• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Contact and connection to collection-bits, bosals, sidepulls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact and connection to collection-bits, bosals, sidepulls

Rather than drag up the NH threads here is a question that I think would be beneficial for NH'ers to hear a dressage perspective.

Is a BIT necessary for correct contact? If so why?

In other words, if the purpose of contact is to create the circle of energy and block energy from leaking out the front, can this not also be achieved with a sidepull, bosal, rope halter or even a neck rope?

If not, why?

What is it about an actualy bit that makes the energy blocking and recycling different (if anything at all)?

Those who believe that contact is defined as contact with a bit will say a bit is necessary. Those who believe contact can be established through things other than a bit will say it is possible to have contact with something other than a bit.

And then the whole discussion will degress into an argument about whether or not it's dressage, since this IS a dressage board.

Me? I believe it is possible to have contact and to close the circle of energy with something besides a bit, even with feel, in the absence of a physical connection. But it makes life easier if I concede that this kind of riding is not dressage.

I will be interested to hear the "why or why not" answers.
    Last edited by monstrpony; Aug. 24, 2007, 01:22 PM.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Jessica Jehiel wrote a very good reply in recent issue Dressage Today. While she seems to be a 'bitless' person, and I am a 100% bit person, her explanation I can understand and I would call it a good argument for bitless.

My arguments, there are 3:

-- bitless work on pressure the same way as bit, same way as your leg and seat. I cannot understand why people think a bit is not as kind. However a bit is more prone to abuse by the unskilled hand... but it just points to the fact some bitless are more severe, they prevent people from abusing it it e.g. hold onto to it for balance.

-- bit offers a huge range of aids... you can 'play' it ring finger, release and not throw away, invite the horse to chew away, right hand a little higher, outside a little firmer, 1 pound pressure, 2 pounds, 3 ounces... all up to the rider at the moment when it's needed, and according to individual horse. Unlike many bitless, it's not an 'on/off' switch. It means it is harder to use well, but there are infinite combinations.

I have tried to use a pressure halter. Sure you can bend the horse or bend the neck, but for the love of God, I do not know how to do flexion properly, hence there is contact but laterally the horse is not supple.

-- it is required in dressage competition. It is VERY unfair to school the horse in one type of equipment, then expect it to perform similarly in another set of equipment. Rider also need the practice. If you horse doesn't care one way or the other, it just means your horse is a versatile worker who adapts quickly.

Now I do believe there are occasions you want to use bitless. For instance you are mostly a trail rider and do cross training, and don't compete. I say bitless is fine. For instance your horse has teeth/mouth problem, or he is reactive to a bit for unknown reason, I would also use bitless.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your comments so far.

It would REALLY be nice if this thread remains educational and does not digress.

There is an opportunity for a polite conversation-you know like people would do in person!

Comment

I would say it is not possible to have correct bit contact without a bit. Heh.

But it's also pretty obvious that things like collection and suppleness are possible without any contact at all. Whether or not that's dressage ... I don't know. I'm just a recreational dressage rider.

Comment

I could probably work a horse toward collection with a bosal. What you need is something up front to stop the shoulders from escaping the energy created in the hindquarters in order to develop longitudinal bend. The lateral bend of the horse should properly be created by the rider's weight aids. However, not many riders are that good with understanding how to use that influence. Once the horse was completely trained to the weight aids, it should be possible to ride the horse in only a prayer rein, or loop around the neck. But, notice that with that again, you are controling the shoulder points. I have seen really good riders who have trained horses to go completely without anything controling the shoulders, but that is beyond my skill level. I would not want to start a horse from scratch without a bit as I have no death wish!

Comment

Originally posted by angel View Post
              I could probably work a horse toward collection with a bosal. What you need is something up front to stop the shoulders from escaping the energy created in the hindquarters in order to develop longitudinal bend. The lateral bend of the horse should properly be created by the rider's weight aids. However, not many riders are that good with understanding how to use that influence. Once the horse was completely trained to the weight aids, it should be possible to ride the horse in only a prayer rein, or loop around the neck. But, notice that with that again, you are controling the shoulder points. I have seen really good riders who have trained horses to go completely without anything controling the shoulders, but that is beyond my skill level. I would not want to start a horse from scratch without a bit as I have no death wish!
              Ever heard of Freddie Knie?

