• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What happens when it all goes south?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when it all goes south?

Ok, the thread about "lovingly letting your trainer go" got me thinking a little bit (ok a lot), about the boarding/training situation that I am in and afraid that is not going to end as graciously.

I have been with my current trainer/barn owner for quite awhile (nearly 10 years) I have learned so much from her, and I'm very grateful for the care and guidance she has given me and my horses. However, things have become less than pleasant and they have been this way for awhile. She has started being extremely picky about little things, she has made comments that are less than flattering about other trainers, riders, etc. Every time I talk with her, she is asking me do to something more at the barn. She has started making snide comments about my job and my husband (even suggesting that I quit so I can ride more), and this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have become afraid to go to the barn while she's there because I just never know what mood she will be in, and I'm afraid I'll get her bad one. I dread my lessons and the worse part is that I have a new horse, that I'm not being encouraged to ride (she wants me to ride the lesson horse instead) even though she is telling others around me that he is the perfect fit.

I know I have to leave...after speaking with a trusted friend who knows the trainer also, she said that she has seen this pattern before with her, and that it's only going to get worse. I have seen it too, and had thoughts that the relationship I had with her was different somehow. How blind was I? Said trainer has lost several students since last year. I also do a lot of barn work for this woman, without much compensation, because I like being involved in my horses' care. Enough has definitely become enough.

My plan is to give the barn owner 30 days notice. I have my name on the waiting list of another facility and I'm checking into yet another in my area, along with some private barns.
    I would like to try and keep the departure professional and amiable as possible, however, I know that she's going to take it personally and be hurt. How do you let someone down easily? I have only discussed the situation with a trusted friend.

This is more of a vent than anything else. I have been on edge for two days because of some things that transpired over the weekend and I am really dreading the next conversation that I'm going to have with her.

I suggest that you say nothing to her until the stall for which you are waiting is yours. Then, move the horse and give your old trainer the 30 days notice, paying her for that empty stall that you have vacated for those 30 days. It is never good to leave a horse in such a situation after the barn owner knows what you are about. Sometimes, the barn owner is honorable, and sometimes they are not in regards your horse's care. I guess I have lived too long with horses and seen too many things in those years to ever trust to chance.

Comment

THIS ! + don't tell anyone !!! Be careful !

Originally posted by angel View Post
      I suggest that you say nothing to her until the stall for which you are waiting is yours. Then, move the horse and give your old trainer the 30 days notice, paying her for that empty stall that you have vacated for those 30 days. It is never good to leave a horse in such a situation after the barn owner knows what you are about. Sometimes, the barn owner is honorable, and sometimes they are not in regards your horse's care. I guess I have lived too long with horses and seen too many things in those years to ever trust to chance.
      This exactly and do not tell anyone you are leaving - be careful !
      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Ive had a trainer go sideways to this point and then some.

You can be courteous and give thirty days. OR, you can do what many do when paying for a service, and helping out, and then gets shafted for their trouble.

Pack up and leave. Say in response to her mean comments, "Im sorry YOU feel that way. Ill stop that problem for you and be outa here in a minute."
        ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
        http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does she have a history of treating horses badly once she's given notice? If not, I would give the notice. Sounds like some people have been burned by bad BO/BM's, but that's not been my experience, nor do I treat my boarders like that. Actually, I'm afraid I tend towards bending over backwards so the DON'T think I'm treating them badly because they are leaving.

Comment

• Original Poster

Definitely ZuZu.

I have been extremely careful about who knows and who doesn't. The barn owner that I am on the waiting list has taken in a couple of her past students/boarders, so I know that she wouldn't say anything, and she knows the sensitivity of the situation at hand.

Thank you for the advice on the notice. I had thought about giving the notice ahead of time, only to be fair to the barn owner so that she could find someone else to do the feedings that I have been doing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a letter in the barn tonight asking me to leave, as things went pretty badly Saturday, resulting in my losing my cool over several things and blowing up. Not mature on my end, I fully admit and I'm also embarrassed by it, however, my husband was happy that it happened, saying how I have needed to do it for months now.

