• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

NEW UPDATE...CPR and the Wife (Rose)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kookicat - we welcome all to this board, but be warned we like to suck you in and get you hooked - literally First thing you know it'll be thinking about driving your eventer or your semi retired pony and we've got you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I do have an out of work mare who I could use....
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLW:
      It's just the fact that your grass is still green that makes me jealous! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That and the fact that it will be back in the 70's by tomorrow are what I like about our winters!

Comment

SLW - You get 20 degrees and NO humidity???

Here in NJ we have the "best" of both worlds - cold AND humid

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Here in NJ we have the "best" of both worlds - cold AND humid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was born and raisd in NJ and can attest to that! One of my mother's favorite sayings was "If you can live in NJ you can live ANYWHERE" and she sure was right. I've lived all over the US and the world and never had a problem adjusting to various climates
          Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

PnP Distributors - KUTZMANN Carriages
          Ashemont2@gmail.com

Comment

• Original Poster

First, the weather! It was VERY COLD here this morning At 6:45 AM when Sam went out to feed it was 36 degrees at the barn The horses were all blanketed, the donkey was blanketed, even the dogs had to have their blankets on before they were let out of the house at 6:30 to do their business. Sam fed and then her and I went to the Cafe for breakfast. By the time we finished, stopped at the feed store for wormers, and got back to the barn (8:00) it was 42 and with the sun up strong it was warming quickly. At noon it was 70 in the sun (thats a LOT better). Supposed to be colder tonight!

Well my wife, Rose, spent an hour grooming and fussing over Cyman today and then about an hour and a quarter driving him close to the house. Because he is new to her she wanted to stay close so she just worked around the barns and the house and she had a ball! I think Cyman thinks he has died and gone to pony heaven! He has found someone who likes to go slow, have long conversations with while driving, and who's idea of moving out briskly involves a very slow relaxed trot I really believe Cyman thinks Pita is absolutely nuts! Sam and Pita go flying by with those legs pumping and you can almost see Cyman shake his head at how any pony could be that crazy. On the other hand he does not mind Jake along with him as long as Jake is in front. He does not like Jake and his cart behind him at all but he is perfectly content to follow behind.

We made a few adjustments to the harness and it seems to be fitting better. Got a ways to go but I think its going to be ok.

Here are some pics...

http://www.floridafatboy.com/Cyman/cyman007.jpg

http://www.floridafatboy.com/Cyman/cyman008.jpg

http://www.floridafatboy.com/Cyman/cyman009.jpg

http://www.floridafatboy.com/Cyman/cyman010.jpg

I appreciate y'alls patience reading and commenting on these posts. I know its not as exciting to y'all as it is to us....

Don
            *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
            "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Comment

Don,

I DO HOPE that you and Rose will bring the new guys with you to Black Prong. I'm sure he could use the "experience" of hanging out and that way everyone can fuss over him. I was checking out the Caspians at the Whips weekend back in Oct as Annie was one of the youth drivers that Bob worked with. What a cute breed. And hey guys, they are HORSES not ponies. I guess it has to do with how they are put tigether. Ane yes, I know that by height measurements they fit in the "pony" category

BTW, you guys staying over or trailering in each day? When will you know Sammi's times? I have to work on Friday, but hope to swing by over the weekend as it is only 14 miles from my house. Might go ride Luke also as Bob is competing. Gotta drive that direction anyway as the vendors have toset up at the local gas station (which I think in TERRIBLE!)

Comment

Hi all you driving nuts:

Don that photo number ten says it all!!!! What a grin on Rose's face. I'm so glad this is working for you.

Dreag, I remember you from the Whips event. You were doing a great job hauling Bob around on a golf cart. Thank you for doing that. People who do those volunteer type jobs need all the credit and praise we can dish out. I also want to thank you for sticking up for the fact that a Caspian is a HORSE and DNA studies show them to be an ancestor of the Arabian. They can't help it if they were lost from recorded history for 2000 years.

I drove the Hunter Pace 5 mile carriage Pace at Misty Morning Hounds Perry Plantation this afternoon. The lack of volunteers was rather apparent. When you drive 5 miles without seeing another person or horse it feels a little lonely. A volunteer on an ATV looking over the course with Binoculars would have been a security blanket. The drive went without a hitch (pardon the bad pun)

This event was poorly attended maybe due to cold but after lunch it was pretty nice for cry'in out loud. I would like to see some other board members try this drive when it comes up again. It's very easy and low key and we should try to support every driving venue available. If these folks lay out a course and do all the paperwork and only a couple of carriages show up they will quickly make Perry Plantation not available for driving. I will offer my services to help them lay an interesting course if they do it again.

