• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Martin's Fall Auction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin's Fall Auction

I will probably be attending just to watch and see prices, but if one were attending and shopping for a vehicle for a single horse for recreational driving (such as at Rockefellar State Park on the carriage driving trails) and carriage pleasure driving shows what would you pick out? Here are photos of the consignments
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...feed=129&gid=0
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...feed=129&gid=0

Geeze, that is overload. What an amazing assortment
    I bought an antique at auction once. Spent a fortune getting it refurbished, drove it in one show and changed from horses to ponies. Sold it and lost my shirt.
    but it was really beautiful and was a great ride. Never been in any vehicle that rode better.

Comment

First what size of horse or pony? Stylish, higher mover, flat mover? A Cob type, chunky body, slender or just a large, powerful, BIG moving horse? Draft size or regular horse on the BIG animal?

Will you be going out alone, as a couple or as a group, 3-4 folks along on your recreational drive? Local fun Driving shows or the higher level stuff?

Do you want carriage ready to go, or are you willing to work on it or send it for restoring or just get it fixed to be usuable, safe to drive?

Do we have a budget to shop with? Or can we get whatever will make us happy? Sometimes you can be VERY happy, or you may have to settle for being slightly less happy, staying within the budget!!

Comment

With no money restraints, I'd probably be looking at the wagonettes and Bronson Wagons - possibly the 3 seat surry - though most are bigger than we want to transport about. All do well for the type of pleasure driving we'll be doing. For now our cart and the used Eagle suit us just fine.

I'd be shopping for a ready to go - already restored vehicle as we've always been taught you do the restoration for your own pleasure, you usually don't get back what it cost you, so you might as well buy one with the work already done.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
          First what size of horse or pony? Stylish, higher mover, flat mover? A Cob type, chunky body, slender or just a large, powerful, BIG moving horse? Draft size or regular horse on the BIG animal?

Will you be going out alone, as a couple or as a group, 3-4 folks along on your recreational drive? Local fun Driving shows or the higher level stuff?

Do you want carriage ready to go, or are you willing to work on it or send it for restoring or just get it fixed to be usuable, safe to drive?

Do we have a budget to shop with? Or can we get whatever will make us happy? Sometimes you can be VERY happy, or you may have to settle for being slightly less happy, staying within the budget!!
          The horse I am sort of starting to look for a cart now for is 16.1 hands but probably only 1000 pounds Arab/DHH cross, tall but very slender built. He is very pretty and a fancy mover, but I don't think he is a stylish enough horse for a gig or a phaeton, and I don't think he is a heavy enough horse for a heavy multi-passenger vehicle like a Wagonette. The ones I have my eye on so far include the Cut Under Outing Wagon, the New York Trap, the Cut-Under Trap, and the Four Wheeled Dog Cart, but several of the other traps and runabouts I would like to see in person as the photos are not very good. I probably won't be buying at this sale, just going to watch and check prices. Of the 4 I like pictures of the dog cart looks to be the ony one that really needs work. It says the cut under outing wagon is new, so would like to compare what a new vehicle at auction goes for compared to what buying it from the dealer costs. I have no idea where all we will go for our horse, he is the only Half-Arab we have kept and we will be waiting 3-4 years for our first crop of Dutch Harness Horses to be of age and I know I will want different vehicles for them (like a Dutch show wagen and a really really fancy phaeton for the ladies phaetons classes and a really fancy gig too! we'll have to build a carriage house to display them).

Comment

Wow! I want to save those files for reference.

A question. Those wicker/basketweave governess carts, what size pony were they designed for?

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, and the Lion Sleigh looks like a lot of fun! One of the farms I worked for had a Portland Cutter and we would jog the horses in the snow in the winter for exorcise, so looking at all the sleighs and cutters makes me want one of those too. The burgundy Albany Cutter is really beautful....

Comment

I think the catalog from THIS auction would be agreat reference tool. THIS auction selection is more like the auctions were when we first got into this sport. Lots ov variety and lots of unusual ( in a good way) vehicles

I really like the Friday offereing Swiss wagonette and I dont think from the picture that it looks too heavy for a single light horse to handle

We might actually be intrigued enough to wander out to this auction just to poke around

Comment

Wow! Now I understand why drivers flock to Martin's from all over the USA! *Very* impressive - I've never seen the lots online before. Thanks for posting.

My gut instincts: (1) always better to go 2-wheeled than 4-wheeled with a greenie; (2) if you DO go 4-wheeled, be sure you get something with a cut-under; and (3) I agree w/ you that for the horse you describe the wagonettes might be too heavy and also make the horse *look* clunky, which you don't want.

Kind of surprised you think he's not refined enough for a gig?? Can we see some pics??
                  "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

• Original Poster

I do have a jog cart that I have been breaking him in and he is going very well, but I have no pictures. He goes like an Arab hunter pleasure horse, in a round, lower headed frame, but with a bit of loft and float to his gaits, he's not the bold moving upright head set sort of horse I think of as being in front of a gig. I do like the French Family Cart, I want to see that one in person, and the Buckeye Norena, too. I generally dislike Meadowbrooks and any other sort of back entry two wheeled cart with the whole flipping the seat up contraptions to get in and out. LOL the Tonga cart looks like something an elephant should be pulling. I really don't think I will be buying anything this fall, maybe in the spring

Comment

Oooo... momma wants. I'll take a gig and an Albany cutter for driving in a big oval around the hay field in the winter. Think the mare on my profile is fancy enough to pull off a gig?
                      "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
                      you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Comment

Wow, what am amazing collection! That Calaysa -- I'd have to look closely at that one. You'd have to have a very small person as whip, wouldn't you? I like the French family cart too. So many to choose from! Can't wait to hear about the prices and other details!

