• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Helmet question for jswan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet question for jswan

I did not want to ask about this in the other thread, as it is off topic and I have given my condolences already. To me, there can be no "tsk tsk" ing or I told you so after a tragedy, but there can be reminders of the preciousness of life and learning.

But, Jswan wrote:

You wrote, "eliminate the possibility". The very sad truth is that helmets will not reduce the chance of serious head injury. They only reduce/mitigate minor head injuries
    Do you have a reference for this? I'd be interested, as it is not something I've heard before (most of my helmet research has been in motorcycle/bicycle area, but certainly in that area helmets mitigate major injury).

Knowledge is power
    Last edited by Ambrey; Nov. 16, 2007, 10:16 AM.

Originally posted by J Swan View Post
    The very sad truth is that helmets will not reduce the chance of serious head injury. They only reduce/mitigate minor head injuries.
    I'm glad you started a new thread for this as I've got the exact same questions.

Seems more like people who are wearing helmets have only minor head injuries, so I guess you could say that the helmet only mitigated an already minor injury. On the other hand, maybe if they hadn't been wearing a helmet, the "minor" injury would actually have been major.

I think it is ridiculous to assume that the wool has been pulled over our eyes and that helmets (bike, motorcycle, horse-back riding) don't protect our heads from serious injury. We know they can protect from neck and back injuries, but they are designed entirely to protect from serious head injury. I would really like to know where your information came from.

Comment

Having taken a bad fall (horse hung a leg and flipped) that resulted in a cracked helmet and only a minor concussion, I can only say I'm sorry, that's simply ridiculous. My helmet saved my life and yes, it definitely "reduced the chance of a serious injury."

Comment

No - just anecdotal and personal observation. Actually - the helmet manufacturers will probably have the information you need.

You'd want to ask someone like Deltawave, who is a physician, or someone who can point you to the actual studies done on helmets (or other safety equipment)

I've noticed on this board that some people treat helmets as if they completely eliminate the possibility of head trauma. As I've seen for myself - if the accident is bad enough - or medical treatment delayed for some reason - the injury can be severe. Even fatal. Some injuries are crushing injuries. Some cause swelling that cannot be controlled. Some that might have been fatal result in permanent brain damage requiring 24/7 care.

I don't automatically assume that a person injured in a car accident wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I don't make similar assumptions about a rider in a riding accident. People think - riders falls and hits head. Therefore the helmet would have prevented any injury. But people get dragged, kicked, crushed, run into trees, impaled, all kinds of things. In the head.

I question those who think a helmet is a miracle product that will keep them safe. I always wear one, but do not think for one second that it eliminates the possibility of severe head trauma. Just like a safety vest does not eliminate the possibility of spinal or other trauma. (some people do think those vests offer that level of protection!

edited to add - you are taking my posts completely out of context. I was responding only to a poster who stated that helmets "ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY" of head injury.

I too have fallen and cracked my helmet. It acted as designed and REDUCED the level of injury I would have sustained had I not been wearing it. However, I still suffered an injury. No manufacturer that I'm aware of has made the claim that these helmets will eliminate the possibility of a head injury - even a severe one - when worn.

There are many types of accidents - and they are all different. The accident I witnessed in which a severe head injury was sustained was by a person wearing a certified helmet. And yes, there were those that were surprised that the guy got hurt - because helmets were supposed to PREVENT injury.

They can't prevent injury. They can only reduce or mitigate it. I'd never ride without my helmet. But I'm not dumb enough to think I can't be injured while wearing it.
        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Because I was not wearing a helmet when I took a header, I fractured my skull in seven places, fractured my jaw, had all the cartilage ripped up the right side of my nose, blew out my eardrum and had blood and csf pouring out of my nose and ear. Twelve years later and I still have vertigo, cannot smell through my left nostril and have terrible tinnitus, plus some other problems. Even now I am having a daily struggle, since I started Jenny Craig three weeks ago and there is more sodium in the food than I usually have, and salt really effects my vertigo.

Had I been wearing a helmet, I would still have been concussed, but the extent of the injuries would have been greatly reduced. This was told to me time and again by the doctors who treated me.

Even wearing a helmet cannot always save someone. But I do not chance riding without one. However, I do view it as an individual decision (while quietly hoping that anyone who chooses to go sans helmet does not go through what I go through).

