Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

1barn
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Good books to learn about driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books to learn about driving

Hello all, I am a new driver who has just purchased a 2 wheeled trail cart. I drove my pony as a child but that was 50 years ago. I have a nice little pony, 12.2 haflinger type. My question for those of you who have more experience than I do ... are there any books you would recommend for me to read on driving and driving dressage. I am thinking that is the way I will go as we have crops in the fields during the summer and I am relegated to pasture/road driving. I like trail driving the best but I thought the dressage driving would make us more flexible and be interesting to do. Very likely won't compete, but just do it for fun.

I would recommend "Carriage Driving" by Bean and Blanchard https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16204...zCL&ref=plSrch Very thorough and informative.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you CERT. I appreciate your input. I was looking on Amazon and saw that one. I'll place an order for it.

Comment

Welcome to the world of driving! I would recommend the same book, it was my bible getting started and I loved the focus on developing self carriage.
        Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

There is no good book that could teach you to drive but yeah when you are attempting for the license they give you a book. I remember I had read every Dissertation Service to learn traffic rules and regulation.

Comment

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Another source of information on the web is Andy Marcoux's site www.coachmansdelight.com There is articles to read and information about his webinairs. The webinars are very good and inexpensive ($25) This is my 6th season driving and I get a lot from these classes.

Comment

We really liked the German Federation book: Driving, the 5th book in their series related to training horses for various disciplines. Very detailed, comprehensive. Covers Multiples clearly. They have their systems which are consIstant in turning out consIstantly trained horses. Horses all work the same for the rider or driver. This is an older book, 1991, but maybe you could find it used or there is an uplated version now.

We were not really that impressed with the Heinke Bean book, use of the buggy to get 'amazing' results. Have not read the updated version. Some of the things she showed in drawings were not really possible for horse to do in that setting, that vehicle. Multiples section was not wonderful either, with drop poles and neck yokes used for Pairs. She was using old equipment, trying to attain modern results undreamed of by buggy builders of old times. Lots of folks find the book enlightening, creates new thinking.

Comment

SofiaWoodstone I reported your post as it seems totally unrelated to the thread & honestly, Spam-ish

newdriver Welcome back!
                  I am also interested in learning/refining my Driven Dressage & agree Andy Marcoux is a great resource.
                  A clinic of his I audited (over 10yrs ago) is how I became intrigued by Driving.
                  Dressage from a vehicle? Who knew!

Since you say you enjoy trails/roads, look into joining a local club.
                  I belong to 2 - 1 is more social & mainly does drives in park district settings & on roads & each other's property. And does a Killer Potluck.
                  The other is more geared to competition & puts on CDEs, CTs & clinic GTGs.
                  Members of both are fun people & share their knowledge to relative-Newb me.
                  Best of both worlds .

ETA:
                  Oops. Did not realize this was a Zombie
                  Bumped by SPAM
                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Hello,
                    Can I learn to ride a horse by myself from books and with amateur tips or do I need classes with a coach? I do not plan to do this professionally, but I want to learn how to ride a horse properly.

Comment

Originally posted by little_Annie View Post
                      Hello,
                      Can I learn to ride a horse by myself from books and with amateur tips or do I need classes with a coach? I do not plan to do this professionally, but I want to learn how to ride a horse properly.
                      Hi little_Annie, reading about riding is a good first start, but you should definitely get lessons from a qualified instructor! A good coach will have calm horses that are well-trained for beginner riders. It's not just about learning how to be a good rider, it's a safety issue too.

You might want to try posting on the Off Course Forum, as this forum is specifically about carriage driving. If you're comfortable sharing your location, someone on here will have good recommendations for riding places near you. Good luck!

Comment

In addition to Heike Bean's book mentioned above, I'd also recommend The Essential Guide to Carriage Driving by Robyn Cuffey and Jaye Allison Winkel ( really good guide for beginners) and Driven Dressage with the Single Horse by Sandy Rabinowitz.

Comment

Working...
                        X