• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Live Oak... FINAL UPDATE/PICS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Oak... FINAL UPDATE/PICS

The Budweiser Live Oak International opens today at Live Oak Farm in Ocala, Florida. Here is a little bit of the history of the Live Oak CDE...

"Since its inception in 1993, the Live Oak Combined Driving Event has become one of the premier Combined Drivng Events in North America. Since 1995, the Event has hosted Selection Trials for both the United States and Canadian Equestrian Teams and in 1998, was granted international sanctioning by the Federal Equestre Internationale. In 2000, a classic car show was added to the Live Oak venue. The car show has grown to over 150 beautifully restored classic cars which are on display throughout the final day of the Live Oak Event. In 2002, Live Oak hosted the Horse Fever auction, which raised over $800,000 for numerous Marion County charities. In 2003 the event was elevated to a CAIA, the only event of this level in the United States. Due to the success of the Horse Fever Auction, we will again work with The Marion Cultural Alliance to host an equestrian art auction to benefit charities.

The site of the Event is Charlotte Weber's pristine Live Oak Plantation, in Ocala, Florida, one of the South's largest and most extensive Thoroughbred operations, spanning over 4,500 acres."

We are going to be moving in early tomorrow morning. Sam is showing in Intermediate Single Pony. I would expect a large class, in fact it could be as many as 12/15 entrants. I don't know how many drivers are entered total but I have been told it could be close to 90.

There is one major change this year.... for the 1st time at Live Oak there is no standing presentation. Presentation will be judged on the go. For those drivers who feel presentation is the major part of their show and put forth that special extra effort Freedman Harness is sponsoring special presentation awards for all classes as well as special cash awards for the grooms of the best overall Intermediate and FEI presentation entries.

Sam and AJ are as ready as anyone can be. They spent last weekend (Saturday and Sunday) up at Kingsforth Hall working with their trainer, Sterling Graburn. Monday, Sam did a little light dressage work and put AJ through her cones course here on our farm. Yesterday, She just took AJ on a nice ride (bareback), just the two of them. After school today Sam will go over the checklist for the trailer again, clean her presentation carriage and harness, and AJ has the day off.

She is driving a very nice Doe Run Spider Phaeton for her dressage and cones. It has light Oak wheels and trim with Patent Leather fenders. The carriage is black with grey cord upholstery. Sam will do the major cleaning and waxing tonight, cover it, load it on the trailer, and just touch it up before her class on Friday. She will use her marathon carriage to excercise AJ tomorrow and then just have to clean her marathon carriage and harness on Friday afternoon after her dressage class. Advanced has dressage tomorrow and Intermediate goes on Friday.

I know most of the folks we know here in Florida are either showing (a few of them) or volunteering (a lot of them) at Live Oak. Volunteers make it happen. Thanks to all of y'all for helping out. A show like this one uses a LOT of volunteers.

If you are planning on being at the show as a spectator watch for us and say "Hey". I don't know Sam's number yet or her stall number either but we will be there.

I will be staying in Ocala Friday and Saturday night. I will try to keep y'all posted as to what is happening each day if I can. I probably won't have any pictures 'til first of the week.

Don
    Last edited by horseyfolks; Mar. 27, 2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: Update
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Best of luck Team Orem.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy the show.
    The gang up here will be thinking of you all and look forward to the show summary.
    Denise

Comment

I knew it was time for Live Oak!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and looking eagerly forward to daily reports from the show.

Leia
      Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Comment

As one of the volunteers on Saturday on a hazard---

I will be cheering Sami, AJ and Joanne for all I am worth as they come through our hazard. Don, tell Sami to remember to sing and breath!!

This is the one show a year I always work (going on my 5th year now) .
        Finally have made it as hazard judge, now called observer.

Good luck to all I know who are competiting.

Comment

Good Luck to

all of those competing and volunteering, I know it can get rough out in the sun all day watching all those nice horses go around the course. I wish every one a safe trip and all the goes wrong is a little sunburn

I wish I could be there but I am on marestare and I will update you all as soon as Midget decides on the arrival time of her creation.

