• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Holy Gadgets Batman! Is it REALLY this simple?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Gadgets Batman! Is it REALLY this simple?

HAS to be coincidence, right? I mean, there is no "miracle" pad.

Or is there?

My ThinLine pads arrived today. I was actually pretty dissapointed. A) they were black (I was expecting white) and B) there wasn't much TO them. I had ordered the saddle fitting pads and the insert pads to play with to help lift the back of the Ancient Passier ever-so-slightly. I figured I could always use the shims here and there, and if I liked them, THEN I'd shell out the outrageous amount for the $heep$kin version. (which conviniently has pockets for the rear shims)

I played with them a bit, used artists tape to hold them together and lightly tack them to the Bartl halfpad. Duboiously got on. They're so... *nothing* to them...

Walk was... 'eh. He was pokey and a bit stiff. Not unusual. Beginning trot was no big revelation. Pokey and a bit stiff. Imagine.

Then we cantered.

I have this issue in the Ancient Passier that I slide around, and end up, at times, 'slapping' around at the canter. I think most folks understand what I'm saying. HE's happy in the saddle, but it's big for me, and with the drought, the ground is cement, gaits aren't so springy, my back and hips have been really the pits... it's not been entirely pretty lately. A cashel lift pad helped some, but not *enough* (so it's not *just* the lift aspect of it, is what I'm getting at)

I sat, quietly, softly following seat... almost NO jarring at all. Canter was soft, uphill and just yummy.

Must be a fluke. I mean, we had a GREAT school on Sunday. (though I could not, admittedly, sit the trot.) Yest'dy off. Fluke.

But then, since his back was now supple and he was more warmed up, we moved back to trot work. And I could SIT it. Without a heck of a lot of effort. The sitting trot we'd found before, that is just the kind you can sit all day and play with, but that we'd lost along the way this year.

Now, we HAD a great ride on Sunday. After some not-so-much-great rides last week. But it was good. Big, stretchy, reachy trot. Some better contact & submission.

So I'm arguing with myself here. It's just COINCIDENCE, isn't it? I mean, it's a breakthrough I've been working towards all summer, since we first got The Abundance of Forward Trot.

It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?

I ended up riding an hour, without even realising it. Playing a LOT. Seeing if the sitting trot was a fluke. If the canter was a fluke. Building the lovely slower (dare I say slightly collected? ) trot to a medium--STILL SITTING IT--and bringing it back.

I can't say his gaits were any better, if anything, they were softer, but not bigger. Contact was happier. Suppleness and submission were there. Lately I've been exhausted and spent around 40 minutes and really have to be creative and dedicated to get closer to 50 or an hour for condition's sake. Today I looked at the watch and it was 50 and I was really surprised.

So tell me it's just coincidence. That it happened to just all come together today.

Really, tell me that, because I'm about to go to work and sign up for 20 or so hours of OT so I can afford the $heep$kin version. Even if it does have the rolled back and I hate that.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Told ya

PS I wouldn't consider it a 'gadget'.
    PPS- you can order them in white too
    Last edited by OnyxThePony; Oct. 2, 2007, 03:38 PM. Reason: ppsing

Comment

Coincidence? I think not!

I had a very similar experience when I got mine. I only have the halfpad in the ultra thin. No shims or pockets. Just a floppy piece of white "rubber".

Made a visible difference in the way I ride. I'm now convinced that it's magic.

P.S. Don't regret having the black one -- I have a white one that is now just dull and dingy (sp?). But it sits under my saddle, so no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by pintopiaffe View Post
        It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?
        It can. Try to put a tiny pebble in your boots and go run - see the difference - now tell me if the tiny pebble makes a difference?

PS: when using the pads, make sure that you clean extra good horse's back under them to avoid getting the "heat bumps" on horse's back that makes horse's back sore from using a pad

Comment

Yes it can- when i first saw them at the trade show i passed them a million time going "ooh god yet another pad" i finally got wrangled into stopping (i think there was candy involved" and my jaw DROPPED at seeing the golf ball.
          I ordered some- and they gave me a demo pad. At the time i rode just on my cotton pad with nothing else- custom fit saddle- princess and the pea type horse... put it on and VOILA he went FANTASTIC.... ok i'm thining COULD just be that it's a shock absorbing pad right??
          Put gel pad on next day- nope felt the same as with no pad. (of course checking saddle fit)
          Put thin line back on WENT fantastic. . . i did this for 10 days back a nd forth between all the pads i could get my hands on- I sat quieter, i FELT better- my BACK didn't hurt as much. . . ANd my saddle stayed more centered at the mount (which if you have heard my stories you know what that ment for this horse!)

