• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

am I being snubbed or not??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I being snubbed or not??

This may be more of a vent than anything else but it's really bumming me out. For whatever reason the person I've been taking lessons with has decided to NOT return Phone my calls. She did respond to one email to say "thanks for the check but she would not be available to give me a lesson on the date I requested". I've called and emailed her a few more times to find out when she would be available but so for have heard nothing!! It's been over a week and she has never not returned calls or emails before. I know she got upset because she came to ride for me while I was on vacation a few weeks back and twice the horses we're not in there stalls ready for her and there was some confusion but I paid her anyway because she did come out and spend time trying to "catch' the horse even if she didn't ride . (my bad) So I'm bummed because I really was learning from her and making progress. Am I getting the brush off here. I know she's going on vacation later this week but it's still not like her to not respond. Could the situation involving the horses not being ready for her cause her to act this way. If so, isn't that a bit ridiculous.
    . I feel like I've been pink slipped even though I'm the one signing the checks..

hmm...

If I were coming out to ride someone's horse and they were out twice, I'd be wondering if they were taking my time seriously.

I am not good about returning calls. it takes me usually two days to return calls. Email is far the best way to contact me. So Maybe is there a better way to try and contact her?

Otherwise, yea.. you might be getting brushed off. Remember, horsie pro's aren't usually showing up for a just a check. If they aren't riding and making progress with a horse, THen they aren't getting the word out that a horse is progressing with them. Word of Mouth is big. If you aren't being proactive then you are wasting time. At least that is how I feel.

Sorry you are having a time of it... maybe go visit and bring something tasty?? Put forth some exra effort to let them know you aren't wasting their time.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

But the OP said she was on vacation when the horses weren't ready - would you punish a client if the barn they were at didn't follow her instructions while gone?

Comment

Why don't you wait a while and call her back when she's more likely to answer the phone. she may be busy or she may have had it with the arrangement. not sure i'd blame her.

Comment

She's just not that into you.

Comment

Call her back. Leave a message along the lines of "I am worried that you no longer want me as a client. As a professional courtesy, could you please at least let me know one way or the other?"

The worst she can do is not return your call, which I would consider highly unprofessional and that would be enough for ME to drop HER.
            "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
              But the OP said she was on vacation when the horses weren't ready - would you punish a client if the barn they were at didn't follow her instructions while gone?
              the barn in question is actually my own private backyard facility but the guy I had taking care of the horses for me in my abscense had mistakenly let them out once when they were supposed to be in and the other time I messed up and told him to keep the horses out because I forgot she was coming ( remember I was on vacation ) and I called and apologized to her for that and I thought everything was fine..mmm

Comment

Sounds like she's giving you a bit of attitude. Could be that she's busy getting ready for her vacation and that she isn't thinking past it. If you know the dates she's gone, I'd wait till she's back and try again. If she's still brushing you off, then accept it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreene View Post

Comment

Or... could be she has had a problem and is not available to anyone. I would try and find out more info - ie: if she is OK.

Jill

Comment

Is she giving you the brush off? Yes. Should you try to remedy the situation? Depends on how much you need her input, as opposed to finding someone else. I can't blame her for thinking her time is better spent elsewhere. But if she's your only option for training help (unlikely), then make amends along the lines others are suggesting.

Question: Was the check you sent her for PAST training, or FUTURE training? If future, then she certainly does need to agree to schedule some more with you, to earn that pay. But if you're paid up on what she's done so far, it sounds like she doesn't find a future training relationship to be worth her while. Don't take it personally -- she's in a business where her time equals money and opportunity.

Originally posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
                      Yes, though "punishment" is the wrong word. I'd reevaluate the time I spend on that client if client forgets that I'm coming and forgets to instruct staff or ensure staff understands the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon View Post
                        Is she giving you the brush off? Yes. Should you try to remedy the situation? Depends on how much you need her input, as opposed to finding someone else. I can't blame her for thinking her time is better spent elsewhere. But if she's your only option for training help (unlikely), then make amends along the lines others are suggesting.

Question: Was the check you sent her for PAST training, or FUTURE training? If future, then she certainly does need to agree to schedule some more with you, to earn that pay. But if you're paid up on what she's done so far, it sounds like she doesn't find a future training relationship to be worth her while. Don't take it personally -- she's in a business where her time equals money and opportunity.

Yes, though "punishment" is the wrong word. I'd reevaluate the time I spend on that client if client forgets that I'm coming and forgets to instruct staff or ensure staff understands the schedule.

How much better can it get to be payed for not working?!

Anyhow, a week is a long time to return calls or emails. I like the idea of asking point blank, because the OP has better things to do than playing phone tag (with an unresponsive partner at that!!)

The OP messed up on the rides, but paid for them... big deal. But not getting someone to answer the phone or returning message and emails?! And there she calls herself a professional! tsktsktsk.....
                        Originally posted by BigMama1
                        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                          How much better can it get to be payed for not working?!
                          From the sounds of it, she didn't get paid for nothing. She got paid for driving out there and trying to catch horses that wouldn't be caught. As a dance instructor, I had a client who would continually either call at the last minute to cancel (too late to schedule someone else or make new plans) or not even call--just not show up. He would pay for it which is fine, but that didn't save me the annoyance of putting up with rush hour traffic to get to the studio to teach him, giving up an hour that I could have spent with my family or a student who takes their dancing seriously, etc. It's a lack of respect issue (not saying that was the case with the OP, but repeated offenses might appear that way). I was the second teacher that I know of to drop him.

