• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do dressagies even know what western is anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do dressagies even know what western is anymore?

The other day a friend and I were having the age old debate of dressage vs. every other sport on the planet and how much the others fall short (snort). I showed her this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90uitCdq54 video and she was shocked at how little she knew about the western riders and how much traning their horses go through too!!! Just thought I should post to try to broaden some of those horizons.

PS I do love dressage!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Honey, anyone can have an obediant and quiet horse that does his job. Heck, anyone can train flat flying lead changes, let a horse go like a stick and ride through a set of cones. The real challege of dressage is to do it correctly and that isn't correct by dressage standards.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Comment

• Original Poster

Honey!`

Are you the one (tempichange) I just said on another thread was not so nice??? Yep!

Comment

not dressage but no one said it was.

looks like a pleasant ride.
        A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I don't debate the fact that western riding is hard, or that it doesn't involve a lot of training on the part of both horse and rider. My issue in fact is not with western in the sense that involves different tack, different goals, or ideals; it is in what many competion riders produce. In my opinion, dressage furthers the horse's natural abilities and predispositions. We see the basis of our movements in horses at liberty, and then we act to improve or bring out the abilities of our mounts. On the other hand, I have never seen a horse at liberty lope with its head low or jog for extended periods of time. A horse has a natural stride length and way of going that makes it easy to travel and manuever without a huge energy expenditure, to me, western pleasure ignore this. That's not to say that dressage isn't taxing on the horse, and I really don't want to get into the whole debate of riding being unnatural, I just see dressage as a "lesser evil."

If you've ever watched a wild horse, or even a domestic one in turn-out, you can't deny the fact that they are amazing to watch when they cavort about. You know the image I'm talking about, something a bit like this:
          http://soil.uwyo.edu/sites/courses/c...d%20Horses.jpg
          If these horse were loping along like the horse in the western video, I don't think I'd have the goosebumps that I do when I see a horse at-liberty.

Comment

Are you the one (tempichange) I just said on another thread was not so nice??? Yep!
            She's also correct. Very flat with little life to it at all. A manufactured gait.
            *** 4 More Years ***
            *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
              I paticularly don't care if the comments were taken as nice or not. What they were, and are still, is truthful.

I don't doubt the preperation it takes to get a horse to a specific level of competition, it takes sweat equity to do so.

However, like Lynx, my problem doesn't lye in different tack or clothes, but rather what the end result of that training produces. As previous said, anyone can train flying lead changes, you can even do auto changes, you can train a horse to be as flat and obiediant as possible. It may be correct to that sport (or as many western magazines that I've picked up, subscribed to and read over the years will tell you it isn't correct), it isn't correct by dressage standards, not by a longshot.
              Kelly
              It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Comment

I can never show my STB that. She would be really po'd that somewhere in the world horses are allowed, no, encouraged to 4-beat. Sorry sweetheart, maybe in your next life you'll live with that kind of mommy!

Comment

• Original Poster

HMMMM

How much time have you guys spent around the western breeds (good ones). They as babies lope and jog all of the time (if they are bred well) no way is it manufactured and you consider it flat and lifeless because why?Its head isnt up and bobbing? THey are low for COWS but choose to show off their movement in a show like the WAR HORSES that do dressage instead of battle LOL> Its not lifeless just relaxed and very steady and how they are bred. I may be fighting this battle for a while huh?

Comment

God, Horses & WP

I don't see riding as unnatural, Look at the Good Book and you will see that our Lord rode a donkey, and that he is coming back on a horse..... so I think that if the Creator of the world sees the horse as fit to be ridden, then I for one will believe that the Lord intended for horses to be used for transportation, companionship, etc. I mean, when you look at it, He created animals first & then told us to hang out with them! No wonder it feels so good to hang out at the barn, the Creator of the universe even chose to be born in a hay manger...so when we want to ride horses, hang out in a stable or lay in the hay....I think it is the most natural thing on earth! Life as God intended....
                    Maybe the folks who see it as unnatural believe more in evolution? NOt sure.
                    If so, that's okay, it's their free choice to believe that, too.

