• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why all the flashes??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the flashes??

Why is it that the options for padded black snaffle bridles with OUT a flash are sooo limited? Why does EVERYONE ride in a flash?

And lastly, where can I find a good one?

Because the flash keeps the mouth closed and assists you with keeping the contact steady to the bit. Less jiggly in the mouth. This is not a bad thing. Why would you not want one? Contrary to popular belief if is not to force poor horsie's mouth closed.

Comment

Passier makes some snaffle bridles with buckle-on flashes....so you can actually remove the whole thing.
      Nina's Story
      Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Try Bobby's Bridles. Available without. Very, very nice quality, as nice/nicer than my Kieffer bridle, but cost less.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Dior View Post
          Because the flash keeps the mouth closed and assists you with keeping the contact steady to the bit. Less jiggly in the mouth. This is not a bad thing. Why would you not want one? Contrary to popular belief if is not to force poor horsie's mouth closed.
          I think the old thought that the flash should be really tight is possibly why people think they should use it to force the mouth closed. Even when it isn't tight it allows for less movement on the horse's part.
          The fact that my horse makes it extremely difficult to snug up a flash or figure 8 tells me that she doesn't like it. Since getting rid of it we have a much happier relationship and she goes softly into the bridle.

Threeday: Get a custom bridle. They are usually the same price or less than a good off the rack bridle.
          You can always add a flash later if you need one.

Comment

• Original Poster

renvers, I checked eqtack and couldn't find a padded model that was solid black. All they had was black with some garish color for padding.

Honey, who do you recomend for a custom?

Thanks!

Comment

I believe that for any of Stubbens padded bridles you can get them with a french, drop, or flash noseband. I got a stubben bridle through a local tackshop- they had the model I liked but not the size, and when I asked if they could add one in the size I needed in their next order, they also asked the type of reins I wanted, bridle & padding color, and noseband style. Someone else I know did the same thing but wanted a passier or kieffer (forget which). I don't think it's an uncommon request for shops to "swap" nosebands when ordering bridles, but unless someone asks for something different, they'll just stock whatever sells (in this case its flashes).
              Otherwise just keep your favorite bridle and just order a new french noseband, keep the flash noseband & just remove the strap, or the little loop that attaches the flash to the bridle can be cut off (the quick & sometimes-later-regretted option) or be removed someone who actually knows how to work with leather/strap goods.

Comment

Why would you not want one?
                Because my horses have pretty heads, and I don't think flashes are attractive, especially since my horses don't need them. Nothing turns me off on a pretty horse photograph or painting faster than a flash with the skin bulging out around it, saw one in a stallion ad, yuck. Ew. JMO
                I lost count of the times I’ve given up on you
                But you make such a beautiful wreck you do

Comment

think the old thought that the flash should be really tight is possibly why people think they should use it to force the mouth closed. Even when it isn't tight it allows for less movement on the horse's part.
                  The fact that my horse makes it extremely difficult to snug up a flash or figure 8 tells me that she doesn't like it. Since getting rid of it we have a much happier relationship and she goes softly into the bridle.

Blixen Finecke ue to say: If the horse runs around the pasture with the the mouth open use a flash/drop, but, if he does it only when ridden; figure out why he is opening the mouth; My horses were also happier and just as soft without , but, certain judges seemed to "take " offense; one told me to look a tthe video to see how much my horse was "yawing " , but, he was not, instead was softly chewing , in fact he gave me the wonderful elastic, "alive " feelingthat morning , throughout the test; in fact, a judge watching from the ring "nextdoor, "next door" came over to ask me about the horse, it was a very cool, damp morninfg at his first event, and he was a star!
                  breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Ames View Post
                    Blixen Finecke ue to say: If the horse runs around the pasture with the the mouth open use a flash/drop, but, if he does it only when ridden; figure out why he is opening the mouth
                    Does he have a solution for a horse that lifts it's upper lip and shows you it's teeth? Horse does it in the pasture when he's having fun, on the cross ties, on trail rides, on cross country and the only place anyone seems to care - in dressage. The last judge said that he was baring his teeth at her: 4 - I think he was just smiling for the camera Last time I let anyone take pictures of my dressage

Comment

Order the Dover Saddlery catalog (or go on-line to look at bridles immediately). They have a zillion bridles in stock. Their complete print catalog (think the old Sears catalog, only for horses) is a great resource to have kicking around and has pages and pages of bridles, with most of the top brands. For some reason, when I see the bridles on the printed page, I can view all the little differences better than I can on the computer screen. They also seem to give a lot more information about their products in their big catalog than on-line (or maybe it is just easier to access).

