• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Canadians...UNCART??? WTF????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadians...UNCART??? WTF????

If you ride dressage in Canada, you NEED to go and have a look at the EC website for the new rule changes. Inside, is the "information" about UNCART which is about to be unveiled.

You only have until October 1st to send in your comments and/or questions...(Such as..."How the HECK are we going to implement this?" and "Did you really MEAN to turn all the grass roots riders away, or was that a by-product of trying to drum up more cash for the few Int'l riders that Canada has?" and what about..."Good idea! We didn't want to make it easy for any of those people who thought they might like to "try" dressage, anyway! Who needs the rif raf!" and "Where does CADORA fit into this?" Plus..""How come Bronze Level riders are going to require EVERY membership, but aren't allowed to participate in a year end championship?" )...or, you may even think of some of your own! Just read through the information, such as it is, and let your imagination wander.

Seems to be what thepeople who WROTE this thing did, too!

So, Canadian dressage riders...get to it and find out what you are about to be saddled with. It aint pretty!

CInder

PS....Do you think the USDF would take us??? It sure looks like an option so far!

can you give a link? I went to EC (Im assuming Equine Canada???) but couldn't find anything more than a general rah-rah explanation of UNCART.

thanks
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by canyonoak View Post
      can you give a link? I went to EC (Im assuming Equine Canada???) but couldn't find anything more than a general rah-rah explanation of UNCART.

thanks

It is in pdf format and PAGES long. Maybe someone can give us the point by point version?

Comment

I haven't shown at all this year and my last couple of years were only at Primaries. WTF is UNCART?
        Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

THere is a thread about it on EMG in the dressage section...

http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/F...ML/002090.html

I am on the Executive of our local dressage club and WE don't have any more info than what was posted on the EC site. Even our CADORA rep had no notice that this was being implemented in this years' rules. It's been snuck in under the radar, IMO, and people are given less than a month to give their opinions before it becomes the official rules.

IMO, changing the entire structure of the circuit calls for a General Meeting, where questions can be asked by the people who are actually going to PAY for these changes....You and I.

The last question was about showing in Primary. My understanding is that there will be no "Primary", I wil be considered "Bronze", and it will cost you (I'm guessing at the numbers as EC hasn't quite gotten around to telling us how much this is going to COST!), likely another $100-$300.00 a year in MEMBERSHIPS. You will need a passport-type thing (Currently in some sort of developement I am assuming...Heck..we've got 3 months to register EVERY HORSE IN CANADA WHO WANTS TO SHOW DRESSAGE! What's the rush???) Also, EC licenses, competitor's stickers, DC license and your membership to your local club. If I have that wrong, someone please correct me. It's a little muddy in my mind after trying to figure the whole thng out... WAY to get people to come out and try dressage! Make it so ridiculously expensive and time consuming that NO ONE will say..."Hey, I've always wanted to try that...Let's take Pal down there and have a go!"

And, for that you get NO CHAMPIONSHIPS. Want Championships? Go "Silver" and "surprise!!!", pay more money and hope like Heck your dressage club can find the upper level judges and stewards who are needed to judge those "required" FEI classes...whether anyone shows up fpr them or not...

Yup..those FEI riders in Backofbeyond Ontario are just going to over run the shows! There are so many we will be required to offer ALL FEI classes at every show!

OK, you've paid your money, you're going to the Championships....Better hope you either get lucky on the location, or the cost of gas goes down, because each Province is allowed to have ONE Championship show. So, if you live in Toronto and the show is in Ottawa, look forward to an 8-10 hour trailer ride to get there, or vice versa.

Did anyone inform these folks just how BIG some provinces are? That it can take most of a day in a car to drive across one?

The Driving folks have already gone to the USDF, if my memory serves....It may be time the Dressage folks followed suit.

Cinder

Comment

It's sort of like watching the beginning of a slow death of the sport in Canada.

