• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse suddenly "heavy"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse suddenly "heavy"

Hi Dressage forum regulars,

As a H/J and sometimes eventing rider, I don't come over here too often, but I'm hoping you guys will have the best insight into my current issue. My trainer has been out of town for a few weeks, so I've been riding unsupervised. My horse is a big, long guy, but very well balanced, nicely broke and rarely heavy or stiff. I usually ride him with pretty light contact, and although it's hard for me to "put him together", he is at least light and soft.

However, over the past three weeks, he's become increasingly more downhill, stiff, and heavy. There are two potential issues. I've been having some else (another ammy in my barn) ride him a couple days a week while my trainer is gone. I guess it's possible that she's having that affect on him. I know I can usually feel the difference that different riders make on a horse.

The second concurrent issue is a change in my own riding. I had a great dressage lesson with a visiting trainer right before my regular trainer left. With her help I got a great feeling for getting him round and really stepping under himself. His gaits felt active and bouncy and he was light not heavy.

However, I'm worried that in my effort to duplicate that progress "unsupervised" I'm screwing something up. Too much leg and hand applied with poor timing? Am I driving him onto his forehand? Is this a common problem? Maybe this is why my regular trainer (eventing trainer with very solid dressage, so nose-poked out, hunter way of going is not the baseline) is not pushing us for more roundness and engagement because she knows I'm just going to mess it up!

Thoughts?

It is hard to say what it is without seeing it. Horses getting heavy in the hand, leaning on the contact, refusing to hold up their own head, is a common evasion that usually happens around the time you start asking them for more self carriage, more collection, etc....a growing pain. If it's that, it needs to be dealt with so that it doesn't become persistent. There are many ways to deal with it, but I've found doing tons and tons of transitions to strengthen the hind end, so that the horse CAN carry more weight behind helps, as well as correcting the horse (I use halt and one step of reinback to get him to shift his weight back again). I also do like shoulder in and shoulder fore and transitions between shoulder in and renvers, which helps to mobilize the hind legs. Dressage is a process and it involves both the physical and the mental and you kind of have to look at both when you address an issue.

Horses can also be heavy and lean on the forehand when they are ridden incorrectly--it can be a response to front to back riding. It could also be that he is physically sore. That's why it's hard to say what the reason is.

Comment

I have been going through the same thing.. I have worked with a top notch eventer for the past few months but she does ride with a light contact but not really asking much from the hindend.. I do have prior dressage experience and know that back to front, engagement and acceptance of the bit are extremely important.. I took a few lessons from a BNT and wow...I decided to ride "my" way and I can only say it was not easy.. Of course it is much more work for my horse and he resents having to use his hiney but after a few weeks....I got "that feeling"...lightness, acceptance, back to front.. Of course there are moments he gets tense and we loose it all.. Canter for one as he likes being on the forehand now.. Once he builds up the correct muscles, it will all get easier.. I agree with the transitions, lateral work, legyield at the wall..turn on the haunches.. Backing also engages the hindquarters..

Good luck!!

Comment

I agree that it is most likely growing pains. You do want to note if it appears his back is sore - my guy was out of work for 5 months before I got him a few weeks ago, so to some extent he's doing the same thing. You of course want to make sure there is no physical pain causing him to misbehave, but when you ask a horse to round and use its hind end and back more, it will often attempt to lean on you as if to say "this is hard, YOU do it!" I would do a lot of transitions, transitions within your gates, and alternate between asking for rounding and asking your horse to stretch. Bend a lot and make sure you keep that suppleness, because sometimes asking for more roundness and engagement can make the horse tense up and lose the suppleness.
        Originally posted by Silverbridge
        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I wanted to mention that a good book to read is Carl Hester's "Down to Earth Dressage". In the book, he talks of doing 100s and 100s of transitions in each riding session. It quite literally took doing this for two YEARS to get my horse to develop the collection necessary from first level to third level. Most people underestimate the # of transitions you need to do to strengthen the horse, but anyone who has done a competitive sport where they have to strengthen their own body knows how much training is involved--it's tough. When you want to move beyond 3rd level, the kinds of gymnastics and strength building exercises you do are more complicated, but always involve 100s and 100s of transitions.

Depending on what you are working on, you focus on certain qualities of the transitions. In your case, if the horse is leaning, then you want to focus on making sure the horse is accepting the bit all the way through the transition and that they are coming back and going forward from the hind legs.

Comment

Sometimes people use "Dressage" for a lesson or two and then keep a shorter length in rein to try and create what they think is "rounder'.

Unfortunately without supervision to keep you soft, long, and using your aids to keep him soft and round, your going to probably have just that... A short rein. He will inevitably pull, and then you will tighten and then voila!

Heavy stiff horse.

Without help, I would say to not think anymore of "round", but use a longer rein with lots of change in transitions and ride him from the rear thinking "rear".

Hope this helps!
            ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
            http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Put this idea somewhere in the back of your mind:

For my middle-aged, "knows better" gelding, getting heavy was the first sign that his hocks would need help.

Getting heavy in front is almost always a hind end problem, as other people have posted. Horses still quite sound and willing will sometimes subtly cheat this way if they are starting to get uncomfortable behind.
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

You mentioned it might be you - so try this:
                1. Bend (slightly) outside/inside to mobilze jaw then squeeze legs. Horse shouldgo forward into reins - soften a bit as a reward.

If that doesn't work a very quick uptick on inside (or heavier) rein when horse gets heavy. Horse will pop head up after that so just resume normal soft contact to reward horse for getting off the hand.
                Now in Kentucky

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! There is so much excellent, thoughtful advice here. I think definitely yes to what you said NOMI as probably one piece of what's going on:

"Sometimes people use "Dressage" for a lesson or two and then keep a shorter length in rein to try and create what they think is "rounder'.

Unfortunately without supervision to keep you soft, long, and using your aids to keep him soft and round, your going to probably have just that... A short rein. He will inevitably pull, and then you will tighten and then voila!"

Also, and I don't know why I do this, but when riding unsupervised I have a tendency to keep trying to correct something while staying in the gait doing the same thing, rather than switching it up by doing transitions, lateral exercises, etc. So that's a very helpful suggestion for future rides....even though I should know better.

Also, mvp, we have not done anything with his hocks yet, but are approaching the age and mileage where I need to pay attention, so thanks for that reminder. I think the timing of this current development, indicates a relationship with my riding (and possibly the other temp rider, who probably has similar bad habits to mine!). But it's an important point nonetheless.

Comment

When I have nobody working with me, I make sure that I pet with that inside hand often to make sure Im not gripping my inside bend for dear life

Another, is I change tempo every five strides or so, not so as somone on the rail could see, but so I can FEEL that he half halted from my seat.

The discipline needed for dressage is ongoing, so having a person there to help you be accountable is the best thing to do. IF you cant, then try and do a re-run of your lesson in your head while you are riding. What did the trainer tell you the most?

I have the same problem about mid week after a lesson, I ride very short and "demand" things of my horse, instead of asking and partnering with him.

Some days, I have to just back off and relax, relax, RELAX.
                    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X