• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New Driver Needing Cart Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Driver Needing Cart Advice

Hi, I've been "driving" for about a year now. I'm mostly self-taught, but have had lessons here and there. There's a great need for instructors in the area. As I've been learning, I've brought up my Gypsy pony too. Usually this doesn't work out very well for horse and driver, but Extra is a very forgiving and a gentleman of a pony. We're at the level where a good fitting cart is needed. I've been driving him on a Cob sized cart, but the shafts are too long and it's not ideal. I'd like a little advice on what type/wood stain/color cart to get. I'm interested in something I can use for combined driving (dressage and cones) but is still suitable for pleasure classes. Extra is 13 hh, and mostly black. My harness is a breastplate style. I really like the looks of the spindle back road carts. Would this be appropriate? I'm also concerned about what colors would work best with him to give a good turnout. Thanks

Here's a picture of him for reference.

For CDE, you probably should make a of list the "modern" things you want to compete well, which the antique designs won't have. First would be flush hubs, or almost flush, so there is not much sticking out of the wheel. Measurements for cones are wheel width, not widest width. So hubs (antique designs) stick out further, almost 4", and can snag a cone to knock off the ball on a tight turn.

Not sure where you are located. Weather might make a difference, but maybe not, on wheel rubber.

For a cart, I like the square rubber on the wheels. The pointed rubber cuts into the ground more, so can be a harder pull on sand, mud or soft going. Cart tires are narrow anyway, so cutting in is a problem, but for us, the square rubber was a bit more fun to use.

You need to have your vehicle metals match the harness metal, bit color is neutral, not counted in the matching. You might also want to paint the metal, should you find a nice cart, but doesn't match your harness metal. We have painted almost all our brass on the vehicles, so we don't have to polish it, and because our harness all is silver colored metal. I think three vehicles, antiques, still have brass hubcaps, with names visible for observers to read. No brass for us on any CDE stuff.

Using a wedge seat on your cart, can improve your posture while seated. Wedges come in any height you desire, you can even make your own. You can position the wedge to one side or center it, for driving. We added straps around the wedge and bench seat, so it was a solid seat for driving. Your feet need a solid anchor to help hold you in position over various surfaces, torn up pasture, gravel road. So if short legged or wedge raises you too much, a foot rail or rubber topped, wood box, is helpful to keep your feet positioned.

If you are Midwest, there are a lot of Amish who build carts to your design. Spindle backs are pretty easy to make. I want my seat up high enough to see ahead of the animal, not looking at his rump or hocks! Bigger wheels tend to roll easier, especially on rougher ground. Most Driving dressage arenas are NOT the super groomed things that ridden dressage uses, so the vehicle needs to be able to manage that. Foot basket design can get in the way of a big moving pony, so you have to figure shaft length to keep him from hitting on his extended gaits. This, even though you don't want him way out ahead of you.

With a black pony, he can go with almost anything in colors, all shades of green, darker blues, even shiny black, though the dark colors may need a hit of color in your clothing, so you are not drab or run together in darkness from the side of the arena. Some nice pinstriping color can also lighten up a darker vehicle. With the painted vehicles, you tend to be a bit more formal, than the natural colored (country) vehicles are in clothing.

Looking at the Mischka Calendars could help your eyes in seeing what other folks do for vehicles, clothing to go with the equine of choice. Click on Detailed Images at the lower part of screen, which brings up the photos for this years Driving Calendar. Scrolling down, you see a pinto Mini and driver, a dressy lady in a tall cart with a chestnut horse, and the roan pony with child driver, appropriately dressed adult with child, as good examples of show type turnout that would also work well in a CDE setting.

http://www.mischka.com/shop/product....e=1&featured=Y

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much. So do you think a road cart would be a suitable design, or should I look for something else?

Comment

A Road Cart can be fine for the lower levels, doing Dressage, Cones. You will be going at slower speeds in those lower levels, so you can probably manage safely with it on Marathon, if you have nothing else to drive.

However CDE has changed a lot over the years, so what was usable, could let you win, in vehicle design, isn't the best choice anymore. Cones is now a real part of the scoring, you need to put in a bit of speed with your accuracy, so the points from all three sections will come up equally for you. Where you compete can make a difference, some grounds are just rougher turf than other places, so a cart can be a bit harder to ride on that ground. A cart should be stable, with their wider axles than 4-wheelers have. However various carts can have individual issues, like being "too springy" or too tall, that only appear in hard practice or at a competition.

Comment

There are so many different types of carriages and turnouts that you can do. You can google some, you just need to make sure if you go with a country type vehicle (meadowbrook, road cart etc) you also go with the same type of clothing.

Your guy is very cute by the way and reminds me of a cob that I used to drive I had 2 types of turnout with him. One with a phaeton and one with a painted eagle. Here are some pictures of me driving him to the phaeton just to give you some ideas:
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...77317165_n.jpg
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...08199223_n.jpg
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...66588039_n.jpg

I can't seem to find any with the painted eagle right now, but it was also dark blue in colour with yellow wheels. I did not need a groom for it as it was just one seat and I could go alone. I pretty much kept it the same with my turn out. Black ponies are easy to dress up

We also do CDE's and my mother in law had a phaeton custom built from an Amish company in our area. They built it off of a picture of a Kuhnle horse vehicle (and they took a few measurements of one down the road from them) and they just sized it down. They did an amazing job! We added breaks (which we love) and kept the brass. We also added a wedge seat which is really nice. It really keeps you in place compared to the bench seat of the Eagle. I love the look of brass and we do not mind cleaning it. I much prefer it over chrome, but that's just personal preferance. Our harness is also all done in brass. Its a lot of work but looks great once its cleaned

We also have a meadowbrook that was unpainted and my husband drove it with a country type turnout:
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...45149439_n.jpg
          We then painted it and I was able to dress it up a little:
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...53109177_n.jpg
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...76308270_n.jpg
          https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...10764340_n.jpg

I do like driving the meadowbrook as I find it pretty easy to drive. It was the first vehicle that I ever drove and I loved it. But I much prefer driving a 4 wheeled vehicle now...I feel more comfortable and now I find it easier to drive/steer. I have seen a few road carts/gigs roll over on a cones course (some of it due to some hills and some not so careful driving). So if you plan on doing some CDE's keep that in mind.

