• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Back movers...born or made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back movers...born or made?

What do you folks think? Born or made?
    And, as a corollary question, if you have a back mover, what must you do (or not do) to maintain it?
    And as a further corollary, if the horse is not so blessed, can you do something to develop it?

Opinions?

Loaded question, but it’s good that you are thinking in this direction. Any judge or breeder will tell you that a “back mover” is they key to success.

My opinion, that most of the back movers are naturally bred. Yes, you can definitely improve the leg mover to have more swing in the back and with collection and proper training the gaits will become more elastic and fluid.

However, most people look at the back movers tearing it out in the turn out and think :” I just want to reproduce THAT under the saddle” On contrary, with the leg mover, there is nothing to reproduce under the saddle. Even in free turn out leg moves move with a stiff backs and choppy gaits - then add a rider to that and it’ll usually even more choppier. From nothing, comes nothing

It also doesn't matter what breed the horse is - natural swing in the back is similar to people who have natural talent for gymnastics or dancing. They just move with a born groove Others have to take years and years of lessons to just get where talented people started.

~ signed
    a rider with a natural leg mover. My next horse will be a natural born back mover

Comment

Born.

It has to do with conformation, but not just conformation. No matter how hard I try, I could never do the ballet move known as a "split." Horses are the same way, they do not all have the same amount of natural flexibility, balance, and coordination.

The best equine athletes today, are not just back movers either. They are back movers that are also pretty amazing leg movers as well. Things like diagonal advanced placement (DAP) and ambidexterity are also genetic and cannot be trained in.
      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

I think back movers are bred, and maintaining and improving that ability is what good dressage is all about. Encouraging free forward movement and strengthening and elasticising the horse before even thinking about "collection".

Leg movers can be improved but will never have that wonderful swing and soft floaty carrying power.
        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Could you explain....
          What is a "back mover?"
          I've never heard that term used before...

Comment

I've heard and read about back movers versus leg movers, but a video SHOWING the difference would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Robyn View Post
              I've heard and read about back movers versus leg movers, but a video SHOWING the difference would be much appreciated
              It is mostly a "feel" thing. Although you can usually identify a leg mover. The leg mover flings his front legs around extravagantly, sometimes flipping his toes up in the air with a big reach of stride and lots of articulation of the joints. But these horses are often not using their hindquarters at all or their hindquarters are trailing out behind them. They may have quite a lot of suspension in the trot but it is caused by a horizontal stretching of the frame, not by collection. They often hollow their backs, but they just do not engage their back muscles even if they are not hollow. Since they are not moving through and over their backs, it is very easy for a leg mover's gaits to become impure (lateral or not the right sequence or number of beats) when they are collected.

A back mover is simply the opposite. The back and the abdominal muscles are engaged and lifted. The reach, articulation and elevation of the back legs matches the front legs and they move the same way. The horse steps well underneath himself with his hind legs and rounds his back under the rider. Hard to see, but you can definitely feel it.

Comment

the ultimate abillity of a horse making use of his back is set by genetic features.
                the maximum extension you enable it to make use if his back within its genetically given limits is set by training.
                http://hippologi.com

http://muensterland-pferde.de

Comment

Originally posted by fannie mae View Post
                  the ultimate abillity of a horse making use of his back is set by genetic features.
                  the maximum extension you enable it to make use if his back within its genetically given limits is set by training.
                  Very well put, Fannie Mae.

Comment

Back mover - courtesy of his sire!
                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Short of injury I think almost any decently athletic horse can be ridden so that he uses his back. In fact I thought that's what dressage training was all about.

Comment

Indeed an athletic horse can be taught to use his back, but he will not do it in the same way as a "back mover".
                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I never post here-just lurk But this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Back movers are born to it! Its breeding like to like to produce the best. It's an inherited suspension that cannot be man made.

However have improved movement using caveletti at a trot on the lunge line. I am not a fan of rolkur or trapping down as this is a pure movement from the "motor". However i have used a "xando pull" to help develop the back muscles on the lunge over the cavaletti.

Important to develop slowly and methodically to prevent over use injury and promote a willing attitude.

I have an INCREDIBLE "back mover" here in my stables. Sadly he has a permanent back injury from over use in the rolkur prior to my ownership. But a shear joy to watch him move at liberty!!!! One day with a great dealof work I MAY be able to ride him!
                          "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

I bought once a filly who I thought was an incredible back mover. I was right ! I raise, start her as usual but the feeling on her was terrible !

I am sure everything is easier with such horses.
                            Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
                            http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robyn View Post
                              There are variations of severity of the leg movers. But all of them simply do not use their backs when they move. They "lock" their backs and tense their back muscles. If you can closely watch only their backs, their backs don't move up/down with every step. It's only their whole body that quite stiffly moves up/down with the locked back.

Oh-ah, I guess for educational purposes, I can post some old videos of my mare. She is a leg mover. She is not a back mover at all. She has an amazingly stiff back:
                              1. My leg mover when I bought her, ridden by her previous owner: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56980930042007
                              2. My leg mover 2 years latter with me: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23054633666750

Look at the stiffness of her back that goes directly to the stiffness of her legs and when leg lands on the ground, there is no buoyancy, no springing feeling - it looks like a horse is almost hammering her legs in to the ground. Instead of picking her legs up, then forward, then down - she picks her legs and brings then down right away. Even she got better with dressage training, you still can see that she is NOT a back mover.

You need this extra swing in the back to have this extra air time and expressive gaits.

Comment

I see not a "leg mover" but a horse that's not through her back.

Comment

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
                                  I see not a "leg mover" but a horse that's not through her back.
                                  Well that horse in not thru her back even when she is running in the tunt out. That IS the point: she doesn't use her back. She never used her back. She was born with not using her back. She is NOT a back mover (even with out a rider)

Comment

Thank you Dressage Art - when the back muscles are "tensed and locked" they are "on" (contracted). A good "back mover" relaxes the back muscles (and uses more of the psoas and abdominal muscles, closing the hip angle). It amazes me how many times people want to "develop" and "build up" the back muscles when in reality it is usually the opposite - back muscles need to be relaxed - the muscles need to "turn off" for "the ring of muscles" to operate in concert. A great resource is the article "true collection" available at www.equinestudies.org that depicts the ring of muscles and back function. As Dr. Bennett is noted for saying (and many other great horsemen) "axial body (the back) governs limb dynamics."

Understanding the biomechanics, not confusing relaxation and contraction of muscles, and applying this to training can improve any horse regardless of conformation. Obviously, the conformation/bone structure of the horse has something to do with the relative ability to "back move" - but all horses can and should "back move" when educated to use their backs/ring of muscles correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Caecilius View Post
                                      Understanding the biomechanics, not confusing relaxation and contraction of muscles, and applying this to training can improve any horse regardless of conformation. Obviously, the conformation/bone structure of the horse has something to do with the relative ability to "back move" - but all horses can and should "back move" when educated to use their backs/ring of muscles correctly.
                                      Thank you and my feelings also. Any horse depending on how it is trained and ridden can be a back or a leg mover. Certainly some find it easier than others but you can take the most talented horse and make a hollow back leg mover out of it.

Comment

The natural elasticity of a back mover is such a joy to watch at liberty and to train undersaddle. I am glad to hear this being discussed; because I think the understanding of this is being lost. Certainly I have to suspect that, when the back movers are harder to sell than the leg movers
                                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                        ---
                                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                        X