• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How tall will she finish at???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall will she finish at???

I am purchasing a two year old hanoverian filly, and she stands currently at 15.2 1/2. Her sire is 16.3, and I am not sure about her dam, I am thinking she is 16.h.h. How tall do you think she will be when she is done growing?

Thanks for your input.

there are so many factors that come with height, that I believe its hard to tell from the facts that you give. Shoulder, legs, height at particular ages etc. matter.

Some shoot up and stop... some will grow and grow until they are 6.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Comment

Right now I would say she is not on the "tall" side, so a shoot up factor (which is not as usual as some would think) would have to happen to end up well over 16h IMO

Less and less do I see horses end up at 17h or near there if they are not already at 16 or very close at 2. Could be the TB or modern blood we keep seeing in the WB.

Anywho. Good luck!

added to say:

I looked at a yearling the other day that was 15.3 and OBVIOUSLY still growing, and so it would be VERY safe to say 17h or around there. But like I said at 2 he will be 16plus easy.
      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

She could end up anywhere from 15.2 1/2 to.....well, any height. Totally depends on genetics, which can be a total crapshoot. She could grow til she's 9, or she could stop at 3. There's just no way to know for sure now. If I had to hazard a completely random guess I'd say that it sounds pretty likely that she'll hit or go over 16h.

One of my mares is 15.3h and was out of a 16.3h mare and by a 16.2h stallion. The mare I just sold was out of a 16.2h mare and by a 16.2h stallion and finished at 15.1h. Both hit their final height by about 4yo, and from what I've heard, were done with "growth spurts" around 2.

I have an OTTB gelding, on the other hand, who was 16.1h at 5yo but then popped up at 6yo to 17.1h behind and just shy of 17h up front. And I had a DWB gelding who grew until he was 8yo (he was 16h at 2 and finished at a pretty stout 16.2h SIX YEARS later). My coming 3yo was 15.1h or 15.2h at 2 and is now 16.1h as a coming 3yo and looks like he's still going up.

My point is that they're all different and it's impossible to predict without knowing more (and even then you're just talking about odds).

Comment

My guess would be around 16 hands, but then, they can do very odd things with growth.

My first colt was 15 hands as at one year, 16 hands at 2, 16.2 at 4 and 17+ at five. His mama was 15.3 and his dad 16.2 and not known to throw big height.

My second breeding, his half sister out of a 15 hand mare, was 14.2 at one, 15.2 at two, 15.3 from 3-4, and nudged up to 16 hands even at 5 yrs old.

My third one is by a 16.1 hand stallion out of a 15.3 hand mare. She was 14.2 as a yearling, 15.1 at two and 15.2 by January first of that winter. She is now 15.2 flat at five years old, but she won't turn five until July and my others all grew between spring the winter in that fifth year, so maybe she'll nudge some more height and maybe she won't.
          Eileen
          http://themaresnest.us

Comment

it will most probably be over 16hh lol dont worry horses dont stop growing till they 7 and at 7 years they get there last spurt on being the circumfrance of the horse which can add an inch or two lol

Comment

If you want to make a slightly educated guess, go read about the string test over on sporthorse breeding.

Also, is she just turning 2 now, or is she 2 turning 3 next week? If you call her breeder, you might get a good idea also. The breeder will know more about the height of the dam, and what sort of height there is in the next generation back.

Comment

While it really does depend on the bloodlines, I would be surprised if a 15.2h, 2 year old warmblood baby with the parents you described turned out shorter than 16h.

Most warmblood babies do end up having a growth spurt sometime between two and four. Many don't finish growing until 5 or 6, particularly if there are "old" bloodlines in the mix.

My sister's gelding was out of my 16.3h mare (TB/Han) and a 16.2h Dutch sire. He was 15.2-ish for a long time going into his third year, and the summer of his third year he sprung up to about 16.0 1/2.

Keep an eye on your horse's knees- if they still look open, or the horse still looks gangly or not very "warmbloody"/filled out then they probably still have growing to do.

Spectrum.

Comment

She just turned 2 in May. So she is just coming into her 2nd year.
                  I am not sure how to post pictures or I would so you all could see how tall she is now and what your thoughts would be by seeing her.

