• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Flamesuit on "whats wrong with the youth program in the USA ?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flamesuit on "whats wrong with the youth program in the USA ?"

I know you have some very good Youngriders in the States and Canada, with some very good horses. But what could be the reason that these YR's never make a decend score at the worldchampionships. The USA is the #3/4 country in the dressage-world, but when it comes down to the YR they mostly score at the lowest part of the list.

Another question-how does the YR dressage compare with the YR in h/j? It seems to me that there are far, far more h/j young riders. But even then, I'm not sure that they stack up favorably internationally, for different reasons.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

What youth program?

Therein lies the problem. There is no "youth program" here in the States. Young riders who learn dressage are few and far between. I'd venture to say 80% of our kids ride hunter or western. Maybe 15% do Pony club, 4-H, or eventing.... very very few do dressage.

And, since we have a real dearth of super good dressage instructors here, its highly unlikely that a motivated young dressage rider is going to find the right instructor.

It is just in the recent past that our adults have become competitive on the world stage... it will take another generation before our kids get there.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rileyt View Post
        What youth program?

Therein lies the problem. There is no "youth program" here in the States. Young riders who learn dressage are few and far between. I'd venture to say 80% of our kids ride hunter or western. Maybe 15% do Pony club, 4-H, or eventing.... very very few do dressage.

And, since we have a real dearth of super good dressage instructors here, its highly unlikely that a motivated young dressage rider is going to find the right instructor.

It is just in the recent past that our adults have become competitive on the world stage... it will take another generation before our kids get there.
        But look at the score-list (this is the third year we have these worldchampionships YR) and you will notice that many minor countries like Latvia, Argentina etc. are doing better. So I stick to your first remark, "you don't have a youth program". But isn't this where it all starts ?

Comment

Not enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$
          Too many MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILES
          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

Could it be

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
            Not enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$
            Too many MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILES
            But what about Australia, Russia, Argentina etc...

Could it be that the selection procedure in the USA isn't right ? Just asking.

Comment

What do YOU think, Theo? Give us your solution to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rutgerjan View Post
                But what about Australia, Russia, Argentina etc...

Well what about them?

Seems to me you're just stirring. (again....................yawn)
                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

They don't have hunters in Europe. Dressage is big in Europe. That is part of the difference.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by atr View Post
                    What do YOU think, Theo? Give us your solution to the problem.
                    Focus muchhhhhhhh more on the Junior and Youngriders. I just watched part1,2 and 3 of a reality serie broadcasted in the USA called The Next American Equestrian Star (Idols ?). This was certainly a start, but next month we have the same kind of program here in Holland but we have replaced Robert Dover (50+ ?) by Laurens van Lieren (20+). Next to this: the world's biggest sponsor in Equestrian sports (Rabobank) spends 90% of their budget on pony, juniors and youngriders. In the country where the sky is the limit it shouldn't be so difficult to find sponsors

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
                      They don't have hunters in Europe. Dressage is big in Europe. That is part of the difference.
                      When you keep saying this you will never reach the ultimate goal. In Argentina Polo is the biggest sport, in Russia... blahblahblah

The Dutch were beaten by the Germans for over 50 years, but this year the Dutch won gold both in jumping and dressage. It's never a short time struggle but always a long time battle.

And let's have a look at speed-skating, is this a big sport in the USA ?

Comment

US Has More Sports to Choose From!

Theo,

Equestrian sports are pretty far down in the popularity rankings as far as sports in US. Basketball/Football/Soccer/Baseball/Golf/Tennis/Swimming/Skiing all are more popular and are backed by the big $$$.

Check out the sports with big $$$$$ college scholorships (Not Equestrian and for sure not Dressage or Speed Skating )

As far as Equestrian sports: Western (Rodeo/WP/Team (cattle) Roping) disciplines are probably more popular than the English disciplines.
                        Within the English disciplines H/J and Eventing are far and away more popular than Dressage.

And then, don't forget Fox Hunting!
                        And Endurance Riding and CompetitiveTrail Riding which are really becoming popular!

USA is a big country that has a huge number of sports for adults and youth to choose from!

Check out the thread Denny Emerson (Olympic Gold Eventer) started over on the Eventing Forum : "Boys in Eventing?" asking why there are so few boys in equestrian sports in US...

Might answer some of your questions.
                        Last edited by claire; Dec. 14, 2007, 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot Fox Hunting (JSwan will Kill Me) LOL!

Comment

The Dutch would be standouts in the NFL and MLB no doubt?
                          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Why does it matter if riders from a particular country win or not? I never did understand the big deal about having to be a "world power" in some sport. I am sure the horses don't give a crap about winning and would rather NOT get on a plane and fly across the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean. I think what we do to them and how we drag them all around the world is ridiculous.

