• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trailering in the Heat/Humidity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering in the Heat/Humidity

I live in northwest NC, and here, like in much of the country, we have had day upon day of really high heat and humidity. We are in desperate need of some RAIN!

Many of my friends in NC have really curtailed their horse-plans to take into account the high heat and humidity: riding and teaching lessons very early in the day, doing lighter, less intense work sessions with the horses, maybe doing ground work instead of actually riding.

I was hoping to trailer out for a lesson soon, but this heat has me a bit worried. We will be traveling a little over an hour from home, but I am questioning myself about the decision. I am worried that even an hour, in 90+ degree temps, will be detrimental to my horse's health. I'm not as worried about the trip to the trainer's facility, as I am putting the horse through a stiff work session, and then having to trailer her back home.

I thought I would start a post about how others handle situations like this with their horses. Maybe you can post tips on how to successfully trailer in higher heat and humidity conditions - or maybe even NOT trailer - and just wait until better weather conditions prevail.

As much as I would like a lesson, I'm not to keen on putting my horses into situations that could possible endanger their health and well-being to fulfill my own wishes.

I think it depends on whether or not you will hit traffic on the way home. If you are stuck in traffic, it could easily get too hot for the horse. If you have a well ventilated trailer with fans, I think you should be ok if you don't have to stop for traffic. We usually hose the horse thoroughly before loading so he at least starts out well cooled. Our trailer is a white colored Sundowner with lots of screened windows and fans. It does get hot in there, but is usually tolerable. I would carry a cooler of ice and a couple of 5 gallon containers of water in case something goes wrong.

Comment

Ventilation in the trailer is important.

Can you do the lesson and then wait to come home until it cools off and is starting to get a bit dark?

It's what you're used to, of course, and we don't have as much humidity here - but in California it's pretty routine to trailer our horses in 90F weather. Indeed I would say that it's the most common kind of weather to trailer in. All summer you'll see horse trailers going up and down Interstate 5 for 5 hours + when it's 90-100F out. (At those temps, I also worry about trailer tires a bit.)

I think I would try it, and I would be aware of the horse, and be prepared to abort as needed. If the horse looks peaked and is dehydrated when you get to the lesson, well, cancel the lesson (or do just walk work).

Horses, at least my horses, are used to being out in the heat all day.

My trick, btw, is to travel with carrots and some water handy, then dip the carrots in water and feed them to help deal with dehydration. I have little luck getting them to drink, but they rarely refuse carrots.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

This article has been making the rounds, you might find it interesting: http://atguelph.uoguelph.ca/2010/06/...rse-is-hotter/

All good advice so far, I think you just need to take all the factors into consideration.

Comment

Heat and trailer tires?

What? What? Another thing to worry about? :-) Are the trailer tires at significant risk when it's that hot? My trailer manufacturer recommends shielding the tires from direct sun when the trailer is parked, but, I hadn't even gotten to the point of worrying about what could happen to them while driving down a hot highway (though I'm not on the road for anywhere near 5 hours at a time).

Comment

yes--trailering in the heat is not a great idea.

Here in Tx, July and Aug and sometimes part of Sept I cannot (will not) trailer long distance to coaches.

When the temps get into the 90s I hesitate.

And I buy only stock/combo trailers.
            http://kaboomeventing.com/
            http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
            Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

My horses get soaked, shredded beet pulp without molasses every day for lunch. Good source of fat, low protein, high fiber, good for digestion, etc. Anyway, it's very useful for getting water into horses at shows. I add a lot more water than I usually would so that it's a soup. They love the beet pulp and will lick the grain bucket clean, lapping up all the water as they go. Of course, you want to get your horse in the habit of eating it at home since some horses need a few times to come to the conclusion that it's pretty tasty.

Fixating, thanks for the link. Interesting reading.
              Last edited by suzy; Jul. 9, 2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Along with make sure you have lots of ventilation, there is a trick I learned from some folks many moons ago.

Ice the floor of the trailer--put down a layer of shavings, get bags of ice from the mini mart and put them around the hoof area, then a layer of insulating shavings. Add ice as needed during hauling breaks and before you head home. It's amazing how much keeping the feet cool helps the whole horse.
                Eileen
                http://themaresnest.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This has turned out to be a good discussion. I especially liked the article. Its well written and contains so good tips.

