• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fitting a cart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a cart

I'm starting to investigate carts a little more and was wondering about what measurements are the most important to determine size. I was told length of shaft is usually pretty close to blanket size give or take a little. The first cart I came across that I liked had a 68 inch shaft and my pony measures a 63" blanket so I figured it was going to be too long even if I could cut off an inch or so. The wheel on this particular cart was also a 40" and if I go by the chart at the American Driving Society it says 36" for a 12 hand pony and 39" for a 13 hand pony. My pony is 12.3 so I figured I would need something inbetween those two numbers. I may just order one to his measurements if I can't find something that will work. Seems easy to find small pony and large pony but a bit more difficult for ponies inbetween. I looked thru the archives but couldn't find much. I want somthing like this for Dressage, Cones and to show Pleasure driving http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ryroadcart.jpg

I just measured my horse tip of the should to longest on the rump and she measured 63" but I am guessing a 72" blanket would fit her. I am probably getting 80" shafts
    I would ignore the blanket theory and measure the length of the pony. Then you need room to spare so cart isn't too close. I was told ADS rules are the cart should be at a minimum 19.5" from horse but most go closer so the horse isn't so far away. Width is also important on shafts depending on how wide or narrow your pony

Comment

• Original Poster

His actual length would be 58" Using your method (length + 19.5") that would be 77.5" shaft and I know that isn't correct.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmoves View Post
        His actual length would be 58" Using your method (length + 19.5") that would be 77.5" shaft and I know that isn't correct.
        I said most go closer as the 19.5 rule is too far. The used one you are looking at doesn't sound too long. Only 10" longer than pony which may be too short.

Comment

small pony 60"
          large pony 65" sounds like what you need

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by China Doll View Post
            I said most go closer as the 19.5 rule is too far. The used one you are looking at doesn't sound too long. Only 10" longer than pony which may be too short.
            Yes, the used cart has 68" shafts. If you are saying the 68" may be too short how is the 65" going to work?

Comment

small pony 60"
              large pony 65" sounds like what you need
              This is just some general sizing I pulled off a website that sells shafts.
              Making a general statement. If it were me I would hook it up and look at it.
              As far as the wheels the shafts should be level when hitched.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is just some general sizing I pulled off a website that sells shafts.
                Making a general statement. If it were me I would hook it up and look at it.
                As far as the wheels the shafts should be level when hitched.
                So how would you measure a horse to know if the particular wheel height is going to be correct or not if you can't have the horse there to try on the cart?

Comment

The shafts must be horizontal to the ground (or close to) when in the tugs.Therefore, you have to know where the harness tugs go on the horse, correctly, and measure from there to the ground. With that info, a carriage maker should be able to tell you what size wheels you need on their cart.
                  All carts are different, depending on their design. Easy entry may have shafts that attach to the cart lower, etc.

The length of the shafts is a different matter entirely, and I can't help with that except to say that I've been told you should have at least 10" clearance between the horse and the swingletree, and to never use the last opening in the traces.

Good luck!

NJR
                  Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

I just ordered a new carriage yesterday and we are ordering it 13-15" longer than the horse. But a 4 wheel is at a lower angle than a 2 wheel so 2 wheel could be less distance

Comment

part of how far you want the carriage from the horse, is the way the horse travels and the build of the carriage. My pony wears a 69" blanket, my 2 wheel vehicle has 66" shafts. There is nothing under the vehicle for her to get her legs hitting so she could be pretty close. She is a little further away with the marathon vehicle because it is built lower.

Comment

• Original Poster

So if I was going to purchase a cheap easy entry cart to begin with would it be o.k. to purchase the Cob size which has 72" shafts because the pony size comes with 60" shafts that's going to put him too close. I plan on ordering another show cart to fit him in the spring.

Comment

I think the reason why you've struggled to draw response from the experienced drivers here is that your's is a question that can't be definitively or properly answered.

Also the vehicle you showed in the photo wouldn't really be suitable for dressage or cones. I can't actually see properly but it doesn't have a back step does it?? Also it's looking like it doesn't have a swingletree? Looks to me like a fixed trace attachment?? Is it??? What it definitely doesn't have though is any adjustments and as such it's a very basic exercise pleasure driving vehicle. Hence I'm thinking that those who know cones and dressage driving will be knowing that it's just not the right sort of vehicle.

How long the shafts are depends on what sort of carriage you're looking to buy.

For instance a horse driving trials cross country vehicle often has short shafts so the horse can move totally freely at the shoulder.

A private driving gig or trap would have different shafts totally:

There's all sorts and types in between those two photos I've exampled. I think you will understand from seeing the differences in shafts on the photos that this stuff about blanket size is just nonsense.

Then we turn to how far in front of the carriage the horse is. You've got some nonsense "advice" there too.

How far the horse is forward of the carriage again totally depends on the design of the carriage. Quite simply though the horse has to be far enough forward so that nothing interferes with his hind leg extension.

For a small pony the size you mentioned for a 2 wheeler gig type of carriage then you want to be looking at wheels between 28 and 33 inches.

39inches would be pretty huge.
                          Last edited by Thomas_1; Nov. 22, 2009, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I understand that Thomas may have a different perspective but the vehicle you show, a road cart, as made by County Carriages, and many others, is perfectly fine for pleasure shows, cones, dressage and low level CDE's. They are a great beginner to whatever vehicle, until you are doing Prelim CDE and want a 4 wheeler.
                            The 2 wheel, easy entry cart for anything over a mini, has problems. The wheel base is very narrow and it is not stable. The wheels are not strong enough to take the pressure on turns. Many shows do not allow them. Save your money and get a vehicle you can use for a while or forever.

Comment

• Original Poster

I want something I can do dressage, cones and show in the Welsh shows. I really don't like the looks of the easy entry carts at all even for just training. I did see that you could get steel wheels for them.
                              Last edited by nightmoves; Nov. 22, 2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmoves View Post
                                I want something I can do dressage, cones and show in the Welsh shows. I really don't like the looks of the easy entry carts at all even for just training. I did see that you could get steel wheels for them.
                                Not sure about the Welsh breed shows but the rule book will give you lots of info on what is allowed. ADS is what I am going to show in next year and there rules are totally different than my breed shows. I also thought your cart seemed suitable for that and they can be made to the standards required for CDE.

Comment

Working...
                                X