Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

AMAZING article - rescuing the Lipizzaners at the end of WWII

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMAZING article - rescuing the Lipizzaners at the end of WWII

My husband and I were given an article from a magazine called World War II (11/09) about the amazing rescue of the Lippizaner stallions along with several top TB's and Arabians at the end of the war. It was one of the most incredible stories involving horses that I have ever read. We were both in tears at several points while we were reading. The passion and devotion that Col. Alois Podhajsky, General Patton, and several other high ranking officers of both the German and American militaries had for these horses was awe-inspiring. The story itself is extraordinary, and it's something I never knew about before. The article is really well written with a lot of great historical information, and it conveys beautifully the pride and nobility of the horses AND the people!

Just when I thought I was going completely crazy to be willing to make the kinds of sacrifices we do just have these amazing creatures in our lives, I realize that some of the most noble & influential people in history were "horse mad" too (p. 59 of the article includes a quote by Podhajsky in which he states, "I am bound to admit that I have always been what is commonly called 'horse-mad'")!

This article is well worth seeking out. I had never heard of World War II magazine before this, but the article is one of those "keepers" that you photocopy and hand out to all of your horse friends, especially dressage people!

www.foxdalefarm.us

The White Stallions

I thought everyone knew that story. But, since you didn't, you might enjoy an old movie called The White Stallions which is about this very thing.

Comment

Not that it's entirely accurate, but do you know there's a Disney movie out there about this?
      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

You need to watch the "Miracle of the White Stallions" an old Disney movie! It is all about the rescue and the parts where they were showing the riding, Alois Podhajsky did the actual riding! Talk about a tear jerker! Very well done! and some awesome parts where they are actually performing!
        Last edited by Arizona DQ; Jan. 30, 2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: misspelling
        We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

No, I never that movie existed! Will have to figure out how I can get a hold of it. What year was it made?

www.foxdalefarm.us

Comment

If you don't mind watching lo-res, it's on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvo2cWf2inA

(It's even got young stallions in the field "attacking" each other! )

Comment

LOL. The Lipizanner attack,

Since Karl Mikolka called them his 'little white mice', it's a little white mice attack.

Comment

Not only Lipizzaners and TBs were rescued after Germany surrendered. Polish Arabian state run studs were also involved. And unlike the Lipizzaners, some of the best Arabians were not returned to their rightful owners but exported to the US. Spoils of war an' all.

A wonderful, true account involving one of the most famous Arabians of his time (*Witez II) is, "And Miles To Go", by Linell Smith. The book is out of print but many libraries have a copy. Well worth the read for the history alone. It's also a darn good horse story.

Comment

I loved that book too.

I don't believe it was just Lipizanners and Thb and Arab that were disrupted by the war. Lots of eastern european warmbloods.

I'm told the Polish Trakehners and weilkopolskas at one barn I was at, were named after their ancesters who were named for towns in territory Poland lost.

Comment

The movie came out around 1963 and starred Lilli Palmer and Robert Powell. It was written by 2 people, one of whom was Mr. Podhajsky. I did not know the latter was in the movie.
                    Last edited by trafalgar; Jan. 30, 2010, 06:33 PM. Reason: error abd spelling

Comment

• Original Poster

The article we read said that General Reed, one of the US Generals involved in the top secret mission, had purchased an offspring from one of the horses he'd helped to rescue, and he rode her for 30 years!

Wow. I'm sure the Disney movie is great, but it would be so awesome to update it and see a modern-day, feature film version. It just reminds me of those types of obscure stories about the war that really capture the national imagination, like Defiance or the film about how the US and German soldiers stopped fighting each other on Christmas day and just lived as fellow humans just for that one day. I don't recall the name of that film.

www.foxdalefarm.us

Comment

The reality was pretty neat according to stories. My uncle-in-law's father being from Wyoming and a rancher obviously familiar with horses was one of those assigned by General Patton to move the horses. The stories that were told by my uncle were that he just talked about it as something he did in the war, rescued some horses, but when we read it about it, it does seem quite amazing to be able to move those horses to escape.

Of course in Wyoming you move horses loose and in herds, tied in lines, whatever frequently given the large spaces, but in Europe, it is very different, and doing it in the middle of a war something else!

Comment

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
                          Not only Lipizzaners and TBs were rescued after Germany surrendered. Polish Arabian state run studs were also involved. And unlike the Lipizzaners, some of the best Arabians were not returned to their rightful owners but exported to the US. Spoils of war an' all.

A wonderful, true account involving one of the most famous Arabians of his time (*Witez II) is, "And Miles To Go", by Linell Smith. The book is out of print but many libraries have a copy. Well worth the read for the history alone. It's also a darn good horse story.
                          I was going to post about this book, but you beat me to it. I read this book over and over as a child. *Witez II was my Arabs granfather and as a child I thought it was the most awesome thing.

Comment

The movie is very hard to find. I have it on VHS and then saw it in a bin of cheap DVDs. I grabbed that DVD. Love the movie.

Comment

fburton, Thanks for the youtube link. That will make for some good cabin fever viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by JNW View Post
                                I was going to post about this book, but you beat me to it. I read this book over and over as a child. *Witez II was my Arabs granfather and as a child I thought it was the most awesome thing.
                                Also, he's found in a lot of "sport" Arab pedigrees and was the sire of Sheila Varian's mare Ronteza, who beat all breeds at the Cow Palace reined cow horse competition in 1961 -- despite falling down during her qualifier! She jumped right to her feet and stayed on the cow. (See http://www.varianarabians.com/history/Ronteza.asp
                                You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

What many people sadly don't realise , is the damage done to the Lips in our own lifetime by the Balkan war...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL0374939120070803

http://www.lipizzan.org/pressrelease...lipizzans.html
                                  www.australiancolouredperformancehorses.com.au

Comment

fburton, thanks for the youtube link -- just spent the last couple of hours watching. Can't believe I never saw that movie before.
                                    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Comment

So in the scene when the Czech herd is liberated, Podhajsky is alarmed to see Arabian (stallions ?) running with the the Lippizanner mares. He asks,"You don't suppose they crossed the Lippizan mares with other horses?"

Did he ever get an answer to that question?

Comment

I believe the response to the question was something like "it's been a LONG war!"

Here is an article posted on another bulletin board:

http://horsesanddressage.multiply.co...he_Lipizzaners

In the comments someone posted an excerpt from Colonel Reed's memoirs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X