• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The time my helmet saved me. Add yours..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The time my helmet saved me. Add yours..

I had been fixing some fences earlier in the day, and had left a few tools on the back side of my really huge mounting block. The mounting block was once a small porch for a mobile home; it is about 4.5 fee square. Later, while mounting my horse, I put my left foot too close to the edge of the block. As I started to swing my leg over, my foot slipped off the edge, and I fell straight down, slamming the back of my head onto a steel pipe post driver. Now I did not, until very recently, ride consistantly with a helmet, but I had put one on that day. Could have been a life changer.

I was lucky that day, but still did not ride with a helmet all the time after that (I am somewhat better at putting my tools away, however). Now I am committed to ride with one, every time.

Your turn...

Helmet saved my life...while doing a training ride over 2'9" fence in November, horse refused at last minute - I didn't. Shot like a rocket straight down on the center of my head and broke my C6/C7 vertebrae, as well as nerve and disc damage. My GPA helmet saved my life, my legs and everything else that day - 4 months later I am back to riding with no apparent lasting effects! Cost of helmet is worth every penny.

Comment

15 years ago I went to the barn with dirty hair. I never rode in a helmet except when jumping. That day my vanity got the better of me, so I put on a helmet to hide my greasy hair.

After a hard 60 minute lesson, I was cooling my horse outside. I stopped to tal to a friend along the paved driveway. My horse suddenly spooked and dumped me head-first into the paved driveway.

My helmet split in half like an egg upon impact. At the ER that day, as they sewed up my busted hands and knees, the docs passed the helmet around and kept coming in to stare at me. I did not have a head injury.

I've worn a helmet ever since. No exceptions.

Comment

I've always worn a helmet, every time, every ride. I've had a few accidents over the years - but one recently landed me in the ER.

I was riding a pony in the field and she spooked and took off. As she took a hard turn, she slipped and went down. I managed to get mostly clear but she landed on my lower body and my head whiplashed down and hit some rocks. Helmet remained intact...I was confused and disoriented. I managed to get back on the pony but I passed out as soon as I was back on...I managed to walk back to the barn, but I was vomiting and nearly blacking out the whole walk back. An ambulance was called and when they came I was in shock.
        I suffered 3 broken ribs and a concussion. I can't even imagine what the damage would have been had I not worn my helmet. An innocent hack in the field turned into a close call that was too close for comfort. I still think about how worried my husband was and how that would have affected him had I been more severely injured. He was deployed at the time. He purchased me a new helmet and sent it to me to keep me safe.

Comment

I've got a few, but this is the one I tell people- it reiterates the need for "Every horse, every ride".

I was probably 14, out at the barn on a lovely summer afternoon. Fooling around following a very casual lesson, my friends and I decided to have a round of musical horses. I was riding my extremely reliable gelding; two friends were riding extremely solid citizen schoolies.

We'd been riding our 'new' horses for maybe three minutes when a completely freak hail storm erupted. The sun kept shining, the wind didn't pick up, it was just suddenly raining golf balls. All three extremely reliable horses exploded, all three of us came off. I managed to hang on just long enough to get whipped around in front of the schoolie's chest; according to witnesses I got nailed a couple of times with his knees before losing my grip and getting run over.

I stood up and ran after him, started calling to my friends to see if they were OK, everything but check myself over- and couldn't quite figure out what everyone was yelling at me about. I also couldn't figure out why my leg was all wet and what the crap dangling around my neck was.