About Dressage & Western, saying "Western" is a broad statement. There are many variations in "Western".
                    For sake of arguement, Western Pleasure...does nothing to further the useful life of the horse, actually premature collection usually causes arthritic changes in the joints, esp. the hocks, so WP is not for me. I am drawn to sports that encourage the lengthening the useful life of horses. Overall, you will see older, (Late teen) dressage horses at the pinnacle of the sport....and you will not typically see that in WP. Even in Endurance, the oldest horse to ever complete the Tevis cup ( the toughest 100 mile 1 day race) was 27 years of age....it is common to see old horses in endurance. One man I just met rides his 16 year old horse to top finishes in endurance on a regular basis,
                    I have seen 20 + year old endurance horses do a 25 mile Competitive Trail ride without breaking a sweat.....
                    The difference even flows over to the respective halter classes for each sport,
                    Western halter classes often reward horses that have conformational faults,
                    and Sport Horse in Hand classes are much more particular and have a rigid guideline to score horses, and where you actually get a score back, not a subjective placing......
                    I love western riding, just not WP, I have seen too many horses bred with faults for WP, because they will lope better with lower hocks, look prettier- regardless of tiny feet on a 1500 pd horse.....
                    One of our friends is a top team penner, and he trains his horses to approximately 3rd level.... as he also shows them in working cow classes, reining etc... He is a real horseman, knows his stuff, western trainer, though no WP guy, no way....
                    So, Saying "Western" is like saying you dressage rider rides english....
                    Of course if you told an Arabian show circuit person you rode english,
                    that would mean saddle seat!!!!!!!!!! LOL Sorry to be so off track.....WP is just a pet peeve with me & I hate to see horses suffer with premature joint pain!!!!!! I know, many dressage horses are on joint support, though overall you do see many more older dressage horses and not many WP horses in their teens.........
                    JMHO
                    ~*Ride Far*~Ride Well~*~ The Sky's the Limit~
                    www.firstgiving.com/christinahyke

Comment

so far this thread is proving that the answer is NO to the OP question: "Do dressagies even know what western is anymore? "

Comment

Its head isnt up and bobbing? THey are low for COWS but choose to show off their movement in a show like the WAR HORSES that do dressage instead of battle LOL> Its not lifeless just relaxed and very steady and how they are bred. I may be fighting this battle for a while huh?
                        Western Pleasure has nothing to do with "Cutting" cows. Most cutters I know think what the Western Pleasure people do to their horses is criminal.

I had a trainer that taught my quarter horse by working the cows More than half of his clients were dressage riders, very few were Western Pleasure.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFrHaEQReM

Then here is more contraversy
                          ~ Kimberlee
                          www.SpunkyDiva.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Not really

When you used the statement "Western halter classes" I knew how little you know about it. Halter is halter ... Western Pleasure is Wp... and this video is of Western Riding... the competition for several breeds. This horse is not four beating by the way his back end is not trotting ( i think thats pretty obvious). I think we can all learn more about eachothers breeds and disciplines without basing dont you? Anyway when you guys post your world champions on here and tell me you left the sport anyway then youll have my attention. When i posted western riding that was the name of the type of competion posted it is call the Wester riding class (has patterns will travel). LOL Ignorance can be quite contageous.

Comment

Western Riding is a tricky class. I would say most amateur ridden dressage horses would not be able to do a western riding pattern relaxed and on a loose rein. What a pretty ride to watch, thanks for sharing.

For those who aren't familiar with what a Western Riding class is here are more details on rules and the various patterns they use http://www.westernriding.co.za/westernriding.htm

Comment

People! Don't feed the trolls!
                                Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

• Original Poster

SM and Renae !

Thank you for your posting. I posted this world champion to show how nice these horses can ride. My mistake on the AQHA forums they post the dressage horses sometimes and everyone oohs and aahs over how awesome the musical freestyle is. THis is a hate it and keep away from it kinda forum.

Comment

The other day a friend and I were having the age old debate of dressage vs. every other sport on the planet and how much the others fall short (snort).
                                    I don't look at as this -v-that. I love horses, love riding horses and know that all riding has it's difficulties and challenges. I've ridden western, saddle seat, driven fine harness, jumped and ridden dressage. Personally, I prefer dressage and XC jumping, but know that not all riders OR horses are wired right for dressage, just like not all horses are WP horses, barrel horses, reining horses, hunters, park horses or EP horses.

Thank GOD for diversity! Enjoy your sport, enjoy your horse, that's what it's all about.

Comment

on the AQHA forums they post the dressage horses sometimes and everyone oohs and aahs over how awesome the musical freestyle is...
                                      Well, that should tell you something.
                                      Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

How much time have you guys spent around the western breeds (good ones). They as babies lope and jog all of the time (if they are bred well) no way is it manufactured and you consider it flat and lifeless because why?Its head isnt up and bobbing? THey are low for COWS but choose to show off their movement in a show like the WAR HORSES that do dressage instead of battle LOL> Its not lifeless just relaxed and very steady and how they are bred. I may be fighting this battle for a while huh?
                                        We didn't start it.

I spent a good time around cow horses. Well-bred quarter horses who, actually work on the ranch. These were rumuda bred qh's who took top ten in the AQHA Rumuda competition and went on to successful reining and cutting careers with ammie owners. They move nothing like modern WP horses, and look nothing like them as well.

They do stand up to years of actual work. I've seen some pretty successful WP horses, who do not look like that, and actually do define the ideals of WP. That doesn't define it, and looks quite... bastardized.

There is a difference between relaxed and mechanical- relaxed actually has forward motion, and allows that gaits to actually be utlized however. You can be relaxed and go that slow. Relaxation doesn't look lame. That is lame, or looking very sore.

While dressage has its basis in battle, it really came about and was sustained for royalty, it went away from it's war horse roots very quickly. And it is very much more than just a head set and head bob.
                                        Kelly

Comment

Working...
                                        X