• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by YoungFilly; Sep. 16, 2007, 08:14 PM.

I know of an event rider scoring in the 60s at PSG in Florida at recognized shows while riding her Appendix QH event horse in a Wintec Saddle.

Given her example, I don't think it is the politics. Your post implies that if you spend enough money, and have the expensive horse and the right accessories, you expect to be be given the scores automatically.

Comment

I'm sorry you had a bad day, however, I'm no 'BNT' and I get fairly good scores (consistently) at all the levels because I put in an accurate test and follow the directives. My horses are not expensive movers either. Perhaps you're missing something. Do you have a video of your ride?

Comment

Ride well, train well, and take good care of your horse. The judges don't care who you are nearly as much as we like to think. :-)

Yes, it is expensive. But it's not about what gadgets you have, or if your horse has the poshest browband... Don't tell anyone, but my horse's favorite curb bit is a $30 one I borrowed from a friend.

YES, saddle fit is important. YES good training is important. YES good maintence (adequan/legend/joint supplements, and other preventatives) are important. Are these things expensive? YES.

But politics? Phhh. Not so much. Judges LOVE to see good riding and happy horses. If you go in the ring and exhude these qualities, you will get the scores.

Best of luck!
        www.lizaustindressage.com
        http://www.imajica.net/stallion/olivier/profile/ Dutch Warmblood stallion, Olivier.

Comment

Young Filly,

What type of payoff are you looking for? Believe me, it takes a lot longer than a year to be truly successful in dressage - Even on a nicely trained horse. I doubt the issue is politics and I know the area you are in very well.

If your "payoff" is winning then show only at smaller less competitive shows and you are likely to have some pretty decent results.

If your "payoff" is to really learn to ride and show your horse, be prepared to put in years of time, effort, and money. Only then do you have a chance to be successful in the big shows. Sucess in the show ring is a byproduct of correct riding and harmony with your horse.

I don't think most people realize how long it takes and how difficult and expensive it is. I currently own a lovely horse because his previous owner underestimated these factors. She gave up and I was able to buy her horse.

Perhaps you should take some time to rethink your goals. You can certainly improve your riding without spending the close to 6 figures annually unless you are figuring in the cost of your horse. Good training is important. Doing a million horse shows probably isn't.

I would be happy to discuss this further if you would like to send me a PM.

Comment

I haven't really gotten the successes to really warrant the cost
            What successes are you referring to? We all know there is not much prize money to be had.

Are you thinking you are good enough to beat some pros? What kind of recognition/accolades are you looking for?

Are you expecting people to see you ride and make a bee-line to your door to offer you their horses to ride?

What/who are you riding for??
            *** 4 More Years ***
            *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

Stop spending so much bloody money on shows and get some training. Just because your horse can do PSG, doesn't mean you can. Go train full-time with a QUALIFIED trainer for a year and THEN start showing. I just can't wrap my brain around why you think money=success. It's such an ignorant attitude that seems all too prevalent among those with money. Money doesn't buy the ability to ride well, sorry honey. Sounds to me like you just like showing off how much money you seem to have, rather than actually enjoying the journey of dressage.

Comment

Maybe it is time to re-evaluate the instruction you are receiving.

Comment

Sounds to me like you just like showing off how much money you seem to have, rather than actually enjoying the journey of dressage.
                  Bingo!!

"Seems to have" is the pertinent passage.

BTW, how's that severely malnourished mare that recently came back from the Texas "retirement" home? We haven't heard much about her progress. Why am I not surprised.
                  *** 4 More Years ***
                  *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

If winning PSG would just take money instead of knowledge it wouldn't be a sport would it? You should ride to learn instead of just worrying about ribbons. That way you learn and actually might actually win something at one stage
                    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Comment

I agree with a lot of peeps that have posted here before. The essence is that really good riding is required. And- the big surprise is- that a trainer that is a BNT and charges a fortune is not the necessary assurance that you will learn how to ride. Rid yourself of all the preconceived notions about DQ-stardom and what is needed as far as earthly items..and go back to buying a couple of essential books- study them and get real about if you really want to pursue this direction.

It is a long hard road. Some start early and learn their basics so easily that it doesn't seem so hard to them- and they are truly in FEI level when they are in their early 20's. They can then ride that stuff. Others start as adults and it takes double the effort and persistence and savvy to navigate around on a budget and make the most of it.
                      Rule number one: don't show unless you're ready. If you get lo 60's- go back to the drawing board.
                      Especially in the top notch shows that you have been going to. There is a better way to operate on a budget and learn the ropes and save your $$ for the time when you KNOW that you can RULE and then go to the top shows. Noone has done it in one year...noone that I know or ever have heard of. It takes years to get there...and it's best to spend your $$ on videotaping your lessons , digesting them and truly spending the time to LEARN the details...before you think about buying that tophat!

Be humble- love the sport- it will come but you have to have patience and persistence.

Good Luck!
                      "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

• Original Poster

Last edited by YoungFilly; Sep. 16, 2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

HAHAHA.

A frustrated wannabe DQ ??

Fire the trainer-Fire the instructor.

Throw some more money at the "problem".

Buy all new tack-all new outfit.

Horse was probably ruined by trainer.