He'd stepped on my leg and head with his back hooves. My leg still has a hoof-shaped dent in it, and my helmet was split in half- when I stood up the harness caught on my ears and the halves hung about my neck. My Mom kept the halves for years.
          bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
          free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

I saw a guy make a bad fall against a railing the helmet saved his head but not his neck , he broke it and died on the scene. I also have seen a guy get kicked in the face the helmet didn't protect him there, his face was a mess. It is horrible when accidents happen and always better to wear a helmet often it is a live saver but crap happens just the same. I should wear a helmet off the horse instead of on the horse because all my hospital visits have never ever been horse related.
            Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Comment

Nothing dramatic here. I was posting along, turning right, when my foot suddenly slipped out of the stirrup! I plopped on his back, he hopped a bit - "what are you doing up there?", I shot off over his shoulder, face first into the arena. My nose was VERY sore, I had arena butn on my upper lip and chin.
              I know I would have had a broken nose at least if not for the helmet.

L

Comment

I have been dumped on my head on a paved road and only saw stars. My daughter has been dumped on her head when pony refused the ditch it had never refused before. The helmets saved us, duh. I'll even wear my safety vest when hacking outside if I feel I've got to work my horse, but its a windy spooky day. My horse had a powerful buck when a baby and she also flipped me off flat on my back a couple times. I am very respectful of any horse's capability to injure me. Limiting liabilities is a good thing.

Comment

I was in a jumping lesson during the winter in the indoor...my horse popped a fence...I have no idea what he did but I think he put in one more stride and I can flying off...landed on my but and whipped backwards on my head....got up...was a little disoriented, thought I was fine and started riding again. Then drove the truck and trailer home but felt like I was drunk driving...a very wierd experience...got to the barn an 930 pm with noone around, unloaded my horse kneeled down to take his boots off and had major vertigo...was weaving and stumbling down the aisle...called my trainers barn and one of the girls took me to ER where they told me I had a concussion...helmet saved me totally....
                  For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Comment

Two come to mind... First one I'd only been riding a couple of years and decided to switch to this greenie-wannabe-trainer because I didn't know any better and neither did my non-horse mom. She thought it was a brilliant idea to take me out into an open field right next to a huge, busy interstate for my first time out of the arena. We were trotting along and the horse took off at an uncontrolled dead run. Just when I thought I was hanging on he took a sharp right and off I flew into the air and hit a couple tree trunks in the air with my head and back and landed on one with my back. I cracked the helmet and fractured a vertebra.

Next time was another horse who ended up turning into a pasture pet because the vets all agreed he just wasn't all there and wasn't safe for anyone. I couldn't find a trainer, cowboy, or crazy person anywhere to try to ride him. I was 15 and he was my first horse. It was the day before a show and we were just finishing in the outdoor arena (pipe rail). We got down to the end and he spun around and freaked. We were in a western saddle and he was at a dead gallop headed straight towards the fence (with his nose cranked to the side- now that's talent). From all of my other experiences I braced to veer either direction and he decided to jump it- 5' for a western lazy paint horse. I flew off over his head and onto the ground. I looked up and saw him stuck and teeter tottering on the railing above my head! Someone thank goodness saw and ran out and grabbed me by the feet and pulled me out of the way just as he came off the fence with his hoof headed straight towards my face! Gives me shivers. They pulled, but not far enough because he came down on the top of my helmet. Thank goodness it wasn't my head. Gives me chills still to this day. Fractured another darn vertebra.

Comment

I've managed to bonk myself a few times on the noggin and the helmet has always lightened the blow. The fall that sticks with me was one I witnessed. We were out fox hunting. The footing was great and the foxes were running. A lady had a bad jump over a coop. She landed slightly off balance and there was a sharp corner immediately following. She slammed the ground head first and knocked herself out cold. It seemed like forever that she laid there not moving. You darn right that helmet saved her life! Ps. It's really hard to get an ambulance to get someone in the middle of the woods.

Comment

I have two that come to mind as well. First one was when I was in high school, was cooling out a horse after a jump lesson and she spooked and bolted. I went headfirst into the wall right under the viewing window to the indoor arena.

