• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Glad I am just a low maintenance trail rider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad I am just a low maintenance trail rider

First of all it is a low cost horse hobby compared to show competitions. Most of my 'horse friends' are not trail riders they are show competitors, alot of them Eventers, and I really feel bad for them in this economy. They are really hurting $ wise. My board hasn't gone up and most likely won't and I am now able to keep my rig at the barn so I only have to trailer 6 miles if I want to ride at my favorite park. Or I can just access a few trails from my barn. Although it is their choice to spend alot of money on horses, lessons, board, equipment, travel (which alot of trail riders think is ridiculous) I still hope things turn around.
    Glad I am just a low maintenance trail rider....and yes Sublimequine HAIL THE MIGHTY TRAIL HORSE.

I think trail riding is the best sport in the world. You and your horse in the great outdoors. A ride on a sunny day with nice friends to ride and chat with just can't be beat. A really good trail horse is a true gem, and should be greatly treasured.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Well, in one regard I can happily say "me to" but I disagree somewhat.

Unless you are lucky enough to have adequate trails close to home, you can spend a fortune trailering out. For instance this weekend I shelled out about $80 in fuel just to go ride 13 miles.

I bought a $90 breastcollar, a $90 girth (two of them), a $200 saddle pad, a $70 saddle pad, $200 hoof boots, and other expensive items to outfit my horse for endurance riding. Not including saddle, bridle, camping equipment, corral charger, etc. It can be very expensive. I have blankets and sheets of various weights for trailering. I'm about to invest in the Cool Medics stuff for me for summer riding. A new $99 helmet. A used, $100 GPS. I need a HRM so bad. That's another couple hundred.

Okay, that's only for 1 horse! I have 3 that I trail ride, one endurance horse, and they all have their own gear! haaaa, yeeeeesh, it's scary.

I just shelled out $25 for a state trail pass sticker, and then you average about $15 per state trail for an annual usage pass. $25 for a trails guidebook for this state. $30 for a Gazateer for finding my way around all the complicated, podunk back roads looking for campgrounds and trails. $100 for a tent because I don't have LQs in my trailer. $80 for a memory foam mattress so I can actually walk in the morning after sleeping in tent.

Also when you're hauling your horses all over you should vaccinate for everything known to man. That's more expensive than if you don't leave your property.

I've found this to be fairly expensive. Not really cheaper than showing at all. Way cheaper than lessons and clinics though, definitely. I don't know, I guess whatever you do with horses it's expensive until you get all your tack bought and paid for, and you trail ride around home.

The fuel for hauling to places is the real kicker right now.

Comment

I agree. I have a show horse and an endurance horse, and the only reason I spend more on the show horse is because I compete him more often. I spend about the same on tack, upkeep, all that. I figured out that shows and endurance rides are pretty comparable cost wise, too, because I show as cheaply as possible and I have to drive pretty far to get to most rides while I've got a ton of shows in my area, so it about balances out.

I guess if you're taking multiple lessons each week that would cost more, but I only take occasional lessons, which I think all riders should do regardless of discipline since we all pick up bad habits. My coach is really close to me, though, and while I've got a lot of land to ride on here if I want to haul into the mountains it is quite a drive, so my lessons and mountain rides balance out pretty closely, too. In fact I probably spend more on mountain rides than on lessons now that fuel is so expensive.

I guess if all you do is hack around your neighborhood trail riding would be cheaper, but on the other hand I did dressage for years without competing and just riding at home or hacking around my neighborhood (and know plenty of others who have done that, too, or maybe go to one or two small shows a year), so even though I still considered myself a dressage rider the cost would still be comparable. You can't really compare the cost for a pleasure rider to that of a competitive rider in any discipline, IMO.