Unfortunately they did not allow me to use Triumph as he is a stallion so Arman had to pull the little Jerald cart by himself. He trotted as fast as he could for at least 85% of the course, cantered about 5%, and slowed his trot for about 10%. He had plenty left at the end of the five miles.

Caspiandriver
                http://www.DiMarCaspians.com

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

This event was poorly attended maybe due to cold but after lunch it was pretty nice for cry'in out loud. I would like to see some other board members try this drive when it comes up again. It's very easy and low key and we should try to support every driving venue available. If these folks lay out a course and do all the paperwork and only a couple of carriages show up they will quickly make Perry Plantation not available for driving. I will offer my services to help them lay an interesting course if they do it again.
                  </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'd had some advance notice I would have attended! Was it on the Whips calendar? It doesn't have to be a Whips event to be listed there so maybe you can get them to help publicize it next year. I want to get down there and meet up with the Misty Morning Hunt and this would have been a good opportunity to do that. I have a lifelong goal of learning how to fox-hunt and I think this next year will be my year to start. We're going to have a son attending U of FL in Gainesville in two years so I thought I could work in visits to him along with hunting with the MM group! Wish I'd been there to drive with you today!!

BTW, Haflingers are also horses, genetically speaking. But they get called ponies by a lot people, including me!

Comment

Whatever the breeding, if animal is under the size listed, 14.2H in most instances, it is a pony.

I am more Western oriented and that was always the cutoff point. I know that other disciplines like Pony Club include 14.2H as pony size. Sure was a surprise to my old Western horse, when she was measured a pony for Gymkana games competition! She was exactly 14.2H, always had been a horse size for my Western riding shows.
                    We have met a lot of small QHs over the years who didn't reach 14.2H and lost their QH papers from the registry. They were well-bred, cute, proportionate, but forever after, ponies. Not ever called small horses. Didn't matter if their parents had been horses, it was all a height decision.
                    Arabs go just by bloodline, don't pull papers on small animals, just call them Arabs. I have heard them refered to as Arab pony and Arab horse, depending on individual. Compete at breed shows in the same classes.
                    Morgans seem to be the same way, do not pull the papers on small ones. Though little ones may move from breed Morgan shows to pony show classes. Can fetch more money as ponies than as Morgans.

Comment

Ridesahaflinger: Here is link to Misty Morning schedule: http://www.mistymorninghounds.com/fixture.html
                      Looks like there is a Pace March 11 and April 8

sorry to set off the pony/horse debate. Call 'em whatever. Just ride 'em or drive 'em and give 'em a hug and a pat for me.

Comment

Andrea, how did you hear about the vendors? I was informed to keep it quiet, but I will be there. Yes, it is terrible, but as Alan said "it's his sandbox".

I am going to try to slip away to see some of the marathon.

Comment

DK,
                          I'm new to this driving stuff, so I don't even know what half these events ARE. What the heck is a pace? I've seen it listed in calendars but am clueless.

Looks like a nice facility. I agree with getting it listed in the FL WHIPS calendar, I look there a lot. Volunteering is a great way to learn stuff without paying (such as the whips workshop). I have to be careful not to over-volunteer myself, I have a way of doing that.

Justinesue: I heard about the vendors from a thread here months ago. I sent an email saying that as a newbie having vendors was VERY helpful in learning about stuff. Heck, last year the Black Prong CDE was the first driven event I ever went to. I asked lots of questions from the vendors and it did not detract from the action. Heck, one year later I have taken the WHIPS/SFCC 2 day learn to drive class, moved to a place with acreage, found a horse to lease, started taking driving lessons with Bob, went to (and volunteered at) the Whips 3 day clinic, bought a cart and a harness. This all started with going to Black Prong and getting interested in driving. Alan had said he would have vendors in Feb., hope this is true.

email me at dreag823@aol.com. Maybe I can help watch the shop if you want to go watch some competition. Us Levy COunty folk need to stick together!

Comment

• Original Poster

Actually, a horse under 14.2 is not automatically considered a pony under ADS rules. It is really up to the owner.

When we decided to get a Caspian I did a lot of research.. in regards to "is a Caspian a pony or a horse" I found the following...

According to ADS Rules Chapter 8, Article 15, Paragraph 3 ... "In all but Combined Driving Competitions, a registered horse of a breed permitting horses to be 14.2 and under (i.e. Arabian, Morgan, Quarterhorse, etc) may show as a horse, but not as a horse and a pony at the same show."

