• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much can a mini pull??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can a mini pull??

Ok this may be a dumb question but how do you work out what the ideal weight is for a horse to pull. Riding they generally say 20% of the horses body weight (as a rough guide). Is there such a guide to what a horse can pull?

If not what would you say the max weight would be for an avg mini?
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

The rule of thumb for a horse in draft is 15 to 20 percent of the horses weight in draft for and all day effort. That isn't the load weighing 20% of the horse but the force exerted on the tugs being 20% of the horses weight. Horses are capable of much more for short periods of time.
    Lostfarming in Idaho
    http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...etPleasure.jpg

Comment

Appreciate though that the above is just a rule of thumb.

Its also dependent on how fit the horse is, that its correctly harnessed with traces and collar at optimum height for the work its doing and the vehicle its harnessed to. And also what breed it is: e.g. shetland ponies are stronger (in terms of weight bearing and pulling) in porportion to their body weight than say a thoroughbred horse.

Other thing is that in truth a "mini" isn't really going to be pulling at all other than when its in draft and so such as when first sets off or is going up hill. Most times the light harness horse is "floating" or in the neutral position between its collar and britching. And unless you're working such as an agricultural harness horse, you don't want it "pulling" much at all.

Comment

You have to take in account how deep the going is, how rough the ground is, how big the wheels are, and so on and so on.
        Very roughly speaking, we don't like for a horse to have more than it's weight behind them. So if the mini weighs 250#, your carriage and driver shouldn't weigh any more than that as a max on flat ground. When you change one of the dimensions, like adding hills or sand, you change the equation. Then you can shorten the time, increase the fittness, etc, etc, etc.
        My pony weighs 1000lbs and with the carriage, me and a gator, she is pulling about 650-700lbs up and down the mountains. That is a max as far as I'm concerned for her even when she is very fit.

Comment

I should clarify. The 15% to 20% is the old horse farming rules for pulling an implement all day. Thomas is correct about a carriage horse spending most of the time in the neutral position. For short burst the horse is capable of much more. A large wheeled wagon on hard surface a horse could pull a huge weight but stopping it would be the problem.

I know of an old horse that was used in the train yard to move loaded cars. That old horse would tighten everything up and just lean into the load until it started rolling. He was moving cars loaded with grain. LF
          Lostfarming in Idaho
          http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t...etPleasure.jpg

Comment

LOL pricestory you have one stocky pony! My 16 hand Half-Arabian only weighs about 900 pounds according to the weight tape, he's all legs.

Comment

Originally posted by pricestory View Post
              My pony weighs 1000lbs .
              That's a heck of a porker for a pony! Did you type it wrongly?

Comment

Don't want to change the subject, but the free scales at the last two National Drives changed my whole perception of horse weight and weight tapes. Sparrow "taped" at 970 pounds -- but she tipped the scales at 1130. I bought a new tape and she taped at 980. Fairy Luna, erstwhile neglect poster child, tapes at 900 at 13h3", so I'm thinking she's easily closing in on 1000. Once upon a time I would have thought 1000 pounds was heavy for a pony, but it no longer seems heavy for a cobby pony.

Comment

WEll there is a longer formula that I have seen in equine science textbooks that uses the horses heartgirth and his blanket sizeto more accuratly estimate his weight, does anyone have that handy?

Comment

Nevermind, I found it, it is:
                    Measure girth in inches
                    Measure length in inches (point of hip to point of chest)
                    Multiply Girth X Girth X Length, Divide by 300, Add 50
                    Example 70" x 70" x 65" = 318,500 / 300 = 1061.67 + 50 = 1111.67 lbs.
                    This formula is accurate to +/- 3%.

Comment

the little formula on Rural Heritage is pretty good

Alex is 15.2 and a drafty perchxTB and clocks in at 1400lb
                      Cooper is somewhat taller (at least 15.3 and we arent measuring again) but not so drafty and is closer to 1300lb

we have friends with a haffie pony that is easily 1000-1100lb

My old 15.2H Hackney horse was a good 1200lb

Comment

Ok, she's on a diet and she keeps telling me, muscle weighs more than fat, VBG.
                        Actually with a tape she is 900, with a scale 1000. She is a very cobby Morgan and she is fat and on a diet, really. Beep and suppliments, soaked hay.
                        But we were talking about a mini, remember (ducking and running and changing the subject, again)

Comment

Back on the subject of weights they can PULL...

