Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Update #3-I Doed It! 😁Marathon Volunteer 😳

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2DogsFarm
    started a topic *Update #3-I Doed It! 😁Marathon Volunteer 😳

*Update #3-I Doed It! 😁Marathon Volunteer 😳

Back in business, I can do a later arrival!

😥Looks like a No Go
    No reply to my Monday email asking for an alternative start time (for me not the event!)
    So I sent another this morning apologizing, but advising I can't do the job 😕

I will be volunteering on the Marathon course at a CDE (Hoosier Horse Pk 9/21-22).
    I have volunteered a couple times, but both times were on Cones.

So, Pretty Please, experienced COTH CDEers, give me an outline of what is expected for Marathon. 🙏
    They treat volunteers like Royalty & I expect they will have info for me, but anything I can learn in advance will be appreciated.

And....
    If you happen to be competing or attending, I'd love a COTH IRL GTG 😁
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Sep. 20, 2019, 03:51 PM.

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    goodhors Of all the disciplines I've volunteered with, Eventers & CDE drivers are the friendliest & always thank the volunteers. 👍

Leave a comment:

• goodhors
    replied
    So nice to hear everything fell into place for your first Volunteer effort! Sounds like a great time for you. I am sure Competitors were glad you came!!

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Thanks Zu Zu & skydy If only this venue was closer....

On the Plus Side: I met a gal who runs an ADS Pleasure show in WI - half the distance of Villa Louis.
    Guess where Bugs & I are going next year 😁

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Well done! I'm so glad you had such fun!

Leave a comment:

• Zu Zu
    replied
    Glad it all worked out and you had fun !!!!

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Gotcha

Leave a comment:

• Christa P
    replied
    Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Christa P Thanks for the clarification.
    As a relative Newb to both Driving (~6yrs in, 2 with my mini) & ADS competitions in general, my brain assumed Cross Country Pleasure & Marathon were pretty much the same, except for speed.

Bugs (mini) & I have actually played with Marathon hazards - both in water & out - at this same park during the Ntl Drive.

While it's true minis can take the turns quicker, once we are into a gate it becomes more of a tunnel/hallway for us
    At 34" once we are in, neither one of us can see over the top of a gate.
    Not a problem for him, as he is listening to my cues. But I need to keep my focus pretty sharp to see my way out!

That, and I need waterproof britches in the Water! Knee-deep to horses is belly-deep to us
    In riding terms a pleasure marathon is an optimum time Hunter pace, a cde marathon is an eventing cross country course.

Actually CDEs were modelled after the old long format eventing.

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Christa P Thanks for the clarification.
    As a relative Newb to both Driving (~6yrs in, 2 with my mini) & ADS competitions in general, my brain assumed Cross Country Pleasure & Marathon were pretty much the same, except for speed.

Bugs (mini) & I have actually played with Marathon hazards - both in water & out - at this same park during the Ntl Drive.

While it's true minis can take the turns quicker, once we are into a gate it becomes more of a tunnel/hallway for us
    At 34" once we are in, neither one of us can see over the top of a gate.
    Not a problem for him, as he is listening to my cues. But I need to keep my focus pretty sharp to see my way out!

That, and I need waterproof britches in the Water! Knee-deep to horses is belly-deep to us

Leave a comment:

• Christa P
    replied
    And again, more FUN than s/b legal.
    Arrived a tad earlier than anticipated, so got assigned to the vet check.
    I directed traffic as entries were coming off both A & B courses at the same time,
    I learned how things went, was impressed by how many horses were so fit they looked like they had just come back from a leisurely drive.
    Organizers/Hosts - Indiana Whips and Wheels (Shoutout!) - again treated volunteers like valued guests.
    Sack lunches delivered by golfcart, along with cold drinks & snacks.
    Pizza, wine & cheese at the Awards afterwards.

