• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Could this be a dressage prospect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be a dressage prospect?

Is there a market for this type of animal in the dressage world? I ride H/J so I just don't know. Where would you advertise this kind of pony if he is suitable for dressage? He's a coming 5 yr old 14.2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUPqTDfrk4
    What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

Looks to be a very sweet pony, and very obedient and well trained, considering its age. I would not consider this a dressage prospect, however. Gaits, especially the walk, have a tendency to be lateral, and there isn't as much engagement behind as one would expect to see in a dressage horse, even a lower level one. This pony would make a very nice local level hunter, IMO.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I broke him myself last year and did very little on him, just trail rides because he was so young. He's been ridden about 3 times in the last month, and hadn't done anything since last summer. So he's not trained! Just VERY quiet and so easy. He also up until 3 rides ago only went in a hackamore, so he really doesn't know how to steer or anything, the last 3 rides were just working on the stop go and steer, and l really did NOTHING on the video, just fluffed him around. He's just so easy!

Comment

I am of the opposing opinion. With good training he would make a nice dressage pony. He's pretty smart in the way that he adjusts his balance. Once he gets all that sorted out, he will be able to relax and stretch lot more. Then - you'll have a "trainable" little chap !
        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

He looks like a "normal" pony right now, one with a nice trainable personality. He's only green broke, but seems to have the right idea on "forward" and is very willing.

No idea why he would be relegated to "local Hunter only" prospect at this stage. I'm not a pony-person, but I've definitely seen less spectacular ponies winning on the A circuit here. I secretly covet a pony, so I like to watch them go.

He isn't super fancy, but he is good-looking with nice self-carriage. His JUMP is what would sell him as a Hunter.

He doesn't have heart-stopping natural gaits...but he has all the foundation and build ideas to be quite good at Dressage. No, not an FEI prospect in the HORSE world...but look at the pony tests. I see no reason this guy couldn't be quite nice with more training.
          Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

• Original Poster

Cool, thanks everybody, I free jumped him once when he was a 3yr old and was actually pretty impressed with his form, but I made this video for someone who was looking for a dressage pony...she was going to talk to her trainer and has yet to get back to me. I was just wondering. Oh, and she said she thought he looked unsound...but I guess no one else sees that, I certainly didn't. I think maybe she was making excuses.

Comment

A trainer once told me
              "you can improve the trot and create the canter but you have to buy the walk"

with that said this pony is not tracking up well enough on a loose rein. I don't think much of the head movement as he may just be using his neck and head for balance which is common until they learn to carry themselves and engage their hind ends.

however, all horses and ponies benefit from dressage so keep on working at it, he may make a nice eventer for one very happy rider

Comment

I told another poster this so Ill tell you the same

If you can ride a very correct test at the lower levels, he/she will be right as rain.
                ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I didn't watch the whole video but I thought he looked like quite a handy little guy .

I broke him myself last year and did very little on him, just trail rides because he was so young. He's been ridden about 3 times in the last month, and hadn't done anything since last summer
                  So he's still very green and moves like he is still getting used to weight on his back. That can affect the gaits. I bet his gaits will improve as he builds strength and muscles over the topline. Cute guy! No telling what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteup View Post
                    Cool, thanks everybody, I free jumped him once when he was a 3yr old and was actually pretty impressed with his form, but I made this video for someone who was looking for a dressage pony...she was going to talk to her trainer and has yet to get back to me. I was just wondering. Oh, and she said she thought he looked unsound,...but I guess no one else sees that, I certainly didn't.
                    Weeeellllll, he is quite short behind, at the walk, in the beginning of the video, as well as having quite a lateral walk. I can understand someone looking seriously at a horse to buy thinking he's NQR - I probably would, in his case. He gets better towards the end, after the full WTC in both directions. But in something that young, you could either be looking at a lack of balance, or some mechanical/soundness issue. I would personally not buy a dressage prospect with a walk like his. No offense intended.

I think maybe she was making excuses.
                    No, just being a bit cautious, I think.
                    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                    A life lived by example, done too soon.
                    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Just my two cents. Looks like a cute pony to me. I don't see a lateral walk. I see a really good walk, especially on such a young horse on what looks like could be less than ideal/even terrain. He really steps forward from behind up underneath himself. Sometimes horses with a huge walk look lateral--I think it was Monica Theodorescue's horse at the World Cup had a walk similar, and got 5's and 10's on the walk in the same ride.

I did see a little unevenness in the walk at the beginning, but I think it's the terrain more than anything else. I love that he's so active in the walk, but it may be making it seem not so good as some people are seeing.

I think in anything but super gaited horses, it's hard to see in young or unconditioned horses. I look at the hind end and how they use it. In all three gaits there is a pretty wide separation of the hind legs and a willingness to step under himself. That's what I like to see. If you pause him at the walk and canter especially, he has a pretty nice inverted V between the hind legs--to me that indicates soundness and an ability to be able to use himself.

I don't know that much about ponies, but for a young, unconditioned guy, he looks like a nice dressage prospect to me. Honestly, if you want to get something that more people can see his quality, I would get him in a nice arena. He's probably dealing with little holes or unevenness, ground that is too hard and soft in spots, and whatnot, so it's hard to be super even and rhythmic. I think he's nice.

Comment

Actually, my first thought was "Cute pony, too bad he's lame." In the front.
                        From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Comment

I wondered about the footing as well.

I would say, go ahead and work him. Work him toward more self carriage and push from behind.

Enjoy! And you never know what you might have.

Comment

I think he looks completely fine, no lameness at all. Actually, just like a little machine! I think he's very nice.
                            Edit: I took a second look. In the very beginning he does look like he's head bobbing as he walks down hill. The rest of the video I couldn't tell because the head/neck line is not visible to me against the dark woods. Looking at just his legs he looks good, but I can't tell what the head is doing.
                            Last edited by Chall; Mar. 22, 2010, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I never made it past the first minute. It's really boring watching a horse walk. Cute looking little pony though.
                              Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

The walk does have a tendency to be lateral but I've seen a lot worse. Really I don't see anything to really not like about him. He looks like he has a good temperament. You're riding him quick and so I'm willing to bet the walk would improve if it was a little less rushed. But he's really young and green so considering that he seems like he'd make someone a fun little dressage pony. You're riding him more like a hunter so of course people will think he'd be more like a hunter pony.

Sometimes I wonder if other people have horses that just move like upper level horses from the get-go and expect to see the same. But I know how much my horse has changed in his movement so when I look at your video I see that, ok right now he's quick and a little short but with some good work, slowing him down, allowing the hind leg to swing under I'd bet he'd look like a different pony.

Now if you're asking if he'd make one of those very fancy little european-style ponies... I'd probably sing a different tune. But I think he'd make someone a fun pony to learn on, go to some shows with etc. That's more than many people can say about their own horses so I think it's a lot just to be able to say that. And I think he could maybe do a good test some day but you have to feel it out I think.

Take this for what it's worth because I'm far from being an expert. I'm not an upper level rider or anything or trained horses up the levels or anything like that so keep that in mind when reading my post.

Comment

Newly started horses can be a bit lateral as they adjust to the rider's weight and balance and try to balance themselves and adapt. The footing is also an issue. I don't think I'd judge him harshly from this video. He looks like a willing guy who will improve with muscling and balance -- you can't expect rhythm or straight lines or bending at this stage. Good luck!
                                  PennyG

Comment

Working...
                                  X