• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Splint boots/wraps for dressage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splint boots/wraps for dressage?

I am looking to get some splint boots/wraps for riding dressage, as I am getting sick of wrapping and unwrapping my polo wraps. Maybe help me out and tell me what your favorite brand of wraps are and why?

Thank you!

I normally buy the DSB (Dressage Sport Boots) but honestly, I am a sucker for deals so I buy what is on sale. Really just a boot that has the fleece liner and is easier to clean than polos . When I hear splint boots I think jumpers.
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Comment

The dover sport boots are good too, I like the neoprene lined ones unless you can afford the real sheepskin lined ones. Neoprene are easier to clean, and the fake fleece heats up comparably to the neoprene. If you are hard on your boots or have wet footing, WOOFs hold up really well.
      When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dressage_Julie View Post
        When I hear splint boots I think jumpers.
        I do too! I just wanted to make sure fellow COTHers knew I was look for boots for my HORSE and not me

Comment

Really love my Toklat Valena's, though they can be pricey:
          https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/ist...&numperpage=12

Even more money are these, but I am very into the idea of keeping the legs cool these days: https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/ist...d=430101!WORLD

Any of these work: http://www.horseboots.com/1dressage.htm

I also like these and they are easier to clean than they look:http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=WB01243

Good prices on several options here: http://www.classicsaddlery.com/bootshorse/exercise.htm
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I love the Euro Pro / Askans -- great quality, last forever, can wash hot/ Have had front and hinds for my TB who interferes behind for 7 years, they are still nice.

However, I found that the Adelaide, Intec Boots are much cheaper at the same quality. http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=2594
            I don't know yet about longevity, only had them for a few months, but so far they wash very nicely and come out looking like new. (The Dovers are thick and stiff, I really don't like them.)

EDITED TO ADD: The Intec Boots velcro does NOT hold up. Boots come off during exercise. Haven't even had these for a full year. The above mentions Euro Pros/Askans are still going strong!
            Last edited by InsideLeg2OutsideRein; Feb. 16, 2011, 04:26 PM.
            "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

while I am not a "dressage only" person, (I event) I would second the WOOF boots. Mine have gone through hell and back and still look good for shows. I also like the Pegasus boots, since they give suspensory support. I have a pair for my big horse and they fit her wonderfully.

These are what I use on my TB for the front. I've had them for 5+ years, and yes some wear and tear but not much considering I use them every day, out on hacks/cross country, ect. http://www.doversaddlery.com/woof-al...04348/cn/1665/

For behind: http://www.doversaddlery.com/woof-si...04484/cn/1665/ These held up better than my front boots, just the straps and such but if you dont want to fork over the money or if you prefer the 2 strap boots.

For my new big horse, I use the Pegasus boots. They are WONDERFULL!!!!! I like them much more than the Professionals Choice Sports Medicine Boots. I got my Pegasus boots at an expo. They are also nice because they fit my big boned 16.3 hand horse and my 15.1 quarter horse. I have the "air boot". http://www.pegasusnw.net/COLOR%20AND...BOOT%20WEB.htm

I think its highly a matter of what you like and what fits your horse.

Comment

I like the Woof double locks--they lasted the longest of any boot I had, but they also are hot.

The dsbs/dovers, etc., don't last very long. I've never had a set last longer than six months because of the vinyl cracking. I don't know if that's due to the weather here (arid/dry) or whether it's from washing them in the machine. Needless to say, I bought a couple of sets of four of Professional Choice leather sport boots (and will wash them in the machine with leather wash/hang dry) but haven't used them yet. My friend who has them has been using them since Thanksgiving and they still look new, whereas the DSBs I bought at the same time are falling apart. These type of boots are not as hot as the woofs.

Because my horse travels close, I'm also interested in the hardshell boots. Veredus makes one for dressage called the Piaffe, with a breathable neoprene lining. However, at $400 a set, I just can't bring myself to buy them! LOL!

