• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why don't dressage riders wear helmets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't dressage riders wear helmets?

Obviously, that isn't true for everyone, but more often than not, when you see ads of riders on dressage horses, or photos of the pros, etc., the dressage rider is wearing a ball cap or a visor (or nothing) and not a helmet while schooling, etc. I'm just curious as to why this seems to be so prevalent in this sport.

You know, I've always wondered about that, too, and I think it's one of those "tradition" things. At least the hunter people (mostly) were used to wearing the old style hard hats, so it wasn't as much of a big deal to switch to helmets that were actually going to be useful. That or maybe dressage riders figure they'll never fall off??? :-)

I ride western now, and always wear a helmet --- I'd feel nekkid without one!

Donk

Comment

well there is advertising and then there is the real world

Most of the mainstream magazines ( dressage today for instance) do a good job in making sure demo riders in photos for articles wear helmets

In reality, most people I know wear helmets at home at at shows.

There will always be those who refuse, just as there are in hunters and all theother disceplines.

Sometimes it takes a bad fall to "scare you straight". Age does it too. When you realize that normal aging is bad enough with memory, being able to get thru the day without an ache or pain. You discover that you best protect what few assets you have left
      _\\]
      -- * > hoopoe
      Procrastinate NOW
      Introverted Since 1957

Comment

because some people thought their riding is so dang good they will never fall off.

In my opinion, it is just stupid. If I have my way, I would like to see FEI level requires riders to wear helmet as well.

Comment

• Original Poster

I notice this at shows and clinics too though. Your lower level riders typically wear a helmet, but everyone else is without. I know beyond 4th you wear a top hat anyway, but can still wear a helmet, it's just something I've noticed over the years and always wondered about.

Comment

helmets

I don't know about magazines but a very large number of riders wear helmets in my area. Twenty years ago it was unusual to see a helmeted rider of any discipline. Now, helmets are in the majority. Over here the WP people are slower in adopting helmet use vs. english type (dressage and HJ) or strict trail riders.

Comment

yeah I used to wear 'paper mache' style hunt cap. How stupid is that.

Comment

so when we fall off, we don't land on our heads and break our necks?
                "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Because it would mess up their hair and hide their diamond earrings!
                  http://burpclothsandsaddlepads.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personally, I feel very vulnerable without mine. If I go anywhere now, where it looks like I even have a prayer of riding, I take my helmet along. It makes me very, very nervous to have trainers get on my horse without one. I've had 3 of them do it - and my mare has been know to buck at the canter. My most recent former instructor got on her 16 y.o., out of shape, former eventer, asked him for a canter, and he bucked her off. No helmet...because she NEVER rides with one. This from a woman who doesn't carry health insurance, either. Luckily, my current trainer refuses to get on any horse without one which puts my mind tremendously at ease should she ever need to get on my horse for any reason.
                    "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

because they are selfish.

allow me to explain. We know the person in question does not care if they fall off and bust their head. But maybe they should wear a helmet because no one in the family wants to spoon feed them for the rest of their pathetic lives.

My friend KileyC says she HAS to wear a helmet because her family would let her starve.
                      http://kaboomeventing.com/
                      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
                        allow me to explain. We know the person in question does not care if they fall off and bust their head. But maybe they should wear a helmet because no one in the family wants to spoon feed them for the rest of their pathetic lives.
                        Word.

My friend KileyC says she HAS to wear a helmet because her family would let her starve.
                        Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

because they are uncomfortable

I hate helmets.

To do their job well, a helmet needs to fit tighter than I like, giving me a headache and making me irritable. Then I'm not riding well.

I wear a helmet when it's required.

Comment

I also joke about messing up the coif, but really, I think it's a bit of tradition, a bit of ignorence (I"ve been told so many times in the past that a good dressage horse will never mess up.. yeah right.. although haven't heard that one lately) and a lot of arrogance.

I've shown up around mainly dressage and western barns with my helmet on every time, and what do you know.. the focus shifts and I end up seeing more riders in helmets more times than when I arrived. I have to say (sigh hate to say), I'm not some glamorous bombshell in my helmet! Mine are traditionally big ugly and approved and I'm a tomboy.
                            I think it "just takes one" to alter people's perception enough for them to study the situation from outside their normal parameters and reach a wiser conclusion.

Comment

because a helmet is to protect the brain. How many horse people do you know that are right in the head?. I don't know anyone including myself
                              Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Comment

It is a bit of a fad over here as many of the big names warm up and in articles are always pictured hatless.

Younger riders copy them thinking it's cool to do what Carl et al do. Never thinking of the consequences of a fall.

Brain damaged and spending the rest of my life dribbling in a wheelchair is not cool.

Hence, never hatless.

Paddy
                                "Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done"

~Member of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~

Comment

Well, when you think about it, it isn't that surprising that the most tradition bound of equestrian disciplines would be slow to catch on to something so "new" as helmets. No one ever wore helmets to ride. Then we made beginners and kids wear them. Then people jumping wore them. Then dressage riders on green or rank horses would wear them. Now the safety conscious adult ammies wear them. It is only a matter of time before everyone gets accustomed to it and it will feel awkward to go without (like seat belt laws).

When you think that the jumpers would routinely school without helmets and then show in those ridiculous unsecured helmets but now every jumper rider has the titanium steel race car driver designed cost a fortune helmet....eventually the dressage riders will get on some helmet bandwagon when someone designs something ultra cool, technical and very expensive.

Comment

I asked my trainer this question who sometimes does and sometimes does not where a helmet.

She said that on horses that she knows are quiet and steady she doesn't wear one because that would mean wearing the same helmet for just about 7 hours straight because she rides so many in a day. In the summer especially she feels that's kind of gross. I've equated it to speeding in my car. On some roads I speed (NJ Tnpk - straight, good visiability) but on others I don't (Wertzville - lots of blind curves and deer, narrow).

However, she always wears a helmet on the young ones and those she does not know and on trail rides.

Personally, I always wear my helmet but wish the liner came out so I could wash it.

Comment

The worst bang to the head I ever took was not because I got bucked off or because the horse did anything naughty. He tripped. It was an accident, plain and simple and he could not get his feet back under himself in time. I got a concussion WITH the helmet on -- I dare not think of how bad it could have been without it.

I admit to taking Sar out on lazy slow trail rides without a helmet when it's really hot or cool enough that I want to wear a stocking cap instead. He's as bombproof as they come, though, and I don't fancy too much happening when we're walking around the back 40. If I want to play & run, though, I wear the helmet.

My head feels naked riding any other horse without a helmet, though. And this is coming from a former western rider who used to say she'd rather die than wear one! It's just what you're used to -- once you get used to a helmet you don't even notice it's there.
                                      Proud member of the draft cross clique!!! Mum to Normandy & Sar.
                                      http://hometown.aol.com/sarmoniet/index.html

Comment

I knew a gal who said (in a very pompous I never fall off because I'm so good voice) she only wore helmets on young horses.
                                        This is the same woman who was out hacking her 18+ hh (you read that right) teen-aged horse in the hills and he tripped and fell down- and of course off she went. (And had to walk home because she couldn't get back on him from the ground.) So I looked at her when she made that ridiculous statement and said- oh I see- because older horses never FALL DOWN.
                                        Freak accidents happen even if you do wear a helmet- sometimes those are the breaks.
                                        But shame on you if you choose NOT to because they're hot, uncomfortable, mess up your hair, aren't "cool"... WHATEVER. Shame on you because the ones left behind to care for the drooling blob on life support that used to be you are the ones who suffer. I second the you are selfish sentiment.

Comment

Working...
                                        X