• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Okay, I don't want to start a revolution but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I don't want to start a revolution but...

Here's what I heard. We are in an area that the county is putting in a horse park. This horse park will have 2 show rings and some trails. It's about 50 acres but they might be able to add another 250 on. It is going to be great for schooling and trail riding as we have plans to incorporate all sorts of obstacles and even event-type jumps.

Anyway, I run an e-newsletter in our area and I have been talking about his park on the e-newsletter about how there will be show rings, trails and everything for everyone horsey...

I kid you not but I got a response from a hunter rider asking that we make sure that the trail riders are not seen from the show rings. Meaning that we're a bunch of rag-tag horse people.

I have to say the snobbery in the horse industry knows no bounds. The horse industry is suffering from a lack of newcomers to the industry. Apparently kids are more involved in cheaper sports such as soccer, internet (oops that's what I'm doing) and other. And less kids are getting involved with horses. When we ostracize one group within our own group, we divide ourselves. We need to stay together as what we are...HORSE PEOPLE and welcome newbies, no matter what discipline they want to ride.

www.horselife.com is trying to get an advertising campaign started similiar to the "Got Milk", RV and boating ads to generate new people in to the horse industry. So let's forget the snobbery and welcome all horse people of all kinds.

Sorry I guess I ranted...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Originally posted by pines4equines View Post

I kid you not but I got a response from a hunter rider asking that we make sure that the trail riders are not seen from the show rings.
    LOL what an arse. Mebbe the hunter rider was just concerned that anything outside the ring like trail riders would frighten or spook the sensitive show horses and cause an accident?

Either way, it's pretty hilarious. I admit I've frightened myself some early mornigs with my trail get-up.

Comment

I understand your reaction to her, but please please brush it off. I would bet few people would agree with her. If so, make the horse park for all the other people in the world except those few.

I wish you luck - I would love nothing more than to have a public horse park in our area. Very nice, congrats on all your work.
      Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

You have no idea how many times I've heard stuff like this. Somebody from coth posted over on the manure pile that endurance horses are just hillbilly nags.

Seriously, just brush it off. People are threatened and offended that a group of riders don't polish their boots and obsess endlessly over bling and prestigious names on the pedigree.

I quite enjoy my hillbilly nag and I think she's lovely. A truly beautiful mare with a tremendous heart and spirit and nothing is like the feeling of viewing the great open wildnerness from between those cute little bay ears.

I do agree to some extent that some recreational trail riders have made a bad name for us all by drinking and riding. That's a practice I don't agree with at all and I wish was ilegal. Around here, it's common to see groups of weekend warriors with a beer in one hand, reins in the other, big mud boots crammed through their stirrups, pajama pants, ill fitting saddles, crappy looking skinny/wormy horses, and trailers that should be enjoying their retirement in the junk heap. But seriously, they don't represent all trail or endurance riders. I think most of us be sure to have safe tack, healthy happy horses, and we ride safely. We don't always match, the tack isn't always clean, the horse may be muddy or dirty, but that's just what happens when you trail ride. And I see nothing wrong with it.

There will always be Arena Queens and then Trail Riders.

Comment

HI kid you not but I got a response from a hunter rider asking that we make sure that the trail riders are not seen from the show rings.
          Hmmm, sounds like that person needs a little Southern phraseology: Welll, bless your heart! We'll take that under advisement."

Puhleeze. Just another reason why I left that world behind over 20 years ago.
          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

just tell her to shut her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
              Somebody from coth posted over on the manure pile that endurance horses are just hillbilly nags.

Yep. Hillbilly nags that are in the best shape of any discipline in the world! (per my vet)

Comment

is it possible that the H/J in question was thinking of the commotion big riding groups can make, heading out? Example: just say it's 12-15 racking horses heading out down a hard-pack dirt road- that is RIGHT beside the arena...that's going to make some noise. Or a bunch of kids on ponies, yee-hawing a little bit where you could hear the racket but not see it- or someone on a fresh horse getting the spun & dumped deal off their horse- horses can be bothered by stuff like that. That is potentially totally distracting to those in the ring. Maybe not- maybe she does look down her nose..but maybe so, that's all I'm saying.

I've been on both sides: showing your horse in what the HORSE expects is a horse show environment, with its own unique noises, smells, sights, etc...only to have a cidiot BANG BANG BANG her STROLLER from the top of the bleachers to the bottom, in an indoor, echo-y arena, thanks, or been riding a perfect rail class, in the zone- when another cidiot SLAPS an umbrella open just over the rail from you, thanks. I don't want the uber quiet of dressage, I just recognize that there are potential distractions that are reasonable to discuss.

