Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Aachen accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aachen accident

Thank Goodness..apart from a serious facial injury to the groom, horses, Boyd and the general public have had a lucky escape at Aache CHIO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6tF9MiHqY
    www.australiancolouredperformancehorses.com.au

Wow, amazing none of the spectators were hurt.

Comment

That could have been SO terrible. I can't even watch it a second time. So scary. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
      "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Wow! That brave soul who finally helped bring the horses under control is either very brave or very crazy! He deserves a medal! Glad no one got seriously hurt.
        When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Comment

Thanks for the link. What a mess.

I do believe the horse grabber was crazy. Did a good deed, but could easily have gone the other way for him. His managing to hold onto the rein, then pulled back onto his feet is all that kept him from getting run over by the whole team and carriage!! Inches or less, to be hero or victim!!

Glad the horses were ready to stop, looking for some human direction and maybe a bit tired, all helped out.

What rotten luck for Boyd. Can anyone detect if he was wearing a seatbelt? I didn't see anything fly loose, as he rolled off. Only one end is supposed to be firmly anchored according to the rules, while the free end is held by Navigator or groom. No one firmly tied into their seat in case of accidents. We use such a seatbelt for Husband when he competes. Has kept him seated on some very rough ground, when he has no hands to hold on with. He agreed after ending up on the dashboard at an unexpected halt, hands full of reins. Horses stayed halted on the voice, since obviously reins were useless from the floor!! We have some great horses!!

I like watching Boyd drive, have seen other clips posted. We met him at Gladstone when he came to the World Pairs competition there way back. He had his goals firmly in mind at that time. He was working towards what he is doing now, Teams and world class competitons.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonLearned View Post
            Wow! That brave soul who finally helped bring the horses under control is either very brave or very crazy! He deserves a medal! Glad no one got seriously hurt.
            seconded what a brave fellow sometimes we humans act without thinking or act to stop others getting hurt what a great horseman he was to have hold on like that
            well done to him

Comment

wow, that guy is a hero, kudos to him

Comment

WHOOPS!!

Very well stopped too!

Comment

That brave soul who finally helped bring the horses under control is either very brave or very crazy! He deserves a medal! Glad no one got seriously hurt.
                  AMEN!
                  Pao Lin

Comment

AMAZING CATCH! But very fool hardy! 8-O
                    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Originally posted by summerhorse View Post
                      AMAZING CATCH! But very fool hardy! 8-O
                      Thank God there are a few hardy fools in this world!
                      Uncle Fester

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

What a frightening video. Amazing that it turned out as well as it did (thoughts and prayers with the injured groom - no fun to be the "one person" ).

My question: it seems that the consensus is that the fellow who caught the team was taking quite the risk. What is the appropriate response in a situation like that? Just keep yourself out of trouble until the team stops on their own? I can't imagine that I would ever leap out and grab the straps of a team racing by, but it would be helpful to know what experienced people recommend.
                        Chronicles of the $700 Pony
                        The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
                        www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

Comment

From another list I heard that the fellow who stopped them is a 4-in-hand pony driver - so obviously he had some idea of what he was doing. I can't imagine the damage that could have been done had they not been stopped.

It looked to me like the left leader was the one inciting the others to run - the other 3 appeared to just be along for the ride. Grabbing the off leader seemed much more prudent to me
                          Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

PnP Distributors - KUTZMANN Carriages
                          Ashemont2@gmail.com

Comment

I thought it looked like the guy who caught the rein did a great job.

Fortunately the carriage stayed upright on its wheels and the horses weren't in a blind panic at all. Indeed throughout they were at a nice steady canter but just didn't have a clue where they were heading.

I personally never wear a belt. Personally speaking I'm not convinced that its that effective just to have a belt that a groom holds to rely on to keep you in the carriage.

He was clearly sitting way too casually and just the slightest knock totally unbalanced him so he plopped out too easily. It looks to me like the groom was indeed holding onto something though its clear that no groom holding a bit of rope or webbing could have done anything to hold him in. Indeed both leant over to try to grab him which threw the carriage further off balance.

Comment

What happened?

What was the initial cause of the accident?does that sort of thing happen often?
                              breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Looks like neither he nor the grooms were concentrating and as he entered he clipped the hazard with the offside rear wheel. Because he was sitting casually like he was out for a pleasure drive and tilted sideways with one leg braced, when the carriage moved over he just fell out the way he was leaning anyway.

It happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rY_8...eature=related

whoops!!!

Remember that Horse Driving Trials (CDE to you) is the driving equivalent of Ridden Horse Trials or Eventing.

The cross country or marathon phase is supposed to be a test of bravery, agility, speed, fitness. Hence its the "risky" or thrills and spills exciting bit of the event.
                                Last edited by Thomas_1; Jul. 12, 2008, 12:39 PM.

Comment

wow!

incredible.
                                  i watched that second video posted by thomas_1 with my mouth wide open. i just decided that at some point in my life i'm going to learn driving. my head was spinning from that carriage going in and out in and out of those obstacles.
                                  amazing!
                                  http://www.eponashoe.com/
                                  TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Boyd is basically one of the best drivers in the world.. when you consider how he comes fro Australia, a country with no history and minimal if any financial backing for the sport, its pretty amazing. And for him , last year to have been NUMBER 1 in the world is extraordinary. I am curious as to if the reason he was unseated 'easily' may be to do with that very major fractures in the leg he got which ruled him out of WC or WEG last year, when he was favourite to medal?.. maybe he was protecting it?.. he certainly was hobbling dramatically when he was running after them!
                                    www.australiancolouredperformancehorses.com.au

Comment

Thought of that video yesterday afternoon while at a local fun event where we live. While standing with my Percheron mare and waiting for our turn at the log pull obstacle course, I know this isn't driving, an older gentleman brought his team of I believe haflingers from the course. He had just unhitched the log when for some unknown reason, the team started to panic. They kept circling, the owner not letting go of his lines, the horses bumping into one another, kicking out, spinning around while everyone looked on. My husband had the peace of mind to unhitch Smoke from the log when just as he got the other side of my singletree off the team came around and knocked into her before spinning away.

My mare stood like a rock, the only thing she did was tuck her tail and hind legs but she never moved, never startled or bolted. The double tree on the team did get her on the left hind but we went over her legs and thank goodness there was no damage and finished our class, placing a nice 2nd place.

No one is really sure why the team reacted so suddenly, I am wondering if it could of been because the double tree was clanking and hitting the animals on the back of the legs or the hooves and it spooked them. It all happened so fast, no one is really sure but it sure pays to stay alert and watch what is going on around you.

Comment

In fact Boyd competed way back and from being a child.

He was competing in pairs when he was a teenager and certainly from about aged 15/16.

He was a member of the Australian team in his 20's and had sponsorship and financial support very early on and long before he came to live in England.

Comment

Working...
                                        X