• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

what an awesome team of ponies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what an awesome team of ponies!

So nimble and quick and game! The angry glances of the whip to the navigator is pretty funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEA5...em-uploademail
    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

LOVE the ponies... Carriage sure took a beating though didnt it! Seeing how quick and tight these ponies can turn, it amazes me to think of the warmbloods fitting in these turns! I dont think i could manage a team of 4... I do want to do pairs one day though!
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

Comment

i'm impressed the driver remembered the pattern-!

but yes, awesome!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry.

Comment

That's CRAZY!!!
        Alis volat propriis.

Comment

They are indeed very fast and with them, Bram won the World Championship in Slovenia last year.

On the top step was my son, Jacob Arnold, who is in Holland now working with the Chardons. Jacob reports that Bram's "looks" weren't in anger, but just to check if the navigators were still on-board! The left front wheel hit the obstacle very, very hard.

(they also won this show, Lahden)

Mike Arnold
          DrivingNews USA

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by butlerfamilyzoo View Post
            Seeing how quick and tight these ponies can turn, it amazes me to think of the warmbloods fitting in these turns!
            I know the ponies had to be nimble just to make it through, full size (+) horses must have zero wiggle room.

Love the little grey maned leader though, so brave and obedient! "follow me chaps!" he seems to want to lead the whole group the whole way though!

Originally posted by DrivingNewsUSA View Post
            They are indeed very fast and with them, Bram won the World Championship in Slovenia last year.

On the top step was my son, Jacob Arnold, who is in Holland now working with the Chardons. Jacob reports that Bram's "looks" weren't in anger, but just to check if the navigators were still on-board! The left front wheel hit the obstacle very, very hard.

(they also won this show, Lahden)
            Wow, congratulations to Bram and your son! And thank you for the clarification, Bram was very vocal during some of the glances and it looked like a 'hey! whats doing!?!" but yes that carriage did rub a bit hard I could certainly see one of the navigators getting bounced off. Good of him to be so mindful of his team members.

Thank you so much for sharing!
            Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

That looks like so much fun, it's sick!

I want to try !!!
              eBook on Amazon - The Beginner's Guide to Buying a Horse
              My Blog - Life in 2014; Horses, Life, Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca View Post
                That looks like so much fun, it's sick!

I want to try !!!
                More fun than you can stand! Do you drive? If not, its probably better to start with just one. Depending on where you live, perhaps I could help you get on a carriage somewhere to give it a try.

Mike Arnold
                DrivingNews USA
                http://drivingnews.us

Comment

D'OH!

I just spent 8 days in Holland & if I'd known this was going on I'd have coerced my Dutch friends into getting me there to see it.

Oh well, maybe next year?

Mike - congrats to your son

& I am hijacking this thread to ask if you know of any trainers in NW Indiana.

I'm looking for someone teaching basics with a view to driven dressage.

I have a Hackney pony sitting around getting fat because I can't seem to find anyone to help me (total Newb driver) get him hitched.
                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by DrivingNewsUSA View Post
                    More fun than you can stand! Do you drive? If not, its probably better to start with just one. Depending on where you live, perhaps I could help you get on a carriage somewhere to give it a try.

Mike Arnold
                    DrivingNews USA
                    http://drivingnews.us

Thanks Mike. For the chance to drive a 4 in hand, I'd come to you! lol.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to attend the ADS meeting just to try out driving a team pair for the lesson segment being offered on Sunday.

I do drive. I have a variety pack of critters in every size. lol! I really want to learn to drive a team and eventually (in my dreams) a 4 in hand. Right now, the closest thing I have to it is a tandem of minis.

www.youtube.com/user/yautjakshai

www.kshai1715.wordpress.com
                    Life in 2012; Horses, Life, Photography
                    eBook on Amazon - The Beginner's Guide to Buying a Horse
                    My Blog - Life in 2014; Horses, Life, Photography

Comment

How AWESOME!!! That looks like so much fun! And those ponies are moving FAST!!!!! Wow!

Comment

That was a blast to watch. Were those ponies competing against horses?
                        In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

I am in awe of anyone driving anything. But those ponies are marvelous!

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
                            D'OH!

I have a Hackney pony sitting around getting fat because I can't seem to find anyone to help me (total Newb driver) get him hitched.
                            Oh boy, get him (and yourself) going, hackneys are so much fun. That said, they have big motors, are very quick and very smart and you will need to know what your doing. If you push this guy too soon and too quick you'll be driving a Maserati with no steering or brakes.