Second one was on April Fool's Day...gosh, must be close to 10 years ago at this point. Was getting on my OTTB gelding in the indoor. At this point he was still occasionally a little...unreliable about standing still for mounting. I put one foot in the stirrup, went to swing my leg over and he bolted. I was halfway on the horse and knew I wasn't going to manage to get all the way up, so I decided to bail. Right about that time he swerved, and I went headfirst into one of the 8" x 8" wood support posts for the arena. To add insult to injury (or maybe just more injury ) the post I hit was right next to the door that led to the barn aisle. The CONCRETE barn aisle. So I hit the post, blacked out, and flopped like a dead fish onto the concrete.

Fortunately there were people in the aisle cleaning stalls, and they ran out immediately and called 911. I woke up having no clue where I was or what just happened - it was honestly one of the scariest experiences of my life. After a while most of it came back, and by the time I got to the ER I had pretty much remembered everything...but I'm still missing 20 seconds or so, I'm guessing. There wasn't much visible damage to the helmet, but I got a new one anyway. CT showed a mild concussion. I consider myself extremely lucky.
                        ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

I came off a greenie when I was about 11 in a wreck that has kept me helmeted every ride ever since.

I was schooling a pretty sensible gelding for his owner, who had asked me to do some canter work over ground poles. Assuming that this was part of the horse's regular training schedule, after warming up I cantered him on a circle toward a ground pole for what turns out was the first time the horse had ever seen one and at the last minute he FREAKED OUT, balking and spinning. This was an athletic 6-yr-old arab, and he took off bucking, interspersed with dead bolts around the enormous arena. I was sticking to him like a burr, when in his blind panic he almost hit one of the oil drums set up in the arena for the barrel racers--at the last minute he swerved and I didn't. I hit the unyielding water-filled oil drum head first and was knocked out cold for a few seconds, I'm told. I woke up with a headache and a faceful of sandy footing--up my nose, in my mouth, covering my eyelashes. Funny the details you really remember.

I had on a cheapie Troxel velvet-covered helmet--at the time I LOVED it for making me feel like a "real" jumper rider for some reason, probably because I thought it looked a bit like the helmet my idol at the time, Greg Best, was wearing in the poster I had in my room--and that helmet was cracked inside the smooshed and dented velvet covering. It certainly saved me serious brain injury if not my life. As it was, I had a mild concussion. My best friend was on the rail when this happened, and she was the "I'm too good to need a helmet" kind, and that day she started wearing a helmet and has ever since. That was almost 20 years ago.

More recently, I was in a lesson with a friend of mine and a Great Blue Heron landed on the arena fence--something we haven't seen before or since. It was stunning. My friend's steady-eddie schoolie agreed, and did a spin-and-bolt from a halt that managed to drop my friend over the mare's shoulder. Even though it was a straight drop off a little 14.2 mare from the halt, my friend hit her head hard and her helmet cracked halfway up the back. She walked away from that one with a sore neck but no concussion, thanks to her helmet.

Comment

I have just this year started wearing my helmet with every ride or drive, even wore it doing ground work with a rehab spooker as well as while hosing her off last week.

I had a very bad carriage accident last fall that should have killed me. I was not wearing a helmet. as the horse was rounding the turn and making a break for the open arena door, I was thinking about my son being motherless...
                            ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

I almost always rode in my helmet, but usually took it off first thing when I got down. Too hot, too uncomfortable. But this day I'd been jumping and had bell boots on my TB gelding. There'd been some mud and I wanted to get them off before they chafed. I was squatting down fiddling with the boot and he reached his hind leg up to brush at a fly and got me right in the temple. I was bowled over a couple times, but unhurt. THe farrier, who was there at the time, said he'd seen a guy get killed exactly the same way.

The second time I was just riding around outside the barn, waiting for the person I was going to trail ride with to finish tacking up. Irish must've been stung by something because all of the sudden he exploded in the huge, rodeo-horse bucks! The BM said I hit 10 up before I started back down. I landed on a hard-packed gravel parking lot, head-first. My back hurt for six months, but no head injury.