It is often said that a horse on marathon will be pulling 50% of their body weight while the minis are generally pulling 100-150% of their weight. At least for the mini side of the equation I have found that to be true. I only weigh about 100lbs but with me and a 110lb cart that's already 210lbs and my very slight mini weighs 220lbs according to the vet's VERY accurate scale. (It gets me at exactly 98lbs, which is what my dr's office scale says I weigh.) Add a spares box, camera case, a water bottle, maybe a picnic lunch, and he's at 100% of his weight for the entire duration of his effort. And that's with a very light person! If I bring a fairly light passenger like my mom he's hauling 330lbs. Frankly I think that's too much for him on anything but flat pavement for short amounts of time but he does it quite willingly. Other minis of the same height are built much more stoutly and can pull the same amount of weight with ease. I know it's true, I've driven them!

What everyone has said about the other factors involved is absolutely correct. Condition, harnessing, footing, size of the wheels, all of those have tremendous impact. A mini in a neck collar with low draft can pull a lot more than one in a breastcollar. I agree that ideally the horse should not be in draft most of the time but the fact is a lot of the time they are. Any time they are in an arena, on soft turf, loose gravel, heck, just about anywhere except pavement or packed dirt they will be pulling. It's the price you pay for small wheels and a lot of weight.

Leia
                          Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by MySparrow View Post
                            Don't want to change the subject, but the free scales at the last two National Drives changed my whole perception of horse weight and weight tapes. Sparrow "taped" at 970 pounds -- but she tipped the scales at 1130. I bought a new tape and she taped at 980. Fairy Luna, erstwhile neglect poster child, tapes at 900 at 13h3", so I'm thinking she's easily closing in on 1000. Once upon a time I would have thought 1000 pounds was heavy for a pony, but it no longer seems heavy for a cobby pony.
                            Are you sure you're using the right weight tape?

You do know that a pony and horse weight tapes are different?

Comment

I'll look at my tapes when I go to the barn this evening but I have never heard of a horse tape or pony tape. I think they all here are the same thing. I know mine goes from pony size to horse size for sure. Can't wait to see.

Comment

No they're different.

You might find this of interest:

http://www.ilph.org/mediacentre/right_weight/high.html

Comment

My weight tape does not say horse or pony. One side is the weights, the other is heights.
                                  I did watch the video and her discription of how to use the tape is different than what I was taught. Her scoring system is also different as we use a 9 pt. scale. But it was interesting and I liked what I was hearing.
                                  Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys that was incredibly informative
                                    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Renae View Post
                                      Nevermind, I found it, it is:
                                      Measure girth in inches
                                      Measure length in inches (point of hip to point of chest)
                                      Multiply Girth X Girth X Length, Divide by 300, Add 50
                                      Example 70" x 70" x 65" = 318,500 / 300 = 1061.67 + 50 = 1111.67 lbs.
                                      This formula is accurate to +/- 3%.
                                      Just curious, in measuring this horse. Point of hip, to point of chest. Would that be the point of hip, beside the flank? I also am not familiar with point of chest, but am familiar with point of shoulder. I guess I don't know WHERE the point of chest would be. The two points just seem like a very odd place to measure.

Would one measurment possibly be the blanket length, center of chest to point of rump? Along with the girth measurement, worked by your formula, to come up with the weight?

The Rural Heritage measurements don't work for my horses. Their girth and length sizes put into that formula, make them weigh 1796#s!! They are big, but NOT HUGE! They just can't weigh that much.

Something I have noticed on our horses, is that the body length, is usually equal to the girth, on the last 10 I measured. It was noticable because it made them so much easier to remember for sizing harness and blankets.

The old horse we no longer have, had very odd proportions. She was fun to bring out, have folks guess her sizes, mouth, head from lip to lip, girth, height, body length, shoe sizes. They NEVER got more than the height correct. She was very evenly proportioned, went together well. Yet she measured a lot bigger in most places than folks would EVER think she was. She was the demo lesson, for learning to fit tack, bits, saddles, on your Pony Club animal. Showed the NEED for a tape measure, not guessing by breed. Taught some folks that TBs, don't ALL wear 4.5" bits, just because they have a refined head. Their TB was much bigger than this little horse and was VERY HAPPY to FINALLY get a bit that fit her mouth comfortably.

Comment

insomnia

Hey I wanted to really know so last summer I stumbled across a platform scale for sale and bought it. Tapes and looks can definately fool you. Our chunky 12.2 pony actually weighs around 850 pounds while our shire X TB mare who looks enormous weighs 1500. She certainly looks like she should weigh double what the pony weighs. I was also shocked that Caspian pony that Annie plays with from time to time is the heaviest Caspian in the herd. He always looks a little weedy to me and my guess had him 20% below his actual weight.

Haul 'em down to the feed mill and put 'em on the scale.

Comment

Working...
                                        X