• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why choose the expense constantly showing poorly over taking lessons from a good trainer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why choose the expense constantly showing poorly over taking lessons from a good trainer?

This is something that baffles me.

We have an EXCELLENT clinician (GP rider and trainer, trained with European and American Olympic trainers) that comes to our area and some of the show riders choose to go to a show and score in the 40s/low 50s constantly rather than pay for a lesson with this clinician ($150 per ride). They do this year after year.

Wouldn't a light bulb go off in their head to make them realize they need help rather than pay $400+ to go to a recognized show and get abysmal scores?

Or take a lesson v/s do a schooling show where they ride third level on an I1 horse but can't ever get the flying change?

Just seems like silliness.

I'm an event rider, but I had to chime in that I see this CONSTANTLY in our area. We have a plethora of excellent trainers and clinicians in this area and yet people would rather spend their money to run haphazardly around horse trials and never improve/move up. I know some people show for fun, but I'm not sure what is fun about being out of control and always scoring poorly.

Comment

I hope someone that does this chimes in, because yes, seems completely illogical, but common! I think most commonly I see these riders working with local trainers, and the trainers have them convinced their horse is challenging, and more lessons with them will help? Like everyone else is riding way easier horses The only time going to a show and getting crap scores makes sense is with a green horse (at least, green to showing) where they need to just go and do things and learn to live. But I wouldn't expect to see that too often at rated shows, unless the venues don't offer schooling shows, or above training level!

Comment

I don't think this is always just down to needing more lessons, though.

Some riders are nervous when showing, but ride well at home. Some riders want the show ring feedback - they want to compare apples to apples.

No one enjoys going out to get 40s or 50s. Maybe some riders have unrealistic expectations with regards to their own abilities, sure, but they don't enjoy getting low scores. Why do we need to pick on people we don't know?

Comment

Live and let live.

How do these people bad riding affect your riding?
          Why do you care so much?

If you really want them to improve, talk to themat shows (nicely), invite them to clinics to audit (maybe for free), engage the conversation.

But hey, if they are not interrested... just go on with your riding and let it go.

~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
          I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
          HORSING mobile training app

Comment

• Original Poster

It is really bizarre. Even if you want to just show, wouldn't you show at a schooling show instead of paying the big bucks for a recognized show. Then consistently NEVER get out of the 50s but FaceBook your blue ribbon (no score and no mention that they were the only one in the class). Scores are too easy to look up nowadays so it doesn't fool anyone.

I would like to hear from someone who does this too. I'd love to understand the logic.

Comment

Most riders need more instruction weekly rather than a high priced clinician a couple of times a year. Ideally they would do both of these and a good local trainer who would prepare them to show and get good scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Escada View Post
                It is really bizarre. Even if you want to just show, wouldn't you show at a schooling show instead of paying the big bucks for a recognized show. Then consistently NEVER get out of the 50s but FaceBook your blue ribbon (no score and no mention that they were the only one in the class). Scores are too easy to look up nowadays so it doesn't fool anyone.

I would like to hear from someone who does this too. I'd love to understand the logic.
                You don't get a blue ribbon at 50% even if you are alone in a class. Doesn't work like that.

You won't hear from someone "who does this"...

Especially with that condescending tone... and sour grapes.

What's wrong with people these days? Is it the perpetual rain?

Unfriend them on Facebook, Log out of Facebook and go ride...
                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

A $150 lesson a few times a year improves scores? Since when?

Comment

• Original Poster

Alibi-18 - No sour grapes here. I'm just fine. It does baffle me though so I'm honestly interested in an answer.

But yes, you do get a blue ribbon when you are the only person in the class, even at GP. Just saw it happen. Rider got in the 50s (54% and 56%), was the only person in the class and got placed first on the official score board.

Comment

Because most people would rather do the same thing over and over, and expect a different result.

Besides, you do understand that taking lessons from clinicians of that caliber is exhausting, both mentally and physically, right? lol. Those trainers don't allow you to have tons of excuses, and usually whip you ass till kingdom comes. Yeah, I happen to like that kind of exhaustion but not everybody is.