If you want to side by side compare all sorts of bridles, it is the best way I know of to do that.
                      Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

Almost every bridle manufacturer makes flash-less (french) nosebands for their double bridles. And almost all of them will sell a noseband separately. Go find one you like & ask to special order it. Or - just have a saddle repair person remove the flash from your existing noseband.
                        "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

I dislike flash bridles too and only use them to start my youngsters. Go to VTO Saddlery - they have a clearance sale of Courbettes without flashes, and you can also order several Stubbens sans flash.

www.vtosaddlery.com
                          Donerail Farm
                          www.donerailfarm.com
                          http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

Because I am tired of seeing horses with their jaws tight and clenched against the flash. I am tired of seeing horses who are biting and chomping and resisting yet made to look like they are "softly chewing" because of the flash. I am tired of the many so-called BNTs and dressage trainers who have told me to use a flash on my horse.

My own horse has a history of being tight, tense, short-stridded behind and very mouthy on the bit(In a bad way). I told many of those BNTs that I was not going to just tie her mouth shut and was going to teach her to relax and softly accept the bit. Finally one day at a clinic a trainer convinced me to use a flash on her. Without being able to chomp on the bit she found other ways to show her tenseness...such as refuseing to move, lathering sweat, bucking, shaking and other. I immediatly took it off and spent hours trying to calm her down again. Needless to say I have never used one sence and a year and a half later the same mare tracks up beautifully, is perfectly relaxed even in show-settings and goes with her mouth shut except for the occasionaly soft chewing (and nearly always has slightly white "lipstick").

My own experience has led me to watch other horses and I have noticed much of the same. While most horses don't react quite as violently as my own, I have seen many horses who, with the flash on just brace their entire heads against the bridle to make up for their rider's harsh hands or seat. The horses I have seen who go beautifully and well in a flash hardly seem to need it.

IMHO the flash is just another type of gadget or Tie-down meant to fix the horse in a certain "wanted" position that short-cuts good training. I send kudos to the OP and good luck on finding a good one (I am using a cheapy sale-bridle so I'm not the one to recamend where to find a good one).
                            Team Awesome fo sho!

Comment

Buy a padded double and remove the bradoon strap. They unbuckle and slide out, no biggie.
                              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Jerry's Harness makes beautiful bridles and you can choose the noseband without a flash. http://jerrysharnessshop.com/
                                "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Why? Because virtually all the ODGs and BNTs have always used either a dropped noseband or flash noseband until the horse goes into the double bridle. So think of this before you condemn these sorts of nosebands altogether. Unless you want to believe that the masters don't know what they are doing.

Some say that it is to keep the bit steadier in the horse's mouth. If the bit moves around less, it is kinder and gentler and the horse is more willing to take up a nice steady contact. The horse also doesn't need to think about what is just bit "noise" and what is an aid.

I like to use a flash on young and green horses to stop bit evasions before they begin. Bad habits like hanging the tongue out, putting the tongue over the bit, crossing the jaws and opening the mouth are a lot easier to prevent than they are to stop once they have begun. When schooling young horses, it is necessary to use more rein aid than you will need with a trained horse, and horses will generally go through a process of seeking to evade the action of the bit until they understand and accept the aids.
                                  "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the good replies guys! The links are great, and the discussion is even better.

Does anyone know about the Nunn Finer bridles? I found this one and it looks nice, but the price seems a little too nice...
                                    http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductD...roductCode=373

Comment

yes, the Nunn Finer bridle is extremely nice- it is Amish made (although I think its very pricey because I can walk into said Amish store and pay close to 1/2)
                                      "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

A friend bought a nice bridle from Dressage Extensions with a removable flash. The little keeper snapped on. Looked nice with the flash, absolutely no sign of it when removed. Sorry, can't remember the brand.

Comment

Working...
                                        X