Have fun

Karen

Comment

Good luck all! And have fun
            Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

PnP Distributors - KUTZMANN Carriages
            Ashemont2@gmail.com

Comment

Go for it, all! I know you'll do well, and we'll be thinking of you!

Don, please keep us updated as you are able.

Dale

Comment

I have spent the last 2 days at Live Oak. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with groundskeepers still mowing the lush grass, and the weather is perfect. I have hauled Rylee down both days and let her chill out in the horse trailer and then driven her. Working on attitude, attitude, attitude. Yesterday she was so good that I wanted the dressage judging done NOW. Rylee will stay home today and I will work her here and try to get her mentally tired (relaxed?) rather than physically tired(impossible). I have walked the 7 hazards with 5 gates at least 6 times and have a pretty good idea of where I am going. Will work more on that this afternoon before the official course walk. I am not trying to prove how fast we are. I just want reasonable flowing routes to give this mare a good experience. She is still very green to be showing Intermediate....especially at Live Oak. The Gulch looks particularly treacherous and intimidating. I believe most of the turnovers take place here. We are definitely playing it safe on that one. Intermediate is doing the Timbers for the first time. Routes do not look too bad.
                In Intermediate, there are 13 ponies, 20 horses, 5 pony pairs, 5 horse pairs. Advanced has 12 ponies, 6 horses, 3 pony pairs, 9 horse pairs, and 3 horse fours.

Comment

Wow. I'm surprised there are no pony 4's in advanced since it is a selection trial for pony worlds. I would have thought there would be at least one or two.
                  Can't wait to hear more.

Comment

Here's a little cheer for Sterling, a strong competitor and very successful in the past and with loads of promise for a very bright future in driving. I expect he will be tough to beat.
                    http://regcorkumlive.blogspot.com/

Comment

Go Ponies!!

We'll be tailgating, as usual, next to the water and covered bridge...cheering on the ponies and especially the Welshies!! Unfortunately, my hubby had to be out of town, on an extended business trip, so we will not be having the delicious food he usually serves up.

We're still putting up our tent and banner and rooting for the ponies though. Friends are coming to hang out for the day...I told them it's a BYO this year...LOL. Looks like the weather will be fabulous. Everyone stay safe and have fun.
                      Leah McFarlin
                      Winding Oaks Welsh & Sport Ponies in Morriston, FL
                      www.wowelsh.com
                      Home of BF Oliver Twist & Misty Mountain Brynmor

Comment

Originally posted by Wowelsh View Post
                        We'll be tailgating, as usual, next to the water and covered bridge...cheering on the ponies and especially the Welshies!! Unfortunately, my hubby had to be out of town, on an extended business trip, so we will not be having the delicious food he usually serves up.

We're still putting up our tent and banner and rooting for the ponies though. Friends are coming to hang out for the day...I told them it's a BYO this year...LOL. Looks like the weather will be fabulous. Everyone stay safe and have fun.

Can anyone tailgate anywhere? Do you have to have special passes to get by the water? I tried to find info on the website but couldn't find anything.
                        Corner Stone Farm
                        Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

Comment

Price, you are right. There are 3 pony 4's: Elizabeth Keathley, Allison Stroud, and Boots Wright.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thursday night update!

Our first day at Live Oak is history. We moved in this morning, arriving about 9:30 AM. After getting AJ settled in his stall we (Sam and I) went over to the show office to get checked in and pick up the packet. We did a bit of visiting and headed back to the barn area. Corky Parisini was there and AJ got a nice little massage and then Sam hitched him and did some light dressage in one of the 3 warmup dressage arenas. After that we walked hazards.

Live Oak is such a beautiful place to compete at. I've got a couple pics to try and give those of you who have not been there an idea of what it is like. At 5:00 PM everyone took part in the official course walk. Most of the drivers got a surprise.... about halfway through the course walk we all came around a corner on our ATVs and there were a whole bunch of Budweiser (the major sponsor ) people giving everyone cold beer (in cans), Budweiser Mardi Gras Beads, and tee shirts! At the end of the course walk there were more folks with big plastic bags picking up the empty cans and papers as we drove through as well as giving out more free beer.

