• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trainer Selectivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer Selectivity

Why do some trainers only teach students who ride Training Level thru Grand Prix, for example, or First Level thru Grand Prix? Of course, it is their right to teach whomever they please. I'm just wondering whether or not they expect the beginner or novice rider to receive their training elsewhere before they are approached for lessons? Are beginner or novice riders really so difficult to teach? Also, are Training Level riders considered novice riders? I'd appreciate any positive thoughts. Thanks.
    You either go to the hospital or you get back on.
    -George Morris

I honestly feel bad for the people training people here to start intro dressage.

When I switched from AQHA to dressage, my friend helped me rather than a trainer. I was clueless about most everything as far as contact. I'd been throwing horses away my entire life!

The last two group lessons I watched of very new dressage riders, they were struggling with the same thing I had and the poor instructor was confused and trying to get them to STOP jerking on the mouth to "drop their head" or "get a headset"

UGH its such a hard transition that I dont blame some from not wanting to mess with it.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

You're right, it is a hard transition, but learning to ride is hard. I just feel that every dressage rider was a beginner once. It seems that if a trainer is not good or patient with a beginner, that's one thing. However, if it is about not wanting to "stoop" to such low levels, that's another. I would love to hear from trainers who do not teach anyone under training or first level. I'm just curious. I'm one of those "Why is the sky blue?" people. This topic has made me realize I should hug my trainer for the patience, sweat, and tears she showed me when I came to her after being in the H/J world for only 3 years before deciding to switch to dressage. Come to think of it, those trainers deserve hugs, also.
      -George Morris

Comment

Another thought is just how difficult it can be to make money as a pro, so you have to be selective.

If a brand new beginner shows up and says she is transitioning or just starting or whatever but wants to spend a LOT of money to get where she can, the trainer might make an exception.

Otherwise, if the trainer has a relatively full barn, they need to get the most money they can from that stall. Riders with upper level horses are often more likely to spend more money on shows and on more horses. Trainers make a lot of money from shows and from sales, so that's important.

As far as haul-in lessons go, there are only so many hours in a day, and for a pro to get their name out there (or maintain an already good reputation), it's best to have upper level riders out there showing and basically advertising for you.

I've always managed to find people that will work with me, but I grew up riding as a trainer's kid, so when I was making the transition to dressage, I had a lot of experience already.

Also, money aside, from personal experience, I really preferred for someone else to work with beginners (except for the rare, really exceptional talent) because I preferred the more advanced riders, especially those with their own horses that I was training (much more interesting to school them together). Again, since there are only so many hours in a day, I felt my expertise was better spent on more advanced riders if there were other instructors available that were perfectly capable with the beginners.

But there are people out there that love to work with beginners, it can just be hard to sort out the good beginner trainers from those that can only teach beginners because they are basically beginners themselves.

Comment

It could be a money-based decision: If your student is competing at x level, you can assume they're planning on continuing to move up th levels, that they're serious about it to a somewhat measurable degree. You can also look forward to things like show-day fees, etc.

It can also be simply an issue of suitability. Just as it takes a special kind of person to effectively teach at the Grand Prix level, it takes a special kind of person to effectively teach beginners. Of course, someone who is capable of teaching the higher levels obviously knows the basics-- but maybe it isn't their strength to convey them to someone just starting out. Or, maybe they just don't enjoy teaching to beginners. If they've got enough students to be able to pick and choose, more power to them.

Comment

If I had the choice and the availability of clientele to have my choice, I'd never teach another beginner again. It takes a level of patience that I don't have readily available I've been told that I teach beginners and young children well, but it is an incredible mental strain for me.

Comment

I really like teaching beginners and most of my students are novice to intermediate (intro-first levelish). Some of my trainer friends don't teach novices, though. I've never really seen it be because of elitism. Most people who I would want to associate with are aware that everyone needs to start somewhere. I'm sure there are some people somewhere who think it is beneath them but they're probably pretty nasty people anyway.