And yes, a few good lessons a year can definitely improve your scores (especially if your score at 40s), assuming you are a good student, and take the lessons to heart and practice at home.

Comment

It is really bizarre. Even if you want to just show, wouldn't you show at a schooling show instead of paying the big bucks for a recognized show.
                        Because they want to.

Really, does there need to be more of an answer than that?

Comment

I know some people like this. Except they DO ride with the Big Clinician, who is apparently either in the business of blowing smoke or has just given up trying to really get through enough to help.

I hear lots of "reasons" from these acquaintances about why they scored so poorly. The judge has a bias against my horse, the footing was utterly horrific, some DQ in the warmup nearly ran us over and Dobbin was SO upset, and so on. While any one of those things could occur and be a true cause for the odd bad test, when it's EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. that something "comes up" to cause some really, really painfully bad rides, it starts to become suspect.

I don't care when I see ammy riders or kids do it, so much - maybe they are just trying to stay positive, maybe they just show for fun or for the experience, maybe the horse/rider pair are ill-matched but they are making the best of it. I DO find it distasteful and deceitful when I see a trainer doing it, though.

Comment

I ride with an outstanding clinician in three-day sessions a month. He has improved my riding and my horse's training more than weekly lessons with local trainers ever did, especially as we move up the levels. Such a plan may not work for some riders, though. Someone just starting the dressage journey might need weekly or twice weekly guidance. Anyone who rides with a clinician only occasionally must be capable of continuing the work in between clinics.

I've gotten to where I'd rather spend money on these clinics than show -- although I do both. I just show less now than in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
                              I don't think this is always just down to needing more lessons, though.

Some riders are nervous when showing, but ride well at home. Some riders want the show ring feedback - they want to compare apples to apples.

No one enjoys going out to get 40s or 50s. Maybe some riders have unrealistic expectations with regards to their own abilities, sure, but they don't enjoy getting low scores. Why do we need to pick on people we don't know?
                              Exactly. A person can take lessons for decades and still only get to a certain point of proficiency. Why do you think there are so many people 'stuck' at First and Second Level?

I personally have learned to ride better by going to shows, even with my scores in the 50's. Showing is a lesson in of itself for some of us.

I question that there are so many people spending figures like $400 at big shows and getting scores in the 40's. I don't see those kinds of scores where I am. While 54-56% isn't a 'satisfactory' score by definition, I wouldn't smirk at someone getting that at Grand Prix. It's really easy to screw up a higher level ride and put yourself in the 50's.

Comment

I agree with live and let live.

If I start showing my guy again, I expect I will likely have multiple shows with VERY low scores on him. He has issues when he is in a situation and doesn't understand what to expect. Because he raced at small local tracks he got used to trailering somewhere and galloping. When he evented, he got an hour gallop in the cross country saddle before dressage. Our dressage shows don't even have anywhere you're allowed to ride where I could get up in two point and let him gallop - so he gets tense and confused, and tries to control the adrenaline and energy. We've been working at home to teach him appropriate outlets for the energy rather than explosions, and he's about ready to start going places. We will of course start off just schooling him places, then schooling shows - but eventually there will be shows where he stays overnight in a stall and is taken out and ridden. And it will again be a different situation, and he will again have major tension. Therefore, scores will be low. But it will be mileage he has to get.

I'm lucky in that I have a horse I bought before she was started who doesn't have the baggage. We've had the low scores from her being young and nervous, but never with explosiveness, and it shows in the up and down of our scores. This year we're just working on consistency at a level which is easy for her, with a goal of being more competitive next year. Totally different situation and she isn't one you would scratch your head about if you saw us showing.

I do NOT believe a few rides a year with a big name trainer helps anyone who has a fundamental lack of understanding of what they are missing in their riding. And I suspect that's what you're seeing. That person could use someone KINDLY helping them understand what things they can work on in their basics to help improve. Or, as someone else noted, they have nervous issues. One of my friends is working with a sports psychologist on her nerve issues, as at home they can ride through PSG and make it look easy, yet they are struggling to consistently score over 60 in shows. She tightens up and said her brain goes blank and she basically forgets how to ride.

