• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to (lovingly) tell trainer goodbye??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to (lovingly) tell trainer goodbye??

Hi all; I need some advice. I have recently bought a new horse and have trained with a different trainer for a few weeks while away from home. From this, I've realized that I've "outgrown" my at-home trainer and I feel that it is time to move on.
    I love my trainer as a person and she has been a mentor to me. She is excited for me to get the new horse and work with me. However, I used almost my entire savings purchasing the horse and lessons with her are $100..... If they were $30 each I would continue to partly ride with her just to keep up the relationship, but they are too expensive.
    I don't know how to break this to her, and even my mom says "yeah...that's a tough one..."

Any thoughts????

Thank you!!

Not intending to talk you out of it at all, but what sorts of things made you realize you needed to "move on". Is it more about the cost, which you also mention? Have you already found someone else you want to work with (the trainer you mention riding with while you were away?) or would you just start looking?

I guess more detail might help me think of ways to talk about it with the old trainer. Though the fact is pretty much any reason is still going to disappoint her.

I guess I mean it's not that you have to have any concrete reason for moving to another trainer beyond "I feel in my gut I should." Of course you will be moving your horse to the new trainer's barn, right? You can always come up with the usual excuses about the new barn being closer/cheaper or otherwise more suitable for your changing finances/schedule/etc. In other words don't make it about a critique of the current barn or trainer, just about something more objective like distance, hours, fees, your job schedule, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

I would be very careful about this and I'm not saying that just because I am a trainer. It's just that often when people are making changes they get carried away with the spirit of it all and it's hard to backpedal once you've moved on.

Often the person who knows you best is the person to at least get you going on a new horse. If you move trainers now, you AND the horse will be new to the trainer. Just some food for thought.
      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
      ---
      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily think of it as outgrowing your original trainer. I had a trainer that was fabulous with light, hot horses. Then I bought a different kind of horse and it didn't work so well. It wasn't that I outgrew her per se. The situation just didn't work anymore.

If your relationship was good and you don't make your departure personal, your trainer should get over it-especially if you do well with your new horse. That gives your original trainer the opportunity to claim they taught you everything you know

Good luck with your new horse.
        See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

You might want to take a few lessons with your new horse with the current trainer before deciding to move on. You might not have out grown your trainer as much as outgrown the horse you were riding. It's hard for a trainer to advance a student past the capabilites of a rider/horse combination when the "combination" has gone as far as they can. (This is assuming you outgrew the horse you were riding).

It is a tough decision to make and I wish you luck.

You can always take the cowards way out and tell your trainer that you can not afford lessons for now. Wait a bit and then start with a new trainer. Sad suggestion and a professional should be able to handle your feeling a need for a change. I, however, did not fair so well with telling my trainer that I felt that I needed an equitation trainer for what I was pursuing at the time. She is a dressage trainer and at that time I was riding hunters. She still is snippy with me and that happened 7 years ago. Rather imature on her part.
          Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Comment

A lady that left our barn lied and told everyone that her son was dying. Please... Dont do that

Its gonna be tough any way you do it, ESPECIALLY if you were close

Ive moved on several times, somtimes because of a move, and others because I found another trainer that fit my current horse/pricer range/location/level/discipline, and its always very difficult.

Its ok to be honest, and say that you'd like to see other people lol.
            ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
            http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Your replies have already given me different angles to consider.

I was trying to be vague as to not name drop (especially since I think lots of people read these forums) or give myself away I'll try to give some details:

My current trainer has lots of experience with dressage with baroque type horses, and has the opinion that most "German" dressage is "poorly done" dressage.