And where did drinking come into this discussion? I rode yesterday with Mr Kat and we packed in a six pack, packed OUT over a twelvepack. How DARE we drink a beer or three over a 4 hour ride, AND pick up trash? Devils!! Fruit of the devil's loins.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                  is it possible that the H/J in question was thinking of the commotion big riding groups can make, heading out? Example: just say it's 12-15 racking horses heading out down a hard-pack dirt road- that is RIGHT beside the arena...that's going to make some noise. Or a bunch of kids on ponies, yee-hawing a little bit. Totally fine to do so ...but potentially totally distracting to those in the ring.

I've been on both sides: showing your horse in what the HORSE expects is a horse show environment, with its own unique noises, smells, sights, etc...only to have a cidiot BANG BANG BANG her STROLLER from the top of the bleachers to the bottom, in an indoor, echo-y arena, thanks, or been riding a perfect rail class, in the zone- when another cidiot SLAPS an umbrella open just over the rail from you, thanks. I don't want the uber quiet of dressage, I just recognize that there are potential distractions that are reasonable to discuss.

And where did drinking come into this discussion? I rode yesterday with Mr Kat and we packed in a six pack, packed OUT over a twelvepack. How DARE we drink a beer or three over a 4 hour ride, AND pick up trash? Devils!! Fruit of the devil's loins.
                  Well, that's why I like the old saying that you can't control everyone else at the show, but instead you control your own horse. I've met some crazy crap out on the trails that my horse sure didn't expect. A bear, a mini horse loose in the woods, a helicoper landing in a hay field, kids in a swimming pool, trucks driving down the trail, ATVs screaming around curves,

Yeah, it sucks when you get a spook or a leap or a snort and blow, but hey, it happens. I got dumped once over a stopsign. God forbid somebody just run out there and erect a stopsign RIGHT IN FRONT OF US when it wasn't there 3 seconds ago. Those darned government workers anyhow. It's just the fun and exhileration of riding horses. If we wanted perfect behavior and no chance of upset, we'd ride mechanical machines that didn't have brains or personalities. We want a certain level of adrenaline and "unknown" or we wouldn't have horses in our lives. Heck, my adrenaline has shot through the roof standing in my kitchen window watching that Crazyabian gallop a thousand miles an hour straight toward a pasture fence.

Comment

We used to show in Huntington West Virginia...to get into the ring you have to go under the miniature roller coaster which was running

We left our horses in Kentucky to be shown on the county fair circuit because the fairs would have whirly things set up next to the ring… you came out with a show horse that could be ridden anywhere and not blink an eye at anything

Comment

If we wanted perfect behavior and no chance of upset, we'd ride mechanical machines that didn't have brains or personalities.

A2, be fair, no head in the clouds here. Answer that question when you've worked very hard to prepare and spent a ton of time and money and miles...to have a class blown for you, courtesy of the cidiot and her stroller. I don't want to live under glass, I just want a fair shake at showing my horse, nothing more than that. And that's all I'm suggesting the 'whiner' is asking for. Don't be so busy making out like you and your hillbilly nag (your words, I like my horses better than that, thanks) out to be oh so superior or you are NO better that the 'show queen' you are intent on looking down on, what with her polished boots and all that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hay

This is why I LOVE trail people! Just like your horses, nothing rankles you! Good on you! And see you on the trails one of these days. I'll be riding the bay!
                        Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
                        One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
                        Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

This is an alter
                          Last edited by Frustraltered; Apr. 7, 2008, 04:04 PM. Reason: woops

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                            If we wanted perfect behavior and no chance of upset, we'd ride mechanical machines that didn't have brains or personalities.

A2, be fair, no head in the clouds here. Answer that question when you've worked very hard to prepare and spent a ton of time and money and miles...to have a class blown for you, courtesy of the cidiot and her stroller. I don't want to live under glass, I just want a fair shake at showing my horse, nothing more than that. And that's all I'm suggesting the 'whiner' is asking for. Don't be so busy making out like you and your hillbilly nag (your words, I like my horses better than that, thanks) out to be oh so superior or you are NO better that the 'show queen' you are intent on looking down on, what with her polished boots and all that.
                            I showed whole life up until the last few years. One of the most notable experiences was when I was showing a walking horse and we were flying around the rail as a pickup truck drove right up to the arena fence, a guy got out and slammed the door. The horse jumped about 3 feet sideways, and we still pinned 3rd. It happens.

I've had a LOT of scary things happen at shows. Cows near the dressage ring, an out of control horse slamming into my mare in the warmup pen, ambulances going by with sirens running, the PA system screaming in an ear splitting crackle. Those are the ones I can remember offhand. I'm sure there's more I can't even recall.

