• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

KY Gov. signs horse protection bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KY Gov. signs horse protection bill

removed
    Last edited by spirithorse; Jun. 8, 2010, 08:12 PM.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

what are you saying?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Can we please stop looking to the show ring for the 'abuse'?

Yes they have their horrid accounts, but how much of it is torture and leads to death?

The real abuse is happening in the backyards of peoples homes. Starving horses because, "George didn't pay his board bill this month" THAT is true suffering.

Horses without shade in 110 degrees! Horses living in a dark barn alone with feet long enough to deform their legs for life.

If we want to focus our efforts on abuse...

Educate the masses.
      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

just informing

Just posting what I found.
        One blogger makes a claim and you can read it.
        Now the Gov. signs a bill that really has no teeth regarding any kind of abuse.
        I agree that abuse is in the back yard as well as the show ring, and on the race track too.
        However, alot of abuse is unintentional because people just lack knowledge.
        www.hartetoharte.org

Comment

I am unclear on a couple of things:

What exactly is your point and what makes this purely Dressage?

Comment

• Original Poster

THE POINT IS !!!!!!

So dressage has no abuse in it?
            Have you ever acquired knowledge as to what a tetanic contraction is and the impact it has upon the gait of the horse?

As previously stated, just informing.
            www.hartetoharte.org

Comment

so in the giant scope of things the government should be concerned first about WEG competition horses... dressage to be exact since this is specifically in the dressage forum... and not first to the horses who are starving out in pastures with no shelters?

Whether you or I or someone here believes it is abusive to practice particular dressage movements (as you now purport that dressage in ITSELF is abusive) I'm sure if you brought a WEG horse case up to a judge who is seeing all of the neglect and poor conditions cases where horses are pooping worms and becoming infertile because their insides are being digested... they would dismiss it quickly... and maybe infer that you were wasting their time.

First things first...
              http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
              "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Comment

I think Spirithorse really, really needs to get out and volunteer for a rescue, a REAL rescue like the United States Equine Rescue League. They always need help and then you will stop complaining about the WEG dressage horses. When a horse takes it's last breath in your arms because his body has digested his heart because there was no food, then I think you'll put things in perspective. If you are so concerned, then get out and DO something for the horses that are truly suffering.
                Last edited by dwblover; Jun. 8, 2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

.. I think spirithorse is experiencing a tetanic contraction as he's writing his post!
                  Last edited by siegi b.; Jun. 9, 2010, 08:26 AM.
                  Siegi Belz
                  www.stalleuropa.com
                  2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                  Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

Lack vs. Lax

This. . .

Definition of lax from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary with audio pronunciations, thesaurus, Word of the Day, and word games. ... 2 : deficient in firmness : not stringent <lax control> <a lax foreman>; 3 a : not tense, firm, or rigid : slack

You want lax not lack.
                    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Originally posted by dwblover View Post
                      I think Spirithorse really, really needs to get out and volunteer for a rescue, a REAL rescue like the United States Equine Rescue League. They always need help and then you will stop complaining about the WEG dressage horses. When a horse takes it's last breathe in your arms because his body has digested his heart because there was no food, then I think you'll put things in perspective. If you are so concerned, then get out and DO something for the horses that are truly suffering.
                      Agreed. I have worked with rescue groups and if you want to see real abuse, that is where you go. Starved horses, barely able to move and then the 'owner' suddenly shows up to claim them. Owner was out of town, person who as supposed to feed did not, blah, blah. Heard the same story several times. Horses with maggots in wounds, the list goes on.

Spirithorse, IMO, is focused on dressage horses in that this person, from what I remember from past posts, practices equine massage therapy or something to that effect thus it why the focus on muscle contractions. Thus possibly more focused on personal interest rather than the big problem, horse neglect.

How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show? I have dug horses out of mud, removed barb wire from their flesh and got them back to health. I think looking at the real problem would be better, not focusing on your specific 'skill' and how it could relate to 'abused' show horses ( myotherapy). At least show horses get better health care than most humans and have regular meals.
                      Last edited by 4xhoof; Jun. 8, 2010, 10:10 PM. Reason: trying to be more clear

Comment

Originally posted by spirithorse View Post
                        Have you ever acquired knowledge as to what a tetanic contraction is and the impact it has upon the gait of the horse?

Why would I want to know what a 'tetanic' contraction is?

And are you implying that abuse is exclusive to dressage?
                        Is that all dressage riders, or some?

You did not answer the question:
                        What is your point of view on the law
                        and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum....

Comment

• Original Poster

Health &amp; welfare of the horse requires maximum integrity

"Why would I want to know what a 'tetanic' contraction is?"

It is the number one muscle injury in horses and leads to broken bones, etc......

"And are you implying that abuse is exclusive to dressage?
                          Is that all dressage riders, or some?"

Never IMPLIED that abuse is exclusive to dressage. And never IMPLIED all dressage riders.

"You did not answer the question:
                          and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum...."

The law appears not to have much enforcement capabilities, though it is fundamentally sound idea. I placed here for educational purposes to inform.

"How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show?"

I have done my share and more, and I don't need to explain.
                          Abuse is not just starvation, bad feet, lack of water,...abuse can be the imposition of physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems without mending the problem we impose.
                          Abuse can be confining the horse to a 12 x 12 stall for 20 to 21 hours a day because that is all the space we can provide...it is the equivilant of a jail cell for a human.
                          www.hartetoharte.org

Comment

[I
                            "You did not answer the question:
                            and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum...."

The law appears not to have much enforcement capabilities, though it is fundamentally sound idea. I placed here for educational purposes to inform.

"How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show?"

I have done my share and more, and I don't need to explain.
                            Abuse is not just starvation, bad feet, lack of water,...abuse can be the imposition of physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems without mending the problem we impose.
                            Abuse can be confining the horse to a 12 x 12 stall for 20 to 21 hours a day because that is all the space we can provide...it is the equivilant of a jail cell for a human.
                            Still, spirithorse, you have not clarified why you felt the dressage forum needed to be informed?

If you just wanted to provide the horse community with this information, why not Horse care? Why dressage? It seems you picked the dressage forum in that, and I belive this is farily common knowledge by those who are regulars here, that you have some strong, less than positive, feelings about typical dressage training. Nobody is going to listen when you present such a negative and condesending manner. You claim we all need to share knowledge but your knowledge seems to be quite one sided and based upon your own dressage ideology ( for lack of a better word)

It is generally better to get people to see things your way if you are pleasant and interesting. Not bitter, and rude.

Also since you state that you practice myotherapy on equines, it is easy to see why you feel that these 'physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems' are of interest to you. But it think calling such things abusive is a stretch. If fact, most show people I know have their horses massaged regularly.

Comment

I suspect that's what his Mum's uterus did when tasked with delivering his fat head.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X