• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

National Drive Lexington?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Drive Lexington?

This has probably been brought up before, and I apologize if it has.

I am just wondering about the National Drive at the KHP? Has anyone gone? Is there a lot of people attending and bringing their horses?

I'd like to go, probably not this year, but maybe next year, and am just wondering if it is a) fun b) educational c) worthwhile with the cost of hauling 2 horses, 2 cars, 2 trailers, and 2 meadowbrooks 400 miles? lol.

I have checked out their website, and looked through their photo albums, but to be honest, I just see the same few photos with the same few horses in it. I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people?

I think it would be fun to go even if just to drive around the KHP with the hackney and my QH, but it is a lot of time/money/effort involved to stay 2-3 days if there's not "that much" going on? Although the drive/breakfast thingie on Sunday morning sounds nice

Thanks !
    eBook on Amazon - The Beginner's Guide to Buying a Horse
    My Blog - Life in 2014; Horses, Life, Photography

This year it's timed at the same time as a CDE, so potentially, i think that could be cool to go watch the goings on when i'm not out driving. I've never been, but i know people who have, and i know it's more than 6 horses going! Much more, dont know the actual number, but it grows every year, and the ones i know that have gone have loved every minute of it. One of them went the first year without horses, met people, and drove out with them instead. She lurks on this board, so maybe she'll come out and talk about it.

I REALLY wanted to go this year. But with my mare's injury, she's not gonna make it, and i hate to go with just my mini, that kinda leaves my husband out of the fun unless he makes friends to give him rides, and my mini cant keep up with big horses for too long. I'm shooting for next year, but we have a move in August next year, to who knows what state, so if we get sent out west, it's probably gonna be a no go if i'm too far away.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

Comment

The website must not have many photos. It's a big event! I hauled my two ponies up there in 2006 and had a blast driving all over the Park and in the arenas, attending clinics, visiting the KHP attractions and meeting lots of great people. There were about 200 turnouts there (that was the second annual Drive) so I imagine it's gotten even bigger since then. We had a strong COTH drivers group back then and several of them attended the Drive. Much fun was had by all. I'll be there this year but without my ponies. It's pretty easy to catch-ride with folks so that's what I'll be doing. My trainer and friend Bob Giles will be there and I'll probably help him out with the many things he'll be doing. We're also having our annual Haflinger owners get-together at the same time so I'm expecting double the fun this year.

Comment

WHAT!

I have checked out their website, and looked through their photo albums, but to be honest, I just see the same few photos with the same few horses in it. I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people

What event do you know of that post pics of all individuals planning on attending event? Obviously, you've never attended an event at KHP or any other large venue before! Better for you to get the facts and not count on your impressions. That's just a stupid statement. End of story....
        Earthdogs, you gotta dig 'em!

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, Centeur;

Why all the attitude. Totally uncalled for response to a simple question.

No, I have only been to the KHP once and that was over 10 years ago and there was no event going on. I don't live in Lexington, as you do according to your profile. I have always over 400 miles from there, so I don't really get to run down there for every event they hold so I can be as cocky and familiar with the place as you.

I have been to large venues before, and yes, matter of factly, I have seen much more well done websites with many more pictures that have enticed me to go. If it's something close by, I'll just go, information or not, but when it's massive adventure that going to cost me severa hundred or more dollars to do, I would like to have much infomation as possible.

Sorry if you think it's dumb of me to find out as much information as I can, but basically, I think it's stupid to think it's stupid for someone to ask questions about something they've never been to before.

Just because this is online and I don't know you and you don't know me doesn't mean you have the right to attack somebody for asking a f**king question. There is absolutely no reason for people to get so pissy, and if that's your attitude on life, you really need some help.
          eBook on Amazon - The Beginner's Guide to Buying a Horse
          My Blog - Life in 2014; Horses, Life, Photography

Comment

Wow Centeur, harsh response to honest questions!

I have heard nothing but great things about the National Drive!
            Kanoe Godby
            www.dyrkgodby.com
            See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Comment

I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people?

Firstly, thanks for sending me that potty mouth e-mail. Know that I am forwarding on to administrator.

The website clearly states, 'The Drive has come to be viewed as the largest single gathering of recreational equine drivers on the continent.' Really. 6 horses.

Thirdly, why don't you contact them and ask your questions.

Lastly, you mentioned in your nasty email, 'I AM SO !*%&@#& SICK AND TIRED OF COMING HERE AND ASKING A QUESTION AND GETTING BERATED BY STUCK UP, NASTY NEGATIVE KNOW IT ALL c*$#&.' Maybe you've been misunderstood before? Hmm. This is a public forum but you are still responsible for your words. And, you can be held legally responsible for communications, i.e., e-mail.

