• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Updated pictures of Sky, the horse I rescued at Auction....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated pictures of Sky, the horse I rescued at Auction....

I know it has only been one week, but I think he has made a HUGE improvement, not only in his looks, but he has gotten soooooo sweet, and he has started trusting me so much more. Anyhow I just wanted to post new pictures of him:

first of all here he was the day after we got him (Last Saturday)
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/sky.jpg

Today before I took his blanket off (I just thought he looked so cute with the blanket on):
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyblanket2week1.jpg

And without the blanket:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyside1week1.jpg
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyfrontweek1.jpg

And then I thought this was just a cute photo of him and our Quarter Horse stallion sharing a moment together:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyandscotty.jpg

So do you think he has made some good improvements? I can't wait to get another week behind us.

Is that seriously just a ONE WEEK difference? WOW! Nice job, he look great!
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Comment

I would never have thought that was just one week's difference! He looks great!

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes it is just one week. I could not believe how much better he looked when I took off the blanket. I have not seen him the entire week because he has been blanketed so today was the first time I saw the drastic change. I am so excited because that means he was thin just due to them not taking good care of him and not due to him just being that thin type horse. They had told me they never could get weight on him, but I proved it is possible in just one week. I am so excited about the change. I will post new pictures in another week.

Comment

Wow, his coat looks so nice in the newer pics! what a lucky horse!!

So have you done any dressage or english riding on him yet?

Comment

• Original Poster

No not yet, I am just starting to learn about all this new type of riding, I have always done western riding so this is new to me. But I did find a Dressage trainer that lives just a few streets over from me and I will be taking him to her place later this week for our first evaluation. I am so excited and nervous

Comment

Sky looks great!

Sky looks amazing....much better after a week of good nutrition.
              I also rescued a very underweight horse. Our vet estimated he was a 2.0 on the Henneke Body Condition Scale. By the end of 1 week he had gained 60#. by the end of 1 month he had gained over #120. He is now close to his ideal weight of #1400 after 2 mths and looks like a different horse. Take weekly photos and weight tape him to track his progress...you will be amazed how different he will look in a very short time. Best of luck with your new addition.

Comment

HE LOOKS GREAT!!! I can't believe thats one week either. Good job. We need more horsepeople willing to take care of their animals like you Congrats and Good luck with him.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks . I am very pleased with him. I am thinking I probably will not keep him just mostly because I have enough horses and I don't know anything about this type of riding and I would like to take some lessons on a horse that knows his stuff lol.
                  Plus I am breeding my Quarter Horse mare to a Friesian stallion next year and plan on keeping this foal for learning Dressage.
                  I am breeding this mare:
                  http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Sissy%20010.jpg

To this stallion in 08. I am very excited about the foal. I have always wanted a Friesian cross.
                  http://www.centaurfarms.com/images/4...applewood1.jpg

Comment

He looks great!

Is your buckskin out of Scottish Bart?
                    www.ctannerjensen.com
                    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
                    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Comment

• Original Poster

No. Scotty is actually not a buckskin, he has been tested and does not carry the creme gene, he is an Amber Champagne, and he is registered with the ICHR and the AQHA, but his AQHA papers say he is Buckskin but then under the marking section it says this stallion carries the Champagne dilution. Anyhow we are really big into the champagne Quater Horses, cutting and roping lines. So Sky needless to say is something very new to us lol.

Comment

Absolutely incredible that that is just a one week difference. Looks like a totally different horse. Just goes to show what good feed can do. Wow. And kudos to you.

Plus, lovely mare also. Looks like you may have a nice Friesian cross for '09. Good luck with that!
                        Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
                        See G2's blog
                        Photos

Comment

He looks great after only a week!! And I like your little dog I see in the background!

Comment

Great job! Isn't it fun??

I have a buckskin QH gelding who is very blocky, and the "semi-rescue" horse I got is also a chestnut with a blaze (wider, and he has 1 1/2 blue eyes). But if I took a pic of my two, it would look very like yours of your horse and the stallion!

I didn't take "before" pics of my guy, and I really wish now that I had. Keep a good record of his "recovery", you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Keep up the good work!
                            "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Good Job!
                              "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

WOW!

I commend you!

You can see it in his eyes that he knows that he is "home" now!

Comment

Amazing! What's your secret? Looks shiny too- like he's been getting a lot of good grooming. Very cute- congrats!

Comment

• Original Poster

My secret is.....

Lots of love! Just spending time with him and petting him, talking to him, now for feeding he gets two flakes of alfalfa in the moning one in the afternoon and two in the evening, then two scoops of Equine Junior grain in the morning and again in the evening. And he has had a blanket on for a full week so that is probably what helps his coat to looks so good. Also he was wormed just after we bought him so that might have something to do with it also. He is so sweet and gentle.

But I got that new english bridle I bought on ebay for him, so I am going out to try it on here in a little bit. I will take pictures of it one him. I won't ride today way to windy. But tomorrow is suppose to be pretty so I am hoping to get some riding pictures tomorrow. I will post them.

Comment

He looks MARVELOUS!!!
                                      www.specialhorses.org
                                      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok here are the pictures of the new bridle on Sky:
                                        http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skybridle1.jpg
                                        http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skybridal2.jpg

So what I would like to know is, what did I buy in this Bridle? They advertised it as a trining bridle and it is easy to change out bits, that was what I really liked about it. But what kind of Bridle is it, I mean does it have a name? I am calling it an English Bridle but I don't know if that is correct.

And I know I said I was not going to ride him today because it was so windy and cold, but after I got the bridle on he was so good while I adjusted it and so quite, I thought I wonder if he would allow Bare Back riding, so I walked him over to a bale of hay and climbed up on him, he just stood quite and then we walked around the pen. I spent more time on him this time trying to figure out what all he knows, He side passes, and does a half pass, I have seen some dressage horses don't know what you call it. He is a little rusty on it but just a few lessons and he should have it done pretty good I think. I only walked him today, I don't want to push him to hard right away. I wish I could have gotten pictures of me riding him, but I was the only one out there and did not have anyone to work the camera. But tomorrow I will get pictures and post them . He is just turning out to be this awsome horse!

OH also do I have the bridle on him right? Should it be tighter or looser? I am only use to western bridles so this one kind of confused me lol.

Comment

Working...
                                        X