• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Do You Want in a Horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rideability... willing, forward, happy in it's work, 3 good gaits, sound. Not balky under saddle, preferably safe to hack alone or in company. Reasonable ground manners, so that it's safe to work around and the farrier doesn't hate me, though I'll sacrifice perfection here if it's nice to ride.

Has to load. I will never, ever, ever buy another horse that is a problem loader. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Don't want to deal with re-training it ever again. I'm too old, and too breakable, and I think it's usually indicative of other giant holes either in training or personality that are beyond my desire to deal with.

Comment

So physical attributes change. What my trainer does which makes it worthwhile for all of us, is he is consistent with the horses so they understand what is expected of them - and simultaneously trains US to give aids which make sense to the horses. He may hold off on advanced movements with a training horse if a rider isn't ready for it, because enabling us to ride and enjoy our own horses is most important to him. For example, he held off on changes for one (retired) owner who wouldn't have been able to handle the sometimes exuberant reactions until she was going to have him riding for a couple months straight without her riding - so he could have her horse cantering around quietly again by the time she was back in town. Another adjustment he made was for me when my left leg didn't function almost at all (as in, at times I couldn't walk on it much less use it while riding) he got both my horses absolutely electric off the left leg - because just very slight muscle twitches had to get responses since it was all I could give as an aid.

In general, though, I can get on and ride any horse he has trained because they're all pretty consistent and steady about responses and acceptance of the aids. Some are hotter, some are lazier, some have movement I'm not nearly fit enough to ride. But all have the same general buttons.
      Originally posted by Silverbridge
      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I know you are asking for behavior/temperament issues, but the first thing I look for is a strong loin connection. I don't want to spend years trying to develop gaits to make up for the weak loin connection. I am not talking short in the back, as I prefer a bit longer, but naturally well padded on the loin to bulge up a bit. I want easy going, curious, but not looky. I want that cross ties nicely, and will stand at a mounting block. I want one that gets along well with a group of horses, and not herd bound. I don't want one trained at all in a round pen, as I especially do not like the mental issues created with a predator-prey system.

Comment

• Original Poster

Strong through the loins is certainly a plus in conformation. Standing is a frequent issue as is loading. I do use a round pen but I wouldn't describe my use as trying to work on a predator/prey model. For me it's simply a convenient small and safe space for horse and trainer to learn to respect and be comfortable with one another. Chasing a horse round and round in circles does not equal training. If I were to describe my approach I'd say it is more oriented on how horses communicate with one another than anything else. It's why if I have a horse that's been on its own for an extended period of time or kept in a stall most of its life, the first thing it gets is a life outside in big paddocks with other horses. It's a bit of a cheat really as the other horses will give the new horse the fundamentals I expand on.

Comment

A horse that I love.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Your Horse View Post
              Strong through the loins is certainly a plus in conformation.
              I was at a clinc once, that the breeder, who happens to be a Hann inspector, brought in an incredible moving horse. Gerd Zuther was teaching the breeding clinic. He asked if anyone thought the gaits were not a 10. Nope, except for me, as I was focused on the weak loin, and wanted no part of her. Later the same horse came back under saddle, and now the gaits were clearly a 5 at best. Gerd was telling us that what the breeder breeds for, the rider does not have to spend years training to overcome. The mare was only 3, but a strong loin connection the gaits would have been the 10 without any work.

Comment

Round pen work is more predator - prey as the horse is moving until tired and stops, giving up to the predator. Lunging is more the natural communication between horses. Move from my space, stop now, etc Lunging teaches them to be controlled with rider aids.

Comment

• Original Poster

I get where you're coming from I just don't agree that a round pen is necessarily predatory. It's a tool. It's as easy, but again not necessary, to be aggressive with lunging - with a whip or even the tail of lunge line and there the horse is denied any means of escape from the pressure. My horses go from round pen to lunge line, to arena on a lunge line, arena without a lunge line and then to open paddock with ground work and the pattern is then repeated in the saddle. We start small and quiet and move outwards. That's the idea anyway :-)

Comment

We always started horses just lunging in the large 150'x250' arena - the first day or 2 without tack, then introduced tack. Almost all by around day 5, we could leg up a rider on a lead, at the end of the 15 minute lunge session. The next day, they w/t free in the arena with rider - about half stepping into the canter once or twice. By day 7 most would be cantering down one long side of the arena, each direction, and often by this time, we would stop the pre-lunging. A couple of days later, we were trotting 6" cross rails. To make backing more interesting, my arena was in the middle of a 28 acre turnout field with 20-25 horses. We probably started 50-60 babies like this with no bucks at all, and never any drugs. If the herd decided to entertain themselves running, we would quickly get off and wait until the fun was over though! haha

The few that were not comfortable and easy were also the ones hard to sell, in spite of their talent and ability.

Comment

Sound, polite on the ground, 3 good gaits, naturally forward, reasonably well put together and athletic.

My little mare checks all those attributes, she doesn't have the best conformation (a bit downhill, a bit over the knee, neck set a bit low) but it doesn't prevent her from doing what I like, which is a little of everything (dressage, jumping, trail riding, hunter paces...).
                      The ONE thing that I would change about her is that she can (still!) be quite hot at times, and is difficult to ride when she has meltdowns.

I am so used to her now (bought her at the track 15 years ago and retrained her myself) I tend to take her for granted, and it's always a shock to me when I handle / ride other horses who don't have what I have in her. For instance, my mare...

