• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I am fat and sore and I need a CHEAP saddle suggestion!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am fat and sore and I need a CHEAP saddle suggestion!

Well, I am also close to 6 months pregnant. Which explains the weight gain and soreness.

I'd love to ride but I think it would be best if I had a really comfortable saddle to ride in and... ultimately, having a good western/endurance saddle on hand would not be a bad thing at all to break youngsters and teach my SO and daughter to ride etc...

But, I am not a western rider. I dabble at it for fun and games, but nothing more. I do love a good trail ride and work my horses outside a lot (no riding ring will do that to you ).

All this to say that given that trail/western riding is not my main discipline, I don't want to spend a forturne on a saddle.

I'd prefer leather, just because synthetic is a PITA in winter, but really, the budget is the main concern: $300ish tops?

Is there any decent saddle that would fit the criteria? I know there are the Wintecs... I guess though that going in that sort of price range I should get a synthetic otherwise the leather is going to be REALLY crappy.

So, any suggestions?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

Stay far away from Wintec western saddles. They don't fit ANYTHING and are just not the same quality as the english Wintecs. I would highly suggest a Fabtron or Big Horn synthetic saddle. I have actually owned both of these brands and would definitely buy one again. They are very comfy and great quality for the price. They are very lightweight and generally fit well. If you are set on a leather saddle, The older Billy Cook saddles are very nice as are Bona Allen, Big Horn, and the older Circle Y saddles. Even though you may only want to use this saddle sometimes, It is really worth it to get a good saddle that will last and not make your horse sore. Plus, If you decide to sell it later, you will have much a much better chance of selling it for what you paid for it. The best thing to do is to go look at saddles and sit in lots of them so you know what fits and then start looking on ebay or craigslist and you can probably find a good deal. Good Luck!!
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

Comment

• Original Poster

What about the Abetta synthetics? Any comments on those?
      www.EquusMagnificus.ca
      Breeding & Sales
      Facebook | YouTube

Comment

I like the wintec aussie-style saddle, and wintec also makes a specific saddle for endurance, both nice comfy saddles for the trail. I suggest you go to a tack store and sit in many saddles, including those two, to see what is comfortable and then go look for a used one. New wintec stock/endurance saddles cost over $1k.

Comment

I have an older Simco trail saddle that I picked up on eBay for under $200 that has worked out fine for my infrequent trail rides. I replaced the cinch straps on both sides, because they were old & dry, but otherwise it's been a good buy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
            I bought one for my husband and thought it was pretty decent. Fit my horse well, fit him well and it was under $300 new as I recall!

He didn't ride all that much in the end but I thought it was a good choice.
            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Weaver!

I have made several postings ..
              I have wintecs...they fell apart and didnt fit all the horses, very well.
              I have abetta.s and find them comfortable and many trail students like them too... never a fit problem either..
              But, when I grab a saddle off the rack...its my Weaver!
              and I love it... fits every horse I own (maybe different padding arrangements, but it adjusts well)..
              comfortable for me..and I ride 20-30 miles a day/'everyday.

On sale now too. for the giveaway price of ack! $149!!
              800-637-6721
              www.horse.com
              great company to deal with too.
              oh, there are nylon halter bridles for $17/ low ports $10
              saddle pads for $20/ breastcollars with neoprene backing for $20 and neoprene girths for $17/ and a cantle bag to finish the outfit for $5!
              there...a total outfit for very little investment that will last! and last well.
              good luck!
              IN GOD WE TRUST
              OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
              http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

I've got an Abetta Serinity (formely Trinity) that I like. I used it as my main saddle until I got my treeless, and it's now my back-up saddle

It's got a nice cushy memory foam seat.

http://www.horse.com/item/abetta-ser...dle/SLT900710/

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
                  I have an older Simco trail saddle that I picked up on eBay for under $200 that has worked out fine for my infrequent trail rides. I replaced the cinch straps on both sides, because they were old & dry, but otherwise it's been a good buy for me.
                  I agree with this, I'm a huge fan of Simco saddles, especially the older ones and they usually do go for around $200.
                  The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                  Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Originally posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
                    I love my Abetta. I've had Treeless, Fabtron, but always go back to my Abetta.
                    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I've got 2 Big Horn synthetic that I got off ebay for about $125 that I love. But some folks that have tried mine don't like them, so you may have to try a few before you find a maker you like. If you get them used you can easily resell them for about what you paid. Just check comparison prices or maybe a friend has one you can try out. Mine are good for rides under 3 hrs or so and then I find my leather Circle Y the best for my horse and me....

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmm... Hard to tell hum?

Long rides are out the question for now, newborn on the way, toddler on the ground already, I can be out of the house for 3 hours TOTAL, including tack-up, riding, and feeding the beasts.

At this point, I want something comfortable to ride in while I am heavier then usual (at after birth because all this weight won't leave overnight) and that can then be also used by my partner to learn to ride a bit... Someday.

