• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Opening the mouth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening the mouth...

My young mare will be 5 in April, and has about a year under saddle.

Recently (within the last 2-3 months) she has begun to open/gape her mouth intermittently during work. It can be when she's feeling heavy and resistant, but also occurs when she's been working quietly on the bit. It causes her to be very inconsistent.

Previously, she's been quiet and steady in the contact, no gaping or other avoidances. She just had her teeth done last week, she's been adjusted by the chiro and does not appear to be sore or off anywhere. We haven't changed saddles or bits, and other than being a little more tense/anxious than she used to be, she's pretty much the same horse.

It almost seems like she has some anxiety about having contact with the bit. She can hack on the buckle quietly with no gaping or chomping, but we're obviously not doing correct work when she's poking around on the forehand like a pleasure horse. I'm hesitant to just 'strap it shut' with a flash or figure eight; when I've had her in a flash before she becomes even more resistant to contact and sucks behind the leg while trying to poke her nose in the air.

For reference, as I said she'll be 5 in April and she's pretty solid as far as Training level work, and we're in the process of fine tuning her leg yields and other lateral work/lengthenings. I'd like to figure out the source/cause of the gaping and eliminate it so we can move forward correctly.

I would not worry at this point. You say you are fine tuning her leg yields/lateral work. for some horses unless they have been playing with moving away from the drawn back leg since early days under saddle, this is a big step.

Be sure that you aren't asking for too much correctness too soon.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I just went through this with my older (now 17 year old) mare. My instructor started noticing the gaping during our lessons. After I ruled out pain and any health issues, I figured out that it was a combination of me getting too handsy and my mare simply being resistant to working correctly.
      I use a flash noseband for most rides and I found that the tightness of it affects how well my mare goes in it. She tends to be heavy in my hands when it is too loose, but goes normally when it is snug. It took me over a week of playing with different adjustments to find out what worked and what didn't. She used to have a figure eight noseband before I bought her and she absolutely hated that.

So yeah, just my own personal experience.
      "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

go here http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=223453

also go here http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116
        and read page 1 and all links on page one

Comment

I stopped having this problem with my very sensative horse when I retrained the half halt with my seat only.

It took a long time of me just sitting back and waiting but it was worth it because the more sensative horse will also lift so nice when their mouth is happy in connection
          ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
          http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Thoroughbred ran in a figure-8 on the track. When I bought him, his mouth continued to gape under-saddle as well (I did not use a flash/drop/etc) in a simple D-ring bit, even with no rein/mouth contact. I changed bits and initially put him in a simple D-ring snaffle with a shaped/sweet-iron mouthpiece and low port. The port is low enough (usually under 2'' will not interfere with the pallet) to not interfere with the pallet at all, however it provides a little tongue relief. Same as humans, horses carry their tongues against the top of their hard pallet, so a bit restricts their ability to lift their tongue and slide saliva to the back of their throat, particularly with their head at the vertical or behind. Some horses do not seem to mind however I have found some to start gaping their mouths when they cannot lift their tongues. With a little tongue relief, they can lift their tongues enough and, as in my gelding's case, they's snap their mouths shut. Only problem is it (a port) is not legal in the ring :S Just something else to maybe try/consider

ETA: a double-jointed mouthpiece might also offer more tongue relief (???) for competition. Technically it places more pressure on the tongue, however I would think the horse would be able to move it more easily to lift their tongue and swallow, so it might make a horse happier.
            ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
            ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Agree on the port. Horses outgrow snaffles and opening their mouth is one way to escape the pressure of a bit.

If you insist on using a legal bit, a french link will give your horse some relief. It is still a tongue pressure bit, but the link spreads pressure out over a wider area v.s. a single jointed snaffle.

Many people I know train in ports and slip in a snaffle for tests. Horses learn when they are relaxed. If a simple change in the way your bit is shaped relaxes your horse than I would do it.

99 % of your time is training, not showing. It is hard to accomplish much if all your horse can think of is fighting the bit.

Of course you need to be strong enough to not listen to what everyone else tells you to do, listen to your horse.

Comment

Has she had her teeth done recently? At this age they should be seen by a dentist every 6 months. If her teeth aren't balanced she may need to open her mouth to do what you are asking. It could be causing pain in her jaw or poll. With mouth issues I would start with the mouth then go from there.

Edited to add that a GOOD dentist can also help with bit fitting...
                On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

put a flash, or drop, or figure 8 noseband on her, adjust it properly (snug) and continue riding

Comment

I disagree on flash nosebands. Strapping a mouth shut is never an acceptable solution, at least not in my opinion. The horse is opening its mouth to evade the bit for a reason. Either the rider has to change or the bit has to change.

Forcing the mouth shut with a flash or crank will make the horse start to evade in other ways.

An extremely common evasion that you cannot see easily is for the horse to suck its tongue back up into its throat. When the horse does this, it takes the pressure off the tongue, but it then restricts its own air flow. So, when the horse starts working harder, needs to breathe more, its air flow is restricted and it can panic, and act out in many ways.

Comment

I agree with howardh. The OP states the teeth were just done last week, I would want to know who did them and what they found. Was the mouth bad? Did they find anything strange, do a lot of work? Did you ave the horse's mouth evaluated for bit fit? Did you give the horse a few days rest and maybe some anti-inflammatories after the dental work?

The horse is telling you something, especially if it just started a couple months ago.
                      On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Originally posted by howardh View Post
                        I disagree on flash nosebands. Strapping a mouth shut is never an acceptable solution, at least not in my opinion. The horse is opening its mouth to evade the bit for a reason. Either the rider has to change or the bit has to change.

