• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is it my fault if...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my fault if...

I trot ahead a bit and your horse dances and jigs and is a PITA to ride?

Here's the background: riding on a road, 6 people. Woman with gaited pony goes quite a ways ahead of the group on the way home. Horses are moving faster to begin with just bc we are headed home. And of course they all want to keep up with pony who will surely beat them home and eat all the hay. At some point I let my STB move out a little and of course we pull ahead a bit. My son is on my Morab mare and manages to keep up with the occasional few strides of trotting. After awhile we catch up to gaited pony, then we all wait for the others, then gaited pony goes ahead again.

I am trying to slow my mare but she is tall and walks fast and I am only going to hold her back so much. Come on, the tiny
    Morab is keeping up! Meanwhile, someone is growing cranky bc his horse is wanting to trot/jig/whatever and he does not want to keep fighting it. (This is a big horse, he could walk out and keep up). He wants everyone to be by him so his horse settles down and he can drink his beer. I know I am being partially blamed, as well as the rider of the gaited pony.

At some point the 5 of us are fairly together and Mr. Cranky has to pee. He makes some snippy comment about not bothering to wait bc nobody else does, and I say something like, "Oh come on, deal with it, It's not the end of the world." And get an "Eff you" in return.

This has been an issue since last year. His horse is often not happy unless it is in front, but he blames everyone else. The green rider I bring along, my horses, someone else's horse, etc. We all just bite our tongues, but today I couldn't do it. Thought I was trying to be lighthearted, but guess not.

Is it really everyone's responsibility to be that accomodating, or should he suck it up a little and use it as a training experience? My horse was fighting me too, but I chose to ride her rather than blame someone else.

The rule I grew up with was that you accomodated the slowest, least able rider. I guess the rule was partly so you didn't have to end your ride and go get help for said least able rider if they ended up falling off.

I've had to stay with an injured person while everybody else took off to get help because some yahoo decided to show off and run up onto her horses' butt and she couldn't handle her horse, and it really isn't the way I had planned my ride to end up.

If you are in a group ride where folks are drinking and the alchohol starts talking then maybe it's time to pick a different group with a more similar speed and style.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

In my experience it is generally considered discourteous to move ahead like you described. If you are in control of your horse you don't need to go at the horse's chosen speed returning to the barn. "I am trying to slow my mare but she is tall and walks fast ".

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but realize that trail riding is more difficult than riding in a ring where the horse may be bored and not showing his true colors. A good trail rider is a rider that quietly maintains control of his horse or breaks off on his own in a direction that does not excite the other horses.

For me it is better to ride alone than with riders not in control of their horses. Frankly, your whole group sounds like they need some remedial riding lessons.

Comment

While it might not be your "fault," it is certainly an appreciated kindness to accommodate the person whose horse is getting anxious. I know because that is always my horse.

My horse gets seriously scary. I need to walk (not trot, not jig), and I need whoever is riding with me to stay with me. My fear is not just "I don't want to fight him;" it's real fear, as in fear for my life.

And, yes, I know the argument "don't go out if your horse isn't safe." I rarely go out. Most fellow-riders think I'm a wimp and pressure me incessently to go out with them despite the fact that I don't feel my horse is safe out there. It's quite a Catch-22.

I would never ride with somebody drinking beer on the trail. (I need serious riders around me.) I would never ride with somebody who said "eff you" to me. (I need friends around me.) I would also not blame you for my horse's issues.

But, in general, try to have mercy on the guy with the anxious horse.
        I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

In answer to your question, no it's not your fault if you ride ahead and someone else's horse starts jigging, etc., but...to keep the peace, and so everyone (including the PITA horse's rider) can have a pleasant and safe ride, it is considered courteous and good manners, to stay with the group.

That being said, if you don't enjoy riding at that speed (or if you are unable to rate your horse slower), then perhaps you shouldn't ride with that person. Everyone might be happier, including you, if you rode with people who like going faster or are better able to control their horses.