Comment

I don't drive an haven't since I was a kid (well ut only counts as drivig if you count the times my friend and I would harness her demonish shetland pony and the two of us would cross country ski behind him as driving. It worked well because usually one of us would stay on our feet to stop pony when the other fell.)

This looks like fun and I will have to try it when I get back into horses (DH in med school means no money for horses).

That background is in case I sound judgy. I dont mean to, I just truly don't understand. Perhaps it is the quality of the video (my screen needs an upgrade and I will watch again from a better screen) but it looked like he was really YANKING on the reins a lot. That plus the yelling seemed harsh from what I saw.

Is this because the distance from te ponies negates some of the force? Or is he not yanking and it was my poor video quality? I saw another one recently with lots of what looked like yanking and loud shots. Horses appeared happy but it surprised me. I have never been a teller expect during extreme naughty moments. Is the yelling for the horses sake, so they can hear directions over the crowd?

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm far from experienced, but I didn't see any yanking at all, I thought he drove the team very smoothly.

I can see how the big arm gestures might appear deceiving however due to the amount of rein he has to take up and then give as the team stretches out for the straightaways and then compresses around the turns. Its a lot of rein to keep managed with not a lot of space or time to do it, so surely it looks odd.

I also didn't think he was particularly loud or harsh, but again you have to remember he has to keep control of 4 equines, moving as fast as they can, in tight quarters, smoothly, from a remote location in an exciting atmosphere. Thats a LOT. All 4 have to do their jobs and not be distracted, using your voice to keep them working as a team and focused is very valuable.

When I drive my horse and for whatever reason he is potentially loosing focus, I make my voice as loud as needed to override external stimulus and keep his mind on his task.

Comment

Wow, that is impressive.

Originally posted by charismaryllis View Post
                                  i'm impressed the driver remembered the pattern-!
                                  Me too. Totally thinking that same thing while I watched.

Comment

yee ha!!!! athletic people hanging on to the back of the cart too!

Comment

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
                                      I'm far from experienced, but I didn't see any yanking at all, I thought he drove the team very smoothly.

I can see how the big arm gestures might appear deceiving however due to the amount of rein he has to take up and then give as the team stretches out for the straightaways and then compresses around the turns. Its a lot of rein to keep managed with not a lot of space or time to do it, so surely it looks odd.

I also didn't think he was particularly loud or harsh, but again you have to remember he has to keep control of 4 equines, moving as fast as they can, in tight quarters, smoothly, from a remote location in an exciting atmosphere. Thats a LOT. All 4 have to do their jobs and not be distracted, using your voice to keep them working as a team and focused is very valuable.

When I drive my horse and for whatever reason he is potentially loosing focus, I make my voice as loud as needed to override external stimulus and keep his mind on his task.
                                      Okay, after watching it on a big screen multiple times I can see he wasn't rough. I couldn't see the lines on my smart phone so I saw his big arm movements and it looked like yanking. Watching it full screen I could see the sharp arm movements were forward (to shorten/adjust rein I assume?) and backwards he was SO steady and smooth. I was impressed at that control at those speeds with those turns. I did see one yank... when he was thrown sideways once. I would have been tossed so that is understandable!

The 'shouting' was much quieter when I watched it again. The speakers on my phone seemed to pick that up and I could tell it wasn't screaming or shouting (like I've heard plenty of riders do) but commands. I also remembered when I would ride one and pony four or five when working at a dude ranch... I'd yell if they weren't paying attention or were thinking of naughtiness. The ones at the back of your group were out of arm reach and had to be voice/lead controlled. And on trails I'd use voice commands for the line horses since some riders didn't listen.

I won't lie, once I could see the thing well I watched it several times. He is amazing. I want to do that. Well, maybe not with four. Give me one or two (can one pony do that with a person or would it need to be two?) and I'd love it. Do all the competitions require multiple people on the cart? What are they called?

Comment

For those of you in the US who want to see one of these events a little closer to home come to Live Oak (Ocala) end of March next year. They have a beautiful course and lots of competitors all sizes and shapes. Great to watch these, but it truly takes some guts to do it at the speed these go...
                                        I also loved the dark maned lead; what a hard working little bugger!
                                        We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Working...
                                        X