I'd love a comfy leather saddle, but really, it is not high up on the priority list of things to do with the leftover $$$.

Used would be the way to go, but around here I seem to only find used high end saddles, so they are still around $1K... Used.
                        www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                        Breeding & Sales
                        Facebook | YouTube

Comment

I had an Abetta that I got for $55 at a yard sale. I just can't get comfortable western.
                          One of the other boarders used it on her QH while she was pregnant and found it comfortable. She has a really nice leather western saddle but it was too heavy for her to comfortable manage to get on her 16.2H horse while pregnant. The Abetta was nice and light.
                          I eventually sold it to another boarder. He had a TWH. He loved it and used it for years. Probably is still using it. When he would trail ride it would be 4-5 hour marathon rides both days of the weekends.
                          Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Hmmm...do you think it's a good idea to ride while pregnant? Especially six months pregnant?

Someone I know got bucked off at 8 months' preggers. Knocked unconscious for two days. Luckily she and her baby were okay, but it was touch and go, and her husband and family were freaked out for those two days she was in the hospital.

Is it worth your baby's health or life just to ride? Can't you just wait another three or four months? I wasn't mentally damaged in any way by putting off riding while pregnant with my daughter. I rode until I was five months' pregnant and then a doctor I saw for an ultrasound (an equestrian herself, btw) scared me into stopping. "What if you get kicked or fall off? How would you feel if something happened to your baby?" she asked. She accused me of being selfish if I continued. True enough, I thought.

I'm sure there are lots of people who've ridden while pregnant and nothing happened, but I wasn't willing to take that risk once the dangers were pointed out to me. I wanted my child to have every advantage I could give her, including not ending up a brain-damaged invalid from an avoidable riding accident.

Comment

The trouble with "cheap" saddles is that they are not only made of inferior materials they are also often of inferior design.

A couple of years back a friend of mine sent me the materials list for a leather, Western saddle. These were standard materials, not "premium" materials. Including the tree it was just at $500.00. This is before any labor costs or a profit for the maker.

The overall depressed state of the equine economy means that there are a lot of good quality, used saddles around at fair prices. For a trail saddle the "default" is often the Western saddle but there are alternatives in endurance saddles, military saddles, Plantation saddles, etc.

In looking for a used saddle you have to shop around. It must fit the horse, the rider, and be appropriate to the planned use. That last item includes an evaluation of condition.

Good luck in searching and don't be afraid to "broaden" the search horizon.

G.
                              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I tried a Fabtron-didn't fit my young horse but I liked it. It was on kijiji kingston, and is still there and in your price range.

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-pets-liv...AdIdZ242458665
                                "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Comment

I ride in.. and love the Fabtrons. The new Homesteader has the upgraded leather and conchos... Its our best selling saddle. Light weight and well made. The "B" tree is nice and wide, and flat bars with flare.
                                  Kim
                                  The Galloping Grape
                                  Warrenton, VA
                                  http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Comment

I've had a Fabtron and several Big Horns. The Big Horns lasted for years and years and held up to a ton of riding. They were comfortable but a seat saver really helped. The Fabtron was comfortable but didn't fit any of the horses as well as the Big horns.

I rode through my pregnancies in the Big Horn saddles.
                                    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Comment

OP, I have a very comfy-looking Paragon Endurance that you can have for the cost of shipping. It's made from totally cheap leather, I hear, but I personally can't really tell the difference. It's heavy (it's alot of leather) but has a very cushy seat). Probably a M or a MW, 18" seat.

In terms of riding while pregnant, if you enjoy it and you've been riding all along and there are no specific complications with your pregnancy, you get on out and ride, girl. It's probably great for your mental health, and it's good to keep active and using your body. Once the baby comes, there will be so many changes in your life.... no need to rush lessening your riding time even before the baby arrives. Maybe make sure there's someone else around when you're riding in case you mess up your balance as you're getting on and the momentum of your belly carries you over and off the far side of the horse :-) but, definitely you can feel good about keeping on doing the healthy active things that make you happy, including riding.

Besides, at six months, you ain't seen nothing yet, in terms of huge. :-) Wait til the last two weeks. You'll be amazed that you're not mistaken for a round bale (you will look perfectly charming to other people; you yourself will just think you have the same mass as a cruise ship). I remember walking into the local pizza joint a few days before my daughter was due, and conversation literally came to a halt. But, I was served very, very quickly. :-)
                                      Last edited by SharonA; Feb. 2, 2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the words of encouragement! This is not my first pregnancy and I am doing 200% better then the first time around!

FYI though, did you ladies know that most safety recommendations for pregnant women are actually to protect YOU and not your child? You child is just fine and dandy in his private swimming pool suite, you on the other hand, become more prone to injury (which can be lasting) thanks to raging hormones and added weight.

I hurt my foot badly just standing in the kitchen cooking and baking during Christmas time!

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I haven't used a western saddle in YEARS.

I'll PM you Sharon.
                                        www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                                        Breeding & Sales
                                        Facebook | YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                        X