My trainer (and good friend) won't use em on the young horses because "once they learn how good it can be they get REALLY cranky if they don't get it one day!"

Now do i think these are the 'bees knees" yes- and i think there are other pads that are Very good as well (sheepskin for one). BUt what i love the most of these is how little it affects the saddle fit (vs say the Cavallo pads- which Do affect fit- but are fantastic pads as well!)

PS i have a black one- prefer it over the white- it blends in with the SADDLE. if i had a brown saddle i'd go for a white one to go with teh numnah/pad (ie jump saddle) but for Dq's in a black saddle i always recommend the black ones
          Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
          www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

WELL

You have now all convinced me that I need to buy one (or more) of these wondrous, magical, life improving pads that do your laundry and even make you breakfast in the morning.

So who has the best prices online?
            Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
            Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Comment

I tried one and saw no difference. In eight horses.

Now, a Mattes pad? Oh yes.
              "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
              ---
              The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

www.aretesaddlery.com

is the best I've found, though sometimes you can do better on Ebay.

And Nevar, that's the only thing... my saddle for this guy is brown (the Ancient Passier) so it does contrast and 'show'. But not much. Right now I'm using the inserts over the Bartl 1/2 pad with carpet tape to hold it all together.

I wonder if I can convince them to make me a sheepskin 1/2 pad without the back roll? (I like sheepskin against the horse, then a square pad to keep the saddle clean... but with the rolled edges you have to do it the other way or things get really hinky.)

I can't wait to ride tomorrow to see if it was a fluke or what.

Comment

Snuck over here from hunterland.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my thinline pad. It makes the biggest difference in Soldier. I have just tried just about every pad under the sun to make his back "happier" (for lack of a better word). Beval's, gel pads, foam things ect... his highness does not like any of it. He got his fancy saddle, which is even fitted to him.
                  Nothing was "wrong" and he would still come out nicely in the hack, and jumped nice, but the thinline just bumped everything up. We discovered his inner hunter. Rounds over the fences, and wins the hack. So much for my eq. horse.

Blessing or curse?- well I lost my eq. horse when he discovered how he could jump with it, but he's alot happier with it. Won't ride without it.

Comment

I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean )

Comment

I was skeptical so I ordered mine from the Thinline website b/c you get a month trial and if you dont like it, return it for a full refund.

My mare just loves hers. Shes so much more willing to give her back and relax and the gaits are just so bouncy and its just really lovely.

No more bracing with her neck, jaw, and just is a happy go lucky girl.

Def is the pad.
                      ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

I got one of the sheepskin ones for under $200 on ebay, with free shipping. I love it.
                        Amateur rider, professional braider.
                        ----
                        Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

It's not your imagination or coincidence

I've had one for over 15 years and it's just now beginning to show signs of wear. Still passes the golf ball test. Won't ride without it. I can tell a difference in my back if I don't use it. My back becomes sore and achy.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! In fact, other than my saddle, it's probably the longest lasting piece of equipment I've got. Bought a nice new, shaped one in black for show.

I've often wondered why someone hasn't incorporated this into the seat of some saddles.
                          A poorly fitted saddle hampers both horse and rider.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Ho-Saddle-Services

Comment

Do you know how thin Line compares to Supra core?

http://www.supracor.com/equestrian/d..._cool_grip.htm

Comment

• Original Poster

I've got a Supracore and never had any reaction either way about it.

He's about the same with Supracore as sheepskin--likes them, but not as dramatic as this.

Comment

I use one on two horses but frankly haven't noticed anything magical about it. I like it because it is not bulky but didn't see any difference for my horses or me compared to using the regular gel pad.

Comment

I love it on most horses, but once in a while it interferes with the half-halt. I have two half-siblings in the barn, and with the thin-line pad on I have to HALF HALT, without it I can do my usual soft half halt. The Arabs love it, I won't ride them without it.

Comment

I noticed the same reaction when I got my treeless saddle.
                                    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

Comment

Originally posted by atr View Post
                                      I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean )
                                      No offence to anyone either, but I did wonder if it was because I don't bounce in the saddle. Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground*
                                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                      ---
                                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                        Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground*

Don't worry Sistah ... I'm with ya there!

However, I'm wondering if this would help my little reining mare. We've had a problem with saddles on her for a while now. Poor thing has to go out in an old dressage saddle I had for another horse. K... can you all just see it.. a reining horse with a dressage saddle? Brings new meaning to "Cowboy Dressage".
                                        Originally posted by susamorg
                                        Have your good rides but don't forget to stop and smell the horses .

Susan
                                        Fundamental Horsemanship

Comment

Working...
                                        X