Ever shown under a dressage judge who had the audacity to get up and walk out of the judges tent and bump into the flower pot on her way past?! Ohh the horrors. Maybe she should be called an idiot and blamed for my horse's spook? No. No one is to blame. It just happens. That's the chance you take when you haul your horse off your property and choose to ride it in a strange surroundings with other horses, their riders, and a bunch of spectators who aren't horse-wise.

If I've learned anything from trail, endurance and mounted search and rescue/patrol, it's that you ALWAYS expect the unexpected and ride through it with tact. The horse will usually respond in favor and you do the best you can.

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. Only saying that you can't cry and whine when the world doesn't stop and stand still for you at a show. Have you ever been in a warmup ring? That's the most terrifying place at the whole show. I showed for years. And my horses did spook, and I had to just deal with it. I'm not better than anyone else. It just HAPPENS. Thats life when you ride horses.

If the hunter riders don't want the "distraction" then they could spend some more time training and desensitizing their show horses to handle things. I didn't see the show manager at the big dressage show running across the road to tell the farmer he had to move his cows because their presence was scaring the dressage horses. Those of us with scared horses just had to deal with it and welcome the training experience.

Nothing but my opinion of course.

Comment

This is why I LOVE trail people! Just like your horses, nothing rankles you!
                              That's right.

Just this weekend I learned a valuable lesson. My young mare spooked at a boulder on the side of the trail as we galloped past it and the guy I was riding with said "Just ride! Don't worry!" So I kept my eyes on the trail, my butt in the saddle and we galloped past a dozen more boulders without a reaction. Just shut up and ride. No excuses. My new motto.

Comment

People are threatened and offended that a group of riders don't polish their boots and obsess endlessly over bling and prestigious names on the pedigree.

Looks like a view from down one's nose to me.

you showed walking horses, huh? And I thought you were all miss shock and awe about walking horses/big lick? Now you showed walkers? And they don't pin walkers, they tie them. Remember?

On second thought- nevermind. It's completely reasonable and delightful and fabulous to fly by on a herd of racking horses smack through the middle of a pack of blind leadliners, followed closely by a ferris wheel on wheels, run by monkeys on crack, with hungy lions as passengers . Anything less is unacceptable and doesn't adequately test a horse's mettle. Not REALLY.

Comment

Originally posted by pandorasboxx View Post
                                  LOL what an arse. Mebbe the hunter rider was just concerned that anything outside the ring like trail riders would frighten or spook the sensitive show horses and cause an accident?

Either way, it's pretty hilarious. I admit I've frightened myself some early mornigs with my trail get-up.
                                  LOL....ME thinks you're right!

I went to watch a Hunter show about a month ago and felt like I was at a darn PGA tournament. It was soooo silent I thought someone was holding up the "Quiet" signs you see during the professional Golf tournaments...
                                  MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                                  http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                                    We used to show in Huntington West Virginia...to get into the ring you have to go under the miniature roller coaster which was running

What a riot!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntertwo View Post
                                      LOL....ME thinks you're right!

I went to watch a Hunter show about a month ago and felt like I was at a darn PGA tournament. It was soooo silent I thought someone was holding up the "Quiet" signs you see during the professional Golf tournaments...

It's like that at the western pleasure shows too. People whisper to each other in the bleachers. I think the dressage grounds are even livlier with more commotion than that.

I really enjoyed watching some Saddlebred demos at our horse fair last year. The announcer told everyone to clap and cheer, whistle, pound the bleachers. He said that the Saddlebreds really show out when their fans make noise. It gave me goose bumps. Those big powerful horses really struttin' their stuff, getting bigger and puffier, the more noise everybody made. The riders had huge smiles on their faces, truly loving every minute.

Ahhh well, there's something for everyone!

Comment

I am wondering if the hunter person has a herd bound horse who would be distracted to see other horses going off into the woods, and become a PITA in the ring? Or perhaps while she would be showing her sister would be taking the companion horse off for a trail ride, and the same behavior would ensue? Either way, the behavior would result in a score reduction at the very least for this rider. Perhaps showing elsewhere would be a better choice for her.

Frankly, fifty acres (to start with) isn't really large enough to hide trail riding horses from those in the ring, so some tolerance is going to be needed at the start here. Once you get the adjoining parcel incorporated in, it will be easier. So, to keep peace in the family, I would position the ring away from the majority of trail heads on the total 300 acres (if possible) at the start of things. Then once the expansion goes in, you will be all set and everyone will be happy. Or as happy as they could probably be, anyways.

What is the motivator for getting dressed up like a penguin, only to ride in endless circles for a subjective judgement and maybe a ribbon or a score? I just don't get it.
                                        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Working...
                                        X