• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Driving Arena Footings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Arena Footings

Hi all!

I am currently in escrow of a beautiful 5 acre property with about 3-4 undeveloped flat acres.

With the remaining acres, I would like to put a full-size driving arena, turn-outs, and a driving track and maybe a round pen. The driving arena is going to double as a riding arena for dressage and jumping.

The land is very fertile and it could easy be a grass field. However, I'm also thinking about other types of footing that could work. Any ideas?

Also, how wide should the track be?

Personally, I find grass ideal. Or very very light sand, nothing deep like you would find in a riding arena.

With my wood wheels, and even with the pneumatic wheels on the mini cart, it gets really hard to move the vehicles in our arena, which is a riding arena, with some deep-ish enough sand, the carts will sink. I love going out on the grass, limestone trail, or the roads. The firmer the better. Grass/compact hard dirt, is ideal, because it is firm enough to make it easier to roll the cart/carriage for the horse's sake, and there is less impact versus something like the pavement.

However, firm footing is not suitable for jumping. You would need more cushion, so you might want to look into not-so-deep sand, rubberized tire footing, or even a combo of the rubber and woodchip that I have seen work well in a multi-use arena. With synthetics, though, if it gets wet, it's going to be slippery. I've really only seen that stuff used in indoors.

Your driving track should be wide enough to get your carriage through and leave enough space that you are comfortable with. Say 7 feet if you want a fair bit of playing room.

My carts are 5 1/2 feet wide, and some of the trails I go through are just that, too. The cart fits, but I scrape the trees some

It works.

Good luck and congratulations on your new property!
    eBook on Amazon - The Beginner's Guide to Buying a Horse
    My Blog - Life in 2014; Horses, Life, Photography

Comment

My recomendation for creating a jog path: use your manure spreader. Mow the grass down real short where you want the path to be, making the path about 8' wide. Then spread your manure along that path and routinely drag it with a drag that has tines that stick down. The manure soon dries out and decomposes and the shaving make a very good jog path.

Comment

40x100 meters is the correct size for an Advanced Level Driven Dressage Arena.
        If you prepare the arena correctly, layer your footing, get good drainage done first, you can use that same space for a great deal of things besides Dressage. It is big enough to lay out a nice jump course, work a couple animals at a time on the flat without getting each other's way. Should you wish to practice ridden Dressage, you just set up the letter markers within the larger space to use. Big enough to use the perimeter and get in some gallop work if you want. You get a lot MORE time doing straight lines, getting horse going squarely in such a large space, not always making the animal bend to make the corners like small spaces do.

Depending on how the acreage is laid out, it is going to disappear quite fast because it is small at 5 acres, and already has a house and barn, maybe other structures or limitations. We have 14 acres and there really isn't much room to be flexible about the pastures and paddocks. We can drive around the fields, but they are not large because I have it cut up pretty well for rotational grazing. I expect our horses to keep fat on grazing, saving us cash by not needing purchased hay fed in summer. I do have gates that allow driving thru the line fences into the adjoining field, so we can do a "driving tour" around the place without having to go back to the barn and use those gates. Same gates are real helpful in mowing, working the land, again saving time going back to the barn to change fields.

My best suggestion is to lay out the land on paper, to scale. Include drainage ditching, buried power, the well, driveways, trees, stuff you need to work with in your final design. Do THINK about how water leaves your place or makes wet places, you will have to fix or work around these seasonal problems. Then make small-to-scale cutouts of house, barn, other structures and place them on the land drawing.

With this laid out, you can make some more cutouts for the arena, round pen, possible driveways or driving lanes on the land. You can see how fence lines could work or not be usable when put "here". You want an efficient layout, so driveways for motorized vehicles need to be adequately sized. Can you get a Fire Truck out to the barn? Is that driveway surface going to SUPPORT such a large and heavy vehicle? Is driveway a straight run and wide? Fire Trucks, Gooseneck trailers, both are often long with no flex for curves or sharp corners. They are WIDER than most cars and often pickup trucks. Can the dirt for arena be delivered to your final location choice and dumped on it? Lot of extra cost to move the piles from driveway to arena over there with a dozer or other machines, instead of just leveling that dirt.

We charted how our water ran off the fields, put drainage ditches around 2 sides with OUR BACKHOE, so the water from rain or runoff of neighbors fields would leave arena area faster. Tiling the arena would have cost money we used in layering the arena footing for that good drainage and excellent footing we wanted. Some parts are 3ft deep! We started with a shallow layer of sandy dirt on the top, though it has shifted some over the years. Husband is a Farrier, does NOT WANT a real soft and deep top layer to work horses on. He wants a firmer, solid layer under the top sand, so horse has a bit of cushion to land on, but hooves grab and grip that firm layer to then push off from and take the next stride. Doesn't give when they need firm grip for whatever effort horse is working on.

He sees the problems with deep footing, soft footing, no firm layer to land on and grip, deals with the horses who develop problems working in those kind of rings or arenas. Horses are not MADE to go in deep footing ALL the time. Causes fatigue quickly, and then moves into interference and soft tissue injuries.

Our arena is 30x90 meters, just didn't have QUITE enough space for the full size, but it is SO USABLE for a variety of things ridden and driven. It has a width of plain ground beside the prepared fill, which grows grass, letting me use this paddock as my sacrifice area, an extra grazing field for the horse rotations. We have no arena fence, just railroad ties as edges. Makes it very open, horses are not using the fence as a crutch during their work. Rider or Driver has to be steering or they DO LEAVE the arena! We think no fence makes animals more FORWARD, not always slowing as they come to the fence or guessing which way we want them to go. As I said, there are drainage ditches on 2 sides, close to the paddock perimeter fence, but fence is 8ft away from arena edge.

Over the years, the center areas of the arena have sprouted grass and a variety of weeds. I mow it, but we leave the green things because they keep the sand down and are dust control in ring use. Horses graze it when they are using the paddock as a field. It is really TOUGH grass, all self-seeded and came through the drought last year just fine, green the whole time. You can gallop on it, wet muddy like now, dry in summer, shod horses don't tear it up at all. LOOKS nice to folks going by on the road! Like we "take care" of it even!!

So in talking to your Arena builder, talk layers of fill. You want coarse fill at the bottom, then firmer layers until the top of a soft layer that is SHALLOW. Not more than a couple inches deep. You want good drainage in an arena, maybe your land has already got a little rise on an end or side to aid water removal, so that location is a better choice than another location you will need to groom more for arena building.

We have a round pen, built solidly of railroad tie posts, with a higher, wide board fence for our tall horses. They CAN see other things, have to work obediently anyway! We don't use it much, though it is handy when we need it. I have a seasonal paddock, which is where we located the round pen. That area gets real wet in rainy times, still a bit damp ground MOST of the summer, and pretty small. We added quite a bit of fill as round pen footing, so pen is above the surrounding dirt, drains pretty well. I don't think I consider a round pen as "essential" to a horse farm. Not sure if you train for others, do a lot of younger animals, to get plenty of use from such a pen. Perhaps getting one of the better quality, higher panel height, 60ft across, models could work for you. Put pen up when you need it, put it away when not needed. That way round pen is not taking up space ALL the time, which you can then use for other things.

Comment

Working...
        X