It's a matter of preference, often. Not necessarily riding experience. Case in point: I belong to two trail riding groups, both with experienced riders and conditioned horses, and both groups prefer rides that are 6-8 hours a day. One group does not like to go faster than 3 or 4 miles per hour because their horses will break into a trot, so I ride at their pace--my gaited horse rates just fine. I also ride with a gaited group and they like to gait fast--11 mph or more--for hours sometimes, and I enjoy riding with them too and expect to go fast when with them. Interestingly, both groups cover about the same mileage on their rides. The slower group stops very infrequently and the faster group needs to rest their horses more often and for longer because of the fast pace.

Comment

It is generally accepted that when riding in a group you all stay to the speed of the slowest, least able rider. That being said I generally try to choose people to ride with whose riding style is similar to mine. I don't mind the occassional ride with a slower horse/rider combo but I don't enjoy those rides nearly as much as I do when I ride with group of people who like to ride a the same pace as I do.
            "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

• Original Poster

Nin, I totally understand your point. My gelding can have days where he can be scary if people decide to lope and the group gets more wound up than normal. I would never ride ahead if someone were having a dangerous issue, and neither would the person who was ahead of me. This was a matter of being pissy bc he wanted a perfect ride on a loose rein. Probably wasn't going to happen on the way home, regardless of whether anyone was in front. Horse isn't anxious, just wants his way. Which presents a problem either way, I know.

The least experienced person in the group was my son, who was having no issues. I do agree with those of you who said it is discourteous-I will admit it was. But even when I was riding with the group his horse was doing this. And then he was blaming the person who was way in front of us. I just thought he should suck it up and deal with it. He wasn't the only one whose horse wanted to go. (I'll also agree with the poster who said we need riding lessons. I've had them and am currently taking lessons. That's also one of my gripes with this person.)

This was an issue last year as well. It was always someone's fault. Maybe that is why today I said "screw it" and moved ahead briefly. Ok, I vow to be better behaved, but not to refrain from comments like the one I made. Bc usually I do bite my tongue, but I couldn't do it any more.

Comment

What the others have said.

Sounds to me as if you need to find another group to ride with if you want to come in happy from your rides.
                I also don't want to ride with beer drinkers. Maybe if that man wasn't busy slurping beer he could handle his horse better.
                You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pj View Post
                  What the others have said.

Sounds to me as if you need to find another group to ride with if you want to come in happy from your rides.
                  I also don't want to ride with beer drinkers. Maybe if that man wasn't busy slurping beer he could handle his horse better.
                  Amen
                  "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

It could simply be a matter of it is easier to blame other people and sit back and have a bear than it is to learn to ride....He may not care...

If you don't like the company, ride with someone else.

I don't mix alcohol and horses. I don't ride with those that do. I won't....

Life is too short to ride with folks like that. If you don't enjoy it, find someone else!
                    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Comment

I don't ride with people who can't handle their horse and their beer. One must be able to master both to ride with me

Comment

• Original Poster

katarine, hehehe, you are so wise. I had one beer at the bar when we stopped for lunch. I don't even try to have one while riding bc I can go without, and the horse always realizes I am down to one hand. I was annoyed for various reasons-one being that he should know his horse is going to do this on the way home, so maybe he should be prepared. And hold off on more beer until he gets home.

I'm in a trail riding club and have no problems with anyone else. This is my friend's husband, sooooo...

Hoping the blowup alerted him to some issues-riding and anger management. If it continues to be a problem I am not going to ride with him any more. And I will still be better behaved.

Comment

I concur with the others. I do ride with a large group. Some will trot out and canter a little and sometimes I want to go a little slower. I can control my horse but I am not the most confident rider. I can canter my horse SOME but he has a problem with wanting to gallop instead of canter so I am always on guard!

I did have to ask my hubby to slow down to a walk last week when I was having a hard time controlling my horse because the other two were going a little faster up and down some little rises and I am trying to teach Biscuit to go at the speed I set...not the one he wants or others are doing!

As for someone drinking and riding and telling me to eff off...oh I don't think so. Friends husband or not I wouldn't ride with them again.
                          Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                            I don't ride with people who can't handle their horse and their beer. One must be able to master both to ride with me

you betcha!

Comment

LOL well I ride a horse that can be hotter than a two dollar pistol, and he's not an Arabian or anything, just a garden variety TWH. When he's feeling HOT, I'd rather the bunch not just up and leave me w/o warning. He will get very upset and anxious. Whether I'm holding holy water or a cold beer, manners dictate you check with the folks behind you before moving out. You just do. And if they say gimme til X bend in the trail, then honor that, Do it. Let me finish my holy water, get set, and I'll either come along, or manage my requests that my own horse chill and settle.

