• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Albion Platinum Ultima Vs. Steffen's Advantage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albion Platinum Ultima Vs. Steffen's Advantage

I am trying to decide between a new Custom Saddlery Steffen's Advantage (Signature) or a used (in good condition) Albion Platinum Ultima. They are both about the same price and my horse seems to like both, as do I. Any opinions on which one would be the best one to go with? Pros or cons on either saddle?

Thanks.

Albion

The Albion new cost a $1,000 more then the Signature Custom. The better one that's like new is the way to go. The Albion has an ajustable tree. The Signature is not accoring to their website. The Custom comes in an ajustable style but it's again $1,000 more. The Custom has a eeper seat but they both have a eep seat an neihter is restrictive an they both have the rough tecture leather. I still like my Albion better. Plus Custom is not as goo at fitting as Albion is in Southern NJ.

Sorry about the spelling....my computer has taken a real islike to one of the letters on my keyboar! Guess which one!

If you get the ajustable tree one, they are both great, but I like my Albion better then the Custom Avantage that I owne.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Comment

Albion

I purchased an Albion SLK Ultima last June. I absolutely love this saddle as does my horse. It has a deep seat but you don't get stuck in it. I feel very secure in my saddle and it really made a huge difference in my balance. I had been riding in a Bates Isabelle. Also, as long as the leather is cared for properly, the leather on the Ultima holds up really well!! You can't see where my stirrup leathers are. A friend of mine has one as well that she has had for 3 years and the leather is the same on hers...you still can't see where the stirrup leathers are.

I sat and rode in quite a few saddles before trying the Albion. The minute I got in the Albion it was like I knew that one was the one. Good luck!

Comment

j
        Last edited by HollysHobbies; May. 26, 2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HollysHobbies View Post
          I chose the Advantage...I think that saddle's awesome, particularly if you have a horse with BIG movement!
          That's why I bought the Advantage for my mare! It is really easy to sit her huge trot in this saddle, plus it gives her complete freedom of movement in her shoulder.

I also like the fact that the seat isn't as deep as those of the other saddles I tried and it gives me excellent feel of my horse's movement.

Comment

I used to have the Albion SLK Ultima and just recently got the Signature Custom Advantage. The Albion got to where it was sitting down on my horse's spine in the back, and flocking wasn't able to fix it. I really like both saddles, but I think that the Custom sits your leg a touch straighter then the Albion does, but I don't find it restrictive at all. My horse is moving better in the Advantage then he ever has.

The Custom can be reflocked, though I don't know if the Signature line can have the tree adjusted. I had a Custom Royal Star several years that they were able to adjust the tree from a M to a MW - I don't know if they've changed their lines since then or not, though I know that they don't make the Royal Star anymore. It might be worth calling Fred at Custom Saddlery on the East Coast and asking. He's always been wonderful at helping and fitting saddles.

Overall, I like my Custom better, though the Albion is definitely my second choice. I haven't had this one very long, but the Royal Star that I had was used and still in amazing condition, and I've known several people who have had Custom Saddlery saddles for years with out problems or anything other then normal wear.

Are you able to take each on trial? Can you ride in one for a week straight and then do the same for the other to compare? I think that you'd probably be happy with either one honestly.

Comment

j
              Last edited by HollysHobbies; May. 26, 2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

My TB has has fairly good sized withers, though I don't think that I would call them sharkfinned. The Albion really fit his withers pretty well, the issue was that the channel was too wide in the back and would sit on his spine if you put any weight in the seat. Looked like it fit fine from the ground though so it took awhile to figure out what the problem was. My Saddlefitter says that the Custom fits his withers just as well and it doesn't sit on his back.

I believe that Dressage Extensions has the Advatnage on sale, though I don't know that they would do fitting. Custom Saddlery does keep some used, but you usually have to call to see what they have.

Comment

Albion

I will say that I ride a VERY shark finned OTTB in my Albion and it fits him very well. Not every horse is the same so every saddle will fit every horse just a little different. If you can find one to demo, I would highly suggest it.

Comment

I have just bought a fantastic second hand Platinum and am very happy with how they fit and how they can be changed. I was also looking at the Anky Pro one as that has exchangable gullets that appeals to me as my mare is only rising 4 year and has a lot of changing yet to do.

Comment

Eeny Meeny Miny Mo

It's a tough one. They are both nice saddles but the signature version of the Advantage is an off the rack tree size and not adjustable...that is why it is only in the $2,000 + price range. The fully adjustable tree Advantage is around $3,500....the same as an Albion SLK with the Ultima (buffalo type leather).

The Advantage has a slightly cut back pommel which is great for a high withered horse. The SLK comes with either a low or high head tree....which means that the high head is great for a high withered horse but some riders don't like the feel of it. I have this model and love it and so does my OTTB. He has decent withers but not overly high. I find the Albions seat not quite as deep as the Advantage but they are close and again....neither one is restrictive. You really do need to demo both of them to be sure.

I bought my Albion SLK used from Rick's Heritage Saddlery for $1,400 (was listed for $1,900 and I made an offer the owner accepted). My Custom Saddlery Advantage I bought from their store for $1,500 used. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have an Albion SLK and absolutely love it, but have not tried the one from Custom Saddlery.
                        Roseknoll Sporthorses
                        www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Used Albion & Advantage

There are a ton of used Albion SLK Ultima + on Fine Used Tack's website.....also, there is a used Custom Saddlery Advantage (the adjustable model) on Ebay in an 18" seat for $2,800. I believe both these saddles are returnable...I know Fine Used Tacks are and I think the Ebay one will let you return it after 7 days...it's also at a tack shop with a 100% good Ebay rating. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X