Comment

I really like the Woof Sport (or sometimes called Club) boots. At under $30 you can't really go wrong, and they come in fun colors if you want to deviate from black and white! I like them especially since I sometimes warm up or cool down by going for a quick trail ride, and they don't slip around in the mud or water.

Comment

I only use the Equilibriums now. They are easy to put on and wash very well. All the other boots just sit in the cupboard and don't get used.
                    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

unless your horse interferes, do him a favor and don't boot him. Boots do nothing to "support" tendons or ligaments (ask your vet), and only hold heat in, which render them more likely to tear or strain.

Boots or wraps are great for protection against interfering or banging legs against jumps, etc. Otherwise they are counterproductive.
                      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I used to use the DSBs but my horse got fungus on the front of his hind cannon bones and it took forever to get rid of it. Now I only use them when we are working in the fields or going for a hack. I don't need them for arena work because he doesn't interfere.

Comment

I use the Pelham-Ascot washable dressage boots. Tackliquidators on Ebay has them and also Tack of the Day has them from time to time. They hold up really well, even wash after wash. Nice fleece on the inside. I also bought a pair of the actual DSB sport boots and I don't like them nearly as much as the Pelham-Ascots. The elastic on the DSBs just wasn't stretchy enough.

Comment

Try Retacked on Ebay too...can usually find what you need there. The Pelham Ascot boots were a good idea!

Comment

I just got a set of baby pink pelham ascot boots on ebay and love them! I also have DSB's, t-foam open front and ankle boots, and classic equine legacy sport boots. I like them all!

Comment

I've been eyeing the stretch & flex. Do they offer any support? Is there any irritation post use? Those of you that have them; Do you use them front only or all around?

I have valenos and they are OK, not overly impressed. I'm looking to upgrade.

Comment

I have the DSBs for my mare. My gelding always inherits stuff from horses I no longer have or things the aforementioned moose has outgrown. He has the Dover Sport boots. I've had them with the fleece lining and with the neoprene lining. I much prefer the fleece. He has some Woof boots that are ok. He also has some ThinLine boots. The ThinLines are my favorite of his collection of boots!

I prefer to bandage, as I worry about leg fungus and I just wash the bandages after each ride. This being said, I really want to try the Ecogold dressage boots!
                                  Beth

Comment

I use the equilibrium stretch and flex (not the ones shaped like a PC boot with the strap under the fetlock, just the "plain" ones).

As someone said above, NO BOOT offers actual support. They only can offer protection. I only use them behind, and not every ride, because my horse occasionally will interfere behind. I bought 4 whites to use for clinics and such only because polos are a PITA. My main concern is the occasional brush, not consistent interference, because they are not heavy and do not have a strike plate. However with all the increasing evidence of heat build up being bad, bad, bad for tendons/ligaments, I wanted maximum lightness/coolness.

I love them--they wash well, look nice, offer the amount of protection I need, and do not rub, hold in heat, etc.
                                    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                                      unless your horse interferes, do him a favor and don't boot him. Boots do nothing to "support" tendons or ligaments (ask your vet), and only hold heat in, which render them more likely to tear or strain.

Boots or wraps are great for protection against interfering or banging legs against jumps, etc. Otherwise they are counterproductive.
                                      This. I use polos for clinics, and NEW boots for jumping anything over 2' or when my young horse was learning about round pens. Aside from that, they go naked.

Comment

I use the stretch and flex, too and they are the only boot that doesn't rub my horse's fur and that he doesn't mind wearing. He's rather funny about his legs. He will tolerate whatever but he'll let you know if he doesn't like something (stomping foot, not standing still etc.). I like these because they're breathable and don't trap much heat.

I have seen my horse brush his leg during lateral work when he's lost his balance for a moment and these have protected him from that. If he really interfered I don't think they would hold up. I don't use them for trail rides for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                                        X