- is perfect on the longe line. I can longe her in a hater, over fences in the field, no prob. (But I took the time to train her properly.)
                      - self loads and trailers great.
                      - is great for farrier, vet, chiro etc.
                      - loves attention, grooming etc
                      - is easy to bend and has comfortable gaits.
                      - is willing and seems to enjoy what we do as much as I do

Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

As I struggle with my mare and the fact that she may never come back from what's wrong I'm trying to put my finger on why she's so special.

Someone up thread said the horse just understands how to stay under you. YES my mare just knows when you're weight shifts what is expected. Now that I know that is a thing some horses have. I will never get another that doesn't just have that feel.

I want them to be forward, reactive but not so much so it's not fun. I want to be able to take to the trails just as well as work on perfecting a circle. I like a thinker. And I want them to enjoy my company.

Also my mare will drink water anywhere. Seriously that's a lifesaver on long journeys and when we do competitive trail rides.

Comment

Good feet, good ground manners, good brain. It's usually a "pick two" scenario for me with those. I don't think I've ever looked at one in my price range that fits that bill.

I'm not too picky with conformation. I wouldn't buy a horse with extremes obviously, like being very post legged or very butt-high downhill, but I kind of like taking a horse that isn't necessarily built for dressage and having a go and watching them transform.

But if we are specific... I tend to buy 16h chestnut Paint mares that are heavily halter bred but show no sign of it, with the tenacious alpha mare personality. I have a type
                          Fancy - My 1998 APHA mare.
                          Chloe - My 2014 solid APHA filly. AKA Baby Dragon.

Comment

Originally posted by sabinomare View Post
                            I have a type
                            Me too hot little (15 - 15.3 h) OTTB mares that nobody looks at, since everyone seems to want a nice tall Tb gelding lol
                            Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

I get where you're coming from I just don't agree that a round pen is necessarily predatory. It's a tool. It's as easy, but again not necessary, to be aggressive with lunging - with a whip or even the tail of lunge line and there the horse is denied any means of escape from the pressure. My horses go from round pen to lunge line, to arena on a lunge line, arena without a lunge line and then to open paddock with ground work and the pattern is then repeated in the saddle. We start small and quiet and move outwards. That's the idea anyway :-)
                              Totally agree! Not everyone uses Parelli methods in a round pen. And honestly, a good natural horseman trainer doesn't use predatory methods either. We start them in a 60x80 small arena, almost a round pen, because it sets up boundaries and helps a young horse find their balance. There is comfort in a rail, especially with the first few rides, it provides a physical line of travel while adjusting to new things such as going in a circle (not natural!) or carrying a rider. We don't chase them, they learn in a very classical way, but every trainer that has been to our place over the years (I've had a few boarding young horses here) has loved that tool.

I find it it is comforting to the young horses, not at all predatory. But then I develop a relationship on the ground with my youngsters long before they go under tack. Maybe that makes a difference? Most of my horses take comfort from people. I inherited a couple of young horses who had not been handled for their first few years, and I do notice a difference in how the view people. I'm not sure if that is lack of handling in formative years, or just personality ? But we still didn't use a round pen to scare them into submission, I really don't think that is an effective way to teach horses.

I personally love love having a small fenced ring/round pen for starting youngsters. And know several very successful trainers who also use them Slightly off topic, but relevant too. I like a horse to be nicely started, and a round pen would not be a turnoff for me. I use to think good lunge manners were necessary, but my latest project is SO naughty on the lungeand had issues loading, and was way behind on his training, and was naughty under saddle, and had a dicey walk. And I got him anyway, so go figure. Sometimes they tick all the negative boxes And I'm having a blast on him, and have some 70s at Training level. You just never know...

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi Mystic :-) Thanks. If you are able to work with your horses from a young age in conjunction with their mares until weaning and then on from there then it is a good way to begin. A lot of horses I get to work are OTTB that have been bought cheap, who have not been started beyond being backed sufficiently to run on a track and who are with owners who just don't realise what they have got themselves into. It is easier to start a horse from scratch than to re-train most OTTBs. It's not the horse's fault of course, they have been raised and worked with one goal in mind, in a volume-minded context - so many have to fail to find a winner - and it doesn't require manners or anything but the crudest of aids.

But I LOVE working with these horses. The reason being is most horse simply would not survive what your average TB typically endures - and yet with the right work after the track most of them will give you themselves heart & soul. Sadly, because I see a lot of them, there are always some that will never be properly rehabilitated and while someone like myself could ride them, there are very few such as me who are both willing and able. My own horse is one. He was not sacked for being slow but for being uncontrollable. You wouldn't recognise him as the same horse but, at the same time, I wouldn't let anyone else ride him - for his sake and theirs! :-)

Comment

Hi all, I'm a horse trainer (not a riding instructor). Imagine you are considering a new prospect to buy. What behaviour attributes you would ideally like your horse to possess? Calmness? Good ground manners? Basic knowledge of and obedience to the Aids? Good at loading on a float (trailer)? What in particular would YOU like a new prospect to possess? Thanks.
                                  My #1 consideration after health and soundness, of course, is safety. Calmness when confronted with unexpected situations, both under saddle and on the ground. Good manners, respectful, pleasant disposition.

#2 Would be a willing attitude and high tolerance for rider mistakes.
                                  I'm a Canadian dressage addict and I've got the blog to prove it!
                                  www.dressageaddict.ca

Comment

oh yes and I have a type! Bay, mare, big butt short short back, gorgeous head.

Comment

Working...
                                    X