I feel like she's lost her mind. I keep trying to go back and analyze when everything started to sour, and I just can not. Sigh, I'm exhausted from it, and torn up that I'm not just losing a boarding situation but a friend as well.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
              Ive had a trainer go sideways to this point and then some.

You can be courteous and give thirty days. OR, you can do what many do when paying for a service, and helping out, and then gets shafted for their trouble.

Pack up and leave. Say in response to her mean comments, "Im sorry YOU feel that way. Ill stop that problem for you and be outa here in a minute."
              I have been using a little of this approach for awhile now. When she starts to say something crass or snarky, I have been retorting back with a nice comment in return, or a questioning comment so that she knows I'm not appreciating it.

Leaving is happening. That I have decided, it's just the when and where at this point.

Comment

Ditto..Having moved all over the country and boarded at many barns, I have to tell you that you can not trust anyone...Pay the extra month board at the facility "when you leave" for the new one.. May be a little expensive but I can only tell you it will be well worth it..So sad but so very true
                Last edited by blackhorse6; Mar. 22, 2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Jingles for you and your horse ~ just plan your exit and work your plan. Leave in good form but not endangering your horse - feed til you leave if you have to but I would pay the thirty days as you load up ~ cashier's check maybe to make it clean. Good Luck ! If she asks you to leave ~ do you have a place to go til the other barn has an opening?
                  Last edited by Zu Zu; Mar. 22, 2010, 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by blackhorse6 View Post
                    Ditto..Having moved all over the country and boarding at many barns, I have to tell you that you can not trust anyone...Pay the extra month board at the facility "when you leave" for the new one.. May be a little expensive but I can only tell you it will be well worth it..So sad but so very true
                    Really very sad.

Comment

It is sad, but sometimes you never know.

We left from the show and went to a different barn altogether.I didnt even bring him home again after the blow out. "SOME" of my stuff went missing by the day I went to pick it up...

Was glad my horse was outa there before it got to the point
                      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

In 30 years of running big barns, I have had exactlly 3
                        boarders leave immediately. I just can't understand why
                        people are so distrustful of their farm owners - I am sure
                        no one has seen me not feed, turn out, or abuse a
                        horse in my care. In fact, most of my boarders that
                        leave have given me two months or more of notice.
                        www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you guys, and thank you for the jingles. This has been one of the most difficult things I've ever had to go through. I feel like I'm in the middle of a divorce.

Someone asked about having a place to move to in an emergency. That's what I have been working on today. I have the trailering lined out, just need to find a place that can take both horses immediately. If I have to drive aways that's fine and I'm willing to do it until something more suitable opens up. The main goal is to have the exit strategy.

I have been on edge for 2 days. I will be at the barn tonight, and I'm not sure what will be waiting for me. I have had no communication with her since Saturday, and I don't know if she's just waiting for me to cool off or if she's so royally P.O'd that she doesn't want to talk to me right now. Either way, my blow-up cleared the air and the ball is in her court now. I'm sure she has been bad-mouthing me to the other boarder and the barn worker.

I don't believe that she would ever do anything to the horses. She treats them all very well, and doesn't have a history of viciousness with them, just their owners. I think she would be happiest if she never had to communicate with another human being, and could just live her life with only the horses. I'm so weary from it all, and it has just drained me for the past two days. Hopefully, I can find someplace soon. I'm leaving here in just a minute to check out the board at the tack store. There are usually some boarding listings there. If I have to seperate the two horses, then that's not a big deal.

Comment

Because of what my horses/ ponies have experienced !