StG

Comment

Not me but I watched a lesson this past winter where a horse left out a stride to a 3'9" oxer and the rider did a pretty good imitation of the Flying Wallenda Brothers. She sailed about 20 feet through the air and landed with her head slammed against the arena wall. She was pretty dazed/out for about 30 seconds but was otherwise unhurt. I could only imagine what would have happened to her head had she not been wearing a helmet. I could hear the slam against the wall all the way across the arena.

Comment

I always wear my helmet when working with the young ones - on the ground as well.

My story:

I was riding my horse on the road. A van went by too fast - a stone flew up and hit my gelding. He jumped into the ditch, fell, rolled over top of me and as he was getting up his size 4 hoof landed on my helmet - shattered the helmet instead of my head.

Comment

Barn buddies and I were just discussing this topic!

My (now retired) gelding and I were on a walking trail ride with a friend. Now my horse is a parade horse so spooking was a rarity. We were crossing a paved part of the path, maybe 8 feet wide. His back feet scrambled and he fell. Only my leg was under him but my head hit. I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing my helmet!

I'm 33 and wear mine always. Hot days, cold days, horse show or non.

Becky & the boys
                                    Becky & Red
                                    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Comment

my "trusty" Caliente

....about 20+ years ago, I was riding my brandy new OTTB in the indoor arena, she was a young mare, who, by the way, was ever-so-gentle and very quiet! There was a woman riding in the arena as well as a few others at the other end. This particular woman was a virtual beginner and she'd recently purchased a horse that was way above her level of expertise! I used to make a point of avoiding her when she rode in the arena as I had witnessed many of her close calls (and yes, we did talk to the trainer about her but that's another story for another topic).

Anyway, she came into the ring after I was already riding, I didn't even know she was on the property but when I saw her, I thought to myself, "just relax, what harm could come if I stayed away from her and continued working on the walk". Well, I guess I was wrong because she proceeded to trot at a pace so quick that she was barely able to keep posting correctly. I then decided that I was better off on my feet rather than astride so I headed to the short corner of the arena, planned to do a small circle and head for the dismounting area when....suddenly she actually rode her horse into my mine because she was unable to slow him down. My horse did a short bolt but I collected her within moments and was about to ride past the next corner and head out of there when she hit me again, incredible, huh? Anyway, the second "bump" to my girl was obviously a bit too much and she bolted into a dead, flat out run, stumbled and I came "flying off" and hit the wall, with my head! I was wearing one of those skull caps from the "olden days", a Caliente (anyone remember those?) and even with the force of hitting that wall, it did not even get a dent. However, I, on the other hand, managed to do some serious damage to my cheekbone, eye and ear but I am completely positive that had it not been for the helmet, I would not be here today!
                                      Does Class Always Show? You bet it does!
                                      http://classalwaysshows.blogspot.com
                                      "To Thine Own Thoroughbred Be True"

Comment

I was trying a horse for sale at my home barn that I had seen go many, many times with his junior rider. I had taken a lesson on him at night. Something from the trail spooked him, and he bolted back to the other end of the arena. It's a small ring, so it was no big deal and I quickly got him back.

A few days later, we were riding in a busy ring where I had to keep stopping while the jumping lesson proceeded. I decided to bail on that ring, and went over to the schooling ring where there were more kids but no jumping. He volunteered a trot, so I took off my spurs thinking I did not want to goose him accidentally, since he was feeling rather fresh. Well, that's the last thing I remember about that ride. He took off running, and I was totally panicked and screaming (so I've been told.) I do have one hazy image of being in the air above his back, and someone said he was doing a running buck. Whatever happened, I came off and hit the rail, which is metal piping. It knocked me out cold and dislocated my shoulder.

I spent a night in the ICU because there was some possible bleeding, but it turned out to be nothing. I had some post-concussion symptoms for a few months, and did not get on a horse again for two months.

I have no doubt that I would be dead or disabled without that helmet.
                                        2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Working...
                                        X