Basically, there are lots of reasons, but given the judgmental tone of this post, I doubt anyone consistently doing that right now will chime in.
                                Originally posted by Silverbridge
                                If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ TD View Post
                                  Most riders need more instruction weekly rather than a high priced clinician a couple of times a year. Ideally they would do both of these and a good local trainer who would prepare them to show and get good scores.
                                  you don't need a $50,000 horse, just a $5000 horse and $45000 worth of lessons.

Comment

Eh, I get it. I'm lower level (usually showing Training) with scores consistently in the mid 50s. I'm happy with them.

1) I have horrific show nerves. Even with a reader, I nearly went off course a couple weekends ago because my mind just blanked and I did not remember to turn until way late. Riding at home doesn't help this. Riding in clinics doesn't help this. The only thing that will help it is riding in shows.

2) I have fun despite my nerves. People who see how tense I am at shows might not understand that, but that's fine. Believe me, I wouldn't be there if I weren't having fun or if I weren't getting some sense of accomplishment out of being there.

3) It actually helps me to push myself outside my comfort zone at shows. I could get better scores if I showed Intro, but without fail every time we go home from shows I have major breakthroughs at home. Not the same sort of breakthroughs I would get at a clinic, but important mental breakthroughs nevertheless. Since I show one (or two or three) weekends a year and ride at home the rest of the year... youbetcha I'm going to think about how what happens at the show can best benefit me the rest of the year when I pick what class to show in.

4) In the past, I have stepped up a level before being ready (e.g. when I knew certain movement(s) were not show ready) because I was willing to take the hit on X or Y movement in order to gauge how everything else was going. It actually takes mental pressure off me when stepping up a level half a step early, because I know we are going for experience only. Less stress for me, less tense show day, all around better experience helping with the show nerves. It doesn't have to make sense to the railbirds; it just has to work for me.

5) I do ride in the occasional clinic. Shows and clinics aren't mutually exclusive. Most of my money goes to regular lessons and training rides, where it does the most good.

Granted, currently I am showing schooling shows. But I've done the same thing at rated shows in the past. Right now, I have access to a good schooling show circuit ("r" judges, etc); in the past, the only option was rated shows. Right now, I am the only student my trainer has that does Dressage shows; in the past, everyone under my trainer went to rated shows and I did, too, because part of the fun of showing was hanging out with your barn and cheering each other on.

So yes, despite the fact that I'm showing schooling shows right now, I get why people might be doing this at rated shows because I've done it there, too. And at higher levels than Training, too. If they are anything like me, the reason they are going into the ring and the pride they have in whatever ribbon has very little to do with the score.

But even I would be reevaluating if my scores were consistently in the 40s.
                                    Halt Near X | Horse Bloggers - Blog Directory

Comment

Speaking from observation, some people don't mind paying for the privilege of being in the rated show world - for a variety of reasons. For some, it's simply about being part of that world even if their scoring trends suggest that that they are not quite ready for prime time - and may never be.

Others love the fancy clothes and the bling brow bands - showing for them is more about dressing up than about riding.

Those who post the pics of the blue ribbon in a class of one are trying to impress folks, and the folks they are trying to impress aren't the folks who know better.

Comment

I guess it depends why someone shows. For me - no, I would not show if I were consistently getting scores in the 50s, or I would drop down a level. But that's me. I know another girl whose goal was to show PSG. So she moved up a level a year, even though by Third her scores dropped to the high 50s and then to the low 50s and Fourth. Her PSG scores were nothing to write home about but she got in there and did it, which was her goal.

Anther friend took her 4 year old to shows all summer last year despite struggling to hit 50 because it was a good training exercise for her. The horse was so reactive to everything at first she got eliminated before "C track right" a couple of times. But she gradually got more confident and relaxed and hopefully this year she can show to compete.

As far as spending money on a big name clinincian, I used to always do that but realized at my Lowe level I'm much better spending that money on regular extra lessons / training rides with my own coach or her trainer than on one or two "one off" lessons with someone who doesn't know us.
                                        I'm a Canadian dressage addict and I've got the blog to prove it!
                                        www.dressageaddict.ca

Comment

Working...
                                        X