Carry on...
              Earthdogs, you gotta dig 'em!

Comment

What happened to good old Kentucky southern charm?

Comment

Seriously. Lighten up, Centeur.
                  Last edited by Ginger; Jul. 26, 2011, 05:02 PM. Reason: I do know you

Comment

Never ask a simple question! You could be labled as stupid by some know-it-all with a lousy attitude.

sheesh!
                    Pao Lin

Comment

To Centaur

Remind me when the time comes I'm NOT to take up driving. I'm too ignorant, and would hate to be squashed by such an expert whilst trying to learn.

Comment

The National Drive is indeed a LARGE event. I have visited but never participated (yet!) and it's very interesting to look at all the different horse breeds represented as well as all the turnouts.

The one thing that you need to know is that there is no "driving knowledge test" that is required to participate, so you might see a few things that will make you . But in general, there is a LOT of camaraderie and a LOT of support.

While you are in town, try and visit some of our other attractions. I drag all my visitors to Keeneland, and you don't have to go far to be in the heart of some of the most beautiful farms in the country.
                        "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Originally posted by poniesinthenight View Post
                          Remind me when the time comes I'm NOT to take up driving. I'm too ignorant, and would hate to be squashed by such an expert whilst trying to learn.
                          Please reconsider. One sour grape doesn't mean the whole vine is rotten. I've met the most wonderful people through driving. Generous and oh-so-patient!
                          "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Actually I completely agree with Hitchin.. Driving folks are unbelieveably (sic) giving, always offering to lend a hand, give up a day to help and have great patience with newbies.

Good news to hear about the national drive being so fun.. I want to go sometime soon.
                            Pao Lin

Comment

Originally posted by paohatch View Post
                              Actually I completely agree with Hitchin.. Driving folks are unbelieveably (sic) giving, always offering to lend a hand, give up a day to help and have great patience with newbies.

Good news to hear about the national drive being so fun.. I want to go sometime soon.
                              It has been some years since I was at a driving competition, but one thing I always noticed - At a H/J show if there was a divot or something that might effect your performance (not effect the horse's wellbeing) the H/J folks would keep it a secret - the driving folks would make everyone competing aware. Always a sportsman's sense of competition with the driving people.
                              http://STA551.com
                              845-363-1875

Comment

Please come to the National Drive!

Yes, Centaur, lighten up. I live in the Bluegrass also and am appalled at your snarkiness to poor old Chewy!

So, Chewy, the National Drive is alot of fun (I have been 4 times) and has lots of educational opportunities. As someone else pointed out it is also running concurrently with the CDE this year so it will be more fun than ever.

The Park is a great place to drive and the organizers always lay out some wonderful trails to drive and have "fun" drives throughout the event.

The people (with some, ahem, exceptions) are all friendly and helpful. It is WELL worth the time, expense and effort.

So come and enjoy yourself. Look me up and I will give you a guided tour of the Bluegrass myself (I have a pair of ponies, a grey and a roan so I am easy to spot).

Comment

Almost forgot....

The Mimosa Drive on Sunday morning is the best. Makes you feel like you've gone back in time and the Mimosa's are, of course, wonderful.

Comment

I started going a number of years ago with my driving friend. I did not drive so would take one of my riding horses. After hanging around for a number of years, and handling the reins a "few" times, I decided to take a couple ponies last year to the National Drive in Indiana. (I had them started in harness before we went!) Long story short, I am now hooked. I'm preparing for my 3rd CDE coming soon! I love it:-) Of course the horse park is fab.. One of my favorite eventing venues. This is an especially great year to go, to watch the CDE on Sat. and Sunday.

Comment

National Drive and the Mid-Atlantic Drive at Fair Hill, MD'

I guess the Mid Atlantic ADS drive at Fair Hill in a few weeks is trying to emulate the National Drive. I'm going for the first time to the Mid-Atlantic Drive and will judge the activities and such, perhaps if your close, you should come to that too?
                                      Pao Lin

Comment

Going to the National Drive!!!!!!!

I am mailing in the paperwork today. There are 3 of us coming from my barn in Ontario for the National Drive. It is gonna be great fun. We will be arriving Monday and leaving Friday, as there are things etc going on at home, but better part of the time, then none. I will be driving a dark brown/white Paint mare put to a Cross-country Meadowbrook.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow COTHers and catching up with ones I have met in the past. Just looked back at the thread and RAH, will see you there and take you for a ride!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X