Forcing the mouth shut with a flash or crank will make the horse start to evade in other ways.

An extremely common evasion that you cannot see easily is for the horse to suck its tongue back up into its throat. When the horse does this, it takes the pressure off the tongue, but it then restricts its own air flow. So, when the horse starts working harder, needs to breathe more, its air flow is restricted and it can panic, and act out in many ways.
                        This.

The Thoroughbred I mentioned above would suck his tongue back as an evasion and as a result had to wear a tongue-tie (piece of material that ties their tongues down to lie flat on the bottom of their mouth) on the track when he raced or worked (timed gallop) so that he would be able to breathe and thus run.

I personally do not find 'specialized' (as I call them, for lack of a better word - drop, figure-8, crank, etc) nosebands acceptable solutions either. Solve the root of the issue (which the OP seems intent on anyways, so kudos to them!).
                        ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

My mare hated the flash so I switched to a crank. (She also hated a very thin headstall as being thin it creates more pressure points.)

Sometimes (rarely any more) I have to ride with it tight, mostly I ride on a medium setting. I have now added a flash without her protesting. We rarely need either very tight any more.

If she just got her teeth done (assuming they were done correctly) she might have experienced problems before getting them done and the mare may still remember and be reacting to that remembered discomfort. If not it just may be that time in her training where you need to tighten up a bit on the crank.

Just remember to not always have the crank / flash on the tightest setting - start with it looser and if she's not listening then tighten as needed.
                          Now in Kentucky

Comment

This at first
                            Valentina: If she just got her teeth done (assuming they were done correctly) she might have experienced problems before getting them done and the mare may still remember and be reacting to that remembered discomfort.
                            from Heinz 57 : when I've had her in a flash before she becomes even more resistant to contact and sucks behind the leg while trying to poke her nose in the air.
                            If she was previously sore from her mouth...strapping it shut might have hurt even more...and come back to first quote.

Shutting a horse mouth with a flash, figure eight or crank is not a good solution for a horse that never had problem with its bit before.

Sometimes horses get a bit nervous/anxious as the work goes on and up the levels but still, after a while the horse should come back to his 'normal' state when he gets the exercices correctly.
                            If a horse would have had a mouth problem from the beginning, and all the other options had been tried, then maybe adding a flash could be considered. But not at first resort, not on a one year training 5yrs old that just had teeth problem. My opinion.
                            ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                            I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                            HORSING mobile training app

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                              I agree with howardh. The OP states the teeth were just done last week, I would want to know who did them and what they found. Was the mouth bad? Did they find anything strange, do a lot of work? Did you ave the horse's mouth evaluated for bit fit? Did you give the horse a few days rest and maybe some anti-inflammatories after the dental work?

The horse is telling you something, especially if it just started a couple months ago.
                              The teeth were done by Dr. Solomon up at Portland Meadows; I was present and felt/saw for myself what was found before the work was done. She had some slightly sharper edges on the outsides of the upper molars, but nothing severe. No hooks, no waves, just the beginnings of some points on the outer edge. It was a fairly routine float using power tools, and YES she was given more than a few days off and was made comfortable for the duration.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'd prefer to stick with something legal, yes, and as I said I'm not interested in just strapping her mouth shut to "solve" the problem. After our show this weekend, I have a theory about this issue but I think another separate thread is in order. We had a lot of success this weekend and I think I have some difficult choices to make. I scribed for one of the judges Saturday and then rode for her Sunday, and she gave me some very thought-provoking suggestions regarding this very issue and bit choices.

Comment

Please definitely share any wisdom or insight you have learnt so we can all learn, when you get the chance. I for one am definitely interested to find out more (if you're willing to share of course) - you never know when further knowledge/ideas might come in handy in the future
                                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Heintz, please do share if you are willing. I too have been following this thread with interest.

Thanks!
                                  Terri Chabaud
                                  Zydeco Farm/Zydeco Sport Horses
                                  http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/ZydecoFarm/

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have the tests in front of me right now, but one of the comments that provoked a lot of thought for me on the way home was regarding being careful not to overload the hindquarters at this early stage in her training, before she has developed the strength to really carry herself. There were also comments about helping her balance and push evenly from behind so she can come evenly into both reins.

I also ran into her as I was picking up my test at the coffee stand, and she reiterated her comment on my second test that she felt the mare would benefit from a thicker, german-silver type mouthpiece. Yes, one of those expensive KK types... which does not surprise me. My last greenie loved his, but up until a few months ago this mare had always been happy with what I had her in, so I never felt like it was necessary to go buy her one.

My other thoughts are regarding her living situation. The gaping, chomping issue is how she manifests her anxiety. I've bumped her up to about 18 hours of turnout hoping that will help her until I can figure out what is making her so anxious. We had a nice ride last night, lots of stretchy trot work and changing of bend. My Thinline pad came in the mail so we had to try it out.

ETA: Just wanted to add that we had some mild success this weekend - a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd with the highlight being a 69%. This was her first time showing at Training.

Comment

I have been wondering about the KK types as well and wanting to try them, I am going to keep them in mind for my own horses. Thanks for the insight and congrats on the success
                                      ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Well, it could be just me. I usually find contact issues related to saddle fit.
                                        Right around 4 mos of great work, a year or so in... the saddle isn't right anymore.

In fact, custom-ordered saddle arrived a week ago, and what happens? Guy won't take contact and puts his tongue over the bit. No problem with the bridle the week before, and used the old saddle again, no problem. Its not always their mouth, or your hands.

Comment

Working...
                                        X