Comment

• Original Poster

I've noticed on this board that some people treat helmets as if they completely eliminate the possibility of head trauma. As I've seen for myself - if the accident is bad enough - or medical treatment delayed for some reason - the injury can be severe. Even fatal. Some injuries are crushing injuries. Some cause swelling that cannot be controlled. Some that might have been fatal result in permanent brain damage requiring 24/7 care.
            So what you meant to say was not that they do not reduce the chance, but that they do not eliminate the chance.

I think the wording here is very important. They certainly reduce the chance, as they absorb a significant amount of energy. But, just as a car accident can be so severe that a seatbelt/airbag/child safety seat cant save the occupants, the same is true of helmets.

My old helmet has a nice broad scrape on the side left by my horse's hoof. I don't really want to think what that would have done to my head.

I believe any physician who has ever seen a head trauma case will tell you- wear your helmet, please.

I had a boyfriend in college who had survived a traumatic brain injury. He was in a car accident, he was wearing his seatbelt- but he armed himself with knowledge and did speaking at local schools about TBI and how to do all you can to avoid what he went through. He was a rabid helmet advocate. And, sure enough, one day I found him on the road surrounded by ambulances- he'd been in a bike accident, and because he was wearing his helmet had only a concussion and bruising. He became even more of an advocate after that.

He would tell the kids stories about having to learn how to talk and walk all over again, about living with seizures, about being in a coma. Some pretty powerful stuff.

Comment

I too would like some more information regarding helmet safety. I do hope that Deltawave chimes in. My BF (we'll call him B) had a guy call him up looking for hay. The guy is a neighbor (of sorts) and lives about 5 miles away. Over the summer he was air lifted from his home after an accident. B found out he was kicked in the head while cleaning out his horse's hooves (or picking something up off the ground). Regardless, he's lucky to be alive - was kicked in the forehead. Had he had a helmet on while doing this ground would, he probably wouldn't be here because he would have likely been kicked in the face.

So, this guy tells B that he'll never wear a helmet again. Even while riding, mind you this accident occurred while on the ground. B tells this guy he's gotta talk to me... because I'm always working around and behind my horses. I trust the one guy a lot (Gus) the younger one, not so much. They know I'm behind them, and whenever possible I always work off to the side. However, sometimes when you're doing things, such as braiding tails, you need to stand directly behind the horse, to get that nice symmetrical braid, right?

Going on... B tells me he'll never, ever wear a helmet when riding horses. Cause well, it can cause more harm then good. There's always the risk of that happening... just like the freak accidents when wearing a seatbelt actually killed the person - and the coronor's report stated the person would have lived had they not been wearing a seatbelt. It happens, but it's more likely, IMO, that you'll survive better and with less injuries, if you're wearing a seatbelt or in this case, a helmet.

I told B, cause he may be the one, that my kids will always wear helmets when riding horses. When they turn 18, it's their decision but I hope that they'll continue wearing them. He said "Nope. They won't wear a helmet." I'll even go as far, if it comes to that, to get information from different surgeons and ER doctors to back up my point. Who knows though?

So, yeah, I'd love more information hearing why helmets aren't good. I'll never not wear mine. I love it. And hate it. But, if you have a good fitting helmet, it shouldn't be an issue. Plus, I'd rather not be brain dead and live to be old, then be living as a vegetable because of being just irresponsible and stupid. JMHO.

So, please Deltawave, chime in. I need some ammo!!!
              Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
              See G2's blog
              Photos

Comment

Professional editor and formerly in the consumer product safey area here chiming in on the wording. Yes, Ambrey, the wording is important, and yours is not quite precise either. Use of a helmet can reduce the severity of a head injury, not the chance of one occurring. As any ER nurse or doctor can tell you, even a minor, seemingly innocuous blow to the head causes some amount of injury (note the bump on the head I gave myself this very morning on a kitchen cabinet ... I have a headache from that little knock!). A properly designed helmet will dissipate the forces contacting the skull and, in most cases, lessen the resulting injury. It does not affect the chance of an injury-causing incident. Follow?

And statistics such as you expressed interest in are available via FOIA from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, as well as from ASTM and NIST. The AMA also tracks ER-treated injuries and has quite a lot of data. There is a developing trend to track cervical spine injuries as they relate to head injuries that I find quite interesting in terms of how it might affect helmet design for all helmet-wearing activities.
                Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                -Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
                  So what you meant to say was not that they do not reduce the chance, but that they do not eliminate the chance.

I think the wording here is very important. They certainly reduce the chance, as they absorb a significant amount of energy. But, just as a car accident can be so severe that a seatbelt/airbag/child safety seat cant save the occupants, the same is true of helmets.