I'm proud to be a Canadian. I show and live in the US though. I'm sorry to say that this year I did not renew my EC, OEF or DC memberships... I thought, what's the point? It's not like any of these clubs have done a whole lot for me lately.

EC needs to follow suit with the US GMOs, where for a $45 membership per year (in our GMO anyway!) you're free to compete in as many shows as you like and vie for year end awards within your club.
            True North Dressage
            Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
            www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Comment

But UNCART isn't just going to effect dressage, it will effect every equestrian sport.

EC is doing away with passports, in it's place will be "Horse Identification Document". This will be required at all levels of showing, yup, you read that right.

There will be 3 Levels of showing: Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Bronze will be your 1 Day Schooling show level. You will have to have a [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
              r, B, M level judge, you will have to have the following memberships: Provincial, EC Bronze Level and Dressage Canada minimum of Junior or Associate. Your horse will need it's Horse Identification Document and Horse Licence from EC. Permitted classes up to Fourth Level. But you don't qualify for any awards from DC or EC or even at the Provinicial level.

Silver Level Shows will be max. of 2 days.ClassesUp to Fourth Level plus FEI Children, FEI Pony, FEI Junior, FEI Young Rider, FEI Prix St Georges, FEI Intermediare 1 and FEI Intermediare 2 plus relevant Freestyles. Judges to be: r, B, M, S. Silver Level EC membership as well as DC minimum of Junior or Associate and PSO. Horse Identification Document and Horse Licence Required. You will qualify for Provincial Awards, DC Silver Awards and the Lauren Dilanni Award from Freestyles.

Gold Level Shows have no limit on the number of days. All tests can be offered. Judges can be B, M, S, or FEI. Memberships required: Gold EC Membership, DC Minimum of Junior or Senior, and PSO. Horse Identification Document and Horse licence required. You will qualify for Provincial Awards, DC National Awards, Lauren Dilanni Award from Freestyles, and the Dressage Canada 8 Awards.

personally, I don't see this as being beneficial to Dressage in Canada or any other equestrian sport in Canada. EC wants to get more money into their coffers and this is how they plan on doing it.[FONT=Arial][/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

OK so they decide to kill Primary.

Comment

Wait a *&^@# minute, this means that for the three day, combined National / PaRC (Regional) competition, where I really don't care about year end awards, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO GET A GOLD membership?!?!?! I've been showing PaRC because I didn't see the need for an EC membership for a couple of smallish shows at Training/First...

And what about Horse Trials??? This means that everyone who wants to run a Starter level horse trial, that happens to run over three days instead of two (not uncommon around here), has to get their "Gold" membership?? Wow. That's going to turn a LOT of people away.

For both of these scenarios you only needed your Provincial membership to participate - a whole $45/annually...

ETA: Someone on the EMG thread suggested that it would be possible to just get USEF/USDF memberships and use those instead. Is that correct if you're a Canadian resident??
                  "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

dressagecanada.org has 91 pages of proposed rule changes for 2008...but you can get through alot of this as not all pages are really interesting reading eg: table of contents etc.

Comment

What does UNCART stand for--in letters, not concepts, hahahahahahah
                      one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sabovee View Post
                        EC needs to follow suit with the US GMOs, where for a $45 membership per year (in our GMO anyway!) you're free to compete in as many shows as you like and vie for year end awards within your club.

It doesn't 'really' work that way in the US. You can only show at 'schooling shows' for no additional fees. If you show at 'recognized shows' and you are not a member of the NGB then you have to pay an additional fee every time you show.

IMHO ... there is a vast difference in quality between 'schooling shows' and 'recognized shows'.

***Although.......some of the places who offer 'recognized shows' are not doing a 'schooling show series'. In which the quality of the ground is usually excellent and the facilities are wonderful.***

Recognized dressage in the US is expensive!