I think corruption ensues when money gets into any sport. I wish the corporate sponsors would stay out of it.

Who CARES if the US rider was toward the bottom? Maybe she wasn't as good a rider or didn't have as good a horse as the others. Her test wasn't as good. BIG DEAL. I hope she had fun doing what she did. I think it's much more important for kids to have fun (like in Pony Club) with their horses rather than worry about WINNING all the time--and it's ridiculous to tell a kid or all the kids in the country that something is WRONG with the youth program just because they didn't win. I think in Europe it might be worse than Little League or Soccer Moms.

I am the mother of a wonderful, brilliant girl who went through Pony Club, had a GP schoolmaster that was fabulous, got her C-2 rating, had some great experiences, and graduated from HS at age 17. She then proceeded to get into a first-class school, early decision, where she had to STUDY (Johns Hopkins Cellular and Molecular Biology), and worked her butt off to get fabulous grades there. She is working in a lab at the medical school that does research concerning HIV. She wants to be a research veterinarian or veterinary pathologist. She just was accepted at one veterinary school and got an interview at another, a combined PhD and VMD program. And I bet she will at least get interviews (if not accepted) at ALL the vet schools she applied to. Knock on wood...

SHE'S ON HER WAY!!! And growing up among horses certainly was part of her excellent preparation for real life. There are lots of kids who realize that riding is a fun and important pastime, but that there are other things in life, too. And I hardly think that a large percentage of kids who ride will make a living at it.

So please--don't imply that something is WRONG if riders from a particular country don't win. Our children are just FINE. I hardly think winning medals in dressage or ANY sport is "the ultimate goal". My daughter is helping to find a cure for AIDS. What's your kid doing?

Comment

From my experience, as soon as a sport becomes large and "important" it becomes less of a sport and more of a show for big money. I hope that my SPORT does NOT go this way. Sadly it seems to be doing just that in Europe.
                              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

OMG

Here we go again. And maybe these four words are also the answer.

So let me refrase my question :

Allthough I live on the other side of the big blue ocean I know that you have some wonderfull YRiders and horses in the USA (I know at least five who can battle with the better riders in Europe). But for some reasons the USA don't want to send them to the world championships, or they send the ones who aren't prepaired for a crowded arena or..or... In casu what is wrong in the system ?

And to asnwer some other questions and remarks. When Ice-speed skating isn't populair in the USA why are men like Ched Hedrick and Shannie Davis suddenly at the top 5 during the world championships ?

Comment

Originally posted by rebecca yount View Post
                                  Maybe she wasn't as good a rider or didn't have as good a horse as the others. Her test wasn't as good. BIG DEAL. I hope she had fun doing what she did. I think it's much more important for kids to have fun (like in Pony Club) with their horses rather than worry about WINNING all the time--and it's ridiculous to tell a kid or all the kids in the country that something is WRONG with the youth program just because they didn't win. I think in Europe it might be worse than Little League or Soccer Moms.
                                  Thank-you! I have seen my share of parents pushing kids in Equestrian too. Many learn to hate it. Horses should be fun. A YR on one of my stallion's babies qualified for the YR Area Championships, Scored & placed well qualifying for the Regional level, but did not go. That is fine. She had a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by rutgerjan View Post
                                    Here we go again.

Shouldn't that be "Here YOU go again?

Obviously it is not important to Americans, as a nation, to have the "BEST" team of dressage riders in the world. Sorry you cannot understand that. Doesn't that make the US team ranking seem more of an accomplishment compared to all that money invested by other countries?
                                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Well, differences....

Argentina and Russia are huge countries, so the many miles does not count.

In other countries Dressage is where you start riding, there is no jumping for quiet some time when you start. That's the goal for later, get good enough so they let you jump. There is no either or, it's both for a long time.

Ammi rule. it blows. In other countries there is no such thing, you can ride what ever is thrown your way, show it and get a little compensation for it. The playing field is leveled by putting in restrictions, so you don't find yourself competing with the local pro on his best horse for a second level medal, but he can break out a greeny and you get to see him/her ride...

Liability and availability. it's not as bad as in the states, so you don't have to worry so much if your catch rider falls off. Quiet a few people I know have started on borrowed horses, my sister included...it worked out to the mutual benefits of both owner and rider...the one got miles on the horse, the other experience. here you have to own a horse to do serious showing. Of course with the monies tied into ownership, the exposure to other horses is limited. Your one horse goes lame, it might be years before you get another.

and trainers, and talented mounts...and money....
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                        Shouldn't that be "Here YOU go again?

Obviously it is not important to Americans, as a nation, to have the "BEST" team of dressage riders in the world.
                                        Even on the COTH forums, Dressage ranks #3.

Comment

Working...
                                        X