He trained with a snaffle, but he could ride a higer level dressage test correctly, without anything on the horse, no saddle, string around the neck, not anything.

Control is in the training of the horse and using the rider's weight, seat and legs for aids.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                Control is in the training of the horse and using the rider's weight, seat and legs for aids.
                Which is why I don't think a bit should be a requirement to show, although I understand the idea and the philosophy behind it.

Comment

Okay, question:

If you are using a bosal or other nose pressure - how does a horse "give" to the pressure? Wouldn't you have to maintain constant pressure to maintain connection? With a bit, the horse can relax the jaw and "carry" the bit, maintaining the connection and/or the rider can "soften" the pressure without giving up the connection. Just asking.

Nothing wrong with riding bitless. I often do it for trail riding and used to occasonally jump my long-deceased eventer bridleless. But I didn't call any of that "dressage," even if I were requesting a leg yield or shoulder in or whatever.

Comment

Please note that the OP did not ask if this kind of riding is dressage or not, she only asked for dressage riders' perspectives on the question of contact and connection using something other than a bit.

(I apologize for muddying the waters by bringing up whether or not this is dressage, because it should be an interesting discussion if it doesn't get derailed)
                    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

• Original Poster

OK...first i do want to be VERY clear-I am not asking to bait some kind of dressage or not question-though I never even thought that the point could be a subpoint of discussion.

I am not anti-bit either-I show hunters and have used a bit for years.

However I do ride often in a rope halter (think same action as a bosal) and after the NH/dressage threads and contact, etc it just got me thinking-I thought this would be the best forum for a discussion.

OK...to Sandy...I am just talking through this based on your response so here we go...

Maybe this is a fine line distinction that I am still not clear on but this is my understanding.

Whether I use a bit or halter, I am able to feel contact (ala pressure) in the reins...it can be as light as lifting the rein or as heavy as...necessary.

The horse with either can 'give' vertically (or laterally for that matter) and the pressure can be released as much or little in either.

Of course he won't be carrying a bit when it isn't there, but I still feel a blocking of energy leaking out the front and am able to create the 'bow' i.e. lifting the back.

I guess what I am wondering is if there is something not releasing by not having the bit (the jaw is all I can think of)...but can he lock it if there is no bit? Or can you still get a release there?

I guess the waters are muddied now so here is my dumber question of the day...why couldn't it be dressage? Is the bit a requirement? I thought it was simply the connection and circle of energy?

Comment

If it makes anybody feel better:
                        sidepull, bosal, rope halter can circulate energy as they can block the horse.

but they do not allow correct contact. Contact is a connection. Like another poster says, if a horse backs away from the blocking aid, there is no connection. contact is a horse participating in this joint communication, and push himself into it as he seeks this line of communication and instruction on how to balance.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MyReality View Post
                          If it makes anybody feel better:
                          sidepull, bosal, rope halter can circulate energy as they can block the horse.

but they do not allow correct contact. Contact is a connection. Like another poster says, if a horse backs away from the blocking aid, there is no connection. contact is a horse participating in this joint communication, and push himself into it as he seeks this line of communication and instruction on how to balance.
                          OK this is making a little more sense I think?

But why can't he push into the sidepull, etc just like a bit? To me he can back off a bit there would be no connection as well?

Comment

If the intent is to train to eventually achieve complete selfcarriage with a rider's weight on it's back, then however you teach that may in the end be without hardly any or as much contact as you want to train with, or NONE, AS LONG AS THE GOAL IS ACHIEVED.

I would say if and how much contact is in what you want to call the end goal.
                            I rode one TB that was trained to compete in the olympics that could be ridden correctly without any discernible contact, he was so light on hand.
                            If in those days we would have been playing around bridleless, I expect he would have been fun to try it on and see what we could do and stay correct.

Those of you riding today may try it and come back to us.

