• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spin off from the trained horse - how difficult is it to learn to drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin off from the trained horse - how difficult is it to learn to drive?

I've been taking lessons from a saddleseat trainer, behind her older and well trained ASB school horses.
    With patience and minor oversight I can put on the working harness and put to the little cart we use.
    It's very different IMO than riding, and I find myself being corrected a lot. I tend to want to push the horse into the rein, and close my hand, sometimes I "tip" my hand, and this style of driving uses elbow to hip pull. Saddleseat riding also uses elbow to hip pull and the concept of "guiding", neither of which I have truly mastered. I found myself "driving the cart" the other day, and almost ignoring what the horse was doing, it is hard to explain, I couldn't explain it to the trainer and I have no clue if it is a correct thing or going to present a problem.

What are the primary differences between riding and driving, and what would you all say are the most common types of mistakes I'm likely to make? Which ones are tolerable for a pleasure driver, and which ones are going to get me in serious trouble?

I'd like to stay with this trainer, but any comments would be appreciated!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My first question that you should ask yourself are: 1) Is this trainer driving in a style that you wish to pursue and 2) does she have the experience to teach you in the style you wish to pursue. It sounds like she has the experience and knowledge to teach you about safety -so we will assume that as a given.

Picking up the reins and getting the horse to walk, trot, whoa and turn left and right - easy for the already trained horseperson. It is the finessing and learning to do it correctly that is a b****h. Knowing how to already ride, can make it so you have bad habits before you even start! Likewise, the good flexible rider can learn very rapidly to drive. Different styles of driving and reining, what aids to give from the seat, etc -are all vitally important in driving. They are kind of what everyone thinks about when learning to "drive."

Harnessing and learning to harness different types of horses, using different types of harness and learning how to do it correctly (even if the harness is completely in pieces), that can take a LONG time. Knowing how to harness means that you know the form and function for every single strap. The mechanics of the harness braking system, where the weight falls on the horse during different gaits and ground, etc. Everything has a function. What is the appropriate bit for the horse you are driving and why?

The next really difficult thing is learning what to do in an emergency. What do you do if a horse runs away? How do you handle a hot horse or a honking car or a dog between the legs? What do you do if the equipment breaks? What if the horse is resistant and kicks or backs up or rears or bolts? Some of this is only going to come through experience. Some of it is basic safety (don't get out of the cart - kind of stuff). There is a bunch of safety rules that are well worth learning!

Some people get a well-broke horse, a cart, get the harness adjusted to fit and drive. They never break out of that pattern, their driving is basic and they are happy. That is the extent of their learning. For them, they KNOW how to drive. I have friends who use their horses for farming. That is it. Ask them and they will tell you they KNOW how to drive. They are just like the person with the well broke riding horse, that only trail rides on their local trails and never steps out of their comfort zone. That is not really knowing how to drive. Yet, they are basically safe, often have great partnerships with their horse and would be very offended if you suggested they didn't know how to drive.

I have been driving for almost a decade. I still have LOTS to learn because I want to know everything. I keep expanding my horizons, learning new techniques, taking clinics. I have tons of stuff I still want to learn and yet I am thinking, reading, looking at magazines and books about driving all the time! Driving can be a full time and life long learning curve (which is why I love it). Especially if you are a history buff -then there is even lots more to learn!

So, it really depends what you want to get out of it.

The ADS has a webinar series on learning to drive, different types of driving etc.

In the end, I don't think there is an easy answer to your question -how long does it take to learn to drive...
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

Welcome to driving!

As Cielo stated there are a number of answers to your questions.

I came from the saddle seat world and started driving in breed shows. The change for me was minor. The biggest issue I had was to realize that just because you are behind the horse, you put no more (or less) rein contact than you would if you were riding the horse. I found it helpful to THINK I was riding to avoid that problem.

The handling of the reins by most people in this forum is very different than what is done in the saddle seat world. But the biggest issue is that the amount of contact and pressure is the same that you would use when you ride.

You might find it beneficial to have a reinboard to help your hands. (They are describe extensively in other threads)

In any style of horsemanship, you must pay attention to the horse at all times. I'm not sure what you mean by driving the cart ... unless you were so concerned with where the cart itself was going, that you ignored the horse's actions. Could you possibly clarify that?

I know that when I started driving I was very concerned about entering the ring gates and making the turns safely ... without being too close or too far from the rail. That all came with experience.

I also did a lot of circles and serpentines when I first started driving. I'd also pick a point and keep it between my horse's ears. We probably looked like we were doing equitation figures ... but it really helped both my horse and myself to learn how to handle things. I've never gotten away from using "schooling figures" ... I enjoy doing them and it teaches both myself and my horse a lot.
      The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you both for your input.
        CA, this trainer has a great deal of experience in the breed shows, and I could learn to be very good at that with her. My true goal in driving is not to drive a pretty horse in big circles around a judge, however. I'd like to go drive the carriage roads at Shakertown, or do some basic farm work such as skidding logs, or just clop down the quiet road I live on, turn around and come back. Nothing lofty or competitive.
        Now, it may be that I need to move on from this trainer as I progress, but in the meantime what other lines of questioning should I be pursuing? We haven't actually discussed what to do if the horse should bolt, I'm not sure if it is because the atmosphere is so controlled at her facility. I did ask specifically what to do in the event of an equipment failure. As we progress I'll gradually be asking about some of the specifics you mention, and any more that are added.

