• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Conditioning Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning Question

I have a 4 year old mare I want to start LD's on this spring. She has been ridden 1/2 to 1 hour 5 days a week for the past two months (walk trot canter just training in an indoor). I'm going to start her outside next week (we still have snow!)
    What's a good program to get her going for a potential LD in the first part of May? Or maybe my question should be: should I start a 4 year old on LD's or perhaps novice rides ??? I have lots of questions.

This may be a stupid question, but has she been ridden out of the indoor much?? On actual trails?

If I was starting a 4 year old, I would probably try something a little less competitive until 5. But, that is just me... I prefer to take it a bit slower with a young horse. The ones that I have had that were brought along slowly until 5 or 6 have held up much better than the ones that were started in moderate to hard work at 3 or 4. I like to have mine broke by 3 and then light, consistent riding (2-4 times a week usually less than an hour. Attention spans are not very long sometimes...) until 4-5 . Then the real work can begin. Of course every horse and situation can be different. My horses are trail and working horses and we might go to a little show once in a blue moon. I want them to last a long time and be sound and happy. We do lots of ground work and I pony a lot as well.

I also want to feel secure on my young horse and prefer to get them as solid out in company, on the trail, as possible before going to compete. There are going to be enough nerves happening and I want be as prepared as possible so it is a good learning ride. Good Luck!!
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

Comment

• Original Poster

She has been ridden outside most of her life, she's just in an indoor now due to the weather here in Minnesota. I've had her on a few trail rides away from home and been to some playdays away from home in the past few years. She's been ridden down the road by home last year a few times a week. Just bringing her along slow and showing her the sights. I thought this year we would go to some ld's, but I don't want to wreck her. I want to be riding her when she's 20! She's a big appy by the way.

Comment

I think that patience now will pay off later... Especially since you plan on riding this horse up to her 20s. There's no need to rush competing. If you're really itching to do an LD, ask around and see if anyone would let you ride their extra horse and just take yours along to get used to camping, lots of commotion, horses coming and going and so on. You can also practice vet check procedures if the vets have some downtime.

There's lots of stuff to learn for you and to teach your horse before you start competing. I personally believe that 4 is a bit too young in this discipline, especially since you already want to attend a ride in four weeks and haven't had the opportunity to do any LSD work this season. Building a solid all-around base now (mental and physical) will really help your horse stay sound and healthy in the long run.

Best of luck!

Comment

I don't start my horses under saddle until their 4 yr old year although they will have been ponied on trails as 2-3 yr olds if I own them at that stage. I spend that 4 yr old year doing putzy riding, taking them to see different things, mental training, very gradually strengthening those legs and joints. In the 5 yr old year I began to condition and will do CTRs and/or LDs in that year from early summer onward, still doing LSD work. No 50s until they are 6. Just my preference. Oh, the bigger they are the more weight those young legs have to tote around. Don't let size fool you.

chicamuxen

Comment

• Original Poster

Looks like a playing around fun year!? Hanging out at some rides and showing her the sights...I was afraid of that...I'm so ready to go out and ride. I'm gonna have to borrow my friends horse, she has 40 or so to choose from!!
            Thanks for the input.
            Grrrrrrr

Comment

LD's ARE novice rides, assuming you don't get race-brain.

However, I don't think I'd ask a 4-year old, 1st year distance horse for an LD after just 4-6 weeks of conditioning. I'd give it 3 months (minimum), then do an easy LD focused on training rather than racing. Better safe than sorry on those young legs and back!
              Training and campaigning Barb endurance horses at The Barb Wire.

Comment

My opinion, for what its worth is..

Do a fun ride at the May ride -your horse has never been to ride camp, never been through vetting, and if you haven't either - its worth it to take the 12 miler and learn all this while still exposing your mare to the sometimes 'high action' involved around vet checks and horses coming in an out - especially if your trail is one where all distances are running, -which means you may take the chance of having some high milers galloping up your rear from time to time.

Per regs, yes you can put a 4 year old in an LD, - I've done so myself, but its been a horse that has somewhat considerable more trail experience than what you are describing , along with more conditioning.

I think of endurance the same as jumping - do I want to overface my horse and have an issue later - or I should I start em in xpole hunters for their first outing.
                Its all relative -.
                Originally posted by ExJumper
                Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by DianeS View Post
                  I have a 4 year old mare I want to start LD's on this spring. She has been ridden 1/2 to 1 hour 5 days a week for the past two months (walk trot canter just training in an indoor). I'm going to start her outside next week (we still have snow!)
                  What's a good program to get her going for a potential LD in the first part of May? Or maybe my question should be: should I start a 4 year old on LD's or perhaps novice rides ??? I have lots of questions.
                  Well so far everybody has been telling you to back off and go slow and no real answer to your question about conditioning.

The purpose of true conditioning is to build the horse up physically and mentally and to eventually determine when the horse is ready for an LD. You can/should start that asap with a plan similar to what you would do personally at a gym. Start short distance and slow speed like everyone has been saying and keep increasing the load in small steps. You do not increase distance and speed at the same time.

First off I would get a HRM GPS watch, it is a valuable tool for conditioning. Learn how to fit it to the horse and how to load the info into your computer. The data will help you to see if your horse is improving when you ride a similar course over and over. That particular course is what I call a "Test Effort Course". You ride lots of different areas to prevent boredom but you need to pick a roughly 2.5 mile section of trail or a loop or whatever and ride it every other week and get the horse familiar with it so he is not spooky because that will screw up the HR readings. It took me a month of wandering around to finally pick a decent route that has some hills and decent footing and that alone is good conditioning.

Warm the horse up first (15-20 minutes) before the test effort and then ride it at a conservative pace. Trot the flats and walk the hills. At the end you stop and jump off and check the time and wait to see how long it takes for the HR to drop to 60 and stay there. That time is called "recovery time".

In training my limit for my horse is 10 minutes. Anything over 10 minutes to recover and IMHO I have over ridden my horse. This is all done without special cooling and you will learn a great deal about reading your horse and how he is handling the work.

During all training, except the test effort, I try to keep the HR under 130 max. That means that on steeper hills I might have to walk the horse. You can read more about "Low Heart Rate Training" here http://www.aerc.org/HeartRateTraining.asp

That should get you started on a program to condition your horse.
                  Don Huston
                  "If you want a barefoot horse you are just gonna have to ride that critter barefoot."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the conditioning information Fasterhorses.
                    I've come up with a plan to start with. I'm going to do novice rides this summer. they are a lot shorter and run like CT rides, which I don't like, but I thnk its what's best for my horse. I'm going to condition kind of on the plan like fasterhorses laid out.
                    CT really isn't my cup of tea I'd love to be able to do LD"S this year, but probably not what's best for the horse....
                    Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X