• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For Future Reference or Putting the Cart B4 the Mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Future Reference or Putting the Cart B4 the Mini

I just scored a nice new mini metal EZ-Entry cart at the Topeka auction.
    It was Choice #2, but #1 I was outbid.
    The only difference is #1 had a wooden floor & dash & for my current needs probably better off w/o the Fancy.

So:
    When my mini is driving reliably I'd like to Pimp My Ride < add wood floor & dash & perhaps a brass rein rail (harness is black leather w/brass) & whip holder.
    How gauche would it be for me to bolt wood to the existing floor/dash (maybe even add a patent dash?) stain & varnish?
    I'd also recover the vinyl seat with fabric & In My Dreams replace with a spindleback.

All miles down the road, but should I just leave well enough & budget for a fancier cart?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

If you want to show ADS, CAA, you probably want to save up for a fancier one. I am presuming this is a typical EZ entry cart sold a Topeka. I could be wrong as new, nicer designs are showing up all the time. Can you post a photo? I heard anyone can post photos on COTH now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, goodhors
      Yes, standard issue EZ-entry.
      I already have my (future) ADS cart picked out.
      But mini has to earn it
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I would add the whip holder and do the floor. I have a wooden floor on my easy entry cart and I like it much better than the metal. Dirt does not come up through it nearly as much.
        If the seat looks nice, clean and with no rips I'd be inclined to leave it and put the money towards the new cart . Your mini will earn his new cart before you know it!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, cayuse!
          I feel capable of adding the wood myself - probably with borrowed tools, but still....
          Seat is brand new, so recovering would be another step down the road.

goodhors: only pic is one I took when we got it home... in my garage. shafts propped on lawn furniture, with "stuff" all around it.
          Kind of a Where's Waldo shot
          Looks like this - with fenders:

Keep fingers crossed we are ready for the County Fair in August!
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

You could just make "slip covers" of fabric for the seat cushions. I would use Velcro for closing the seat back cover, run under the bottom of the cushion. If seat cushion is removable on the seat, you could just make a zippered cover out of nice fabric to use showing. Velcro would be your friend again to hold fabric in place if seat cushion is fixed to the cart.

The vinyl on those carts is hard wearing, usually lasts a long time if not left in the sun much. Some of that rubberized shelf liner to sit on, will keep you from sliding around while driving.

Are tires hard rubber on the wire spoked wheels? You might want to "upgrade" wheels to the type with only a few heavy metal spokes, like motorcycle or BMX bicycles use, or modern cart wheels trying to look traditional with big metal spokes. These wheels will take the torque of sideways forces better than even heavier wire spoked wheels will. Adding air filled heavy tires will give a slightly cushioned ride and allow cart not to sink into sand in arenas. or well used dirt roads.

Go and use the cart as is, when pony is ready. Just be prepared, have a plan in your head, should the wire spoked wheels fail in use. Fenders will help keep you a little cleaner/drier when you go thru wet places!

Comment

• Original Poster

Great idea for seatcovers, goodhors!
              Even non-sewing Me can get that done
              & shelf-liner butt-glue = brilliant!

The wheels on the cart are as you describe, not the lighter weight ones pictured.
              Air-filled and heavier/wider tread.
              On that subject: how gauche would it be to replace with wood wheels?
              Not for everyday or road use, but for "looks" at Fair or other non-ADS shows.

And thanks for letting my pick your wonderfully experienced Driving brain.
              If we ever make it to an ADS (or unrated?) show in Metamora or Kalamazoo are you close enough to GTG?
              I'd love to add another Met A COTHer notch to my belt
              Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

Wood wheels are cool. Just check the ground of arena, ring you will be competing in to make wheel choices that are suitable. Narrow tread wooden will cut into sand, make for harder pulling. Air filled tires should pull easier on sand, especially deep sand. I would go with wood on grass that is firm. But cost of wood wheels might be high, so the money would be better used saving up in your plan for nicer vehicle with wood wheels.

Glad you have the non-wire spokes. Lot of mini folks using the cast spokes, haven't heard of wheel issues with them. Check all the nuts and bolts regularly, often, to keep them tight, not letting pieces and parts wiggle loose.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to say Kalamazoo is a maybe. Depends on weather and if young mare is ready for appearing in public yet . It is a 2 hour drive for us. Some other project may need doing because it is a nice day. Pleasure Driving in classes is low on our "fun stuff" list. Mare is who we plan to polish up this year, getting her out and about learning about new things. We hope to take her to Metamora as well, but we have been unable to always get what we want there! Usually an injury of some sort. If we can't drive, we work as volunteers.

Guess we will know more closer to the date, for getting together, if you plan to attend.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry for the late response, goodhors
                    Right now - as mini has not even come home yet - all showing plans are on Hold.
                    If he comes back a Solid Citizen, we will do our local County Fair in August < so close I could literally drive him there!
                    My Carriage Club does the National Drive at KY Horse Park in October & ADS-hungry friend will want to go back to Prairie du Chien in September.
                    All that said, the Kalamazoo ADS show is in June & could be a possibility even if mini needs more schooling - friend could have one for me to drive.
                    As the date gets closer I'll be in touch here on the BB.

Like you, my plans aren't geared towards showing.
                    That is friend's Wanna & she has been nice enough to let me drive her pony, so the least I can do is act as groom & general gofer at shows.
                    I'd much more enjoy doing the drives my Club does regularly through the season.
                    Memorial Day weekend there's a 3-Day ride/drive to benefit Veterans I have mentally penciled in.

Looks like weather has finally turned decent, so Happy Driving to you!
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

The MHDVA Show is moving from Kalamazoo to Williamston, near Lansing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The move was just voted on Saturday because of issues with the Kzoo Fair Board and added expenses they wanted for much less usable grounds. It was not an easy choice for a lot of reasons, but the vote was to move the show location. Facilities are quite nice at the new location, new stabling. Large show ring and cones area. Parking close to stabling. Short distance off I-96.

Information about the change should be posted soon in various places, on Calendar listings, with details of new location. Dates are all the same.

Please share the location change with any driving folk you know, to prevent them arriving at the wrong location! We are really sorry about the change at such short motice.

2 Dogs I know this change may put the show too far to come for you. Perhaps you could still attend Metamora for a meet up in June.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the headsup!
                        Considering we drive 5h+ to WI for Prairie du Chien, the added ~70mi to Lansing is not a dealbreaker.
                        And I have friends who are sorta close to Lansing & might make the drive to see me & mini if we go.

Metamora at the end of June might be doable.
                        Seeing as I can hardly plan what to have for lunch today, anything that far out will be a mystery until at least the end of May

Geesh!
                        Time really does fly when you're Old!
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

Working...
                        X