Comment

fwiw, I have found that on hot days it is cooler inside my trailer in the full sun than right outside it. I would still rather not be stuck in traffic in the heat towing horses, and I do tend to stay home more in the summer, but I recommend checking out your particular trailer's insulation and airflow.
                    http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

I won't gleefully head into 5:00 Atlanta traffic in the July doldrums, but beyond that I load up and go. Open every vent, let the horse truly cool out before loading up to come home, etc...I haul to lessons and shows off and on all summer. The horse is fine. Now if YOUR horse is a heat-weanie that's different, and only you know that about your horse- I know that my guy I'm training is fine, he's fit as a fiddle and the heat doesn't seem to get to him. I offer water, a great rinse and scrape then park him in the shade til he's cool, then load up and come home. I don't get diesel, etc if I can help it- I do try to make sure that here to there has no stops along the way, little things like that- but no, for an hour trip? Just go.

Comment

Lots of great tips already shared! Here in SoCal it gets hot during the summer, so we just try to travel early or late, keep as much air flowing through the trailer, and try to avoid sticky traffic areas. A little trick I have learned that I use mostly while my horse is in her stall is to hose her off with her Kensington Fly Sheet on- the fabric creates little water pockets and it takes a little longer for it to evaporate.

Comment

• Original Poster

Great replies - keep them coming. I had to chuckle at katarine - is my horse a "heat weenie" - well, she is an Arabian if that tells you anything! She tells me all the time she can take the heat, and she pretty much does.

Comment

I pretty much haul all summer long, but I try to plan ahead so that I'm as sure as I can be that I won't hit traffic at the hottest part of the day. I have an airy stock-type trailer, which certainly helps with airflow, but sometimes doesn't provide quite enough protection from direct sun.

I carry a couple of these just in case I get stuck in traffic, the battery life on them is pretty good. I've also done a quick pull-over, sluiced him down with water and then get on the road again. The evaporation really helps.

So, know what your horse can deal with, plan ahead, and have some backup measures in mind just in case plans go awry.

Comment

Some REALLY good tips! I must say, I haven't been doing much of anything in the 100 degree + temps we've been having. I have a stock side to my trailer, which I really do like - and drop down windows on the opposite side (plus top vents), that helps keep air flowing during trailering - I live in the country so I don't really have to deal with any traffic issues when trailering. I am looking into fans now. I like what EiRide suggested about icing the trailer floor/shavings - COOL idea!

Comment

Pretty much May-Sept here, it is 90 degrees plus with high humidity. July and August are generally brutal. I will NOT haul if getting stuck in traffic is a possibility. I also will NOT haul in the middle of the day, unless it is just absolutely necessary. But, I go to my weekly lesson, which is a 46 mile drive each way. My trailer has top vents, drop down windows on the head side and slats on the hip side. And I just got a fan installed. So, there is good ventilation in my trailer, especially when it is moving.

I like to hose and scrape (you MUST scrape) my horse off just before I load her. That definitely keeps her cooler on the trip.

I do make sure my horse is THOROUGHLY cooled out before I head back home. (My trainer has a big fan in her wash rack so she stays under that fan after I hose and scrape her after the lesson.) And if necessary, I do a second hosing/scraping before loading up. Ideally I would like her to drink before we head home but rarely will she do so. I do rinse her mouth out with the hose so at least she doesn't have "cotton mouth."

I do NOT haul my anhidriotic mare during the summer but the others I don't worry about it too much. I just do everything I can to keep them comfy and try to haul in the cooler part of the day (relatively speaking, of course, because many days there is no time it is "cool.")

Comment

Wrap or not?

Horseling must go on a 6 hour trek tomorrow.

On top of all else I'll do to prepare, should I bail on the wraps in the interest of keeping his legs cool? Or does it make a difference?

He trailers fine. Wraps are there for other drivers who may not "trailer fine."
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mypaintwattie View Post
                                    A little trick I have learned that I use mostly while my horse is in her stall is to hose her off with her Kensington Fly Sheet on- the fabric creates little water pockets and it takes a little longer for it to evaporate.
                                    interestingly, by keeping water ON the horse (ie not scraping) the horse cant cool as efficiency.

so, cold hose and scrape, cold hose and scrape etc, but dont leave excess water on the horse.

(see already linked article for a short reason why not)

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                      Horseling must go on a 6 hour trek tomorrow.

On top of all else I'll do to prepare, should I bail on the wraps in the interest of keeping his legs cool? Or does it make a difference?

He trailers fine. Wraps are there for other drivers who may not "trailer fine."
                                      i would not wrap legs for trailering. especially in the heat. if you are worried about dings, maybe just use bell boots?

Comment

We have heat in 100F+ here and many people show and trailer around. If your horse is used to that kind of heat, it can be done if you want.

Make sure that you open all of the windows and all of the vents. You can install a fan in your horse trailer. You can rinse your horse and scrape it before and after the trailer ride. Put limited wraps or shipping boots on your horse.

Give lots of electrolytes 1 week before the trailering.

If a horse is sensitive to the heat, ask yourself if risking a chance of a colic is worth it?

Comment

Working...
                                        X