My old helmet has a nice broad scrape on the side left by my horse's hoof. I don't really want to think what that would have done to my head.

I believe any physician who has ever seen a head trauma case will tell you- wear your helmet, please.

I had a boyfriend in college who had survived a traumatic brain injury. He was in a car accident, he was wearing his seatbelt- but he armed himself with knowledge and did speaking at local schools about TBI and how to do all you can to avoid what he went through. He was a rabid helmet advocate. And, sure enough, one day I found him on the road surrounded by ambulances- he'd been in a bike accident, and because he was wearing his helmet had only a concussion and bruising. He became even more of an advocate after that.

He would tell the kids stories about having to learn how to talk and walk all over again, about living with seizures, about being in a coma. Some pretty powerful stuff.
                  That's very sad. The gentleman I wrote of, wearing a helmet, as far as I know - has still not be able to go back to work. Permanent brain damage, finances drained, family under stress..... no matter how you look at these accidents - they are all tragedies.

These days I think we all know enough about these helmets to be wearing one. But - I won't get after someone for not doing so. (adults).

When I read these threads on helmets - there are always folks who seem to imply that these things somehow prevent injuries. I don't think we should have that level of faith in any safety product. To illustrate - there are those that stopped wearing seat belts when airbags came into use. Thinking (wrongly) airbag deployment would prevent injury. Some people found out the hard way that safety equipment doesn't always protect us as much as we'd like. Especially if we fail to follow instructions.

(helmets with loose chin straps, improperly fitted helmets, airbags were designed to work with seatbelts; not as a replacement)

I've seen lots of riding accidents - and I've been on the receiving end of a few myself. I don't notice many folks using safety stirrups, safety vests, neck protection that bull riders wear, etc.

But whenever I ask folks why they don't use that equipment religiously...... I am met with silence.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Wearing a helmet can be the difference between wiping your own butt and needing someone to do it for you. It won't absorb all of the impact, but any reduction in trauma is worth it in my mind. I would rather have a serious concussion than a disabling head injury. I would rather have a mild concussion than a serious one. Etc.

Comment

Being old enough to remember the thin hunt caps of the seventies, I can say that even that rather inadequate shell held on by an elastic strap was a good thing. I can still hear the metallic "think" noise of a horse's shod hoof hitting my helmet - hard - as I lay in the dirt once. So any helmet is better than none.

When I asked a racehorse trainer where the exercise riders bought their helmets, she told me that her daughter, a dressage rider, had been killed when her horse reared in an indoor arena and her unhelmeted head struck a pipe. I immediately wished I hadn't asked, but that is just another story I remember when I go to a dressage clinic and see so many people riding without them.

While in general I appreciate the inherent conservatism and tradition of horse culture, this is one area where a lot of people seem to have a blind spot. Even (or especially) top riders.

Have any comparisons been done of sport helmets across the board? Motorcycle, bicycle, skiing, etc.? A look at the adoption curve in other sports might be informative. A brief glance online showed some statistics on bicycles which says that 80% of white collar urban bike commuters wear them, while only 10% of rural kids who ride to school do. About 50% of bike fatalities are kids under 15. (source: http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm)
                      Publisher, http://www.endurance-101.com
                      Blog: http://blog.seattlepi.com/horsebytes/

Comment

I don't notice many folks using safety stirrups, safety vests, neck protection that bull riders wear, etc.
                        Yet many don't wear helmets. Boggles my mind.

Comment

[quote=appychik;2807936]
                          So, yeah, I'd love more information hearing why helmets aren't good. /quote]

I'd love to know where you read that "helmets aren't good". I certainly never wrote that. Nor would I.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by eqsiu View Post
                            Yet many don't wear helmets. Boggles my mind.

When I was a kid I don't even think they existed. I never saw them for sale until I was an adult - and I said to myself - hey - that's a good idea - and bought one.

But I ask - again - why few to none of folks that wear certified helmets, avail themselves of all the other safety equipment out there. Why continually harp on the helmet thing? You don't mind having helmet hair but you don't want the bulk of a safety vest under your jacket - makes a person look less feminine????? The fact it might stop a broken rib from puncturing your lung, or spleen or liver laceration not good enough?