Usually, like others have said, it's an issue of a lack of patience/ability or a money issue. It takes a very different skill set to teach beginners. If you have been riding so long it all comes naturally, it can be hard to break things down into the little pieces you need to teach it to a beginner. I know when I first started teaching, it was difficult to explain things like how to post, or how to sit a canter, just because I hadn't had to think about it for years. Requiring a certain level of competence ensures that you're speaking the same language, as it were. Progress can also be very slow with beginners, and they may not be ready to or may not want to compete.

For a trainer running a show barn, their money and focus is in having horses in training with them and taking their clients to shows as well as lessons. A beginner rider isn't going to put a horse in training if it's suitable for someone at their level, and they're not going to be showing often if at all or doing well when they do show. It's also a matter of focus--there are a few barns that are a little bit of everything, but most have a relatively narrow subset of clients so that they can meet everyone's needs, if that makes sense. It is harder to juggle having riders of all different levels in your barn.
              exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

CosMonster, I admire you for your ability and willingness to teach beginners. When I was teaching, I rarely taught the more advanced students in a formal lesson setting - that was the head trainer's job. You bring up a great point about having to completely break down your knowledge into the most basic elements. Despite it being frustrating and somewhat taxing, it REALLY taught me a lot and made me rethink my own riding, even the most simple things that I rarely ever considered. I really appreciate that part of it, and I do love the young'uns I taught

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I can certainly understand some of the points made for not wanting to teach beginners. It never occurred to me look at the money side of things, in that upper level riders bring more money to a barn than beginner/intermediate riders. I just assumed that novice riders were like me in that they would want their horses in full training and would want to show when ready. Thanks for being candid, as several of the responses have brought "aha" moments to me.
                  -George Morris

Comment

i would think that it would be more fun to teach upper level dressage riders and talented horses than teach beginners on beginner type horses. and i agree that it takes patience that some trainers with talent just do not have for beginner type riders that cant master feel.
                    hey if someone doesnt want to teach beginners, wouldnt you rather know up front than take lessons from someone uninterested and just collecting your check?

Comment

I have a friend 'on the dark side' (h/j world) who's been a trainer for decades. He is one of the best, even though his name isn't readily recognizable. He's qualified kids for Medal/Maclay finals and won at WEF. He'll take any rider and any horse with the "want to" and make both better than they ever dreamed of being. Never liked the 'up-downers' - (patience/temperament thing more than anything else).

Well, he moved to AL and started working out of a barn that had a lot of kids. Many showing at short stirrup level. Most cross-rails and falling on their heads/getting run off with a lot. That was two years ago.

His kids have been moving up the divisions in leaps. One (who spent the most time falling on her head and getting run off with) was USEF Green Medium Pony CH and Green Pony Grand CH in 2009. Others, who could barely post, are showing at 3' - 3'6" levels.

He's still not STARTING kids (the whole idea makes him shake) - but once they come to him, they learn to be horsemen and really RIDE. 10 year olds who come out of the ring and are asked "Well - what about that round?" And answer "I forgot to put my leg on him through that one combination - I knew it the minute I didn't."

The trainers who have the ability to START riders are invaluable. Just like the packer-lesson horses who do their share. It's not a place for everyone. And those trainers/instructors may not have the skill - or the drive - or the experience to take those riders to the middle-upper levels.

The FEI trainers who have the experience and the ability to share their knowledge with others to bring riders and horses along into the middle-upper levels are invaluable - where would our young riders be without them?

Where would they be without EITHER ONE? And the best instructors/trainers know what they're good at and don't let their egos spoil their students' chances.

The smart trainers pick and choose based on what THEY have to offer.
                      www.ayliprod.com
                      Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

for me, it's the enjoyability factor. think of it this way. you are a calculus professor at Yale, and you've been hired to help a second grader with their math homework. How many margaritas will you want at the end of the night?
                        teaching "up down" lessons takes a totally different set of communication tools, patience, technique than teaching someone a canter pirouette.

That said, once someone can WTC safely and not haul on their horse's mouths I love to teach them at any level. I particularly enjoy teaching effective equitation. when someone uses their leg properly for the first time, their horse glides over with little effort, and the rider's face lights up.... seriously that makes it all worth it.
                        www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                        chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Working...
                        X