It's amazing that I actually know a reg. out of the book....

Don
                            "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Comment

Wow, Andrea, you have had a busy year. But, at least you knew exactly what you wanted to do. I applaude your enthusiasm and determination. We will have to meet up and drive together one of these weekends.

Thanks for the offer. My friend that sells with me may be there, but I will let you know. I would like to see Cartfall and Sammi do the marathon and get some pics. I have a very good camera with a big zoom. I need to see these outfits in action that me and my friend have been working on for Horsefolks.

I seriously doubt if vendors will be allowed at Black Prong in Feb. They haven't been allowed to the other shows, so why then? You have to figure that we may p---s Alan off after this coming show, too.

Comment

Actually I just looked this up in the rulebook and it is not true of CDE's. There anything under 14.2 or 148 cm w/o shoes (I believe) is a pony.

Comment

Ridesahaffie,

A hunter pace is the hunter/eventer answer to the trace pace for drivers. I have actually ridden the Misty Morning Hounds Trace Pace a couple of times over the last few years. It was a very nice farm which had jumps on it. You ride/drive the route and you pick your pace as to the level of experience. You can jump or not. It really is a on your honor type of thing that you go the entire course. They even have one old pickup truck out in the middle of a field that people jump. They always offered a driving class but I wasn;t into the driving in those days. It was just something to do with my horse. We actually won one and placed third in another one year. We would go out in a group.

It really is a long haul from where I used to live for a 5 mile ride. But we wanted to try one. There is another down by Tampa, usually in Dec I think.

Kearlydk, glad to hear your little one could do fine by himself.

Comment

• Original Poster

Donna... give Harvey a call... he told me at Continental Acres that vendors will be at Black Prong in February.

49'er, I think thats what they mean in the rule I posted when it said "In all BUT Combined Driving Competitions..."

Andrea... no new guy at Black Prong. Don't want to distract Sam with anything except her CDE. Maybe in a couple weeks a trip up to Wanda's? Sam will be staying with Bob and Brenda, Pita will be in a stall at BP, and Rose and I will drive back and forth each day (got other horses to care for).

Probably won't know Sam's times until Thursday afternoon. We will be getting to BP about 2 or 2:30 on Thurs afternoon...

I know Pita is ready. Today, Sunday, is his last day of long miles for training. From now until the CDE he will get a little trot work, some driven dressage, and once or twice through the cones. A short warm up Thursday afternoon and Friday he will be ready and eager to go. My worry is he will be too ready

Sam, on the other hand, is not so easy. This kid has done probably close to 200 dressage shows up to and including State Championships and multiple Regional Championships. She has been demo lesson horse/rider for clinics with Michael Poulin, Walter Zettl, and Max Gahwyler. She is very familiar with center stage... You would think one more show would be no big deal, right? WRONG!! She acts like she is 8 years old and this is her first ever 4-H show! Things that she can do in her sleep she is suddenly worried about. She is afraid Pita will do things he has never even thought of doing. I'm thinking a double shot of Jack and a couple Prozacs the day of the show

Don

Comment

What a cute little guy...yeah, I know...20th person to say that...but he is.

I love driving ponies, you can hear em' swearing away under their little pony breath...

Wonder if I can carry a pony on the marathon carriage as a spare in case my Shire poops out?
                                      "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Okay, I miss a few days and one pony is gone another acquired and I see something about your wife Rose and CPR in the title. NOT FUNNY !!!
                                        I had to scan through everything to make sure that you did not have to give your wife CPR. So in reference to your lovely new Caspian Horse/Pony what does CPR stand for?? You had me hyperventilating at the computer.
                                        BTW, Cyman is lovely and Rose looks happy as well. Glad that things worked out for the best. Still wondering why your pony who was known went from Dr. Jekyl to Mr. Hyde. I wonder if there is something sneaking up on him inside that would require more extensive testing. Not your problem anymore though, and you made the right decision. Congrats on the right path.
                                        Trakehner, I don't think your Shire could care less about the addition of a pony, the question is ( and your Shire wants to know ) How much will that pony swear hauling him around on the carriage when he gives out???
                                        "With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity. "
                                        ...Keshavan Nair

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm sorry Warmheart... the original message got changed through the updates CPR stands for Christmas Pony Replacement

As far as the first pony, I don't know. He was a really nice pony but he developed issues we didn't understand. I think he just really missed his old home. He just wasn't happy with us.

Don

Comment

Working...
                                          X