Comment

Originally posted by halfpassleft View Post
                    She just turned 2 in May. So she is just coming into her 2nd year.
                    I am not sure how to post pictures or I would so you all could see how tall she is now and what your thoughts would be by seeing her.
                    If she just turned 2 in May, she is actually now starting her third year. I agree with the other posters. Just too hard to predict!!

Comment

A string test would be the best way to predict her adult height. One of the old sayings is add 2 hands to a yearling ht and 1 hand to a 2 yr olds ht. Using that old adage, 16.2ish would be her adult height.
                      Epona Farm
                      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I think it also depends greatly on feeding. If the baby was fed for quick growth and kept on the heavy side, she may be closer to done than a horse that was fed for slower growth and kept on the thin side (theory being it reduces risk of OCD).

A clients now 3 year old was your horse's height when he turned two, and now he is a little over 16.2 hands. We expect him to grow some more. His mom is 15.2 and dad is over 17 hands.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

ALL horses don't finish growing until 5 or 6. However, that's not necessarily in height. That's when the growth plates in the spine close.

The string test is not very reliable either. My three-year-old's string test said he'd be 16.3. He's still 16.0 hands but is now longer. He was a 78 now he's an 80.

Another way is to do it algebraically. That would make your filly end up at about 16.1. But there's no guarantee of that.

The algebraic formula is: 62.5 inches over x is equivalent to 96/100, since a 2 y.o. is 96% of adult height.

62.5 inches/x ~ 96/100 = 65.1 inches
                          Laurie Higgins
                          www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

i would think the 16.1-16.2 mark.somewhere between sires and mares height.has your filly leveled out right now or is she higher in one end or the other.
                            i have a 3 yr old dutch(oldenburg) thats 15.2 currently and was about 15 hh at 2.
                            his sire was 16.2 and mare was a large hunter mare at 14.2..so suffice to say i have been asking as well about my guys height around da barn these days and i get mostly told around 16.hh or 16.1 at most, especially if he is more looking like the mother or father which seems to make a difference in height predictions.and this is besides doing the string test
                            http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

is there a prize for this guessing game?
                              I'd say most 15.2 hh, 2 year olds will get to be 16.1 +/- an inch.
                              But not my mare- see below:

According to the string test, my 17.3+ hh gelding should only be 17 hh. And his bum is that height. And my mare should've finished at 16 hh, but she decided 15.2 was a more suitable height and stayed there since she was 2 1/2 years old. It worked for my gelding, who finished at 16 hh at age 5 as predicted by the string test at age 1.
                              "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Bloodlines?
                                Some sires tend to produce offspring whose height is mostly influenced by the dam. Some not.

Without this info I'd guess 16 / 16.1.
                                "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

Originally posted by horsetales View Post
                                  A string test would be the best way to predict her adult height. One of the old sayings is add 2 hands to a yearling ht and 1 hand to a 2 yr olds ht. Using that old adage, 16.2ish would be her adult height.
                                  I have a 6 year old that sticks a solid 17.1. In the fall of his 4 year old year (so 18 months ago), he was just 16.0 hands.

That being said, he is out of one of our marelines that throws big horses but his sire is not known for adding height.

Genetics, first/second foal, feeding and so many other factors go into 'finished' size. If there are any adult (like age 7 +) full siblings, that might give you an idea of where she'll finish up. But we have 2 full sisters and one is hoping to finish at 16.0 hands and the other is 16.2 and just 3. Height varies greatly from horse to horse.

I've had 0 luck with a string test FWIW, so I have no faith in that prediction method. The now 6 year old/17.1 horse string tested to 16 hands and looked finished at 4 and was a first foal, so all signs pointed to him being 16.0-16.1, right? He's a whole lot taller than that now!
                                  Watermark Farm
                                  Blog
                                  Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                                  You Tube Channel

Comment

She runs off the W lines. So Wodan/Widukind.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by EiRide View Post
                                      My guess would be around 16 hands, but then, they can do very odd things with growth.
                                      That would be my guess too (without any more info).
                                      Now in Kentucky

Comment

Originally posted by halfpassleft View Post
                                        She runs off the W lines. So Wodan/Widukind.

Hope this helps...
                                        Oh dear. W line hanos can be quite ginroumous. My World Cup gelding was the one who finished at 17.3+ And he was 16.3 when I bought him at 4 1/2 years old.

For your sake I hope she doesn't get that big.
                                        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Working...
                                        X