Originally posted by dotneko View Post
                            In 30 years of running big barns, I have had exactlly 3
                            boarders leave immediately. I just can't understand why
                            people are so distrustful of their farm owners - I am sure
                            no one has seen me not feed, turn out, or abuse a
                            horse in my care. In fact, most of my boarders that
                            leave have given me two months or more of notice.
                            I will simply never give notice again burned too many times~ I will pay the extra 30 days!
                            My horses have been boarded and trained at so-called BNT barns. I have given 30 day notice and I have had feet cut off and/or tails cut off so the horses can not be shown for a season or longer as well as tack swapped and exchanged for "trash" - I always paid on time and filled in feeding when needed ~ like when they left at 4am for a horse show or if their "hired help" did not show up...These people were professionals and friends and they completely changed and became dangerous. I saw it happen to other boarders first and thought it would not happen to me because I was responsible & dependable and a "friend" ~ that theory was proven wrong many times. The last time I left a barn ~ we arrived with trailer and tack inventory ~ which we waited to be handed over ~ paid up and said thank you.BTW (When we arrived we found only one other boarder/training horse left there ~ everyone else had had enough also.So I say when things go south ~ be careful and tell no one and plan your exit ~ be polite & paid up but do not trust anyone until your horses and tack are out ! IMHO
                            Last edited by Zu Zu; Mar. 22, 2010, 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

It really surprises me at all of these people who advocate just up and leaving. I mean, yes, in THIS situation it could be a VERY uncomortable 30 days so might be worth it. But in all the years I ahve run boarding facilities and taught and trained I only ever had one person that told me they were leaving that coming weekend, all others were at least 30 days notice and stayed that time. I would NEVER treat the person or the horse badly or rudely. Althoguh the one person that gave me just a few days notice came totally unexpectedly and out of left field, I was very amicable to them right up to the end. Subsequently when she decided to sell her horse, she sent the horse to me to market and sell for her. Things will come back to you, good or bad!!
                              www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

ZuZu had an aweful experience when she left her former boarding facilities. I am actually appalled that a large boarding facility would do that to a horse (cut feet/tails etc) but "horse people" can't be trusted (I've been burned alot too) and it seems that when a boarder leaves, the barn owner just flips out.
                                I'm not saying ALL barn owners are like this. There are people like Shawneeacres that take great care of a horse even after the boarder says they are leaving. Too bad there aren't more people out there like Shawneeacres!
                                I was at a large boarding facility and I gave them my 2 week (per contract) notice. I did not leave early. I later found out that they shanked my young horse and he freaked out and was running loose on the property (next to a major road-55mph). Thank god nothing happened to him other than marks on his nose but I should have left that day. The small private barn that I gave notice to, I did pay my board but left early. She was not feeding my horses and cost me a lot in vet bills and extra hay/grain/fat supp in the long run.
                                I have not been in the horse industry long, just four years, so I am learning the ropes of how things work.
                                It's very sad to me how bad "horse people" treat each other.
                                I think you have to choose who your friends are, trust only the ones close to you and use your gut instinct when it comes to protecting your horses
                                Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him

Comment

Oh, so sorry. I hope you find a stall at a great barn and can leave as soon as possible, for your own peace of mind.
                                  www.specialhorses.org
                                  a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

So sorry this has to happen to you. It's happened to me before as well.

There are a lot of nutty people out there. And there are a lot of good barns out there. But you have to watch your own back. Start moving your stuff out now.

Will keep you in my thoughts, keep us updated.
                                    First, say to yourself what you would be. Then do what you have to do. ~Epictectus

Comment

It's ALWAYS important to have the back-up plan in place in case your BO does not wish to have you stay for the 30 days after you give notice. I was in this situation not long ago. I gave 30 days and was told by the BO that if I had decided to go she would prefer that I go ahead and leave now. I must admit, it was a bit of a relief as I would not have been especially comfortable for the last month, but if I hadn't had a stall to move him to right then and there I would have been in a bind. (There was never any question that my horse would continue to receive great care, it was simply less emotionally stressful all around for the barn owner & myself.)
                                      Old age is no place for sissies.
                                      Bette Davis

Comment

jingles....from someone who has been there and will be again...
                                        My blog:

RAWR

Comment

Working...
                                        X