true find.

Comment

Working...
                                X