Meanwhile, I had the opportunity to try my new horse before I bought him. He is from a very well known barn under international FEI~level trainers (that RI would call "German"). When I first rode with them, I was suspicious (from current RI's opinions).
              However, as I rode with them (and then took what I had learned home with me and rode other horses this way), I realized I was missing some basics in my riding. There were core concepts that I really began to "get" in one lesson at the new barn and could apply across the board and see a big change in my basic riding and the horse's way of going.
              Now, I know that different trainers decide to teach concepts to their students at different points in their riding and perhaps my current RI has a different training system and would bring these "missing concepts" into my lessons at some point. But combined with RI's opinions about "German" riding and then the riding, theory, and quality of horse I discovered at the new barn, I have serious doubts. I think RI is great for timid riders and for an introduction into dressage, but I do seriously think there are some holes in her training system. I am beginning to see some issues in her horses that I (humbly) think are a result.

Unfortunately, because I'm typing this and not saying it, this post could come off as really pompous and as if I spent a day in a fancy barn and suddenly think I am an expert. This is not true! But in speaking to the "new" people about my RI's training system and approach, etc, it seems rather black and white that I would be going down and incorrect road if I were to stay with her.

Not to mention that RI's system of dressage is more geared toward a baroque type horse rather than the warmblood I bought. Again, not saying that that system isn't correct or couldn't work for a warmblood; I don't think her interpretation of the system is correct.

To answer some questions: I do have a new trainer back to home, to try. There are several others that have bean reccommended to me.
              I will not be moving the horse to new trainer's barn as I have my own barn.

I could be a wimp and say that money is my only issue and have found a less expensive trainer. However, she will most likely remind me that I can work off my lessons by helping her at her barn.... I work full time, but I think my excuse will seem to flimsy if I just go "yeah...well....it's not worth it to me" Seems like I'd be saying "yeah, YOU'RE not worth it to me"

Also, yes it will be true that a new trainer will not know me or my horse. But I kind of like that idea..... Maybe because the people at the FEI barn didn't know me at all but greatly improved my riding in a few lessons, and so I'm hoping for that amount of success again(!).

Thanks for listening!

Comment

No, there is nothing wrong with what you are saying

I cant remember the last time Ive had an instructor that could use english fuently enough to badmouth another style lol.

BUT, Ive seen my fair share of bad in EVERY style. Whats important is that YOU felt improvment, excitement over it, and your spirits are up about training with your new horse

That is what horse riding is all about, dont work so much about the other.
                ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've been in that situation and what's worked for me was sitting down and saying "I really appreciate all I've learned from you. I'm at a point where I'd like to try something different. I hope we can still be friends and I look forward to seeing you around" or something like that. If she's a reasonable person, she'll wish you luck. If she reacts badly, well then all the better to leave. You owe her the courtesy of some explanation, but since you're not boarding there, it's not like you need to give 2 weeks notice.

The hard reality is that it's your decision. Of course you don't need to burn any bridges and I certainly wouldn't recommend sharing your assessment of her riding program.

Good Luck and congrats on the new horse.

Comment

"I love you.....but I must leave. Thanks for the memories!"

How about just being honest and expressing appreciation for what you have learned and that you feel it is time for you to move on? You don't really need to give a big explanation. Good luck! Why should this be any different than giving your landlord 30 days notice and moving to a new place?

Comment

You don't need to give a big reason.

[This was a whole paragraph on leaving sufficient notice which I am deleting upon reading more carefully and seeing you don't board with her.]

Depending on your relationship you may also consider a handwritten thank you note describing all the things you love about the trainer, how nice it was riding with her and how much she helped you, mentioning your hopes to keep in touch, and taped to a nice bottle of wine. This can happen right away, or maybe her birthday is convenient, or maybe it would be a nice way to keep the friendly relationship by remembering her for the holidays.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I would just tell your RI that you want to try something different and that you are curious about other training methods (which is the truth and is normal) so you are going to spend some time taking lessons from xyz. Or from a variety of different instructors or clinics only for a while etc. Try to leave it open ended in case you want to come back or consult her for advice in the future. Make sure she knows before you make concrete plans because there will be nothing worse than her finding out through the grape vine.

Remember it's not you, it's me

Comment

"I have loved working with you and you have taught me so much along the way. I am going to expand my education and try learning another school for a while and expand my toolbox as a rider. I would love to keep lines intact for the future as, again I have learned so much from you."