The calendars are a great source of nice turnouts There are a lot of great books out there as well and check out the ADS (American Driving Society) website as it also has some great info on their site.
          Last edited by DiamondJubilee; Apr. 23, 2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I also meant to say that our meadowbrook was rolled over...twice. Once while at a pleasure show it hit a root and flipped over, and the other time was driver error when he said go left, no right, no left and it turned over. We have the whole thing in several pictures...It was also one of the reasons that the natural carrige was painted.

Comment

For a while it seemed that advanced drivers were required to drive 4-wheel in dressage and cones
              but that has changed and MANY of them have gone back to the 2- wheel
              the advantages of the 2-wheel is first - its considerably cheaper to buy
              it is lighter in over-all weight
              it tracks behind the horse

yes you can flip a 2-wheel but usually if you are going to fast or turning too tight
              and the same can then be said of 4-wheel vehicles

if you can find a Pacific Cart in your size - they have a real following
              we have also been highly recommended to the Frey carts from Colonial Carriage http://www.colonialcarriage.com/cate...2&title=Sprint Driving Carts
              Out East many of the Advanced are driving the Spinner
              http://www.runningbrookfarm.com/html...f_Spinner.html
              or when they were availalble - the Mill Run roadcart
              it is similar to the next roadcart but had front step entry over the shaft and into a basket
              a different type of road cart with rear step entry
              http://www.runningbrookfarm.com/images/photos/stk.jpg

Comment

So much good info! I will let wiser folks give you their opinions, but what a flashy looking pony. Have fun driving him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm really love the looks of everything suggested so far. My only concern with a four wheeled vehicle is the weight. Extra is a little smaller and I was wondering if they would be too heavy? Maybe I'm just babying him too much though. He's such a sweetie I feel guilty when I work him hard.

Here are a few more pics of him. The shafts on the cart he's pulling are too long, but it works for now while he's getting used to pulling a vehicle. I plan to get the new cart in the next month or so.

http://i.imgur.com/rbxg2R5.jpg
                  First time with a passenger (no texting while driving lol)http://i.imgur.com/ubH7h6M.jpg
                  http://i.imgur.com/svynrNC.jpg
                  He grows a mustache in the winter http://i.imgur.com/qcHYo1O.jpg
                  http://i.imgur.com/LIYLsBL.jpg

Comment

Just a suggestion with the current cart - move him further out in the shafts. It is better for him to be further away from the cart than to get poked in the neck with the ends of shafts when he turns.

Christa

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you. I drive with the traces on the last hole now, and the shafts still poke him. We don't practice a lot of turning because of this.

Comment

I agree with Christa P. I have had to do this with some of our ponies the pair are ony 13h but the shafts were cob sized. I put the traces out pretty much as far as they could go so when they turned, the shafts would not poke them in the neck.
                        The pictures of my guys are 13h for the bay welsh and 13.2h for the black cob. For my guys it really depended on the animal as how much they could comfortably pull. The 13h welsh pulled a 400lb marathon carriage (way too heavy for a single pony IMO, but that is what the company told us. They said it was ok for a single 13h pony) plus 2 adults and we did full CDE's (prelim) with him. He pulled more than his body weight and we were quite competitive with him. We did feel bad for him as I'm sure he would keep going until he fell over....So we were either going to sell him (which we could not do) or buy a brother for him to help him out. We now drive them as a pair and the 400lb carriage plus us is easy peasy for them
                        Now the cob who is taller and had over 200lb on the welsh guy, did not like that idea at all. He did not like to work any harder than he had to. He pulled the 400lb phaeton plus 2 passengers on hard ground. Anything else was too hard for him and he would just want to walk. This is why I liked the Eagle for him as it was very light, around 200lb and I did not have to take a passenger. Again, I just like the look and drive of a 4 wheeled vehicle.
                        Of course a 2 wheeled cart would be much lighter. There is nothing wrong with a road cart or a meadowbrook. They are super light and I'm sure your guy will have no problem with that. If you look at a 4 wheeled vehicle, just check out the weight and try to keep it as light as you can. I would suggest around 200lbs. We also just bought a single light 4 wheeled marathon carriage that is meant for small ponies and it weighs 200lbs. Our guys pull it with no problem and I love it

Comment

Originally posted by TheCC View Post
                          Thank you. I drive with the traces on the last hole now, and the shafts still poke him. We don't practice a lot of turning because of this.
                          You can get trace extenders that simply buckle on the end of your current traces to make them longer:

http://www.drivingessentials.com/har...ccessories.php

http://www.chrysalisacres.com/index....products_id=86

Christa

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of this.

Comment

Back in my driving days I was told that it was better/safer to start a driving horse w/ a two wheel cart. I think my mare pulled a two wheel for about three-four years before I switched.
                              We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Working...
                              X