BUT...

If they say no, you guys don't speed up til we get to the barn/ the horse trailer/the end of time and No, I'm not riding a baby and no I'm not hurt, I'm basically just a sorry rider on a half trained horse with 2-3 cold beers in my future and zero interest in managing my OWN animal, somehow it takes a village or some such: welll... I'm potentially going to be situationally...deaf.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                                Originally posted by cloudy18 View Post
                                I trot ahead a bit and your horse dances and jigs and is a PITA to ride?

Here's the background: riding on a road, 6 people. Woman with gaited pony goes quite a ways ahead of the group on the way home. Horses are moving faster to begin with just bc we are headed home.
                                your inability to maintain the same sped due to "going home" is certainly a flaw in your horses training.

Is it really everyone's responsibility to be that accommodating, or should he suck it up a little and use it as a training experience? My horse was fighting me too, but I chose to ride her rather than blame someone else.
                                that four/five of you choose to let your horses fly along setting a poor example for what may be a more timid rider speaks poorly of all if you,yes. If you cannot control your horses speed then maybe you should stay behind.

Tamara
                                Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Those whose horses want to speed up just due to heading home have horses that wouldn't pass as "broke" around here...sorry but the horse doesn't choose the speed or direction in which we ride...it may be a partnership but there's a managing partner and that's not the horse. It is poor trail manners to leave someone behind whose horse is having an anxiety attack over being left....not all horses in any single group are going to be trained to the same level and it would seem sensible for those with better trained horses to help out with those who may need help. In addition...those who do allow their horses to speed up just due to heading home are training their own horse in a bad habit...it is a form of barn sourness if your horse has to jig or fuss just for a change in direction toward home. And no, drinking and riding is as dumb as drinking and driving but there will be those that do it....it is not very sensible to leave someone who is impaired in any way just because what they did was dumb.
                                  Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                  www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                                  Northern NV

Comment

Originally posted by PRS View Post
                                    It is generally accepted that when riding in a group you all stay to the speed of the slowest, least able rider. That being said I generally try to choose people to ride with whose riding style is similar to mine. I don't mind the occassional ride with a slower horse/rider combo but I don't enjoy those rides nearly as much as I do when I ride with group of people who like to ride a the same pace as I do.
                                    This.

I've been on plenty of trail rides where I wanted to do trotting and cantering but because we had someone who only wanted to walk...well. We walked. If you want to trot or canter, you have to ensure you're going out with people who want to trot and canter too. It's extremely poor form to ride away from a member of your group just because they're going slower than you want to.
                                    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                                    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;5496255]

that four/five of you choose to let your horses fly along setting a poor example for what may be a more timid rider speaks poorly of all if you,yes. If you cannot control your horses speed then maybe you should stay behind.

Tamara
                                      Just to clarify, though I have accepted my bad part in the whole mess, there were not 4 or 5 of us flying along, and the rider is not timid. There was one rider ahead quite a bit of the time, and then I was ahead for maybe 10 minutes of the ride, and my son was with me. That left three horses back. He wasn't alone and I never would have left him alone, or even at all if I knew his horse was behaving dangerously or scaring him. Not clarifying this to defend myself either, but I don't want people to think the group bolted away and left someone in the dust, clinging to the saddle for their life.

Comment

Originally posted by PRS View Post
                                        It is generally accepted that when riding in a group you all stay to the speed of the slowest, least able rider. That being said I generally try to choose people to ride with whose riding style is similar to mine.
                                        Ditto this, plus one additional observation. When I ride with groups of friends, we'll usually separate into slower and faster groups for parts of the ride, then meet up further down the trail. This allows those who want a faster ride to get their yayas out, while others can do a relaxed walking ride safely.

Once we're heading back to the barn or trailhead, though, we all walk together and don't allow the horses to rush home. That's a bad habit that can cause some real wrecks...

I don't know if it's "your fault" or not. I DO know that I would not keep riding with a beer-drinking lout, no matter who's husband he is.

Comment

Working...
                                        X