A small gift card or other gift might be nice too.

Comment

well... one thing you need to know is that most trainers will tell a new (or prospective) student that their current/previous trainer sucked and that there are holes etc etc. this is a pretty universal thing trainers do.

do you have anyone you trust that will be willing to give you honest feedback about either trainer and your riding?

and, since there are different schools and systems that will get you where you want to go - what you need to do is find the (correct) system that works for you. this can be difficult - especially if you are not experienced in dressage.

and, while i guess you dont need a reason to quit a trainer, it is always good to not burn bridges.... if it were me, i would try to be honest and point the finger at yourself (i need a change, i am burnt out, etc etc)

you also might want to consider riding with both for a while just to see ....

Comment

Lewin put it very well. Good luck with your new horse!
                              Sunny Days Hanoverians
                              http://www.sunnydayshanoverians.com

Comment

If she's a reasonable person, she'll wish you luck. If she reacts badly, well then all the better to leave.
                                Let's think about this a second.

If you've been with her a long time and she has no idea you are planning to leave, I wouldn't take her first reaction as anything but shock.

After all, you've had X number of weeks to consider it, but to her it's a brand new shock.

Be considerate and allow it to sink in before you take anything to heart. Some things said in the surprise/heat of the moment are things you would never have said if you'd had time to think before you said them.

If that happens, YOU be the one to go back with the olive branch if her friendship is important to you, because she may be too embarrassed over her reaction to approach you.

NJR

NJR
                                Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

new trainer

Hi,

There is a reason platitudes are used (it's not you, it's me!). They are less painful than the truth (I found someone I like better). A few tried and true, and also it sounds like they might actually apply in your case...

You know me too well.
                                  I need a new perspective.
                                  With my new horse I feel it is time to make a change.

I would ask if she would be willing to take me back as a client at some point in the future. It may be an option you want anyway.

Stacey
                                  http://behindthebitblog.com
                                  Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
                                  BTBbrowbands.com
                                  Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

Comment

All you can do is be honest that you've chosen to work with someone else. That it's about what you want to do and that you feel you need something different.

If the trainer is upset, they would be upset no matter what you say. If they're professional, they might not like losing you if they think that the two of you were not finished working together (meaning they felt they could still have helped you), but they will be professional about it.

It's all about professionalism. The worst thing that students do is to leave by slinking away. I realize not everyone can handle confronting someone and speaking the truth, but in the end, it really is the best thing for both of you. Grab the tiger by the tail and say that you're moving on. The worst thing would be for them to feel that you are being STOLEN away by another instructor who is feeding on your excitement or insecurities as a rider. Let the RI know that you have made this decision because of things YOU feel.
                                    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Mentors

How exciting to have a new horse that you're enjoying! Not to worry; everything will work out -- one day. :-)

If your current trainer has been acting as a mentor, what do you think about appealing to her in that mentor's role? Maybe say something like, "Trainer, I find myself once more in need of your advice -- but this time it's alittle tricky." At which point she'll hopefully smile and say, "Oh, just tell me." And then you can say that you have to admit that you got alot out of the training over at XYZ. You're wondering what your mentor would advise, considering that you really do want to follow up on some of the methodology and techniques you learned elsewhere. Would your trainer be willing and comfortable employing some of those techniques, even though in the past she's said they aren't her thing? Or, would she recommend that you take a break from her training, go elsewhere for a few months, and see if that works for you and this particular horse? Be sure to say that you apologize if this is an awkward conversation, but whom else could you ask because you trust her opinion and she knows you so well, no one else is as well-qualified to give you advice, etc.

It may still be awkward, and she may still be offended, but at least you handled it as maturely and honestly as I think is possible in these things. :-)

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. First, you say that the only reason that you're leaving current trainer is that her lessons are $100 and you can't afford them any more. Then you say that your new horse is trained in a different style/school than what current trainer has taught you, and that's the reason you need to move on. Which is it?
                                        In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                        A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                        www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Working...
                                        X