I think horses are just expensive, period. I feel sorry for all of us. Think of all the cool stuff we could have if we didn't own these beasties.
        Last edited by CosMonster; Apr. 8, 2008, 01:35 PM. Reason: clarification
        exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

Trail riding and endurance riding are completely different. For trail riding you usually do it close to home and no cost involved.
          With endurance it is all you say. The enterance fees for 50 miles has really gone up and easily runs 100's of dollars for a weekend ride.
          Even a coggins test has gone up .
          Once you have your gear sorted out there is no expense. I went 17 years without buying much for my old horse.
          My trailer is aluminum and 20 years old. I really keep it well manitained and will last another 20 years so no expense there.
          Board is my only big expense and runs about $3000 per year.
          Again I find the green belts in cities makes for great riding.
          I trailer about 5 miles to the edge of a large city and from there travel on the grass bullevards or parks.
          I have a 15 mile circuit that I really like with 2 watering holes where the horse can drink and I can give him a quick cool down bath.

Comment

I haven't gotten into the thick of it yet, but I think horses in general are an expensive hobby I started out leasing, then decided to buy my own horse who would like the trails more. My hope is some day to do CTR, but right now I've got a "cheaper" horse with work needed. Boarding isn't cheap, but close so I don't waste $$ on gas, the hay price has driven up boarding cost too. We just did our spring shots as well, comparable to our vet costs for the dogs/cats so no biggy there.
            My cheap horse requires me to be in weekly lessons, so that's an added expense...but well worth it as I get to finish him to my liking and seeing how much he has changed has been amazing.
            Now, there's tack...which I went for broke with a treeless (Bandos), then bought a breast collar and bridle set. I'd like to get a good bareback pad, and better girth, but that is low on the list...My next HUGE purchase is a trailer. In order to avoid the trade in of my SUV, I plan to spend the extra $ on the Brenderup... With all that is happening right now tho, I'm putting it off a bit. We're not ready to trailer anywhere yet anyway
            RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

I agree that pleasure trail riding is relatively inexpensive compared to any kind of competetive riding. No need for fancy tack, and it lasts for years. No search for "the perfect saddle pad" so your horse can last for 25 or more miles of trail in one shot. Never mind the search for the right saddle, or multiple saddles as your horse changed shape at different fitness levels. No search for the perfect boots that can handle mutliple miles without rubbing, etc.

My horse expenses were minimal until I tried to get into endurance. And financially, it looks like I'm going to have to pass up yet another ride season for endurance. No biggie, since I can still trail ride my guy and have fun. Or, I can spend hours grooming him and the rest of the herd when I don't have time to ride.

Yep, they are expensive all right. But they give back, unlike other expensive hobbies!
              "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

I have one semi-retired show horse. He is retired from showing, and now he is one of the worlds greatest trail horses. But right now I need a new fly sheet for him. And his hooves are having a hard time holding up to road (dirt) riding, so he needs boots all around Farrier said NO MORE road riding until he has boots. So, I'll be spending some $$ on him. He's worth it

I also have a young horse who is learning to be a show and a trail horse. He is equally scared and fascinated by both experiences. He's expensive right now with all the weekly lessons, saddle fitting, and other various stuff you gather up to make a new horse comfy
                My Dad's Site: http://www.horsecrazy.net

Comment

Originally posted by matryoshka View Post
                  Yep, they are expensive all right. But they give back, unlike other expensive hobbies!
                  I couldn't agree more! Not to get all Jerry Maguire, but my horses complete me
                  My Dad's Site: http://www.horsecrazy.net

Comment

I am so jealous that you get to do trails!! I would LOVE to ride trail but it is just not safe where I board because we have no direct access and I have no truck and trailer. I board out in Contra Costa County, CA and have explored the Mt. Diablo trails around my barn but I find the endless roads, barking dogs, speeding motorcycles, honking vehicles, rude mountain bikers, the perils of riding by peoples backyards with kids on trampolines and splashing in pools too nerve racking especially for my horse who is green on the trails. It's too bad, just another example of urban sprawl and development taking away the trails. I bet 40 years ago Mt. Diablo was a wonderful place to ride. I am just to chicken to brave them in 2008.
                    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...have/levil.jpg
                    [http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/kschave/bee.jpg
                    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ave/Levi-1.jpg

Comment

I am definitely glad the place I board has some trail spots near by...makes the trailer purchase a bit further off! And gives me a place to get him settled and trail happy that I know already
                      JME-Can you PM where you board? I remember you saying you are sort of in my area from previous topics.
                      RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