I don't care about the answer - I'd just like to know why folks blather on about certified helmets - yet don't respond when asked about all the other stuff that's out there. I certainly don't see any photos of folks all trussed up to ride. (except when the rules of their sport require it)

So - for folks that are interested in the never ending helmet debate - why don't you wear or use other safety equipment?
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The only two bad accidents I have seen both riders were using helmets.
                              1. broke his neck and died at the scene no helmet could have saved him.
                              2. A guy got his face kicked in, the helmet did nothing.Needed major surgery.

I have fallen off plenty with helmet and without one. One of my assistents never used a helmet and never got seriously hurt. Walking down the stairs she slipped hit her back and is paralised.

I know it sounds hard but I honestly believe that when your time comes you are going to go one way or another.

Yes people get hurt without an helmet but people wearing one get hurt just the same. So if you want to be safe don't ride.
                              Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Comment

I will start this by saying that I do not always wear a helmet. I know that I should but I began riding enough years ago that helmets were really not much more than decorative, and it was very difficult for me to get used to riding with a helmet all the time. They were hot and uncomfortable. That being said - I always wear a helmet on young horses, green horses, hot horses, horses that I am trying/don't know, etc...

One example for you - when I tried my young horse last spring when I was purchasing him - I watched him go, and was confident that if he would do anything it would be to balk, not buck, rear, or bolt. Neither the owner of the horse or the barn owner (a trainer that I know, so she knows how I ride) asked that I put on a helmet, though I did since I won't ride a green broke 4 year old without one. Within 5 minutes I was on my back in the arena from the horse crow hopping and bucking basically from a standstill. I did not hit my head, but just by pure luck. After making sure I was alright, the one thing that the BO said that stuck with me was - "I'm so sorry that you came off, but thank you for reminding me to insist that anyone trying a horse on my property, even if I know them, needs to wear a helmet."

Moral of the story - wear a helmet. If you have any doubts, just read some stories about people attempting to recover from TBIs. Even mild ones take work and the people are often never 100% better. Give yourself every chance to lessen the chance for serious injury. The same reason that you wear a seatbelt in the car. Will this totally mitigate the possibility that you will get hurt in an accident? No. But will you have a better chance of surviving? Yes.

Comment

• Original Poster

But I ask - again - why few to none of folks that wear certified helmets, avail themselves of all the other safety equipment out there. Why continually harp on the helmet thing? You don't mind having helmet hair but you don't want the bulk of a safety vest under your jacket - makes a person look less feminine????? The fact it might stop a broken rib from puncturing your lung, or spleen or liver laceration not good enough?
                                  Oh, that's easy. Because head injuries are more common, more debilitating, have more long-term consequences, and are more preventable than any other injury.

Because being in a hospital for 5 days doesn't give me the nightmares that having brain damage for a lifetime gives me.

Because my ribs are important, but my brain is who I am.

Because safety vests don't have decades of data showing their effectiveness in preventing injuries.

And because I don't own one yet, but I will

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dutchmike View Post
                                    Yes people get hurt without an helmet but people wearing one get hurt just the same. So if you want to be safe don't ride.
                                    Wow, that's very black and white.

I will tell you one thing about the helmet "debate" that I do not understand. I don't understand how there can be any debate that it is safer to ride with a helmet.

If you choose not to wear one, that's fine. But educate yourself and look at the facts before you choose, rather than ignore them.

This is quoted from an article on Medscape. Link at

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/432438_4

In all published clinical series, including the present report, head injury is the most common cause of serious injury and death.[18-20] In one British study, 50% of hospital admissions after a horse-related injury were due to brain injury.[21] In our 75 patients, 5 died of a head injury, and another 28 survived after a significant head injury. A substantial body of epidemiologic evidence supports the use of approved helmets as a means of preventing brain injury during contact with horses.[22,23]

Comment

So - for folks that are interested in the never ending helmet debate - why don't you wear or use other safety equipment?
                                      Wasn't meaning to harp, I just wonder why you wouldn't complete the package. I must say though, I only use a safety vest if I'm not in a ring. Mainly because I'm lazy. But I have safety stirrups.

Comment

When I read these threads on helmets - there are always folks who seem to imply that these things somehow prevent injuries.
                                        Of course they prevent some injuries, you are trying to make it black and white.

Some things that would have been minor injuries unhelmeted are prevented. Some things that would have been major injuries unhelmeted become minor injuries. Of course some things that would have been major injuries without a helmet are still a major injury.

I don't really think there are many people who have magical faith that a helmet will stop any harm coming to them. There might be some, but others are probably just sloppy writers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X