Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Starting a trail horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a trail horse

Looking for awesome books on starting a 5 yo halter broke gelding.
    also any tips, suggestions..
    I've grown up riding, this is the nicest, sweetest, calmest horse and I want him to bondand gain trust with me.
    I do plan on working with a trainer, as a coach, but I'm still going to be doing a majority of the work on the daily, and would love some book recommendations!

TIA!

Read Vladimir Littauer's Common Sense Horsemanship. He has a 7 month program with a "by the numbers" basic curriculum to train a fox hunting horse. A good fox hunter is going to be a good trail horse virtually "by definition." It's free here: https://archive.org/stream/commonsen...54mbp_djvu.txt

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Do you have access to a seasoned trail horse? I've found ponying to be a fantastic way to get a horse used to trails.

I had an appy/TB mare 30+ years ago, I bought her as a 3 yo not even halter broke. She had a lot of issues and I didn't back her till she was 5 but for over a year I ponied her off of my POA mare. We went over and through everything and would go on all day rides, sometimes covering 15-20 miles a ride. This was up in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California.

The second time I got on her back we went off down the trail by ourselves and she was perfect! She turned out to be an amazing trail/mountain horse.

Comment

I agree with ponying. Also when ridden have an experienced lead horse in front and an experienced horse behind. Both are the watch dog positions for herd safety. (Usually lead mare in front, stallion behind the herd).

When doing your first creek crossing let the lead horse go first then turn sideways to block the novice horse from bolting/jumping the creek. With water let the novice wade in then calmly step out. Don't stop too long and allow excessive pawing. I have seen some FAST drop and roll in the water. Rider, saddle and all.

An experienced mountain rider friend told me to let the horse sniff the trail when they want to.
        Last edited by pony grandma; Mar. 18, 2019, 11:40 AM.
        The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

I agree about the ponying. It's great to get them exposed. For our youngster we then added a set of light packs and made them progressively heavier and ponied him with those. We also spent a lot of time getting him used to giving to pressure- both from the lead shank/halter and taught him to step forward and back from a soft loop of rope around the pastern- helpful for standing tied and tolerating hobbles in the future. Enjoy!

Comment

Definitely lots of ponying! Ive found that when you ride for the first time, its good to go with a friend or two that have calm horses, pony the youngster out with tack on and on the way back, give your older horse to a friend to pony, and get on the baby to ride home. Usually works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by HaleyBird View Post
              Looking for awesome books on starting a 5 yo halter broke gelding.
              also any tips, suggestions..
              I've grown up riding, this is the nicest, sweetest, calmest horse and I want him to bondand gain trust with me.
              I do plan on working with a trainer, as a coach, but I'm still going to be doing a majority of the work on the daily, and would love some book recommendations!

TIA!
              Check out Warwick Schiller's videos. He does a great job of explaining horse behavior and training methods, and since it's a video subscription, you can watch videos that apply to your situation over and over. You want your horse confident enough that he doesn't have to rely on the presence of another horse, he is good with just himself and you. Good luck!

www.warwichschiller.com
              "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

Working...
              X