I agree that pleasure trail riding is relatively inexpensive compared to any kind of competetive riding. No need for fancy tack, and it lasts for years. No search for "the perfect saddle pad" so your horse can last for 25 or more miles of trail in one shot. Never mind the search for the right saddle, or multiple saddles as your horse changed shape at different fitness levels. No search for the perfect boots that can handle mutliple miles without rubbing, etc.

ah... but that's not all together true. Here in Michigan we have the shore-to-shore trails. Several planned rides are done and it's about 25 miles between camps. Get up early, feed horse, feed self, tack up horse, drive truck & trailer to next camp, ride association bus back to horse. Ride 25 miles, picket horse, yada yada.. next day do it again. A basic one-way ride lasts about 16 days, including 4 layover days. There are 10 camps along the main east-west route - with 12 stops (Lake Michigan on the West and Lake Huron on the East). Some folks have 2 saddles so that they can switch between them. And having the right gear can make a huge difference in completing the ride.

Expensive is having the rig to live out of for that long and carrying all the stuff to camp with. Arranging for enough hay at all the camps, doing some laundry "in town", etc.

I've never done the shore-to-shore, but I have used some of the camp sites.. hauling 3+ hours to some of them.
                        More info - go to mtra.org

<snip>

Comment

Ya got me there, gabz. Though that isn't exactly what I picture "pleasure trail riding" to be. I think of that as camping, which requires a lot of gear. It sound like tons of fun!! Once I decided to try endurance, the expense went up. I'd love to camp, but again, the gear costs money. Don't even get me started about supplements, electrolytes, etc.

Hey, I've got an OTTB. There is nothing cheap about an OTTB, I can tell you, whether he's just on turn out or in competetion. But relative to trying to show that OTTB, keep him in shoes all the way around so he can stay sound in the ring, buy clothes for showing, pay a trainer to keep our skills sharp, etc, I'm thinking trails are still cheaper. Besides, on trails, I get to use bright tack that make people stare. In the show ring, we've got to buck to accopmplish that feat (and not in a good way).
                          "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

We are trail riders and have had appy trail horses. None ever cost me over $1200.
                            The saddles each ran less than $300, and breast collars, bridles and reins are all working tack, not show. Saddle pads cost $100 bucks each. Helmets, $35. Horn and cantle bags to carry emergency supplies were bought 15 years ago. That's it. The horses live in their fur, not in sheets and blankets. The trails are down the road. If I had to trailer out to every trail ride we went on we would not be in horses. Way too much money for a joy ride.

Endurance riding sounds like a lot of fun, but it is too expensive for us to even consider getting into. We will stay as local trail riders, and love every minute of it.
                            Last edited by Chief2; Apr. 9, 2008, 01:27 AM.
                            "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Ya got me there, gabz. Though that isn't exactly what I picture "pleasure trail riding" to be. I think of that as camping, which requires a lot of gear. It sound like tons of fun!! Once I decided to try endurance, the expense went up. I'd love to camp, but again, the gear costs money. Don't even get me started about supplements, electrolytes, etc.
                              I guess that's "camping" ... but don't tell the others that do 2 or 3 of these rides a year.
                              My "trail riding" is more like camping... I drive 3-4 hours, set up camp, *ride 3 - 4 hours, take a nap, cook something, drink something, take another nap, eat, drink, ... repeat from * for 3 days.
                              Of course, I do have places to trailer to within 30 minutes of the house. Now THAT's CHEAP... well, it USED to be cheap until gas went to $3.50 a gallon. That's why camping is more economical. Trailer in, ride 3 days, trailer home. : )

Hey, I've got an OTTB. There is nothing cheap about an OTTB, I can tell you, whether he's just on turn out or in competetion. But relative to trying to show that OTTB, keep him in shoes all the way around so he can stay sound in the ring, buy clothes for showing, pay a trainer to keep our skills sharp, etc, I'm thinking trails are still cheaper. Besides, on trails, I get to use bright tack that make people stare. In the show ring, we've got to buck to accopmplish that feat (and not in a good way).
                              Gotta love that bright tack - maybe you need some bling for the show ring and that way your horse won't have to "buck".... The tack stores DO have English stirrups with little "rhinestones" on them, and spurs too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X