After the course walk, instead of going to the BBQ, Sam elected to walk her dressage test. She went over it for about an hour, we checked on AJ giving him more hay and filling his water buckets, and we left for home.

Sam does her dressage tomorrow and I'll try to update y'all tomorrow night. Here are a few pictures from Live Oak today....

The first pics are of Sam in one of the warmup dressage arenas.

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/warmup001.JPG

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/warmup002.JPG

The next two pics are of the marathon course.....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course001.JPG

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course002.JPG

This pic is taken across one of the hazards (the Eagles Nest). The huge white tent you see in the background is the temporary barn for the Budweiser Clydesdales....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course003.JPG

Here is a pic of the Vendors Village behind one of the hazards...

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/vendors001.JPG

This is a picture of "the Gulch". This hazard has probably caused more turnovers at Live Oak than any other hazard there. In the picture I am taking the shot from the top of the hazard, just to the right of the entrance gate. You can get an idea of how "steep and deep" the Gulch is by looking at the center of the picture. That is Sam down in the bottom taking a minute to wave for the camera while she was walking the hazard.

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/gulch002.JPG

Finally, here is a picture of Sam, Bobbie Cook (the owner of Hunters Creek Farm and the U.S. distributer of WCC Carriages), and Harvey Lagasse (on the left) the WCC Florida Sales Rep. Bobbie is Sam's Carriage Sponsor and Harvey is both a family friend and one of Sam's biggest fans.....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20...mbobharvey.JPG

Thanks for taking time to read my post and look at the pictures.... I'll try to have more tomorrow.

Don
                            *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
                            "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Comment

What a beautiful venue... but it's so FLAT! Is the whole marathon like that? And free beer too? Gee, wish I was there with Maggie
                              Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

PnP Distributors - KUTZMANN Carriages
                              Ashemont2@gmail.com

Comment

Wowelsh--I will see you as I am working the water hazard!! Will you throw a poor working volunteer a couple of scraps?

Gray17--the tailgating is a pricy affair from what I have heard. There are only so many places to tail gate. These folks get real serious--they have canopies, tables, all kinds of goodies.

Good luck to all competitors.

Pat--Live Oak is rolling plains. That particular part of Ocala is not as hilly as some parts. There may be some rises and falls but for the most part it is pretty flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartfall View Post
                                  Wowelsh--I will see you as I am working the water hazard!! Will you throw a poor working volunteer a couple of scraps?

Gray17--the tailgating is a pricy affair from what I have heard. There are only so many places to tail gate. These folks get real serious--they have canopies, tables, all kinds of goodies.

Hey Cartfall...come by and say hello! We're not serving up any food this year, because my husband is the cook and he's not here. No one would want to eat my cooking...LOL. On top of that, the 2 tailgating spots and our tent are running us over $400, so I don't want to go all out, without my hubby here to enjoy it.

I'm planning to pick up some picnic food for us and maybe some snacks to have around. I'll probably have some extra cold drinks around, if you get dry. ;-) See you there!
                                  Leah McFarlin
                                  Winding Oaks Welsh & Sport Ponies in Morriston, FL
                                  www.wowelsh.com
                                  Home of BF Oliver Twist & Misty Mountain Brynmor

Comment

Sooooo...how'd she do??

Leia
                                    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Comment

Just looked for the millionth time and finally the dressage scores are posted on the Live Oak Website. Google Live Oak CDE and then results. I think Sam was in 9th out of 12 or 13.
                                      A friend there said it is really hot and I'm hoping everyone has a good, safe day today. The heat will make the day harder on everyone.

Comment

Hey, Don, I want pictures of Sam going through those marathon obstacles!! Especially the Gulch (if you can bear to look...)

Comment

Working...
                                        X