Comment

The problem that most people have in thinking about bits, is that it is the bit, itself, or the horse's mouth with which you need to establish "connection." This is just not so. The connection does not need to be mouth-centric. Yes, dressage definitions given in the hand book do specify the use of a bit, so a bit must be used if you are going to show "regulation" dressage. But, if you are not doing "regulation" dressage, anything that will limit the horse's shoulder points, and specifically control the diagonal path of energy from the shoulder point to the diagonal hind leg, is sufficient to establish "contact."

Comment

Sandy...I forgot to answer your question about the bosal. The bosal works sort of like a mix between a snaffle bit, and a side pull. You definitely do not want constant pressure across the nose or you will numb the nose to the point the horse just runs through. The use of the bosal is definitely a give and release sort of training, just as your snaffle should be. The knot under the chin should just keep the nosepiece resting on the bridge of the horse's nose...without hardly any pressure...just like the caveson of the regular snaffle bridle. You can take contact in both mecate reins at the same time, which acts on the bridge of the nose and the horse's poll just as a curb bit would work. When you are first starting, you can also use just one rein side at a time. When you take a rein...let's say the left rein...the pressure is along the right side of the nose, asking the horse to turn left. So you can put pressure on either side of the face, or put pressure on top of the nose, along with some poll pressure, just as you would do with any bitted bridle.

Traditionally, the horse was started in the snaffle as a 2-3 year old. But, when the second teeth began erupting, the horse was put in a bosal so the mouth would not be involved. After all the new teeth were in, then the trainer would go to a curb bit of some kind...many ultimately made a spade bit horse. This was considered the highest form of the art of vaquero riding.

The bosal is made of braided rawhide. I had to wrap mine in chamois because my horse was so thin-skinned the roughness of the rawhide would put marks just hanging there. The chamois worked very well.

Comment

• Original Poster

angel...'the connection does not have to be mouth-centric'-THAT is the essence of my question.

Also thanks for the background on bosal to the spade bit. Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by angel View Post
                                    Sandy...I forgot to answer your question about the bosal. The bosal works sort of like a mix between a snaffle bit, and a side pull. You definitely do not want constant pressure across the nose or you will numb the nose to the point the horse just runs through. The use of the bosal is definitely a give and release sort of training, just as your snaffle should be. The knot under the chin should just keep the nosepiece resting on the bridge of the horse's nose...without hardly any pressure...just like the caveson of the regular snaffle bridle. You can take contact in both mecate reins at the same time, which acts on the bridge of the nose and the horse's poll just as a curb bit would work. When you are first starting, you can also use just one rein side at a time. When you take a rein...let's say the left rein...the pressure is along the right side of the nose, asking the horse to turn left. So you can put pressure on either side of the face, or put pressure on top of the nose, along with some poll pressure, just as you would do with any bitted bridle.

Traditionally, the horse was started in the snaffle as a 2-3 year old. But, when the second teeth began erupting, the horse was put in a bosal so the mouth would not be involved. After all the new teeth were in, then the trainer would go to a curb bit of some kind...many ultimately made a spade bit horse. This was considered the highest form of the art of vaquero riding.

The bosal is made of braided rawhide. I had to wrap mine in chamois because my horse was so thin-skinned the roughness of the rawhide would put marks just hanging there. The chamois worked very well.

I know how a bosal works and have used them. Used to trail ride my event horse in one all the time. He had a pretty good "rein" on him for a nearly 17 hand horse, too. LOL But to me, pressure/release means "lost connection" or even, heaven forbid, "behind the vertical" ergo, not dressage. Or am I misconstruing the question?

Comment

• Original Poster

Now we are back to my point of confusion...
                                      One can have a lost connection with a bit so why can't one have a connection with a halter, etc.

Obviously many have already answered...but this is the core of my question.

Comment

The lost connection has more to do with the incorrect weight aids of the rider and/or the loss of balance by the horse...no matter what the vehicle used to stop the shoulder points. A horse behind vertical or with its nose in the air is never in balance. The bit hanger, or the bosal hanger should be vertical with the ground when the horse is in the correct position. By the same token, a horse totally lacking a headstall should have its head such that the line drawn from the poll to the corners of the mouth is vertical. Such a position puts the horse's nose just a hair in front of what we perceive as vertical.

Comment

Working...
                                        X