Comment

I am still drooling over some of the carriages! I wish I was closer! I am sure my husband is glad we aren't!

Comment

I found my Martin's brochure and liked the photo of the slat-sided Trap. It appears to have a full fifth-wheel under the front. Looks very airy, lightweight, for your smaller horse. He sounds leggy, but not heavy. Photo shows vehicle in good condition. Natural finish is more country than formal, but could be dressed up some.

We had a trap for our shorter horse, weighed about 900 pounds. She handled it very well, even with 4 adults riding. We found the Trap to load easily into truck bed, ride very well on trail dirt roads or in the ring. Ours was on a reach, so didn't turn really short, but was short coupled, so not huge area needed to get around.

Traps are usually pretty lightweight, with the better ones almost appearing airy, with impossibly thin spoked wheels, floating the bodies along. They all seem to ride well. Soft, not the firm ride of modern carriages. Like a Grampa car. Some may be age, worn springs, but folks wanted a soft ride back then, roads were usually very bad.

Another good looking vehicle was the Swiss Wagonette. Also appeared light and airy. Able to hold several people, yet not need a huge horse to handle the carriage. Again, real nice, but not formal vehicle. Nice for picnic or the ring. Could be good-looking with a high stepping horse in front.

You are right about having to see carriages in person. Photos can really throw perspective out the window. I am more a 4-wheel vehicle person, rather than carts and 2-wheelers.

There is certainly a lot of vehicle variety coming to this sale. Not usually this good a selection. I would bring some money if you can for shopping. Prices are usually better to buyers in the fall. Sometimes you only get one shot at a great vehicle! It disappears into someone else's barn, never to be visible again.

Looks like we are going. Time for some vacation time off the farm!

Comment

• Original Poster

I had fun watching today, did not buy anything. Prices seemed low, new or nicely restored, very usable old vehicles selling over and over for $1500-$3500. One Brewster vehicle sold for $15k, I was only there for a few hours. If you are in the area tomorrow you ould go lots more cool stuff to sell tmorrow, i have to clean stalls and work horses

Comment

• Original Poster

Also, for anyone who was their or who received a catalog in the mail, when I got there Friday morning they were sold out of catalogs and I would like to purchase one for future referance.

Comment

What were the pony carriages going for?? (i.e. restored) ......
                                  "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

I thought most of the prices on everything, were up some. I didn't keep track of all the vehicles. Martins will send a selling price list of the catalog carriages, if you want to pay for it.

I don't think they track the Saturday Field vehicles on that price list. Had a wreck of a Brester Dogcart out there. About the only semi-solid parts were wheels and the sides, basket-weave pressed panels. Lots of rot and insect damage. I was buying other stuff, didn't see it sell. All the metal parts were there.

Brewster marked anything, vehicles, appointments, lamps, wrecks, seemed to go for big money.

I saw lots of nice vehicles, restored, which went for less than restoration prices. Others went for good money, especially the better makers. Pony stuff seemed to go well on Friday, if it was a nice vehicle. Great looking pony Phaeton Lot 84, with hood, dickey seat, unknown maker, older restoration, went for $7700. Terrific White Chapel Cart Lot 81, French Carriage Co. went for $10,000. It was ready for the ring. Very nicely restored Trap Lot 82 went for $3200. Tagged Elkhart Carriage. Restored sleighs did pretty well, got good prices. Several very cute pony sleighs.

That slat-sided Trap I liked in photos, was not as nice in person. It didn't start life as a trap. Had a nice body, but trap features were added, and were just a bit off. Body was heavier than a regular trap, maybe was a dogcart before. Full size 5th-wheel. More heavy in wheels and axles than most traps. Looked coarse. Colors were ugly up close, darker beige lower body, natural wood slats and wheels. Slats were not open, had boards behind them. Just not a good marriage of parts, to me. Missed the exact price, over $2000.

On the other hand lot 116, that Swiss Wagonette was even prettier than photos. Made by Burtis, NY. Cob sized, very airy look over-all. Seats in rear folded down out of sight. Very nice closed look, sleek. Enough room to seat a couple adults behind. Sure would have been buying this if we needed a carriage in cob size! Excellent restoration,good paint job in a soft green. Went low I thought, for $3600. Lamps went for $475. Hadn't seen such a pretty Wagonette for a real long time.

Lots of Gigs, large, med, small. Projects and ready to go, all sold fairly well. I thought the roof seat breaks went low, all under $10,000. I saw the Calaysa go for $3200. Looked in good condition, did need a tiny driver, NARROW animal to pull. Maybe a donkey or mule, no width to short shafts. The French Family Cart Lot 180, brought $2500. The top was so white, it detracted from the rest of the cart. It was an interesting vehicle, had a rear entry door, with two tiny seats on sides, behind driver seat. I would like to have seen cart with no top. It was in good condition.

I didn't see all the stuff go thru, kind of looked for the interesting (to me) ones. We weren't looking for vehicles, so I was in and out during the sale, just marked prices on some, and appointments.

Comment

Working...
                                    X