I drove to my assigned station after lunch - Obstacle #1 (no longer called Hazards?) for Intermediates.
    I learned how to time, watched as 6 horses & 2 VSEs got through in blazing times - 5 gates, 4 in the water, slowest was 1:00:54 & that was not one of the minis!

And.....
    I learned Marathon for Training is a mere 5 Obstacles
    Even my aged brain s/b able to remember that!
    I was mistakenly thinking it would be comparable to the ADS Pleasure Cross Country that - at Villa Louis - has 32 obstacles for VSE.
    So hopefully next year Bugs will be fit enough to give try Marathon.
    If not, we will do the CT & volunteer again.

Anyone in the near - or even not so - vicinity should come & give this CDE a try.
    Hoosier Horse Park is lovely, IW&W run a great event & ..... cannot think of enough Good Things to say
    Glad you had fun, and VSEs are rarely the slow ones - they can turn WAY too fast and cut corners no horse a chance of making.

Just a point. In Pleasure Driving the cross country obstacles are mostly gates defining the course without too many choices on your path.

In a CDE each of the 5 obstacles will have up to 4 gates each for training level with several possible paths for each obstacle.

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    And again, more FUN than s/b legal.
    Arrived a tad earlier than anticipated, so got assigned to the vet check.
    I directed traffic as entries were coming off both A & B courses at the same time,
    I learned how things went, was impressed by how many horses were so fit they looked like they had just come back from a leisurely drive.
    Organizers/Hosts - Indiana Whips and Wheels (Shoutout!) - again treated volunteers like valued guests.
    Sack lunches delivered by golfcart, along with cold drinks & snacks.
    Pizza, wine & cheese at the Awards afterwards.

I drove to my assigned station after lunch - Obstacle #1 (no longer called Hazards?) for Intermediates.
    I learned how to time, watched as 6 horses & 2 VSEs got through in blazing times - 5 gates, 4 in the water, slowest was 1:00:54 & that was not one of the minis!

And.....
    I learned Marathon for Training is a mere 5 Obstacles
    Even my aged brain s/b able to remember that!
    I was mistakenly thinking it would be comparable to the ADS Pleasure Cross Country that - at Villa Louis - has 32 obstacles for VSE.
    So hopefully next year Bugs will be fit enough to give try Marathon.
    If not, we will do the CT & volunteer again.

Anyone in the near - or even not so - vicinity should come & give this CDE a try.
    Hoosier Horse Park is lovely, IW&W run a great event & ..... cannot think of enough Good Things to say

Leave a comment:

• RMJacobs
    replied
    This is great news!

Rebecca

Leave a comment:

• Zu Zu
    replied
    Zu Zu
    Don't wanna scare competitors at my assigned hazard!
    Select one

A. your water hazard
    or
    B. you’re the water hazard

you’re always fun !

They are lucky to have your help !

Enjoy your day !

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Zu Zu
    Don't wanna scare competitors at my assigned hazard!

Leave a comment:

• Zu Zu
    replied
    I'm Baaaaaack!!!!!
    I can arrive later, missing the 7:45A meeting. 😁
    AND......
    I will be at a Water Hazard!! Happy Dance! 💃
    Great news .... for a quicker departure just

skip your morning shower just wait and ‘dip’ there

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    I'm Baaaaaack!!!!!
    I can arrive later, missing the 7:45A meeting. 😁
    AND......
    I will be at a Water Hazard!! Happy Dance! 💃

Leave a comment:

• RMJacobs
    replied
    So sorry this didn't work out for you.

Rebecca

Leave a comment:

• Zu Zu
    replied
    3:45 am departure after feeding the gang ???!!

the bed would have to be on FIRE for that !

Enjoy your weekend ~ You were nice to try ~

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Sigh.
    Well, looks like I won't be going.
    Updated my original post & emailed to let them know just not doable.
    Hopefully I can manage something for the
    ​​​​ next event & will see peeps at the National Drive.

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    goodhors I understand the need to be there before they start driving & if I was even an hour closer, No Prob.

🤞They can offer something doable

Leave a comment:

Working...
X