OP, you got some excellent suggestions here. Apologize again for the mishap, assure her it won't happen again, and ask her if she'd be willing to work with you again. The worst that can happen is that she'll not answer again!
                          Jennifer Walker
                          Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
                          Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dixon View Post

I have apologized for the mixing up of scheduels,etc. Geez it's not like I killed someone ?LOL

Perhaps trainers should also recognize the "future" value of a client. I love taking lessons and I will also pay for extra training while I'm learning. If I find a tainer who's good , I'll stick with that person for who knows how long..it could be years. Why would any trainer want to threaten that relationship by being inflexible and uncooperative. A good one will try to make it work and not run off in a huff the first time the world doesn't turn according to their personal likes. Word of mouth is a big thing in this business. Yes I am human and god forbid I actually "forget" something or make a mistake. Trainers come and go..none of them are Gods but no trainer will be in business without clients.. All clients big and small. I pay on time..show up for lessons ready to go and last time I checked I was the one forking over the $$$$$. I like to give my business to someone who wants to help me instead of acting like "they're doing ME a favor" by showing up. This is not directed at any one individual just in general. ok...I hope I haven'' stirred up a can of worms here, that is not my intention at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bovon View Post
                              it's still not like her to not respond.
                              Unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by bovon View Post
                                I have apologized for the mixing up of scheduels,etc. Geez it's not like I killed someone ?LOL

Perhaps trainers should also recognize the "future" value of a client. I love taking lessons and I will also pay for extra training while I'm learning. If I find a tainer who's good , I'll stick with that person for who knows how long..it could be years. Why would any trainer want to threaten that relationship by being inflexible and uncooperative. A good one will try to make it work and not run off in a huff the first time the world doesn't turn according to their personal likes. Word of mouth is a big thing in this business. Yes I am human and god forbid I actually "forget" something or make a mistake. Trainers come and go..none of them are Gods but no trainer will be in business without clients.. All clients big and small. I pay on time..show up for lessons ready to go and last time I checked I was the one forking over the $$$$$. I like to give my business to someone who wants to help me instead of acting like "they're doing ME a favor" by showing up. This is not directed at any one individual just in general. ok...I hope I haven'' stirred up a can of worms here, that is not my intention at all.
                                It seems like your mind is made up ... find someone else who has the same values and concerns that you do.
                                *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

You're getting all mad, and the woman might just be busy. Or her mother died. Or she broke her leg. Or she didn't get your message. Ever think of that?

Once again. Give it some time, call her back, ask her if she wants to come out again. Try not to sound too miffed yourself

It's very hard to get people to come out to 'my backyard facility'. If they can get work closer to home, especially with gas at 3 and a half bucks, they are going to take it. The more time they spend driving between places, the more time and the more money they lose. Alot of people I have talked to have changed their lesson route since gas prices jumped up. Most trainers now charge mileage if they have to drive to another barn. Even if they get mileage, they are still losing that time. If the lessons were all at one barn, she'd teach back to back, and be able to fit in twice as many lessons, and get home in time to actually have her husband see her, and not have her own dog bark at her when she drives in because he can't remember who the hell she is.

Teaching riding, is, after all, a JOB. People have bills to pay.

Example. Get up at 7 am, start driving. Get to your barn, ride your horses. Drive to your first lesson. 30 minutes. 30 minutes of d****** around at barn 1 while student tacks up, student is running late, gee, sorry. You still have to teach for an hour. You start teaching at 10:30 instead of 10. You teach an hour. Student wants to chit chat after. Yu have to cut her off. You are still late to your next lesson, even though you drive like a maniac. Your student 2 is pissed that you are late, and leaves. YOu lose that lesson, but you have already driven there. You drive to your next lesson, and are supposed to ride two horses for someone who's out of town. The horses aren't in. YOu chase them around for a while, and about then, you've had it.

Comment

I was going to not answer this post, but then I realized I might be snubbing you I kind of agree not to make a mountain out of a molehill. Something crazy is probably going on in her life. I'd let it ride until after vacation then you'll know soon enough if she's giving you the slip.
                                      Kathy Johnson

Comment

She might be snubbingyou, but then she might not, either, just going into vacation mode and letting you slide.

Here is what I would do.

Wait until she is back from vacation. Only just back, though. Email her, and begin with an apology about the horses and your vaction. Tell her, briefly, how invested you are in what she has to teach you and your horses, in particular, and even describe some of the things you anticipate learning with her, based on what you have already started. Ask her if she is willing to continue with you as a student, and give her some base times and dates you would like to commit to with her. Give her, say five, the first one coming up within a week of your note to her, and ask her to get back to you.

Then, make some preliminatry calls to line up your second in line choice for a trainer. you may or may not hear from her. If you do, great. If not,go with your new idea for a trainer. Move on, learn lesson, and feel good, at least you apologized and did as well by her as you could, at the end.

She may rally to your positive attitude.

Good luck, let us know! I'd like to hear...
                                        Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X