• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

An update on my Houston (KWPN) 4 year old mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update on my Houston (KWPN) 4 year old mare

I haven't been on here for quite some time, and have just been reading through some old messages from when I was initially looking at my Houston x Gregor mare

So I thought I would do a little update...

She had a few complications because like I hear most Houstons have the ability to be a bit sensitive, she certainly followed suit. She was quite tricky to fit a saddle to and voted with her feet when she was not happy. I tried a WOW on her, and Albion SLK and an Albion Platinum, all of which she desperately hated and left me with a bit of a conundrum.

She went to Michael Peace for a few weeks as I was having difficulty with the 'forwards' with her and she got quite grumpy and tight with me. Michael immediately rode her in his own saddle, a Semiflex GP which she seemed to adore... typical! So the Albion Platinum was sold, and she now has her very own brand new Semiflex dressage saddle which she adores! She still pulls faces when I put it on, but it is literally ears back as it is put on and then she goes back to munching her hay while we fasten the girth and mess about with her so she is quite happy about it all now.

Her ridden work has come on leaps and bounds and I am absolutely thrilled to bits with her... We are aiming for a young horse class this summer, so fingers crossed we keep on track because she is a very special lady.

Has anyone else had issues with Houston horses and saddles?

Have you ever had her back x rayed? She could just be that sensitive to saddle fit, but she sounds like my Oldenburg mare who was diagnosed with kissing spines. Hopefully it's just that she likes the Semiflex, Good luck!
    Kim
    'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

• Original Poster

No, not had her back xrayed because in this Semiflex she is absolutely super and is really working through the back and very soft and rounded. She has regular physio and chiro checks being a baby horse who is throwing hersef around in the field etc and there is no tension in her back and all looking good so far.

If she had not been happy in the semiflex, then I would have looked into having some xrays done of her back, but she is a very sensitive soul in everything, so it doesn't surprise me one bit that she is particular about the fit of the saddle. Plus, she is outstanding to mount and girth up etc, so would have expected some reaction to the riders weight having known a few horses with kissing spines... Did your mare react to anything the rider did once in the saddle? I can wiggle about and fidget once mounted and she doesn't bat an eyelid.

Houston babies seem to have a slightly tricky back conformation (she has high long withers and couple that with a very short flat back it makes things rather difficult) to fit saddles to, I remember someone on here sending me a message explaining such and they were spot on...

Comment

If the saddle fit really well, she would not do anything. If it didn't fit well, or if her back was cold or she didn't get turnout, she would be stiff on her right hind.

I hope your mare doesn't kissing spines. Hopefully as you say, it is just her genetics and the saddle is the solution.
        Kim
        'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Callaway... Not had anything like stiffness and she is not 'cold backed' at all despite the fact I know some Houston horses do have this problem. I ride her from cold every day (ie. no lunging in tack etc just straight in the plate) and there is absolutely no reaction at the moment.

I will keep my eye on her though.

Comment

Welcome to the world of owning houston. Great horses BUTTTT

their backs are ubber sensitive. My boy Texas is like your girl. it doesn't have to do as much with fit as with being cold backed.

We also found when traeted for ulcers he was much better.

I love my horse but i by far have one of the more difficult ones (that cold back also led to issues mounting) we got him to schooling fourth. unfortunatly a soundness issue had him off for a while. Starting him back this summer.
            Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
            www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

Good to hear from you Nevar!
              "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
              ---
              The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

vote for back x-ray

I am pretty sure reading somewhere that many Houston's actually have issues with their spines (kissing spines, "vertebrae OCD" etc) and that leads to all those bucking and rearing tendencies. Some are fine until 3rd level where collection and real use of the back starts and then they begin to rear, buck, balk. If this horse was mine I would go with a back x-ray just to have peace of mind if its clean. And there is lots you can do about stuff like that when its found early. If you wait a long time it might be too late to treat.

Hope its nothing and just a "regular" saddle fit issue!

Comment

Houstons with Kissing Spines AND wobblers

Writing you from my hotel room in Hawaii - ALOHA! :-)

Not to scare you, but I was the owner of one of those Houston's. I imported him as a 3 yr old in 2003, I believe. Not only did he have wobblets and KS, but he also had something wrong in his coccyxial region.

A 4 yr old requiring physio and chiropractic, And being unhappy about saddling would hugely have me concerned. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with your filly, but an exam by a top professional vet Might be in store, considering history.

Her grimace from the saddle could also be ulcers. Imported another horse who in Holland made a face and was also spooky under saddle. Got him home, scoped him, and he had ulcers. Treated him 60 days and was like a new horse.

Good luck with your filly!! I would love to have another Houston and would get one in a heartbeat - but only after neck xrays, mylagrams, and full body MRI prior to import.

Comment

Thanks Eq i've disapeared a bit (Tex hit 'retirement' then i got divorced, my young guy has been in work until this fall when i tore my acl.)

So now i'm motivated to ride and randomly googled Houston nd found this thread (Jetset i think your the one who knows Rebecca right? i think i posted on the HH Forum when you got this girl?)

btw i always said owning houston ws like joining a club you don't know what it's like untl your in. But yet you always wnt to be in it. My drem horse is Texs again. just sound and ideally with out the MOUNTING issue *Sigh* that said now i'm so bloody careful mounting up not many bad things snaek past me. never had a horse give so much but yet be so unpreditcable. Until he was 5 i wasn't sure wed make a go of it. like i said i totally think he is one of the worst THAT way. But yet after that first mount once he was five i could toss kids on him. hack out gallop in fields. IT's n odd mix of personality
                    Krystl
                    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
                    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

My Houston gelding always had cold backed and mounting issues. I got a custom Hennig that fit him well. He and I won regional third level championships, then had to retire him after two colic surgeries led to permanent unsoundness.

His back was x-rayed, no problems.

Comment

My Houston has great spine films, but was very difficult to fit saddle wise (super long high withers, flat back, super uphill). He did develop ulcers that showed up as a crankiness when saddled - but once treated he has been fine. Never any mounting issues. We won CDS Adult Amateurs at 4th and PSG this year.
                        RoseLane Sportponies
                        Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
                        Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
                        Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

My Houston had a mounting problem, too. Taught him clicker training and that helped. Just thought he was ultra sensitive. Physical (no xrays) exam revealed no abnormalities at the time.

Also bolted a lot in the beginning. Gave me the worst bolt of my life of riding a few years shy of 40 years - stand still 0 to 60 balls out bolting - like nobody's business.

Retired him to pasture basically at age 5. Years later had the father of basket surgery in horses, Dr. Barry Grant, diagnose his conditions.

Comment

Working...
                          X