Horsegeeks, the contact thing comes and goes for me - the idea of "pulling" was a big no-no as I got to be a better rider (Western and lower than the low dressage then dabbling in H/J before saddleseat) and I have kind of avoided it even riding saddleseat. I use seat and leg as much as I can, it has lead to some frustration when I default to an opening rein because some of the ASB's weren't taught leg cues for bending in turns and my brain says "must be a green horse needs direct rein".
        Noooo, not quite right.
        As I go to shows and lesson and watch I am seeing how cues are used, and I am sort of getting it in driving. Sort of, I haven't quite gotten the outside rein thing yet, and I keep forgetting to pull back and then say "whoa". My trainer has explained that constant contact is a safety issue so I am being mindful. I've seen the phrase reinboard and read T1 's phrase reining machine - I'll do some searching.

"Driving the cart". Well, I couldn't make it understandable to my trainer either. I have logged over 10,000 hours of forklift driving at my work, and forklifts do NOT steer like cars or carriages, they turn from the back, but a forklift with a load is a lot like a cart with a horse - the center of turn/pivot point is under my feet on a forklift and my behind in the cart, the turning radius can be very tight, and the horse is just like an overtall pallet. So I end up using the same sorts of visual cues to go straight, decide when to turn, etc.. I don't use a spot between my horse's ears (I don't think I could anyway, I'd be looking at the ceiling. That cart is low), I tend to lean out to ensure my path is clear, establish a track and follow it. I do a lot of triangulation and visual reference. I already know exactly how wide "I" am as compared to what is in front of me. It is certainly intuitive for me but I worry that it isn't a good idea.
        Ah heck. I can't even explain it so I can understand it either. Let's just say that halting the cart and asking the horse to pivot the first time was not difficult to grasp. I have more trouble with keeping forward motion through a tight turn - it's like my mind is going "why bother" because at work I'd just stop and do a 180, and I know the horse can do it too.

Well thanks again, I'll be cogitating a bit and slowly asking questions, little by little as the opportunity presents, to try to put together a style that is safe and easy on the horse. And sorry it got so long!
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Steering the cart -YES! I do understand and you SHOULD be doing that. A lot of riders=new drivers, drive the cart from the horse's point of reference only. Example of what not to do: such a driver will go through a gate and hang up the axle on the gate post because they turned as if they are under a horse. You do have to be aware of where the cart is, and when turning the axle must pass through without hitting something! So, I do understand what you are writing -both horse and cart must be accounted for.

I thought maybe she was into breed showing. My question to you would be does she ever hack her horses out? Again, it comes down to the versatility of the driver/trainer. If she stays in her ring 24/7, she will be like the examples that I gave of people stuck in a little niche that don't have a complete skill set. Other breed showers do get out on the roads, etc. and have developed more skills than just showing.

If she is strictly a breed shower, I am afraid that you may find you will need to find a different trainer within months because her expertise (even the harness is different) is not consistent with what you eventually want to learn to do road driving, driving a forecart with attachments, driving a mower, skidding. etc.

I highly recommend checking out rural heritage or the draft horse journal calendars and finding field days/plow days and helping out (join the club too). They are SO much fun.
          Last edited by Cielo Azure; Apr. 27, 2010, 10:13 AM.
          Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

Fortunately, I was driving a Morgan when I was doing breed shows so I didn't run into the line of sight issues you're talking about. When I got interested in driving on non-flat surfaces, I bought a restored 1890 Kentucky Road Cart (now basically called a road cart). The larger wheels put me up higher so I could see where my horse was going ... it made a big difference.

Jill's advice is very good. The harnesses and carts that are safely used when pleasure driving out of the ring are very different from what is used in breed shows. I come from the Morgan world and a lot of the Morgan people have experience in both styles of driving.

Personally, I would go to the shows and clinics to find another instructor. Like anything there are good ones and bad ones. I would suggest taking a couple of lessons from other trainers/instructors before changing. It took me a long time to find someone I really "jelled" with.

Ironically, the person that has been the most helpful to me I met at a western tack shop. He's been a blessing.

You're going about this very sensibly! You'll find the right match up for you ... just take your time.

Jill ... GREAT advice from you!!!!
            The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Comment

See post 4 in the driving FAQ's at the top of this section for teaching an older horse to drive.

Indeed if you read right through there you'll find a few questions you need to ask answered for you: e.g. bitting, stopping a bolt etc etc .

Comment

Working...
              X