Better get brand spanking new one (only from Europe of course)

Tom N
                          U.S. Olympic Waterboarding Team- Beijing 08

Comment

This is where my fan club chimes in and can't give any useful info except on how pissed they are that they haven't a done thing with their lives except harp on how I am living my life.
                            You have a consistent habit of ignoring useful advice - remember the "Gigi's done" thread. And your life (such as we know it from your own posts) to me seems to full of chaos and to be lacking in common sense. Sorry.
                            *** 4 More Years ***
                            *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

• Original Poster

Last edited by YoungFilly; Sep. 16, 2007, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Well that was mature......

If you have spent almost 6 figures showing (holy crap are you sure you calculated that right? ) maybe you meant 5? I personally don't understand your question all that well? Are you looking for reassurance that you aren't getting anywhere because you aren't a "big name" on the FL show scene? I hate to tell you but that's probably not it. While there are politics in every horse sport, I think that is more of a hit or miss thing and if you've spent almost 100K showing and you aren't getting anywhere, then it's not the politics that are the problem.

If you've spent that much money and aren't getting the "success" you want, then you need to drop back down a level or two or stop showing altogether until you get some better training. Even a hack can get lucky and have a good day sometimes so if you're not even having success some of the time, it's time to revisit your abilities.

Something is wrong---fix your riding then get back to showing before you waste anymore money.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Comment

I guess the question is what are you expecting/hoping to achieve?

Great scores? Awards? These you'll have to ride for. If others are riding better than you, oh well. Back to the drawing board. More lessons, more sweat.

Recognition from your peers? Your picture in the GMO newsletter? Now this is where the politics comes in. And rightly so.

If that's the issue, and it's that important to you, you've really got to learn to play the game. Unless you are Isabelle Werth's doppelganger, your greatness as a rider and the wonderfulness of your horse is only going to get you so far. You've got to be out there being a face and a name. Volunteer for the GMO, scribe, schmooze, chat up the judges and officials. Be a known "Go To" person. This is how you "succeed" in any amateur persuit, be it dressage or theater (is there a difference?)

It isn't about the money you spend. Really.

Comment

you're assuming you should beat a lot of people with a lot more riding lessons under their belt than you. you haven't been at this all that long.

there was a series of threads earlier addressing the level your horse had shown in europe. you might want to refer to them.

you have the seat and the forwardness appropriate and typical of a person at your stage of learning, and that means that you aren't going to always win, because other riders will be further along than you. a person has to learn to accept that when they show at the better shows. it's either that or stay at the schooling and smaller shows.

in many years i saw virtually nothing of 'who you are' and how wealthy you are making it any easier. i saw weak tests, fairly scored. we all go thru the same thing, you know, no one starts winning instantly.

what that money buys that helps success is not bling browbands and new saddles - it buys riding lessons, and very often, very appropriate, suitable horses for the rider, well chosen by a wise trainer. you DO have that - you DO have a very nice, suitable horse. now you just need to work at it over a little longer period of time.

i recall when you first started posting here, you were quite confident that you would be riding and winning at the upper levels very quickly, in big competition. you had, frankly, very unrealistic expectations and a very unrealistic timetable. maybe you're finding out now what you were told back then by just about everyone that responded....it just doesn't happen that way.

dressage judges are mostly very independent, and very knowledgeable. most of them i've met aren't from wealthy families at all, and quite a few of them aren't particularly interested in how much money other people have, in fact, quite a few of them appear to be quite disdainful of the whole 'blingy' thing as well as the weak rider on the expensive horse. years ago i was walking with a judge at a show and asked, 'what about the last bay?', an expensive and very fancy horse that did an erratic, disobedient test for an overmounted rider...he grinned....'i slaughtered it'. people like hilda gurney, linda zang, most of the really super judges i really respect, they are very independent people. they've judged for eyars, if they are still doing it, they have learned long ago to be quite impervious to things like how much money people have or how cute their horse is.

most of them have many decades of working their way up in dressage. most of them are very, very dedicated and take their job very, very seriously, and they aren't schmoozing with customers when they judge and giving them unfairly high marks. judging isn't something you take up to get wealthy, or to be popular, especially not to be popular...at least in part because at some point someone who is not winning is going to accuse the judge of bias. judging is not something a person does to become popular.

there is the exceptional case from time to time, but there are many more people claiming it happens than what realistically is going on. i used to listen to people claim it and then make a point of watching their tests. the problem was that they didn't understand how weak their performance really was, and if they ever read the judge's sheet, they denied every single thing they read on it.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungFilly View Post
                                      Yeah. This is where my fan club chimes in and can't give any useful info except on how pissed they are that they haven't a done thing with their lives except harp on how I am living my life.

That "severely malnourished mare" is doing good today, thanks a lot.
                                      I have done it and on a very limited budget.

Success=HARD work.

Comment

I cannot help but agree with Sabine. Time and training are so important.

Another point, buying a horse trained to PSG, or higher, does not mean you have purchased a PSG horse. It is quite common for the European trained horses to be trained in the necessary movements, but that does not mean that they are confirmed in them.

It takes an educated rider to continue their education.

I can think of more than one person who has spent more than you, and never gotten into the BNT category or even "famous for their riding" club.
                                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X