Comment

I still don't get the entire concept

Does this really mean- that for local schooling shows, we will need a Bronze membership plus an EC "Horse Identification" (aka the old "Passport")??? Or only for recognized EC schooling shows (the old "primary")??

And we'll need the Silver membership plus the Horse ID for provincial C level shows? Like for example Trillium or (here in Calgary) AHHS???

As a Coach, I"m not even sure which membership I apply for- or what it entitles me to!! Can anyone clarify that? Did I miss that somewhere??

Totally confused, here!!!!

Comment

First off- UNCART has been in the works for a couple of years- it was SUPOSED to be in place in 2007 (and didn't happen). We (dressage groups) are still waiting on some answers as how this will affect us. . . primary thing i see is that we won't be able to really run primary (provincial) and EC shows at the same time/same judge as we do around here...

There are plusses and minus's to the system from what i've been informed about- i'm still confused as hell-
                            Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
                            www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

Does this apply to jumper as well?

I can see a lot of "bootleg" shows popping up run by the local barns with "invitees only".

Comment

Yes it applies across the board all disciplins- the idea being you 'pay for what you play" in the jumper/hunter world (in my understanding) the high end shows (ie what is now recognized/"a" shows would have the higher fees (so what 2'9? 3" level) where those showing 2'3 would be only at permit/provincial shows (trillium??) as i understand it.... so can be some savings there for people.

But for dressage recognized starts at the lowest levels (training)... so price if you show recognized at training would not be different (possibly MORE) then we're paying now.... but i haven't had confirmation on that
                                Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
                                www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

What is stopping somebody from starting another organization with their own rules/National Championships/points system? If they make it attractive enough and everybody defects what will EC do? If you went and rounded up some sponsorship and actually paid a purse to winners/placers I'll bet you could end up with something pretty good!
                                  ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                    What is stopping somebody from starting another organization with their own rules/National Championships/points system? If they make it attractive enough and everybody defects what will EC do? If you went and rounded up some sponsorship and actually paid a purse to winners/placers I'll bet you could end up with something pretty good!
                                    The power of any organization is in its ability to provide certain "services". In this case the EC or any national equestrian organization is recognized by the world body that decides at least on an international basis who qualifies for events at the FEI/international level. Any organization that puts forward their "champions" will find a cold reception.

It is also from the sub levels where selections to promote are found( via grants along with various other "services" that only an organization recognized internationally can offer).

I like the jumpers and they are already at the high end of expense output already with the nomination fees,memberships and class cost entries, now it will only be for the wealthy.

I wonder how the various fall/spring fairs will get around this?

Comment

Here is the link from the DC website...

http://www.dressagecanada.org/pdf/ru...AFT-310807.pdf

yes it is 91 pages long. Took forever to load.
                                      I browsed thru it last night and have printed off the pages I need to study.
                                      I'll take them to work tomorrow.
                                      One thing I noticed was that, oh yes...Bronze riders can wear short boot and half chaps.
                                      Great!
                                      However, if you ride in half chaps you must have safety stirrups....not just for the juniors, but adults too.
                                      And ponies can only have a 90cm whip...

I do encourage everyone to slog thru it all and please send in your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post
                                        Here is the link from the DC website...

One thing I noticed was that, oh yes...Bronze riders can wear short boot and half chaps.
                                        Great!
                                        However, if you ride in half chaps you must have safety stirrups.....

Wholly...fffffff......... frack. Missed that. Who the Fruitbatting Hockeysticks has come up with this nonsense?!?!
                                        Bootleg shows indeed!!!!! I"m all for THAT!!!!!

PS just to clarify, I know we're in the dressage forum, but in h/j the levels have nothing to do with jump heights. It's to do with the number/type of classes (sometimes higher jumps, obviously), # of days and prize money. UNLESS all that is changing now too??
                                        Last edited by OnyxThePony; Sep. 13, 2007, 01:41 AM. Reason: there are two t's in fruitbatting, I do believe

Comment

Working...
                                        X